Chapter 3

Rain Sound

“Can I see that photo again, hyung?” Seungkwan asked as he was out with his friends after school. They had gone to a local pizza joint to eat, their older friends had joined them by now, too.

“You’re not gonna start crying again, are you?” Won Woo teased as he grabbed his bag to pull out the framed photo again.

“What photo? Seungkwan cried?” Their friend Jeonghan asked with a worried expression. He was sitting right next to said person, Won Woo on the other side of Seungkwan.

“You know him… he’s a softie.” Hansol assured his friend. “He cries when his mom goes to the store.”

“Yah!” Seungkwan frowned, not appreciating the teasing that was going on. He accepted the framed photo from Won Woo once again and looked at it. Immediately, he fought off the tears that wanted to fall again, it was just hard to look at Ji Min in the photo, her bright and cheery smile… he really missed it.

“I didn’t know there was a photo of you two like this?” Jeonghan commented as he leaned over against Seungkwan to get a better look. “Aw, you two were so cute back then!” He cooed, obviously figuring out this photo was a year old by now.

“I want to see!” His boyfriend Jisoo reached over with grabby hands. Seungkwan finally handed the photo over, clearing his throat to keep his tears from forming any further. Won Woo put an arm around his younger friend, pulling him close to his side to comfort him. They had somewhat of a close bond when it came to him and Ji Min.

“You okay?” Won Woo asked quietly as the rest of their friends began to chat with each other about fond memories after seeing the photo.

“I’ll be okay.” Seungkwan nodded, a small sniffle following after it. Those small sniffles increased until the poor kid started crying all over again.

“Aw…” Jeonghan turned his attention to them. Won Woo wrapped his arms around Seungkwan and hugged him tight as Jeonghan reached over to help comfort his friend by holding his hand. “It’s okay,” he said softly, “go ahead and cry.”

Their other friends tried their best not to stare at the crying Seungkwan knowing that’d make him feel worse. They tried to keep their conversations going, but they were worried about their friend of course as he continued to cry.

“I feel so bad for him…” Hansol frowned, looking over to Won Woo holding Seungkwan in his arms. “It goes without saying that Ji Min meant the world to Won Woo, but… she also meant a lot to Seungkwan, too.”

“Yeah…” Chan nodded to his words. “Those two were there for him when his parents split, of course there’s a deep connection between those three. With her gone now, it must be really difficult for him.”

“Aish… this .” Their eldest friend sighed, blinking back a few tears. “I wish there was something we could do…”

“There really isn’t much we can do…” Jihoon sadly pointed out.

Everyone sat in silence, only the sound of Seungkwan’s light sobbing could be heard.

 

 

“You told me you wouldn’t cry.” Won Woo smiled sadly as he was walking Seungkwan home. They parted from their other friends a few minutes ago after saying their goodbyes.

“I’m sorry!” Seungkwan apologized, feeling terrible.

“It’s okay.” The older assured him. “You shouldn’t bottle up those feelings… it’s good to let them out.” He added, patting him on the head.

“Thanks, hyung.” Seungkwan smiled as they came up to a crosswalk.

“Where am I walking you to? Your mom’s? Your dad’s?” Won Woo asked after pressing the button for them to cross.

“I don’t want to go home.” Seungkwan sighed, a dejected look on his face. Won Woo understood that feeling all too well.

“Then…” Won Woo said as the cross signal came on, “let’s go have ice cream by Han River?”

“Yes! Please!” Seungkwan’s face brightened up.

 

 

About twenty minutes later, both Won Woo and Seungkwan were at Han River with their ice creams sitting next to each other as they looked out to the river. When Won Woo heard another sniffle come from Seungkwan for the nth time today, he laughed.

“Sorry!” Seungkwan quickly apologized, again!

“I know you miss her… I do too, a lot.” Won Woo sighed, looking back out to the river. “I remember the times we’d come here with you to cheer you up when your parents were going through their divorce.”

“I remember it, too.” Seungkwan nodded, blinking his tears away as a smile came to his lips.


