Rivalry

Infinitely

 

To my eyes that sees everything to be dark,
You’re the only one that shines brightly

 

 

Once at the aquarium we walked around for awhile in silence. Merely commenting on simple things. Like which fish was the prettiest or the sharks. It was all a warm up to more serious questions.

There were quite a few questions I wanted to ask him.

He had said that this date was to curb his curiosity but what was he curios about? How a chaebol led a private life of being in an underground rock band? Or, was it why I tried to chase off every man that my mother set me up with?

Seeing how he was still single, I could only imagine he chased away the girls. So, what was different about this?

"Just ask."

"Huh?" I snapped my head to look at him. He had a playful smirk on his face. He had been watching me; guessing at my inner thoughts.

"No. I was just wondering what you were curious about. Why this date was even necessary."

"I told you. If you want your private life kept from your mother-"

"I needed to go on a date with you." I finished. "But I think you're lying. It's just an excuse."

"Oh really?" He held the door open for me as we entered into the touch pool area. It was a bit more crowded here. Filled with children running around and many shouting excitedly about the aquatic creatures they were able to touch and hold.

"An excuse because you found me stunning and irresistible." I laughed at my own joke. Knowing full well that my appearance when we were first met was anything but that.

"That's close but it's more of a feeling of intrigue. I am extremely curious about your private life. The 'why' and 'how'."

"I don't talk about my private life with strangers." I stopped and looked at him. No matter what, I found he wasn't being truthful. There had to be something else.

Sunggyu sighed and looked down at me. "Then I guess I should quickly become acquainted with you." There was an odd lump in my throat I was struggling to swallow down. Something about that gaze...

"Should we go eat somewhere?" I nodded at his suggestion, grateful to look away.

~

She was quite guarded, which was understandable. Being a chaebol myself, I knew what it was like. There wasn't a single person in our worlds that didn't want to use us in someway. To exploit our beauty or wealth. She had said that her bandmates knew who she was but was that true? Did they know that she was the daughter of the second richest business owner in South Korea? Not to mention that she was the only child. Which put all of the pressure on her. Did they also know that if she didn't marry into another rich family she would be disowned?

Doubtful.

"How many siblings do you have?" She suddenly asked while I drove.

"I have a younger sister and brother. You?" I asked because it was proper.

She was silent for awhile. "It's just me now."

"What of your band life can I know? At least let me hear your reasoning for starting that kind of life."

Haeri looked over and smiled at me.

Badump.

"Just because. I knew Sungyeol and Dongwoo when I was younger. They lived just outside my neighborhood. So I snuck out regularly to see them. Sungyeol would sneak in." She laughed.

Badump.

"When we met Hoya and L, it just seemed natural to start a band since we were all musically talented. From the start I let them know who I was and exactly where I stood in this world." She glanced at me out of the corner of her eyes.

Badump.

"Even if they were only my friends because of the money I had confidence I could win them over with my personality. Besides, I don't like keeping secrets from people I like." She turned away and looked out the window.

It was only now I noticed how her hair laid across her shoulders, revealing the back of her neck. I took in a deep breath.

Badump.

I placed on a hand on my chest and focused intently on the road.

Badump.

"You okay?"

"Mm."

~

I kept my eye on him as we walked into the cafe. Before in the car he was acting like he was having sever heart palpitations. I had already asked a few times if he was okay. But he would just hum a 'yes' and refuse to look at me.

Whatever.

Since we didn't want to be recognized we chose something that was both nice and had little traffic. Like a gentleman he pulled out my chair for me. We ordered two drinks and a desert to share.

"I've revealed a little on my life. Don't you think it's your turn? Why is someone as good looking as you still on these marriage dates?"

He laughed humorlessly. "Don't you already know the answer to that question? Don't we all want to marry for love?"

I looked down. "Not necessarily. Just anyone my mother hasn't picked out for me. Someone who could both provide and protect me from her."

He nodded like he understood.

"Haeri?" I glanced up and my stomach dropped.

Nam Woohyun stood there with a cool expression on his face. He looked me up and down. Not once had he seen me dressed like this, only how my mother wanted me to appear in front of him.

I stood and Sunggyu followed, wrapping an arm around my waist. I didn't step on his toe this time. Woohyun looked at him and offered his hand.

"Nam Woohyun-"

"The CEO of EvoL Cosmetics. The leading business in that industry." Sunggyu finished.

"You've heard of me."

"It's not unusual in our world." Sunggyu in turn introduced himself as the CEO of T.O.P Fashion.

"You're company is going bankrupt. Isn't it?" Woohyun poked, trying to get a rise out of him. That's what he did. I looked at Sunggyu who kept a stoic look on his face.

"How do you two know each other?" Sunggyu changed the subject.

"He's the man I almost married." I answered.

Woohyun laughed. "Had her at the alter and everything. She chickened out." I narrowed my eyes. "You must be dating again? Good to see you've moved on." He continued. "It would be a shame if your time with me had caused you to turn away from men. I know how much you loved me."

I wanted to slap that smirk off his face.

"As it turns out," Sunggyu smiled, "I've managed to have her affections point toward me. Seems she didn't love you as much as you thought."

"Really? I doubt it." Woohyun taunted.

I grabbed the the hem of Sunggyu's shirt. "Let's leave. You can hold a mature conversation with this man."

"Running again." He sneered as I turned away.

That just sent my blood boiling. He always had that affect on me. Woohyun knew how to push my buttons. To make me react exactly how he wanted. This time, I would have the upper hand.

I turned back to him. "You really don't believe I've moved on?"

"I don't."

I nodded. "In that case,"

Without a second thought I turned to Sunggyu, placing both of my hands on the side of his face. It took him only a second to register what I was about to do. I tried to apologize with my eyes, I was clearly using him to spite Woohyun. But the man infuriated me! I couldn't back out now.

So I went on my tip toes and pressed my lips gently against Sunggyu's.

______________