Destiny

Infinitely

Play Song: Holiday by JJY Band

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhFECSKPKHc

 

Dear God, make me a bird so I can fly away from here.

 

Chapter 1

The rain hit the windows hard. Traffic was heavy and the muggy stench of all the bodies on the bus was about to make me gag. Music blasted in my ears, effectively helping me ignore any talkative older women or the erted eyes of the men.

Today I purposely drew my make up on thick and dark. My hair was down with loose curls around my face. Ripped jeans and a "don't mess with me" look completed my appearance.

Mother wanted me to go on a blind date. Again. Being the only child of the President of Hyorin Cosmetics had more disadvantages than anything else. Being a woman I wasn't able to bring anything to the family so I needed to marry into another rich family so he could help grow the company. Having my love life ruled by politics and money made living almost unbearable. At least three times a week I had to meet men. Today was no different. I was to be a decent woman with the grace of a falling petal and the poise of a swan..or whatever.

Screw that. I make them regret meeting me.

 

We were at the second to last bus stop and another wave of bodies joined while a smaller group got off. That left an ugly amount standing with only one seat left. The one next to me. Everyone eyed my appearance finding me, "outlandish and unapproachable." Exactly what I wanted.

That is until a young man pushed through the crowd and slid in next to me. It would have been understandable if he was dressed the same but he was in a fine suit with perfectly cut hair. Completely chic. I scoffed.

He looked at me out of the corner of his tiny eyes. I met them.

Mistake!

This man had the most beautifully intense eyes I had ever seen. They were dark until the sun crossed over them, giving the brown color depth. Quickly, I turned away. I adjusted my headphones to hide my embarrassment and turned up the volume.

After that I was completely aware of his presence. It was the longest 10 minutes of my life.

When we reached the last stop I fought the crowd to get out. The chic guy had already started making his way to wherever he was going. I was both disappointed and relieved.

The walk was nice. There was still a good walk to the hotel where I would be meeting this guy. I took my time and enjoyed the weather, no rush.

My phone buzzed so I slipped off my headphones and answered it.

"Oppa!"

He chuckled.

"Where are you right now?"

"On my way to a marriage meeting. Mother picked someone else out for me."

"I'm guessing you're dressed scantily then."

"It's embarrassing how well you know me."

"Don't freak him out like you did the other guy. You're mother wouldn't let you out of the house for a month!"

"Araso,  Oppa. I'll see you tonight."

"Take care."

I sighed and looked up at the hotel. Let's get this over with.

~

My mother had once again put me up to one of these blind dates. It was already hard enough to get rid of the chauffer, might as well deal with these when they came. By being neither a jerk nor sweet, I repelled these naive and low self-esteem women by being completely boring. No one likes boring.

I checked my watch. She was late. That wasn't a first, they usually liked to arrive "fashionably late". And it wouldn't be a first that they didn't show at all, which was fine by me.

According to my mom, I needed to marry a rich women because the company, T.O.P Fashion was going bankrupt. It didn't really matter to me. I lived off of my own money. Had my own house. The only way my mother tried to control my life now was through marriage.

I sipped on my water as I waited and almost choked on it. My heart started to race. One of the waiters was escorting a young woman towards my table. She wore ripped blue jeans and the eyeliner on her was killer. The headphones were now around her neck and the moment of shock followed by the glare she sent my way had me choking down a laugh.

Her appearance on the bus had me second guessing but seeing her standing, it was an entirely different feeling.

She reluctantly sat in front of me. It seems her original plan to send me fleeing was crumpling away.

"What would you like to drink?" I should have bit my tongue. Never would I marry a girl my mother wanted me to marry. Never.

She narrowed her eyes. "There's no point in this charade. You're welcome to say I disgusted you or I came on too strongly." She smirked. "Come up with whatever you want."

"Whatever? Even if I was to say I was intrigued by you and was planning on seeing you again tomorrow night?"

She stood full force. "I'd make you regret it."

I believed her.

"It seems we have fulfilled our mothers' wishes. We met and spoke. Though it didn't work out."

With that she turned and walked out. The air left my lungs in exasperation. She was a girl I would have wanted to see again.

~

"Oppa!" I grabbed Dongwoo by the arm. He was tuning his bass guitar.

He looked me up and down. "Is there a costume change I wasn't aware of?"

I laughed. "No. Just did some deterring today."

"Ah yes. Because a y woman in ripped clothing is something to turn away from- OW!!"