11 months ago, first week of November…

 

“Which will you have? Take your pick?” Ji Min smiled brightly to the crying boy before her. She had a bag of snacks out before Seungkwan who continued to cry. “Ah, you want a Choco Pie, too?” She asked, pulling it out for him. “Good choice!” She added, sounding happy.

“Seungkwan…” Won Woo said, rubbing his younger friend’s back.

“I’m sorry!” The boy apologized, wiping at his tears quickly. “Thanks.” He accepted the Choco Pie from Ji Min.

“It’s okay, Seungkwannie-”

“Kwannie.” Won Woo chuckled.

“Why?” She giggled at his correction.

Seungkwannie sounds weird.” He replied.

“To you!” She laughed. “Seungkwannie!” She cheered. “Seungkwannie! Seungkwannie! Seung-... ah okay now I see what you’re talking about.” It was longer to say than Kwannie.

“Dork.” Won Woo smiled, lighting nudging her with his hand from behind Seungkwan. The boy smiled, listening to the two speak to each other.

“Your dork!” She beamed. Suddenly Won Woo frowned and looked back to Seungkwan, worried. Perhaps they shouldn’t be affectionate with each other in front of their friend who’s parents were currently splitting up. “Sorry, Kwannie.” Ji Min apologized.

“No!” He shook his head, a small smile on his face. “It’s okay!”

“Are you sure?” Won Woo asked. “That’s pretty insensitive of us with what you and your parents are going through…”

“Don’t worry about it, hyung!” Seungkwan looked up at him. “I really like it when I see you’re happy!”

“Aw, I feel the same too, Kwannie!” Ji Min cooed behind him. “The world seems like a brighter place when our Won Woo smiles, right?”

“Right!” Seungkwan agreed, nodding his head before laughing at Won Woo’s embarrassed expression. “The world seems funnier when you blush like that, too!”

“Yah!” Won Woo frowned, but a small chuckle escaped his lips regardless. Maybe it was a funnier place when Won Woo blushed since it was so different to see him like that. “Are you feeling better now?” He asked after a moment.

“I am… thanks you two.” Seungkwan smiled, looking down to the Choco Pie in his hands.

“No problem, sweetie pie.” Ji Min giggled. “Get it? You’re about to eat a Choco Pie which is sweet?”

The two laughed at her lame joke.

“Aw, hyung, your girlfriend is embarrassing at times!”

“I know.” Won Woo sighed, a smile plastered across his face.

“Hey!” She pouted at the both of them. “That’s not true!” She said before she smiled weakly. “Okay, maybe it’s a little true.”

“But I like it.” Won Woo smiled, reaching over to grab her hand.

“You’re sweet, too!” She smiled back. “What did you get again?” She looked back to the bag. When she noticed Seungkwan had the only Choco Pie, she slightly gasped. I thought I bought two?!

“Something wrong?” Won Woo asked as Seungkwan was taking a bite of the Choco Pie, unaware that it was hers.

“N-No…” She said, staring at the treat in her friend’s hand.

“Hmm?” Seungkwan hummed innocently her way before noticing she was staring at the Choco Pie. “Oh my gosh, sorry! Was this yours?!” He worried.

“No, no, no! It’s okay, keep eating!” She assured him.

“But it’s yours.” Won Woo pointed out.

“He can have it!” She smiled, reaching out to Seungkwan’s hair in a caring manner. “Go ahead and eat, my dear child.” She added.

“Child?!” Seungkwan laughed.

“Yes! Won Woo and I will adopt you!” She joked.

“I’d like that!” Seungkwan played along before they looked to Won Woo to get his reaction.

“Really? You’re making me a dad before I graduate high school?” He chuckled.

“Then I’ll raise him by myself!” She pouted.

“I can’t let you do that.” He said, taking her hand once more. “We’ll do it together, then. Okay?” He looked to Seungkwan with a smile.

“Yes!” He smiled back before Ji Min grabbed him and Won Woo into a mini group hug.

“Aw, why do you guys even put up with me and my silly antics?!” She said, tone completely happy.

“Because we love you!” Seungkwan smiled.

