Promise

Infinitely

 

Please don’t lose me
Like the spring wind that passed over me
Can you save, can you save me

 

 

"A date?" I looked him up and down. Though it was a different suit he was still dressed uncomfortably stiff. The hair was too perfect. The posture was too perfect. If my mother was here she'd be dragging us to the court house now.

Sungyeol stepped in front of me. "She's not in a position to accept your demands."

For the first time it seemed like Sunggyu looked up at Sungyeol. There was a strange tension in the air. "Is she yours?"

I scoffed. "I'm no ones."

"Then you should be able to accept my proposal."

"I don't understand." I said from around Sungyeol's side.

"What is that?" He looked back down at me.

"By going on a date with you I understand I'm getting your silence of my private life. But what do you get out of it?"

He smiled. It wasn't coyly or even calculating. It was a genuine smile that made him look like he was laughing on the inside.

"Let's just say I'll get to curb my curiosity."

~

"You shouldn't have agreed." Sungyeol started fussing as soon as we got into the van. Hoya was already asleep in the back while L and Dongwoo discussed a rhythm for a song they were working on.

I looked back at Sungyeol, who had vigilant eyes on the road. His hands were squeezing the steering wheel tight.

"It's just a date."

"I don't trust him."

"You don't trust any man that talks to me."

He sighed. "Haeri…don't go tomorrow. Or at least, let me go with you."

I laughed. "That defeats the whole purpose of the date."

"Is it really that big of a deal that your mother finds out?"

I was silent for awhile. Yes, it was. She was cruel, brutal, and unforgiving. She would rip their lives apart just by being my friends. It was true that by agreeing to Sunggyu's demands there was no guarantee that he would keep his word. But wouldn't it be better to try?

Sungyeol called my name.

"Yeah?"

"Just be careful."

"Always."

*The Next Day*

To try or not to try. That was the question.

My entire room was covered in clothes. I was teetering towards a similar to look to what I had on the bus, but at this point it was mute. There was also the "casual-because-I-didn't-care-about-looking-pretty-to-him-but-I-did-just-a-little."

Or, "look-at-me-I'm-the-rich-young-heir-to-my-father's-billion-dollar-company."

Or, "I'm-young-and-beautiful-look-at-my-pigtails."

Then there was my stage image. Which I wore to give myself both confidence and security.

Oh the decisions.

There was two small raps on my window. Sungyeol must have sneaked in again. Without giving a glance I reached behind me and unlocked the window. He slid it up and stepped in with ease.

"You didn't even check to see if it was me. What if I was a burglar?"

"Then you wouldn't have knocked." I laughed at his exasperated face.

He looked around at my mess. "What are you going to wear?"

"That's what I was deciding."

"How about this?" He held up a blue sweater and purple sweat pants.

I gave him a look. "You're just trying to make me look ugly."

He shrugged not denying.

"I think I'm going to wear my usual."

Sungyeol stiffened.

"What?"

"Don't you think you should wear something a little more formal?"

"Why? We're just going to an aquarium."

"Let me drop you off."

"He's actually coming to pick me up."

Sungyeol grabbed my shoulders and turned me to him. "Haeri. Don't-" He swallowed.

"What?"

"Don't fall in love with him."

I laughed. "Why would I do something stupid like that?"

"Just, don't. Please." He seemed truly desperate.

"Okay."

"Promise?"

"Promise."

He huffed, seeming a little relieved.

Once Sungyeol left to go home, I decided on jeans with a loose top. My headphones were around my neck. Eyeliner, minimal. I bit my lip, somehow I was feeling a little excited.

There was a knock on my door. Mother stepped in and my heart dropped in my stomach.

She looked me and down. "What are you wearing?"

"I'm going out."

"Not dressed like that."

"I'm going on a date. At least let me be myself." I shot in the dark. Her eyes changed at the word 'date'.

"Is it that young man I set you up with yesterday?"

I didn't answer.

"If that's the case then you must dress better. He doesn't need to see this wild side to you."

I wanted to laugh at the irony.

The doorbell rang. "That's probably him. See you later mom. Love you." I kissed her cheek and rushed past.

The butler opened the door and Sunggyu, wearing white pants and a light blue shirt with rolled up sleeves, walked through the threshold.

Mother wasn't far behind me and managed to grab him before I was able to get us out the door.

"Kim Sunggyu right?"

"Yes, Ommani." He smiled.

"Give us a moment. My daughter needs to change. I apologize for her wardrobe." She reached for me but Sunggyu slide his arm around my waist.

I stepped on his foot.

He winced a little but kept his cool. "Why? I like this look of hers."

My mother took a couple steps back in shock.

Sunggyu bowed. "I'll bring her home safely."

"Y-yes."

We stepped outside and he continued to me to his car. It was light blue, similar to his shirt.

"You can let go of me now."

He smiled. "Why? I like this. Feels like we really are going on a date."

"Whatever." I bit the corner of my mouth to keep from smiling.

_______