Chapter 1

Rain Sound

 

Rain drops began to fall from the dark and stormy sky above as Jeon Won Woo was on his way home from his best friend’s house. As much as he’d rather have stayed at Kim Mingyu’s house, maybe even stay forever, he had to go home sooner or later.

The thought of going home always put him in a bad mood, he hated it there. Everytime he entered that house he was always yelled at for something by his utterly unkind aunt. He wonders to himself sometimes what he did in his past life to deserve this kind of treatment? But one thing was for sure, he was definitely going to move out once he graduated.

He had already been talking about it with his senior friends who fortunately graduated this past spring, it being fall right now. His older friends Yoon Jeonghan and Hong Jisoo have been planning to move in together after graduating high school, thinking it would be the next step in their relationship. Yes, they were dating.

At first he was hesitant to ask for their help, but they caught onto him, that and... Mingyu opened his big mouth! So they invited him to stay with them after he graduates until he can figure something out on his own. He was really glad to have such supportive friends like them. You could pretty much say his friends are more family to him than his own.

He knew he should be grateful that his aunt and uncle took him in when his mother died two years ago since his father died in a car accident years before when he was 9. He really had nowhere else to go, so his father’s sister and her husband took him in. He originally wanted to stay with his grandmother on his mother’s side, but she wasn’t in Seoul and was too old to be taking care of him, and unfortunately she was pretty ill too.

For awhile, he didn’t know why his aunt and uncle were so unhappy about taking care of him. They always had something to complain about when he was around and he never understood what their problem was with him. Eventually during one of the countless fights they go through, the truth was revealed.

Apparently his aunt really wasn’t that fond of kids to begin with, she only took him in because he was her brother’s child. She would have felt guilty if she let him end up in a foster home and adopted into a new family away from what little family that remained for Won Woo. Shortly after taking him, she hated having to be responsible for him.

Her husband worked a lot at the time, so she never really had to worry about anyone else but herself. Then Won Woo’s mother died and she took him in. There were countless times she forgot to buy extra food for him and grew annoyed at how much she had to consider buying extra when shopping because she had another mouth to feed.

At one point, his grades fell due to his brief period of depression of losing both parents and his precious grandmother that would soon pass away before he could even visit her one last time... because his well paid uncle wouldn’t lend him any money for the trip to see his dying grandmother. That was the time he began to hate them so much.

 

‘I don’t have time for school meetings about your grades, Won Woo!’

 

‘Everyone dies eventually, get over it. She’s not dead yet, there’s still time. Figure out how to get the money on your own.’

 

‘I didn’t sign up for this, why are you so difficult?!’

 

‘Why’d his parents have to go and die, now we’re stuck with him.’

 

He couldn’t believe how cruel some people could really be. He wished he was only having a ridiculously long nightmare all the time. He always wondered when he was going to wake up

Won Woo stopped speaking to his guardians, that’s all they were to him now, guardians. The people who are providing a roof over his head and if he’s lucky, food. He only spoke to them when needed, but other than that… he never spoke to them on his own accord. They apparently didn’t care that he was giving them the silent treatment, at least he wasn’t bothering them anymore.

Now he supposed the only people he should really be grateful to… are his friends who always made sure he was fed before he went home and would always brighten up his day before he’d have to return home to that unexcusable living environment. But there was actually one person he felt really grateful for… but she wasn’t around anymore.

He sighed to himself as he continued to walk on the path home. The rain hadn’t let up yet since he opened up his umbrella a few minutes ago. It’s rainy days like these that really depress him sometimes. He used to love it… but now it just reminds him of so many painful memories.

 

It reminds him of his parents who would always play with him in the rain when he was a little kid.

 

It reminds him of his grandmother who would sit and tell him stories about her long exciting life as they watched the rain fall.

 

It reminds him of the day he met her.

 

It reminds him of good things… but it also reminds him of bad things, too.

 

It reminded him of his father’s death, the night of the accident, it was raining.

 

It reminded him of the night his mother collapsed, it was raining when they put her in the ambulance.

 

It reminded him of the few nights his aunt kicked him out of the house after a fight.

