Forewords, Descriptions, and Tags, the right and wrong way

Why People Hate Your Story

The closest I ever got to addressing the foreword and description is here → So you want to write a fanfic? Step 2- writing the foreword

Then I sort of did in parts 7 and 18
Talked about tags here → Why Maria can't read anything on AFF, misused tags
For future references, Maria is one of my close friends that urges me to continue with these rants and contributes in her own ways.


First, the descriptions sole purpose is to provide a summary or introduction of the fic. 200 characters are seen when the standard Helvetica size 14, no bold, underline, or italics, no color change or highlights, no hyperlink or pictures are used. So if all the settings stay the same, then 200 characters are seen. While the description can reach more than 200 characters and these extra parts will be seen if someone goes to the foreword, the first 200 are what draw the readers in.

The sentence below is 200 characters with spaces and punctuation.

You have 200 letters to get readers to read your fic before they even click on the title. When creating a foreword and description, you need to hook the reader with those words, if not with the title.

Second, we need to remember what a foreword is. In a book, the foreword is usually a note from someone other than the author, but it is sometimes by the author. They talk about the author's motivations for the book, or the experiences they had while writing, something to that effect. It is not a section for them to summarize the book or introduce characters.

In a fanfiction, however, I’m sure the point of the foreword is for a brief introduction of the fic. Whether by an author’s note, a short summary if that has not been included in the description, a prologue, or a preface.

Finally, tags need to be used properly. More tags mean more chances of people reading your fic, but some tags are pointless no matter what you say.

 

Starting with the description, you absolutely can not introduce the character by saying “Hi my name is Kim Yunhye. I'm 18 and I'm in my last year of high school. I am an orphan... and this is my story…” What part of this was appealing? That she is 18? Big whoop, next year she will be 19. That she is an orphan? There are orphans all around the world, you don’t see me caring about their stories. This is a very common description.

Another very common description is “Hey guys, I’m back with this brand new fic! Like oh my gosh, it’s going to be so good, I have so many great ideas for it! Please read. © 2011, do not redistribute …” The probability of someone who read your previous fic also seeing this note is very, very low. Save the twelve year old speech for your blogs (but even then, please just shut up) and only write about what is definite. We see it all the time, the author claims they have ideas but the whole fic is filled with bland clichés.

I don’t think a single person on AFF has actually copyrighted their fic. You can’t just put the copyright symbol and have it be true. Yeah, it is plagiarizing for someone to take your fic and claim it as theirs, but they haven’t broken any copyright laws as your fic is not legally copyrighted. When did you pay the fee and get your copyright application approved? Did you send in your copy of your work and get it approved also? Is your intellectual property protected? People know not to take things that aren’t theirs. There are those inconsiderate few out there, but it is unlikely that your fic will be stolen unless it has garnered a lot of attention. 

No, set up the fic. My description for this story addresses the issues that readers who are struggling with their fic might have. There isn’t a personal message from me, what the “fic” is about is included, and I don’t sound like an arrogant idiot that thought she knew enough about fics to tell others how to write. I sound like I know what I am talking about. To be honest, when I was first writing the description, I went through the other review fics to see what they had. Many had a welcome message as if their “Review Shop” was an actual store, others talked about getting an “honest review”. Just going by the titles and descriptions, I wouldn’t have chosen any of them to give me a review or poster.

 

 

My description is boring and doesn’t draw you in that well because my title is supposed to do that instead.

 

The foreword! You don’t have to make a foreword, but you should since the opportunity is there and a lot of people judge if they want to read the fic or not through the foreword. This is one of the best chances to prove to any reader that your grammar is satisfying enough or that your plot can entice them.

Character descriptions, don’t do that. It shows a reader that you can’t develop a character throughout the fic. This includes family status, likes and dislikes, their past, their age, their weight, their height, their blood type, their physical appearance in general.

