Impossible

Infinitely

Just barely touching
The eyes I stare at
Dilemma Dilemma

 

We didn't shop for much longer after that. Sunggyu's word "tonight" kept going through my head. It was tempting to take him up on his offer, but I didn't see how it was possible. Even if he did get me out of my house, I couldn't go to his. We weren't married yet and that would only be an unnecessary scandal. And with all the paparazzi it would be a foolish idea to go to Sungyeol. I didn't know what plan he had, but everything I came up with seemed impossible.

The rest of the day seemed to go by in blur. We ate at a small diner which he excused himself from regularly. I couldn't even imagine what he was up to. Some of the pap seemed to be getting bored with us and started to leave. With it just me in most of the pictures they wouldn't be worth much.

Sunggyu came back then with a huge smile on his face.

"What did you do?" I couldn't help but smile back, even if I didn't know what was going on.

"We're going on vacation. We leave tonight."

That brought me up short. "Vacation? Where?"

"Just Jeju. It was the easiest to get a flight to in such short notice. I'm going to take you home and let you pack then we'll go to my place so I can pack. I'm not letting you out of my sight after what happened." His eyebrows furrowed and he glanced at my side. I felt oddly touched. He was taking his 'lover' title seriously. Then again, perhaps is was just Sunggyu's personality to be protective. Either way, I was grateful.

My happiness died a little when I thought of Sungyeol. This would only hurt him more.

"How long will we be gone?"

"I haven't decided yet. Do you need to be back for anything?" I shook my head. "No more than a week then." A whole week of nothing but Sunggyu. I blushed and cleared my throat to try and change the conversation.

Not many pap would follow us there but some might so we would have to share a room. I was already in panic mode.

 

When we reached my house Mother was thankfully not home. The servants greeted me only sparing Sunggyu a glance. He seemed a little awkward at first. I think he was battling with following me upstairs or staying in the entertaining room like a gentleman. I nodded to him and he followed me up the stairs. Almost shyly I pushed my door open. It felt like I was opening myself up to be freely judged.

What would he think of the color of my walls? Or the decor I had hanging? Then there was the large number of stuffed animals on my bed. And the fact that Sungyeol was standing there with an ugly scowl on his face.

I froze and braced myself between the two. The last thing I needed was a fist fight. If Sungyeol was ticked off enough he would punch something and I didn't want to explain to my Mother why there was a hole in my wall. "Sungyeol." I started but he ignored me.

"Let's talk outside." I knew he wasn't referring to me.

Quickly, I took a step in front of Sunggyu. Sungyeol looked hurt. "I'm not going to hit him. Even if he asks for it. Trust me." He my cheek and brushed past me. I glanced back but what happened next was out of my hands.

Sunggyu's POV

I was guarded. It unnerved me that he was in Haeri's room. What was worse is that she didn't look surprised. This was a normal thing for them. I bit down the jealousy because I didn't have the right to feel it. He took me to the back garden. We were right below Haeri's window.

"It's the only blind spot in their security." He explained.

Small talk. I sighed. "Get on with it."

"Watch yourself. I know what you have planned." He turned away. "You anger me because you can do things that I can't. I've been wanting to get Haeri out of this house for years and here you come within a month and find a way to save her. It's obvious she will grow an attachment to you, even if doesn't try to. I feel like I've already lost."

I was taken back by his honesty. He really truly loved her. That put a sick feeling in my stomach. I feel like I've lost to him in this moment. He was able to do the one thing I couldn't.

Love her.

Haeri's POV

I couldn't hear them but I could see them. If they started fighting I had a few plushies I could rain down on them.

My packing was complete. Since I didn't know how long we would be gone I packed two bags. One with clothes, one with other necessities. Sunggyu knocked on my door then. He looked oddly heartbroken.

"Sungyeol left."

"Okay."

 

The airport was crowded. I had left my mother a note letting her know that I wouldn't be home for a few days. I knew she would see it as running, but I didn't care. Sunggyu took care of everything. I just followed a long. Every once in awhile he would reach for me and pull me close. Either to reassure me or to reassure him I wasn't sure. We didn't talk again until we were seated on the plane. It wasn't coach but I preferred it this way.

"Have you ever been to Jeju?" I nodded yes but he wasn't looking at me. He was different since his conversation with Sungyeol.

I wanted to know what he said, to fix this somehow. "Sungyeol-" I started but he cut me off.

"Let's not talk about him. We're almost to Jeju, let's forget our reality for a few days." This little trip felt like it was just as much for him as it was for me.

I placed my hand on his and he absently twisted my engagement ring around. Yes, let's not live in our current reality for now but that didn't mean we could forget.

He wasn't really going to be my husband. This was all a show. I couldn't forget that while it was just us this week.

 

We landed in Jeju a few hours later, it was almost dark now. Sunggyu hailed a cab.

While I waited my phone rang. It was Mother.

"Hello?"

"You think you can escape that easily? I'm not as stupid as you take me for. I know what you're trying to do. You think marrying him will free you from this family? There's nowhere you can go, nothing you can do without me knowing. You think I don't know about that little band of yours? There's a reason I haven't crushed them yet. Your brother would be ashamed of you and how you're acting. It should have been you that died instead of him. I'm only amusing your little charade for now."

"Haeri?"

"Enjoy your vacation daughter. I'll be here when you come home."

Click.

"Haeri?" Sunggyu touched my cheek and I jerked back. The phone was still placed to my ear and tears were falling down my face.

This whole time. She knew this whole time.

He cupped my face. "Who was that?"

"My mother knows. She knows everything."

I was trapped and no matter how much I fought or screamed I wouldn't be free.

_____________________________________________