 

It reminded him of the day she left.

 

“Stop raining already.” He muttered out as he came up to the crosswalk.

While waiting for the signal to come on, Won Woo noticed a girl standing at the opposite side, holding her school bag over her head to protect herself from the pouring rain. He frowned, worrying for her until a male student came to her rescue with his umbrella. That sight brought up a specific memory for him...


A year ago, first week of September...

 

Won Woo, a second year student, came up to the crosswalk, opening up his umbrella as it had began to rain. He had just left his friend’s house and was on his way home reluctantly. If he could have it his way, he would have stayed at Mingyu’s house longer. But to save him a major headache, he figured he should get home before dinner so his aunt wouldn’t call him up and scream at him.

As he was waiting for the signal to come on and let him cross he heard someone, a girl to be more exact, stand in the spot next to him without an umbrella. She had her school bag over her head trying desperately to keep the rain from soaking her long and straight elbow length hair and uniform. It was pouring too much though for her to succeed in that.

Won Woo wasn’t really the type that spoke up to people he didn’t know, let alone talk much. Everyone looked at him as the anti-social kid in school, and he honestly preferred it that way. Growing up, there were a few friends who, to put simply, stabbed him in the back and he started to have trust issues with people since then. It was hard for him to make new friends.

Once he entered high school though, he was swarmed with them! He wasn’t sure why they wanted to be his friend, but sooner or later he grew to trust them and eventually opened up to them bit by bit. Strangers on the other hand, he had a hard time dealing with... yet for some reason he spoke up to the girl next to him.

“Hey...” He mumbled out to her. She looked at him quickly and he almost stumbled back, not ready for her to give him her attention just like that. “Uh...” He took a step closer and shielded her from the rain with his umbrella instead of saying any words.

“Thank you!” She smiled up at him while taking her bag off her head. “That’s really kind of you!” She continued to say in that soft cute voice. Won Woo could feel heat rushing to his cheeks at the sound... it was so nice and sweet... the sweetest voice he’s ever heard.

The two stood under his umbrella in silence, still waiting for the signal to come on. A moment later, she sighed. “Do you think it’s broken?” She asked, looking up at him again. He turned to look at her and froze when he saw her face more clearly. The heat was rushing to his face again as he stuttered out ‘I don’t know’ while shrugging. “What should we do?” She wondered, looking around.

“I don’t... know.” He muttered out.

“Then, I guess we wait.” She said, tone happy. “By the way, you go to Pledis High?”

“What?” He asked, deciding to look at her. He realized it was probably rude not to look at the person who is speaking to him. He usually didn’t care, but with her… it was different.

“I asked if you go to Pledis High?” She repeated with a small smile. “I think I recognize your uniform when I went with my brother to register last week.”

“Register?” Won Woo repeated. “Are you a transfer student, then?” He asked, genuinely curious.

“Yes.” She nodded. “Does this mean we’ll be school mates?” She had a hint of excitement in her voice, it made a smile tug at his lips.

“I guess so.” He nodded.

“Going to a new school is always scary.” Her expression faltered a little. “But, if there’s a familiar face, it makes it easier, don’t you think?”

“I agree.” He nodded again.

“What year are you in?” She asked, tilting her head in curiosity.

“I’m a second year. You?”

“Second year, too!” Her expression brightened up. “Wah! What if we end up being classmates?!”

“That would be nice.” A light chuckle escaped his lips. For a second, he wondered if that really was him just now chuckling? She was a stranger, the kind of people he doesn’t deal with that well, but here he was... smiling and chuckling at her cute expressions of excitement.

“It’d be totally cool!” She beamed. “Fingers crossed!” She held up her crossed fingers before pausing. “Ah, I didn’t even realize we haven’t even introduced ourselves yet!” She brought the palm of her hand to her forehead. “Nameless school mates!”

“I’m Jeon Won Woo.” He simply said, the smile from earlier still on his lips.

“Lee Ji Min, nice to meet you!” She waved to him.

“Likewise.” His smile grew a little more. Whenever someone with a bright personality like her spoke to him, he always noticed it brought his mood up.