Sungyeol came up behind him and smacked the back of his head. "I'm assuming you were successful by the smile on your face?" He asked while Dongwoo nurtured his noggin. I nodded. He patted me on the head. "Let me know when your mother finds out. I'll help sneak you out of the house."

Myungsoo looked up from his guitar. "Change. We go on soon."

I saluted. "Yes sir." I glanced at Hoya, who was sleeping soundly against the speaker cases. I rubbed his hair as I passed by, making him grumble in his sleep.

The five of us were in a band called Infinity.

Sungyeol, the drummer.

Dongwoo, the bass player.

L, the lead guitarist.

Hoya, the lead singer.

And then there was me. Moon Hae Ri. Another guitarist like L. Most of us knew each other from birth. Hoya and L we met in highschool. Since then, we were inseparable. Together forever. Infinitely.

~

I didn't want to face my mother. Not after another failed marriage meeting. She would have two more lined up for tomorrow. When I stepped into the house, I was wary.

My little sister, Jieun, was playing on her phone.

"Where's mother and father?"

"Out."

I sighed with relief.

"Assuming the little meet and greet didn't go so well?"

"When do they ever?" I collapsed beside her and crushed her to my side.

"O-ppa!" She shoved me away with a laugh. "Oh!" She sprung up and came running back with two tickets in her hand. "Can you take me? Pleeeaassse!!!!"

"What about your friend, uh, Jack or whatever…:

"Jackson. And he can't make it. I don't want to go by myself! Please!" She grabbed my hand and started shaking it around.

"Alright! Alright!"

"HURRAY!"

She threw the tickets at me. I picked one up and looked at the band we were going to see.

"Infinity?"

~

Freshly showered and changed, I felt more like myself. I got rid of the heavy makeup and went for a more subtle look. It was still tough though. Had to be for my on stage image.

Hoya swung his arm over me. "Are you ready?"

"Are you?"

The crowd started to chant our name.

"I live for this."


 

There was once a time that I believed in destiny. That meeting someone more than once in a day meant something. As time passed and I matured I began to lose such hope. Hope that destiny wouldn't find me. That love wouldn't find me.

That is until today. The day I met him.

 

 

The stage was dark. Smoke rolled from the drums and out into the crowd. We nodded to each other.

I took in a deep breath. As I let it out I drug my pick across the guitar strings which got the crowd going.

The lights came on.

The drums started playing.

Hoya's voice made the entire crowd fall in love with him.

This is where we belonged.

This. Is where we ruled.

~

The lights were off but I could see the bodies on stage. One made the guitar strings scream and everyone shouted.

I winced.

When the lights did come on and I was able to clear my vision my lips started to part.

It couldn't be.

She looked different but I recognized the hair and headphones. She traded the jeans for black skinny jeans and the makeup was much lighter.

I thought she was intriguing before but now she was actually pretty.

No.

Seeing her on stage. The way she danced around and sang along. She wasn't just intriguing and pretty.

She was captivating.

Completely demanding attention. Not once in the hours that passed did my eyes stray from her. They couldn't.

"Oppa!" Jieun pulled my ear. "Let's go home before it gets crazy!"

I shook my head.

"You want to stay?! ASA!"

I didn't think I could leave.

It suddenly dawned on me that I never got her name. Not even from my mother. I knew her household was Moon but besides that…

The concert ended and I felt dissatisfied. In a rush I said goodbye to my sister, hailed her a taxi, and started making my way outside; around the back. They were there, loading the truck. Shyness hit me, which was unusual. She was laughing with her band mates which I reluctantly  noticed were all guys.

With a swallow, I made my way towards them.

~

Dongwoo made a funny joke about something I forgot about when he started walking towards us.

"Are you stalking me?" I marched towards the man I had a marriage date with.

He smiled coyly, hands lifted. "If that was the case I wouldn't have shown myself now."

"Who is this?" Sungyeol walked up behind me. He put a protective hand on my shoulder.

"My name is Kim Sunggyu. I had a marriage meeting with this woman today."

Sungyeol narrowed his eyes. "You're not welcome here."

Sunggyu lifted his hands. "I merely brought my sister to a concert that she wanted to go to. After seeing the same woman for the third time today, I felt it was necessary to at least say 'hi'. Besides, I imagine certain people don't know that someone like you is in a band." I stiffened.

"They know who I am. So you have nothing over me."

"But does your mother know?" I met his eyes. That were calculating. Freaking beautiful eyes.

"What do you want?" I growled through my teeth.

"Go on a date with me."