“Yeah… because we love you.” Won Woo smiled in agreement. Ji Min smiled back at him before he leaned over a bit more to give her a small kiss to her lips.

“Ew! Okay, no! Don’t kiss in front of me!” Seungkwan interrupted them, breaking free from the hug. The two were laughing as he jumped up from his seat, rubbing his eyes as if that would erase the image he just saw from his mind.


Present day, second week of September…


 

“I still can’t believe you kissed her right in front of my face!” Seungkwan complained, as if that traumatized the poor guy.

“Sorry.” Won Woo laughed, remembering the memory so clearly. The younger seriously didn’t like that at all.

“If she was still here with us right now, would you do it again?” He asked curiously.

“Not in front of you.” Won Woo replied.

“Thank you!” Seungkwan said relieved. He was honestly happy for his hyung back then, but that didn’t mean he had to be happy to see it in action, did he?

 


 

After spending some more time with Seungkwan, Won Woo finally walked his friend home to his mother’s place where he was invited to stay for dinner. He of course accepted the offer, he’d rather eat there than his aunt’s since chances were, there was no food for him there anyway. Once dinner was over, he took his leave after giving Seungkwan one last hug and headed home.

When he got home, his aunt was already at the door waiting to yell at him for not being home by dinner. For once, the woman prepared something for her and him. Won Woo had to laugh, since when did she ever make him food? He blocked out her complaints and headed up to his room, shutting the door and locking it as his aunt followed him and was banging on the door, demanding that he open it. He put on his headphones to drown out her annoying voice with some music at least. It wasn’t long before she gave up and returned back downstairs, leaving him alone for the rest of the night.

 

...

 

A month had passed by now, it being the third week of October. Not much was happening this month besides his friend Jeonghan’s birthday at the beginning on the fourth. He at least had a good time at the small party. There were a few times Ji Min came to mind while at the party, remembering how things went last year. Honestly, any and everything reminded him of the girl. It was quite depressing, really. There was a memory for everything, but he had to be glad that most of them were good memories and not bad ones.

One of the good memories he could remember a year ago from this week would have to be the day Ji Min did the most kindest thing for him.


A year ago, third week of October...


 

Won Woo and Ji Min happened to be together after school, getting snacks to eat at Han River since it had become a thing for the two. They’d study for a bit at the library, making sure to keep their grades up and then treat themselves after with snacks while looking out at the river. They actually went to Han River a lot. Whether it be for eating snacks or just talking. Something about the river was calming for the two, especially for Won Woo.

A lot has happened at Han River since the two met a little over a month ago. They’ve gotten closer from their talks at Han River and learned a lot about each other, too. Ji Min did most of the talking at first, but slowly, Won Woo began to talk about himself more to her and opened up. That’s when she learned about his heart breaking story of his parents death and the terrible aunt he’s living with. He even mentioned about his dying grandmother, and that made her cry.

“Please don’t cry. Won Woo frowned as he saw her hang her head.

“I’m sorry. She apologized. “I had no idea that’s what you’ve been going through all this time...

“It’s okay. He assured her.

“Is it really? She asked, wiping her tears. “I don’t see how any of that is okay?

“You’re right... but there’s really nothing I can do. He sighed, looking back out to the river.

“Maybe there’s something I can do, then? She said, also looking out to the river.

“Like what?

“Let’s go see your grandmother. She turned to him with a smile. “I’ll ask my brothers and see if they can take us.

“You don’t have to do that... Won Woo bit down on his bottom lip, trying to keep the tears that threatened to fall at bay. The thought of seeing his grandmother was overwhelming.

“I want to! She protested. “Seriously... if they can take us, let’s go! Besides your aunt and uncle, she’s really the only last one in your small family, right? You deserve to see her before her time comes.

Won Woo looked down, his effort to keep from crying starting to fail miserably as the tears found their way down his face. “Thank you. He managed to say.

“No problem! She grinned, reaching out to rest a hand on his shoulder. Seeing him cry made her heart ache a little... but she knew it had to be happy tears. That’s when he suddenly pulled her over into a hug, saying thank you over and over again. She returned his hug, letting him know it was okay. “You’re welcome.

