Chapter Two: Beginnings

The Boys Next Door

'
I eyed the profiles and looked at them one by one.
tumblr_nsik4jMEP51slxpfoo5_540.pngtumblr_nsik4jMEP51slxpfoo4_540.pngtumblr_nsik4jMEP51slxpfoo3_540.pngtumblr_nsik4jMEP51slxpfoo7_540.pngtumblr_nsik4jMEP51slxpfoo6_540.pngtumblr_nsik4jMEP51slxpfoo1_540.pngtumblr_nsik4jMEP51slxpfoo2_540.png

I smiled slightly, enjoying myself as I read each detail and message each person left for me. Of course, it wouldn't be easy to remember all of them immediately, but I appreciated that they gave me a guide of some sorts to learn who they are. Sighing I turned to my bags and shook my head. Unfortunately, there were other things I needed to accomplish first. I began to sort out my things, and organize my clothes when I heard a knock on the door. I got up and opened the door slightly. "Hello?"
Initially, I saw no one. I furrowed my brow before opening the door wider. "What--"
"BOO." 
I screamed and jumped backwards. I heard a chuckle as I clutched onto my chest. "I'm sorry, princess. Did that scare you?"
I looked up to see another cheekily smiling guy, with an extremely defined facial structure. I grunted softly before straightening myself. "Why yes, yes it did." 
He laughed before tousling my hair. "Good to know."
"Hey!" I protested while swatting his hand out of the way. "Excuse me, but you shouldn't really be touching other peoples' head. It's rather condescending.
" I frowned as I took a few steps backward. He looked at me blankly. "Oh, was that not a normal thing to do?"
He bowed. "I'm sorry! Please forgive me princess!"
 
I rolled my eyes, hearing the teasing tone in his voice. "Oh please."
I looked up at him as he finished bowing. "Well, is there something you need..." I paused and looked at my wall to see if I could figure out which one he was. "Uh..Soonyoung...?"
The guy blinked before bursting out into laughter. I tilted my head. Was I wrong?
He shook his head and grinned. "No way! Do I even look like Soonyoung hyung?!" he laughed louder, as if my words made zero sense. I frowned again and looked back at the wall. "You do to me..?"
The guy chuckled before making his way into my room and pointing to the guy with the most stoic expression, completely opposite of the smiling creature in front of me. "That one's me."
I looked at him, unamused. "There is no way that's you."
He cleared his throat before pressing his hands on his face and getting rid of the smile on his face. I squinted, making sure that my eyes weren't playing tricks on me. "I'm Lee Seokmin, princess."
"Mmm..I see it."
"Yeah! It looks like me right?"
"Yeah, yeah. When I tilt my head a little and close both my eyes, maybe."
He scoffed before shaking his head yet again. "A disappointment, that's what this is." he sighed, seeming distressed before shrugging. "Well, I'm Lee Seokmin regardless of my resemblance to the photo so..." he smiled again. "Get use to the name."
"I'll try."
Seokmin sniffed slightly then head back towards the door. "And in all seriousness, I'm sorry if any of my actions annoyed you. I'm usually like that." he laughed sheepishly before turning to me. "You do forgive me, right?"
I hummed. "I suppose."
He grinned and pumped his fist. "Woo!"
"But back to the topic at hand," I raised an eyebrow. "Why did you come here?"
"For one thing, I did want to greet you personally one-on-one, because that's the normal thing to do, and I also was the one sent to fetch you for dinner." he nodded.
Oh gosh, they really do treat me like a princess.
"Oh, alright. Although I don't really need to be fetched.." I trailed off.
"That's what a princess needs, is it not?" 
I smiled slightly and shook my head. "This princess nonsense is ridiculous.  My parents did refer to you guys as family so I don't see what makes me any different from you. Call me Haneul, it's more normal." 
He widened his eyes. "How could I ever do so, princess." he bowed again. I scoffed before pushing him out of my room. "Okay okay, I understand that you want me to know how much you joke." I rolled my eyes. Seokmin straightened up. "Was it that obvious?"
I glared at him. He put his hands up in surrender.
"Alright, Haneul it is."
I gave him a firm nod. "Good." I closed the door behind me and followed him to downstairs.
"...How about Princess Haneul?"
"Seokmin.."
"Okay, sorry."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
As Seokmin (or Seokmin oppa, as he demanded me to call him) and I made our way down the stairs, the scent of amazing, homemade food filled my nose. I inhaled deeply and smiled immediately. "Oh my goodness, that smells amazing."
"Sure does," Seokmin gave me a thumbs up. "Your mother's cooking is on par with my mom's." he laughed. "Which means a lot."
I looked over at the bustling kitchen. "It's been a while since I've had my mom's cooking so I guess I can't really agree or deny." 
"Exactly how long have you guys been apart?" he looked down at me. 
"Ten years or so." 
"Wow." he blinked. I nodded. "It's been quite a while."
"I bet." he mumbled softly. I shrugged. "Well, at least I had parents for most of my childhood, right?"
"Fair enough." he agreed. As we walked towards the dining room, I heard a voice, this time loud, clear and warm.
"Haneul?" 
Turning, I was faced with a familiar scent of a mix between laundry detergent and aftershave. My response left my mouth before I even looked at the person's face. "Appa!"