“Oh, look! The signal finally came on!” She pointed, surprised for a second. “Let’s hurry before it decides to change back!”

The two quickly hurried across the street before reaching the other side.

“Ah~! Which way are you heading?” She asked suddenly, worried they were heading different ways from there. It was still raining a lot.

“I was headed home, but I don’t mind walking you to wherever you’re going?” He surprisingly offered.

“It’s okay, you don’t have to!” She shook her head with a worried smile. “I must’ve taken up too much of your time already!”

“I don’t mind... really.” He assured her. “I’m not ready to go home, just yet.” He added on.

Ji Min could hear the reluctant tone in his voice and decided maybe it was a good idea if he walked her home after all.

“Okay! My brother's house isn’t too far from here, so let’s get going!” She pointed to their right.

Won Woo nodded in agreement as they started down the sidewalk, his home was to the left.


Present day, first week of September...

 

Won Woo finally made it home and headed straight for his room to avoid his moody aunt. He didn’t have time for her drama right now, and he never would. Once inside his room, he put his headphones on and lied down on his bed, staring up at the ceiling while the music played. He was feeling pretty depressed right now after seeing those two students earlier. It reminded him of her... the one who wasn’t here with him anymore.

Lee Ji Min hadn’t died, but she did move away back to her hometown, Busan.

He continued to lie there, reminiscing all the joyful memories he had with her before her parents took her back to Busan against her wishes. Her phone number was changed, her socials were deleted... it was like she never existed now. His only memories of them were pictures and videos he had on his phone. That being said, his phone was pretty valuable to him as he won’t let anyone, not even his friends, touch it.

“JiJi...” He whispered out as his eyes panned over to the rain hitting against his bedroom window. “What are you doing right now?” A sigh escaped his lips. “Do you miss me?”

 

Now playing

“빗소리” - B.A.P

(Rain Sound)

 

Won Woo closed his eyes as he listened to the song, he related to it so much in this moment...

 

I still miss you as I fall asleep

 

But on this rainy night, I cannot fall asleep

 

There were many nights he couldn’t sleep since she left. When she left, it was like she took a piece of him with her… he was incomplete and that missing piece was what keeps him from being sane sometimes.

 

Is this sound of the rain, your voice?

 

Is this a sound that calls to me?

 

Am I the only one thinking of you?

 

Will this rain comfort me?

 

He wondered if he could ever find comfort in the rain… it brought up bad memories… but then there were more good memories compared to the rest.

 

On a rainy day, I fell for you

 

Despite the mood he was in just now… a smile formed on his lips as one of the many good memories surfaced.


A year ago, fourth week of September...

 

“Just our luck, huh?” Ji Min said with a soft smile as she and Won Woo were taking shelter under the convenience store roof from the sudden rain pour. It had been two weeks since Ji Min transferred to Pledis High by now. Since they were classmates, they got to know each other a lot in that short amount of time which is why they were together after school today.

“Why is it raining so randomly these days?” He muttered his small complaint. It was only two weeks since meeting her and already he felt comfortable around her after they talked a couple of times, it was like he knew her longer than just two weeks he learned so much about her.

“Mother Nature just can’t make up her mind lately.” She joked, earning a small laugh from Won Woo. He hadn’t opened up to her a lot yet, but he knew he’d like to since she seemed like a really nice person… she was someone he needed around besides his other friends.

“Snack time will have to wait, won’t it?” She pouted looking down at the small bag in her hands.

“I’m sure the rain will let up soon, be patient… that Choco Pie ain’t going anywhere.” He chuckled, They had just walked out of the convenience store after getting some snacks. They planned to go to her place to study for a bit, the snacks being their brain food.

“But I want it now.” She whined, reaching into the bag.

“No!” He quickly took it away from her. “Control yourself!”

“Gimmie!” She reached for it as he held it up high, out of reach since she was shorter. “Aish!” She stopped. “You’re no fun.”

“Thanks.” He patted her on the head. “That’s what I was going for.”

She laughed at his reply when suddenly there was a small flash of lightning followed by a rather loud clap of thunder. She jumped getting startled while hugging herself.

