His Power

Library Love

Kevin shook me awake the next morning.

“Wake up sleepyhead, you’ve got volunteer work with Myungsoo today,” he said as he shook me.

“What about the others?” I said into my pillow.

“Busy as usual. Hurry, Myungsoo will leave without you.”

“Ugh…” I groaned and slowly lifted my head. Kevin lifted me up bridal style and carried me into my bathroom, where he set me down on both feet as I rubbed my eyes. As Kevin left, I focused on brushing my teeth. After, I brushed my hair in my room as I poked through my closet, trying to find a dress to wear.

“Hey Jieun?” I heard Myungsoo knocking on my door. I let him in and continued to look though my closet. “Your dress landed in my pile of clothes, I think Jungkook and Ren put it in there as a joke…”

I looked at him to see him holding the dress I was looking for. “You saved my life oppa, I was looking for that dress too!”

I took the dress and shooed him out of room, quickly putting on the dress. I headed to the kitchen, where Kevin handed me a few small muffins.

“You guys will be late, hurry and get the train.”

I glance at the clock. Oh no! I hurriedly ate the muffins as I put on my shoes and saw Myungsoo waiting outside for me. We ran to the station and managed to get on board. Entering the library, we signed in, put on the badges, and looked at the job board.

“Tutoring?” I looked at the board in surprise.

“That shouldn’t be too bad. Let’s hurry and set up the room, we don’t have enough time,” Myungsoo grabbed my hand and we rushed over to the playroom area, where tables and chairs laid, waiting to be set up. I began unfolding the chairs as Myungsoo began taking the legs of the tables out. We quickly set up the tables and chairs around the room, with a small white board at each table.

“We need markers. Wait here, I’ll be right back,” Myungsoo rushed off. I waited only for a few minutes until he came back, a few boxes of markers in his arms. I took half of the boxes and began putting a few markers at each table. Soon, we heard a school bus arrive outside. We propped open the door and waited. After a few minutes, we heard the chattering of elementary school kids and their teachers. The students came into the room and settled down into chairs around the tables. After a few seconds, they all became quiet. The teachers introduced themselves and Myungsoo and I did the same. At the teacher’s start, they kids all took out a workbook and began to work, raising their hands if they needed help. The teachers began to get busy so Myungsoo and I helped out whoever had their hands up. I saw a girl in year 5 at a table with her hand up, patiently waiting. I walked over.

“Unni, I’m confused, how do I solve this?” the girl asked me. I looked at the problem in the workbook.

I read the problem out loud. “y=3/5x + 7 isn’t that hard, what are you confused with?”

“How to get rid of the fraction…”

I began to guide her through the process to get rid of it. “Multiply the denominator by each term in the equation, including the y.”

After she had finished, she looked up at me. I quickly continued. “What did you get?”

“5y = 3x + 35?”

I did the math in my head. “That’s right! Now you need to find x. But what’s wrong with 5y = 3x + 35?”

“There’s a coefficient in front of it… oh, I think I can do it unni!”

I watched as she began dividing numbers and writing out the final answer. “Is this right?”

I checked my answers handbook. “Yes it is! You did a great job…”

“Yuna.”

“Yes, great job Yuna. Keep doing the rest of the problems.”

“Okay!” she went back into her workbook, happy that she knew what to do. After another hour or so, they began to pack up. Myungsoo and I saw them out of the door. After the last student had left, I began cleaning up any papers and trash while Myungsoo folded up the tables and chairs. I picked up a piece of paper and let it fall into the bin.

“Ouch!” I suddenly felt a stinging on my finger. Looking closely, I saw a paper cut forming.

“Jieun!” Myungsoo quickly came over and saw my finger bleeding. He hesitated but grabbed my hand in the end. “Jieun, please don’t freak out.”

“What?” I was confused at first as he wrapped his hand around my cut finger. I watched as he closed his eyes and I felt a warm light enveloping my finger that Myungsoo was holding. After a few more seconds, he let go. I watched in amazement as the cut slowly faded away until it completely disappeared.

“M-Myungsoo?” I stammered. He tried to reach out to me but I backed away, frightened. “What exactly are you guys?”