"Hello Professor Park." Seokmin smiled with a bow before excusing himself.
Completely different from his formal and serious letters, my father's broad smile and equally broad eyesmiles greeted me. He laughed deeply, wrapping me in his arms tightly. "I can't believe this is what 10 years did to you." he joked light-heartedly. 
"What is that even supposed to mean?" I asked. 
"You got much much fatter."
"DAD." I groaned and shot a glare at him. He laughed. "It was a joke, dear daughter. Please take it as so."
He wrapped his arm around my shoulder and led me to my seat. "It's a little odd, right?" he gestured to the multiple guys surrounding us. I nodded. 
"I'm sorry we never brought it up in our letters. We kind of wanted to surprise you so you'd have a clear opinion about it." He leaned down. "You see, we set this up as a way to find a good husband for you."
I felt myself turn red as I whipped my head towards my dad. "Seriously appa?"
He chuckled and  patted my shoulder. "No, of course not. Although I wouldn't mind any of these fine fellows. They're all well-mannered and kind-hearted. So if you have your eye on any of them..."
"Appa, I just got here."
My father winked playfully. "Just putting it out there."
I shook my head disapprovingly, a smile tugging at my lips. I knew that his words were completely understandable. It hadn't occured to me that I would be living with these guys for who knows how long, and that all things were possible. I pulled my mind out of my thoughts. That was a problem I pray I didn't have to deal with.
"Haneul, I'm going to go wash up. Stay here until then, okay?"
I nodded before sitting down in the seat directly next to my father's and looking around uncomfortably as hands surrounding me placed plates down at the table. "Umm..maybe I should help.." I began to stand and take a plate from the nearest hands. The owner of the hands widened his small eyes and shook his head. 
"No, no. It's alright! Stay comfortable. You're probably really drained from your trip." he pulled the plate away from my grasp and put it down at the table. "Please, sit." he motioned to my seat. "We're done prepping anyways."
I tilted my head. "O-okay then." I slipped back into my seat and looked across the table where Seungcheol oppa and Junghan oppa sat comfortably. "So Princess." Seungcheol began.
"Haneul. Just call me Haneul, please." I interrupted. He glanced at Junghan oppa who shrugged in response before looking back down at his phone. 
"Okay, Haneul. What are you interested in? Any sports? Instruments, maybe?" Seungcheol oppa continued. I looked up. "Well, I guess I enjoy shooting hoops...and playing piano. I started to learn a little guitar too." I responded. He nodded. "I see." he looked around before grabbing a younger looking boy with pink hair and pulling him towards us. "This is Jihoon. He's really good at guitar. Maybe he could help you?"
"What? With whose permission?" Pink hair made a face and pulled away from Seungcheol before walked away. Junghan oppa waved his hand. "Don't mind Jihoon, he's not very good with girls."
"I heard that!" a call from the kitchen responded.
The two laughed. Junghan oppa put down his phone and folded his hands. "If there's anyone you want to learn guitar from, it's our lovely Hong guitarist." he raised his eyebrows suggestively. "Jisoo-yah!" he gestured for someone to come over. A doe-eyed guy made his way towards us and sat next to Junghan oppa. 
"This is Jisoo Hong. He's actually our boarding house's representative guitarist." Junghan oppa put his arm around Jisoo who smiled and waved at me. "Hey, it's nice to meet you."
I squinted, trying to remember the guide on my room's wall. "Jisoo? I don't remember seeing the name Jisoo.." I mumbled under my breath.
"Ah, yeah. My english name is Joshua. Legal name, technically." he smiled and extended his hand to me. "Fellow American." he laughed lightly. I felt a slight weight lift off my chest as familiarity comforted me. I shook his hand before smiling back. "Nice to meet you too. My english name's Skyler."
Joshua oppa face brightened. "Ah, really? That's such a pretty name!" he complimented. "Of course, your mother has very good taste so I assume.."
"Ex-kyu-je me." Seungcheol oppa interrupted with his broken English. I laughed slightly at his attempt. Junghan oppa nodded. "Seriously though, Korean please." he picked up his phone. "I hardly passed English in school."
Joshua shook his head. "Don't listen to Junghan."
"Will do."
Junghan oppa jokingly narrowed his eyes at me. "I'm watching you, princess."
"Haneul, oppa. Ha.neul." I reminded. He stuck his tongue out at me.
"Princess."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 
author's note:
sorry for my scatter-mindedness. I've been sick these days so words don't flow through my brain as easily.
But thank you for the love and support so far, guys! I appreciate each and every one of you. I hope that I don't let you down~
Please subscribe, comment and love Seventeen <3
have a blessed day.