Tonight

Infinitely

My empty eyes
My two lips that are at a loss for words
My heart stops at your sigh

 

Sunggyu walked me home after the run in with the dogs. It was almost midnight. I guess if Mother caught me, I was with the right person. But what I could never guess happened next. Sungyeol was leaning against our gate. He looked a little disheveled. I let go of Sunggyu's hand and went to him.

"Sungyeol-ah! Are you okay?" He looked up in surprise.

"Me? I've been worried about you! You haven't answered your phone and the other guys hadn't seen you! I heard the paparazzi lost your trail and..and.." He was yelling and I winced. My phone battery had died while being stuck in the tree but I was going to keep that to myself. His fists were clenched.

"I'm sorry."

He just glared at me. I really hadn't meant to worry anyone. By now I thought it was just assumed I would be with Sunggyu. It's just the way things had panned out. I would apologize to everyone profusely when I got a chance.

Sunggyu placed a hand on my shoulder, scaring me. "It's not her fault. It was because I had decided to try and flee the paparazzi. We got lost and her phone battery died in the meantime. Should I give you my number in case it ever happens again?" He told the story, but left out the buiding and dogs. Wise choice.

"Don't let it happen again." He practically growled.

"What's wrong with you?" It slipped out before I could stop myself. Sungyeol looked at me with a hurt expression. This wasn't the friend I remembered. He never cared if I dated before (not there was much of it), he was always happy go-lucky. This Sungyeol was scaring me. I didn't know if I could handle his anger. "Wait-" I grabbed him before he could walk away. "That's not what I meant. I just- You're confusing me. I've never seen you act this way before. You've never been angry with me like this."

"You've never acted this way! What really happened to make you agree to this? Is someone black-mailing you?" I hadn't told them about Woohyun and what he threatened, I didn't want them to feel burdened.

"No, of course not. I'm just trying to get my mother off my back. We talked about this! I'm only going to be married for a year. It's not that long."

"Long enough..." His eyes shot up to Sunggyu. "Remember what I told you Haeri? You promised."

"And I will keep my promise. I won't fall in love with him. Just be patient, in a year I could be free."

"I'll see you tomorrow."

"Sungyeol!"

"Let him go." Sunggyu grabbed my wrist. "Let him sort out his feelings."

"I just don't understand."

"I do. So trust me." He brushed my hair back.

I had lied. I did know why Sungyeol acted like that. It was impossible for us. For so long I had taught myself to see him as a brother. Now, he was nothing else to me. If I had returned his feelings my family would have torn him apart. And being a woman in this society meant hands and legs would be tied with tape on the mouth. So I shut out what I could have felt for him until there was nothing left.

Mianhae. For the both of us.

~~

She looked so exhausted. I wanted to carry her to bed and tuck her in. Was is bad I felt that way? Her head was down and we were taking slow steps to the house. Haeri pulled out her keys but before she could even reach for the doorknob the door swung open. My first thought was a maid but it was her Mother.

"Finally." Haeri winced.

If I could I'd pick Haeri up now and head to my apartment. It wasn't far from here. In fact-

"Sunggyu, would you like to come in for a quick snack?" Her Mother offered but her eyes were guarded.

I bowed. "No thank you. I need to return home myself. Goodnight Haeri." Without thinking much about it, I leaned down and kissed her forehead. "Call me when you're alone, okay?" She barely met my eye and she had a slight blush. The affects were just for our roles and I made sure to say my last comment louder than necessary. That was all the protection I could offer my fiancee.

~~

My forehead burned. It felt like he seared a mark on my head with his lips. He had trembled a little. I didn't want to touch the spot, didn't want to wear down its affect. Or the strength in seemed to give me.

"Inside." She practically snarled.

My breathing was hard. The last time she acted this way was when I had left Woohyun at the alter. Most elites knew what happened behind closed doors. It happened in their own homes. And Brother wasn't around to protect me from her anymore.

I stepped inside and braced myself.

~~

If I heard any yelling I would break the door down. I was still standing outside their house waiting for Haeri's light to come on. It was taking too long. Of course she could have crashed straight on her bed. After an hour I turned around to start walking home.

 

The Next Day

We were out shopping. The two of us, the paparazzi, and four bodyguards. Two for the each of us. According to the papers we were the new hot couple. There were people wanting our autographs. Hence the protection. It was nice to at least get the paparazzi out of our faces for awhile.

Haeri faked it at first until she saw this grunge looking store. More hippy. "Do you want to go in?"

"Of course. But that doesn't mean I can." That was true but I would find a way for her.

I placed my hand around her waist and she winced a little. She still wasn't used to me touching her. "Let's go in there." Haeri pulled just enough away so my hand was on the small of her back.

She was browsing through the shirts. I noticed she wouldn't lift her right arm to push the hangers aside even though she was right handed. In fact, everything we did today that required the use of arms she had used her left. When eating she just said she was trying to create bad pictures.

"Sorry. If I don't try anything on it would look weird." Haeri had a few shirts and skirts in her hands. I didn't mind waiting on her.

"Of course. Go." I placed my hand on the same spot as before and she shied away. Just to make sure it wasn't me I pushed some hair behind her ear and kissed the top of her hand.

She didn't pull away, in fact she smiled. Something was wrong. What happened after I left her? I watched her walk to the fitting room. There was a light limp. I decided to wait until she opened the door to show me her outfit of choice when I jumped her.

~~

Sunggyu flew in so fast I didn't have time to react. He locked the door back and looked down at me with worried eyes. This place was too small and I was too close. I couldn't think. He swallowed and reached for the hem of my shirt.

I hissed. "What are you doing?"

He ignored me and lifted my shirt, despite my protest. I knew what he was about to do.

"W-wait."

The movement paused just enough to show my right side. He had lifted my arms over his shoulders so my side was in full view. He stared at the spot in the mirror before looking at my bruised, swelling skin. I felt so ashamed. I squirmed, trying to turn away but he held me.

"I would have known if this happened on our field trip." He seemed so shocked by my marred skin. Didn't he know?

"This happens in every househo-."

"Not in mine." he bit off my sentence.

"That's because your sister has a brother to protect her." It was a whisper but he heard me. How could he not. My mouth was in line with the side of his jaw. It tensed.

"Then I'm getting you out of there."

Sunggyu hadn't lowered my shirt. Knots were forming in my stomach. He swallowed and sat down on the bench, pulling me with him. My forehead was against his temple. Our breaths made the room hotter. I was choking on it. My eyes went to his lips. I had tasted them before but never without someone else's eyes watching. Even in the park, Sungyeol was there.

Would the kiss feel different? I wanted to know.

"Tonight."

His voice startled me. My mind had already tried to find the next thing to cover up the pain of last night. Sunggyu's arms wrapped around me, so protective, so strong...I didn't know if I'd be able to keep my promise after all.

~~

I would get her out of there. I had to.

___________________________________