 

...

 

It was Friday by now, the day before Ji Min and her brothers would be taking Won Woo to see his grandmother in Changwon, his hometown. He was feeling a lot of different emotions throughout the week, excited, happy, worried, scared, anxious, and most of all... grateful towards Ji Min who was making it happen.

“So, you’re going to see your grandmother tomorrow? Mingyu asked, a smile on his face, he had been talking about it with Ji Min earlier during free period.

“Yeah, that’s the plan. Won Woo nodded in reply. “I’m excited... but scared at the same time.

“It’s okay. Seungcheol put an arm around him. “Just relax. Everything will be fine.

“Be sure to bring us back presents!“ Chan smiled from the end of the table.

“With what money?! Seokmin laughed. The younger pouted making everyone else at the table laugh, he was so cute at times!

 

...

 

The next day, Won Woo was packed and ready to go for this weekend trip to his hometown with Ji Min and her two older brothers. He was glad there wasn’t much drama when he told his aunt he was going on this trip, he supposed she’d feel guilty for trying to stop him from seeing his dying grandmother. Her husband had said so himself, find another way to go see her. This was his way, so they can’t stop him.

It was still early in the morning, 7am, when Jaehwan picked him up alone. He was curious on why Ji Min and Hongbin weren’t with him, but that question was soon answered as her brother mentioned the two were still packing a few last minute things back at his place. They’d go back and pick them up before heading to Changwon by car. It’d be about a four hour drive from Seoul to Changwon.

Arriving to Jaehwan’s house, he turned off the car before texting Hongbin that they were there now, Won Woo and his suitcase were already in the trunk.

 

Hongbin: We’ll be out in a minute!

 

Jaehwan and Won Woo waited in the car in the mean time. It was quiet for a minute or so before Jaehwan asked Won Woo how he was feeling about the trip. The younger gave his honest answer.

“Well, I hope you’ll have fun on this trip. I know you’ve had a difficult time these past few years... if there’s anything me and my siblings can do to make it easier for you, then we’re willing to do it.

“Thanks. Won Woo smiled at Jaehwan’s sincere reply.

A few more minutes passed and Jaehwan sighed. “What is taking those two so long? He muttered before honking the horn. There was a small shriek, most likely coming from Ji Min at the front door. “Oh! Shoot... Whoops! He chuckled as a pouting Ji Min came into view.

“Why’d you honk the horn?! She complained, passing by Jaehwan’s open car window.

“You two were taking too long! He laughed as he got out to help put her suitcase into the trunk. Hongbin came out a moment later with his stuff. Once everything was in the back, which they were lucky all four of their suitcases fit, it was time to go.

Ji Min got into the back seat and greeted Won Woo after buckling her seatbelt.

“Everyone ready to go? Jaehwan asked.

“Yes. Ji Min and Won Woo said from the back.

“Wait! Hongbin suddenly exclaimed. “I forgot my camera!

“I thought you already packed three of them!

“I need this certain one for work!

“Hongbin! Jaehwan sighed, shaking his head. Ji Min giggled as Won Woo smiled.

 

...

 

“How’re you two doing back there? Hongbin asked, looking over his shoulder to see the two  younger ones sleeping. “Ah... they’re asleep. He said quietly, facing forward in his seat again.

“Asleep? Jaehwan frowned. “That’s no fun.

“They’re growing kids, sleep is important for them. Hongbin chuckled.

“Well, take a picture! His brother grinned. “I’m counting on you to capture as many memories as you can for them.

“Got it! Hongbin nodded in agreement.

 

...

 

When they made it to their first rest stop, Jaehwan gently woke the two up, letting them know they were half way there. If they needed the bathroom or anything to eat or drink, now’s the time to do it before they get back on the road.

Ji Min and Won Woo roamed the gas station store for a few minutes, trying to be more alert so they could pick something out without regretting it later, they were still tired from getting up early. Both had been too excited and anxious the night before to get proper sleep.

“I know I definitely want Choco Pies! Ji Min smiled, grabbing four of them off the shelf.