Character profiles, it clutters up the foreword and many like myself skip them. Also, they spoil the story and show you can’t develop a character throughout the fic. This includes pictures, names, relations to other characters, and purpose in the fic. Even if one of those professional looking websites makes one for you and has all these pretty designs, it makes it messy.

Unintelligent babble turns me off. This is that “Hi guise, I am back!” thing again. If you sound like a twelve year old in your author’s note, I assume you write the same way.

Links to stories and social networking sites. You are not to link to your twitter, your tumblr, your facebook, your anything. Those go on your profile and stay there. I certainly don't want to be your friend and it is a waste of space and an eyesore to see it. You are not to link to other stories unless they are related to that specific fic. Those other fics can once again be linked to in your profile. From one foreword the readers don’t know if they like the author’s style of writing yet so it is pointless. If anything, link at the end of your fic the new fics you are going on an adventure with. (Also, to me it seems a little arrogant to think that someone will read your other fics just because you have them there. That’s not how it works).

The best way to prove to a reader that you write well is to show them. You can write a prologue and set up the fic.

 

He’s a Prince and she is a Princess and their Kingdoms are fighting because of a curse that an evil witch set on them because two men (later to be Kings of their respective Kingdoms) didn’t help her wash her robe.Stop here. The story has been set up, you get an idea of the plot but nothing has been spoiled. I didn’t tell you that they are forced to get married and have a child in order to break the curse of the family feud. There is a prince and princess, and something is going to happen between them.

With an excerpt, you can bring something that happens at the and let readers ponder of what leads up to it. With the same scenario- The dragon singed the prince’s cape, but he persevered. He launched his sword to the heart of the beast in hopes of finally conquering it. But an agonized cry let out, the princess clutched her sides in pain as blood dripped down her back. What happened to the princess? Where did this dragon come from? Did they escape?

You don’t want your excerpt to reveal what happens in the end though. The happily ever after ending shouldn’t be obvious, don’t reveal too much. It doesn’t work if the reader already knows.

I like it the most when an author talks about their motivations behind the fic, some past experiences that relate or the process they went through while writing (even if they are still writing). If the author had these struggles or thought this way, we should consider these aspects too. But it has to sound smart.

I read dbskgurl4evassssss story about that orphan, one of them, not going to tell you which, you need to guess, when I decided to write my own because orphans are the most original idea ever! I have parents, so I don’t really know how to be an orphan, but I’ve watched enough Korean dramas to know that the other guy is always her twin brother. But I swear, I will throw in another twist! Because I’m thirteen years old and don’t realize that I sound immature to everyone even though I think being 13 makes me an adult! \.o./

You know you've been successful with your foreword when someone subscribes before even reading the first chapter. Most of the time it means your foreword was good enough for them to know you write well and your fic will be interesting. 

 

Now to the tags. Please don’t tag your story something unless it completely relates. For instance, if your story is about OnTae, Onew and Taemin couple, you don’t have to tag “shinee” or “key” or “minho” they probably don’t relate that much. If Key is the love rival, you still don’t have to tag them because Key won’t win. If Key and Taemin had been in a serious relationship and it almost seemed like they’d stay together, that calls for a “key” tag. By the way guys, Tae s Key, only my little Maria will get it.

If it is a couple fic for YunJae or 2Min or TaeNy and there is a side couple like YooSu or JongKey or JeTi, don’t tag the side couple unless their relationship is the focus of the story too. This is the same for het pairings, but I hear more complaints from these OTP situations.

When there are the two guys and the girl, once again, don’t tag all the members of the group. Somebody looking for an Niel fic will be confused by the L.Joe/Ricky/C.A.P/Chunji/Changjo storyline.

There is also the issue of pointless tags. If you are writing a SHINee story and Onew is torn between chicken and a girl, don’t tag it chicken (or write about OnChicken) or I will shoot you from the roof of a school. Don’t tag stupid things, they are a waste of space.