“Are you alright?” He asked, not even flinching by the loud noise. He was used to these types of storms.

“I’m fine!” She assured him, trying to hide the look of fear on her face. There was another clap of thunder and she whimpered.

It's alright. Won Woo said, pulling the headphones around his neck off. He took a step closer to place them on her ears for her. He then pulled out his iPod and put on some music to distract her from the thunder.

Thank you! She almost shouted since she really couldn't hear herself talk over the music. He had to laugh, it was so cute!

When the next song played, she looked up at him excitedly. He took a look at his iPod to see 'My Copycat' by Orange Caramel was playing. He frowned, feeling embarrassed now. He didn't think about the songs he had on there when he decided to let her wear his headphones.

I love this song! She exclaimed. It's a great song! Everyone loves it! She was shouting again. Na na nacheoreom haebwayo! She sang along. She even started doing the little dance!

You're incredibly cute. He mumbled out his thought by accident, watching her.

Eh? What happened? It suddenly stopped playing?She said in a softer voice. Won Woo suddenly froze. Could she possibly have heard him calling her cute?!

She began to giggle at his expression.

“I think you’re cute, too!” She beamed at him, making him blush. Thunder suddenly sounded off, startling her as she involuntarily clutched onto his arm, shrieking.

“I-It’s okay.” He stuttered out. He was tempted to wrap his arm around her in attempts to calm her down, but he was too embarrassed to do something like that! Two weeks, and I’m already falling for her…


Present day, first week of September...

 

A flash of lightning barely lit up his dark room. The stormy clouds were already masking the setting sun as Won Woo continued to lie in his bed, listening to his music. This was how he spent his evenings sometimes, alone in his room. He’d make sure his homework was done before getting home so he wouldn’t have to worry about it all night. He finished his homework at Mingyu’s place earlier. Now he planned to do nothing for the rest of this evening while listening to music in the dark.

 

 

I still miss you as I fall asleep

 

But on this rainy night, I cannot fall asleep

 

That lyric really described him. He realized if it continued to rain the rest of the night, he wouldn’t be able to sleep… he never really slept well when it rained at night.

 

Is this sound of the rain, your voice?

 

Is this a sound that calls to me?

 

Am I the only one thinking of you?

 

Will this rain comfort me?

 

Do you know how I feel? I keep thinking of you...

 

“I never stop thinking about you…” He said softly in his quiet room. “I don’t think I’ll ever stop thinking about you, JiJi…” A single tear found its way down the side of his face. He had a hard time sleeping that night.


Chapter one…

 

AWWWWWWWH~! WON WOO Q_Q

T1YEfU4Ifx6aBjWQMgiA8nC0jGUES7ny1mFB6pdc

Won Woo: I’m okay, Author-nim! Haha

8wCHbNeUjZpM5Yx2IUFVU3wWo_FLvYc0_OoNPaZI

Author-nim: No you’re not! TT^TT *cries a river*

tumblr_inline_nrr6lq7GB71tsgmno_500.gif

Won Woo to Readers: Don’t worry about her, she’s okay.

v5vJsm7Mcy3aOsOwo5HXD_OFpUiPe2QYLq248GNc

Author-nim: … I guess you’re okay, then.

 

LOL! XD

So, here it is! Ch 1 ^^

1cSjYL2PYKEg3zoaNYzKCBRCWOru3UHOTeYOHr6b

I hope you guys liked it, and I really hope I didn’t disappoint you after making you wait so long for this update! OTL Also, I hope the way I wrote it wasn't too confusing or didn't flow well? I thought to do somethigng like Present and Past... but I realize that might get to confusing if I did that every chapter, so I'll try to figure it out next chapter!

nyF2rSXFh4eXWZVdLP1thzDhcIU-hKIKoxLuU25P

Let me know what you think? ^^

I might as well end this with the usual:

F-zDWWthQMPmzeZG13UemuMTl-N-L5-mnhGkVNhB

Hope everyone enjoyed, thanks for reading!

 

Ps, I use gifs to express myself, I try to keep them SEVENTEEN related, but I don’t have many that show the expressions I have so there might be gifs from other groups >< Just letting you know that ^^