Chapter One: Arrival

The Boys Next Door

 

"Thank you for riding Korean Airlines. We will be arriving at our destination in approximately 2 hours. Please relax and enjoy the rest of the ride."
I heard the overhead stewardess announce. Sighing, I rubbed my eyes and looked back down at the letter. This moment that I've been anticipating has finally fallen upon me. After all these years.
There was one piece of the puzzle that didn't seem to fit. The letter read that during the next couple weeks, I would spend time "getting to know my new family."
Does that mean my parents made another child after me? But that made no sense...if that was the case, they would've told me...right?
I shook my head before putting my things back into their respective place and closing my eyes. I could only hope for the best.
Within what seemed to be moments, I opened my eyes and found the plane slowly descending.
"Miss, please open your window." An attendant motioned towards the small opening. I complied and slowly opened it. As if I hadn't seen sunlight in forever, the light blinded me, filling my sight with random white spots After my vision focused, I was greeted with the tall and mighty mountains that decorated the land. A sudden pang of fear pierced my heart. It had been 10 years since they last saw me in person. How would it be to finally embrace them after all that time?
I told myself I wasn't bitter. Regardless of the fact that they missed out on my first concert, my first school dance, my first date, or my first heartbreak, I knew that they weren't at fault. No one really was, and I had no one to blame.
I felt a slight bump as the plane came to a stop. I exhaled slowly and pulled my bag up, clutching to my things tightly out of nervousness. 
How will they be now? Will they be the same as I remember, or will they have changed more towards Korean culture? My mind no longer had time to think as I stepped off the plane and exited the gate. Taking one last glance at the photo in my hand, as if I would forget what my parents looked like, I braced myself.
The first thing I saw when I scanned the airport, were names. Names everywhere.
I furrowed my eyebrow as I saw my own, Park Haneul, staring right at me.
However, the person holding it was not my mother, or my father. Instead, a manly looking guy with blond hair and large eyes had my name in his hands. I slowly began to walk towards him when something else caught my eyes. A bright yellow card with, again, my name on it, flashed before me. This time it was a rather feminine looking guy with shoulder-length hair. I stopped and looked back and forth from them.
"What.." I mumbled before sighing. "Well, there are multiple Park Haneuls in this world, I suppose."
I began walking to the friendlier looking one, and bowed as I approached him. "Hello, my name is Park Haneul."
He looked up at me with a smile. "Ah! Professor Park and Haeyoung eemo's (aunt) daughter?"
I nodded. "That's me." 
He extended his arm towards me. "Hello! It's nice to meet you. My name is Yoon Junghan."
Before I could return the handshake, the other guy who had been holding my name, popped next to Junghan with a grin. "You found her?"
Junghan nodded and gestured towards the blond guy. "This is Seungcheol. He's also here to pick you up."
I raised my eyebrows. "Wait, both of you?"
They nodded in unison. I took a step back and crossed my arms. "Not, to be rude, but exactly what relationship do you guys have to my parents?" I tilted my head. "You...you guys aren't my siblings, are you?"
The two guys looked at each other before laughing. "I guess that's what you could call us." Seungcheol nodded before grabbing my hand and shaking it. "You can call us oppa from now on." Junghan gave me a thumbs up before grabbing my bags. "We're both Seniors at the University, so I assume that we're older, right?" 
I nodded before following their quick steps. "So, why are you guys the ones picking me up?"
"Because your mother wanted to prepare something very special for you." Junghan smiled as we approached a old Jeep. I widened my eyes. "Wait, you guys are driving?!" I exclaimed. Seungcheol grinnned. "Why of course," he twirled his keys around his fingers. "You don't have to worry about a thing."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 
​- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ​- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ​- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ​- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I have no idea why my parents believed this would be a good idea. During the whole ride, I held onto my dear life, and prayed that I would actually be able to see my parents before I died. As we finally screeched to a stop in front of an extremely large house. I widened my eyes. "This is where I live?"
Junghan clucked his tongue. "Where we live."
"Wait, WHAT."
 Seungcheol called out, interrupting my train of thought. "The princess has arrive!"
Immediately, the door of the house flung open and out came a number of guys I couldn't even count. I watched as each of them passed by me with a bow, and grabbed one of the many bags in the car.
what the heck?
Before I could question either, or any guy for that matter, I heard my mother's soft voice call out. 
"Haneul-ah!"
Turning, I saw my mom's beautiful face. Although age had caught up with her, her eyes were still clear as ever, her smile warm and welcoming. She rushed out of the house, not even bothering to put on her shoes and pulled me into what seemed to be the most comforting embrace I've felt in a while.
"Oh my dear child," she looked at me, gently my face with her hand. "You've grown up to be so beautiful." 
I saw tears rim her eyes. Smiling, I wiped them as they fell. "I only take after the most beautiful."
She laughed before hugging me again. Our embrace was broken when I heard someone clear their throat and looked up to see another guy, this one being as tall as a tree, smiling at me. It reminded of the confusion that still surrounded me.
"Umma, we've finished cutting the vegetables for you."
Umma?
I pulled back and looked at my mother. She smiled and patted his back. "Good job, Mingyu. I'll be there in a bit. Okay?"
He smiled back and nodded before rushing in. Wanting an explanation I stared at my mom. "Umma,  could please explain why are there so many guys at our house. And why do they refer to this place as their house? And why do they call you their mom?"
My mother laughed softly. "Ah, you see, these lovely guys are who we referred to as your new family." she rubbed her hands. "Your father and I run a boarding house."
I widened my eyes. "A boarding house." I stared at her blankly. She smiled in response.