“Is that all you’re going to eat? Won Woo asked with a small laugh. She seemed really fond of that treat.

“I have two caring older brothers, I’m sure they’re picking something more nutritious out for the both of us regardless of what we pick, so let’s just get what we want.

Won Woo nodded before picking out his choice. A part of him felt like he shouldn’t pick anything at all since her brothers were paying for all of it. He was assured he didn’t have to pay anything back, but he just couldn’t help but feel like he was troubling them.

After a quick bathroom break, they were back on the road again.

“Now that you two are awake, let’s have some fun. Jaehwan smiled back at them through the rearview mirror.

“How about you focus on your driving instead! Hongbin scolded.

“Relax! I’m focused! Jaehwan laughed. “How about we listen to some music? Everyone agreed to that idea.

Orange Caramel’s  ’My Copycat’ came on as it was her brother’s playlist on his phone. Ji Min grinned and faced Won Woo with a small giggle. “See, I told you everyone loves this song!

 

...

 

Finally, a little over two hours later, they made it to Changwon. The first place they headed to was the hotel and checked into the reserved room Hongbin got them last night. Won Woo was surprised to find out they rented a suite with two bedrooms. He wondered just what kind of money her brothers were making to be paying for all of this!

“Naturally, us guys will stick together. Ji Min will have her own room. Jaehwan explained as they walked into the suite.

“Really? I have to be alone?! She frowned, not liking that idea.

“Fine, I’ll stay with you. Hongbin laughed.

“That okay with you? Jaehwan asked Won Woo. He nodded, not sure why he even needed to ask until he entered the room that only had one bed. Jaehwan laughed at his hesitant expression. “If you want, I can sleep on the couch out front?

“No! That’s okay, I’ll take the couch. You keep the bed. Won Woo quickly replied.

“Are you sure? I don’t think sleeping on the couch would be good for you?

“You’re the one driving us around, it’s not good for you either. He pointed out, Jaehwan had to agree.

The four headed out for lunch soon after.


Present day, third week of October…

 

Won Woo looked through his small book shelf located near his desk for a specific binder. Once he had found it, he went over to his bed and sat down. He sighed, looking down at the thick binder before opening it up and was greeted with pictures of him and all his friends inside, though there were mostly photos of him and Ji Min.

He flipped through the pages until he came across the photos from the time they went to Changwon. A sad smile graced his lips as the photo had himself with his late grandmother and Ji Min, smiling happily at the camera.

“I’ll never be able to thank you enough for what you did… He said softly, running his fingers over the photo. He’d be forever grateful to Ji Min.

Suddenly a small chuckle escaped his lips. “Should I show Seungkwan this?” He asked himself. “Aish, the kid would probably cry two rivers…” He sighed once more, admiring the photo before looking through the rest of the memories.


Chapter three!

 

2UA-y9QuV2zUvM4HarMx3Fhxr_kk8Y7JTSLJFzCj

Although Mingyu isn’t Ji Min… you can at least picture it! HAHA

 

Seungkwannie >< EUGH… my precious child… uljimaaaaaaa(don’t cry) XD

 

So, you can sort of see the important role Ji Min played in Seungkwan’s life… kind of.

All she did was make a fool of herself to cheer him up, but you get she was trying to comfort him, right?

Along with Won Woo… and so that really helped Seungkwan during that difficult time.

He had them for support the most.

So, yeah…

LOL

I am trying not to like… move things too fast, but not too slow!

(talking about that kiss Won Woo and Ji Min shared >///<)

These memories aren’t going to exactly be in order, so keep a look out for that!

I hope it doesn’t confuse you guys too much.

But it kinda went without saying that Won Woo and Ji Min were a thing before she left, so that shouldn’t be much of a surprise, right?

I promise you’ll get to see how everything fell into place, you just have to be patient with the memories! ^^

 

rdhDtNjfp3qgC_8Mg28sLmSnoSMZb65eoWK6Yed_

 

Author-nim: Yes, Jeonghan… I see you. D: I’m definitely going to try to get your fic updated next!!! ><

 

Hope everyone enjoyed, thanks for reading! ^^