"With only boys?"

She bit her lip before patting my hands. "But don't worry! You'll have your own room completely seperate from them, and the only time you'll have to be with them is during meals. Is that okay?"
OF COURSE IT WASN'T OKAY.
My mind told me to take as many steps away from the house, this dangerous place with more testosterone than I will ever need to face in a lifetime.
But, I saw my mother in front of me, her eyes fill with concern and the other half of my brain reminded me that nothing would change regardless, so I smiled and nodded. "Of course, umma. It'll just take a really long time to get used to."
She nodded. "I figure, but they're all great guys and I know you'll like them all." 
"But why boys?" I asked. My mom smiled. "Well, I only want to have one daughter. I can handle having multiple extra sons, but your father and I both agreed that there is only one lovely lady we want to invest our time into and that'd be you."
I felt a flush of warmness fill me. "Aw, that's so sweet." 
My mom laughed softly before leading me into the house. "It's the truth. Speaking of your father, he will be home around dinner time, so you'll see him then." she held my hand as I took off my shoes. "But until then, Seungkwan!" my mother gestured towards a jovial looking guy who immediately got up and saluted her. "Neh, umma!"
My  mother pat his shoulder. "Will you lead her to her room please?"
He nodded. "Of course!" he turned to me and bowed with a wide smile. "Hello! I'm Boo Seungkwan. Otherwise known as DJ Boo, MC Boo, Diva Boo, and Boo-non. But you can just call me Seungkwan until you figure out everyone's name." he introduced himself cheekily. My mom leaned towards me. "You guys are the same age, so I assume you'll get along."
He nodded vigorously. "We definitely will! Right, princess?"
What was with this princess thing?
I shrugged. "Sure?"
He laughed light-heartedly before linking arms with me. "Great, let's go!" he looked back "Don't worry, umma, I'll take good care of her!"
For some reason, I found that very hard to believe
​- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ​- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ​- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ​- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ​- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ​- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
After climbing the long staircase and turning, what felt like, many corners, we finally reached a room labeled, "The Princess' Room."
I gawked at the sign and looked at Seungkwan. "Seriously? Who wrote that?"
"Me, of course. Well, all of us decided that we'd call you Princess, since you are the daughter of the Queen of the house." 
I stifled a laugh. "That's very kind, but you can just call me Haneul."
Seungkwan widened his eyes. "Are you sure? Once you let go of that princess title, there's no going back."
I smiled and nodded. "I'm sure."
He shrugged. "Suit yourself." he pointed towards the door. "Go ahead and check out your room. We tried to make it as pretty as possible." 
I blinked and stared at him. Seungkwan smiled before waving. "I'm going to go help your mom, so make yourself comfortable and unpack until we get you for dinner. Sound good?" 
"S-sure, I guess."
He grinned. "Alright, have fun princes-I mean, Haneul."

I watched him disappear down the hall before releasing another sigh. I stared at the door with uncertainty, half-expecting the room to be as frilly and pink as my room was when I was five. Bracing myself, I opened the door slowly.
Instead of a pink interior, the walls were white, mostly blank except the wall parallel to my bed, where many photos and papers were pinned up. A desk was spread below the pictures, mini cactuses and other plants lining it. A window seat and bookcase resided beside my bed, where I had a beautiful view of the back lawn. The rest of the interior was either black or white, looking quite modern and fitting to my taste. "How nice." I commented out loud as I eyed the room. I walked myself towards to the wall, to observe the photos. On the far left of the wall, there were the typical family photos that we took long ago, but as I moved along the wall, there began to be profile pictures of guys with paper descriptions next to them. Almost like an art gallery.
As I read them, I began to understand what they were.
"So these are my new family members."
​- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ​- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ​- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ​- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ​- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ​- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
author's note:
that's a wrap for chapter one! 
Please comment and subscribe~ let me know what you think, and thank you all for the love <3