Part Two

Staring Contest

Joshua couldn't believe his ears when Jeonghan told him not even fifteen minutes into their study session that there was a group of people spying on them in his treehouse. Sure enough however when he sneakily glanced out his window they were. His idiotic friends cramped up that old treehouse, eyes firmly fixed on his window. “I knew they were invested in this relationship but I didn’t know they’d go that far.” He fumed loudly, wanting nothing more than to storm outside and send the boys home.

    Jeonghan quirked an eyebrow. “Invested?” He set down the English book and fell back on the bed. Joshua had gotten used to him giving up only a few minutes into every lesson but as of right now he could have cared less.  

    “They have a couple of theories about you,” Joshua muttered, moving the book and taking a spot next to Jeonghan on his bed. Jeonghan rolled onto his side to face him with a questioning look. “You know how you stared at me for a long time before we even knew each other’s names?” 

    “Ah yes, the good ol’ days.” Jeonghan smiled. 

    “You mean the creepy days.” Joshua was still trying to figure out why Jeonghan had stared at him for so long without talking to him. In the end every time he asked the long haired boy about it he would just smile and say "maybe another time" before changing the subject. Joshua would be lying if he didn't say it sparked his interested but of course not enough to go out of his way to figure it all out. He was happy just being Jeonghan's tutor. "Anyways, they have a bunch of stupid theories as to why you stared at me." 

      "Like what?" Jeonghan asked, amused by this whole thing. Joshua shook his head trying to ignore the other ones pout. "Please, tell me. I won't laugh I promise." 
 
    Joshua sighed defeatedly. "Well, it's all really dumb."  

     "I mean, they are coming from the group of people hiding in treehouse peeping on their best friend." Jeonghan chuckled. 

     Laughter filled the room, relaxing the American boy a little bit. "Very true. So there's two theories, one is that you were staring at me because you dislike me and hold some massive grudge against me that you are going to use to seek my demise." 

     "Obviously true. What's the second theory?" 

     "That you actually love me," 
     
      A deafening silence filled the room. Jeonghan could only look at Joshua with his mouth hanging open, letting the theory sink it. Then a smile spread across his face and he laughed so loud that it practically scared Joshua to death. Tears filled his eyes as he choked out, "I'm sorry, it's just-" but was cut off due to his own laughter. 

      "And you promised you wouldn't laugh." Joshua rolled his eyes, a slight bit embarrassed. 

     "Joshua! I have the perfect idea!" Jeonghan suddenly shouted sitting up quickly. "Let's mess with your friends." Joshua quirked an eyebrow at the mischievous glint in the others eyes. “Invite them over for a sleepover and we’ll trick them that we’re totally into each other-” 

     “No.” Joshua replied flatly. “Never gonna happen.” Jeonghan sighed, his pout returning. 

     “Why not? It could be so much fun! Plus, it’s not like anything will happen. We’re not really into each other. We could just string them on for the night and then in the morning tell them it was a prank.” Jeonghan explained, his hands flying in exaggerated motions as if it would help get the point across better. 

     “They’ll never let it drop if we do that.” Joshua sighed. “It would be funny but knowing my friends they would think the prank was us telling them that we aren’t into each other.” 

      “Fine. But you really should invite them over. Since I’m new to school you’re my only friend and it would be nice to make more.” Jeonghan gave gleaming smile that the other boy couldn’t resist. Joshua reluctantly called the boys in the treehouse inside through his window much to the others satisfaction. 

 

     “How long did you know we were out there?” Soonyoung asked as soon as Joshua opened the door. “We were sure to be quiet the whole way here and stay low in the treehouse. The plan was foolproof I tell you, foolproof.”

     “Soonyoung, he probably knew the whole time. We kind of at being sneaky.” Jihoon muttered as the five boys pushed their way inside without a greeting. 

      Seungcheol hopped on the couch with a still ranting Soonyoung, Wonwoo and Mingyu made a break for the kitchen, as Jihoon made his way up stairs most likely to grab the guitar. “Just make yourselves at home, don’t be shy.” Joshua ran his hands through his hair with a defeated sigh causing Jeonghan to laugh. 

       “I assume they’re over a lot.” Jeonghan smiled, watching the once quiet house become rather busy. 

      “You have no idea,” They sure were in for a heck of a long night.  


       Once the tree house boys had settled down the questions edged into their brains began to slowly emerge. “So boys, I see you two seem to be quite comfortable with each other. Although, we weren’t informed that you both actually talked or anything.” Seungcheol started off in a very “mom like” tone. 

       “Yeah, and that you were actually study partners.” Wonwoo remarked, still slightly confused by this whole thing. 

“Care to explain yourselves?” Soonyoung asked, crossing his legs and sitting up; putting full attention on his American friend. “Because I know we all would love to hear about it.” As if a cue, all four other boys pushed their way onto the living room couch copying Soonyoung’s pose leaving Joshua and Jeonghan standing awkwardly standing before them. 

“Um, hey guys this is Jeonghan and I tutor him in English.” Joshua laughed wishing for the awkwardness to just go away. It was so like his friends to make this into some type of intenses interrogation session.

“Oh Jeonghan, you mean the kid that literally stared at you for months. The kid that you told us that you didn’t want anything to do with. The same boy that you said that you never talk to. Same longhaired Jeonghan or am I mistake?” 

Joshua was extremely close to slapping someone at this point. “Jihoon, no need to be so sassy.” he murmured making the younger boy scoff in a way that he knew he would regret later. 

“Excuse Jihoon’s behavior. We’re just all feeling a little betrayed here.” Mingyu said, attempting to ease the atmosphere but only earned an eyebrow raise and sharp gaze from his American hyung. “I mean, you kept us in the dark about these meetups and-” 

“What are you guys, my mother?” Joshua for the first time in his life was visibly angry. And if that didn’t scare the boys then who knows what would. Gentleman-like Joshua does not get angry. Ever. 

“We just like to be informed when our friend is doing something without us. You could of told us-” Wonwoo tried his best to loosen the conversation but was quickly cut off by Joshua’s hand. 

“Guys, really? You guys were way too invested in the whole ‘Josh has a stalker thing’ that if I said I was tutoring him and friends with him you all would never let it drop. I assume you all saw us talking at school and then you guys freaking followed us home and instead of just leaving after that you climbed into my treehouse to watch us through my window! Who does that?” At this point Joshua was fuming.

“Caring friends who only want the best for their loved ones?” Soonyoung tried with a hopefully smile. 

“No, stalkers, creeps, and friends who don’t understand the value of person space.” 

“Honestly,” Seungcheol started after a few seconds of uncomfortable silence. “if you would of told us it probably would of been a lot worse. School would of been a living hell so it’s probably best that we ended up in a treehouse and not in your homeroom class spying.” Joshua shot him a look a pure hatred. “I mean, as the oldest one here I definitely tried to tell them to drop it but they just wouldn’t listen-” The next look he got quickly silenced him.

“Um, can I speak?” Jeonghan spoke to the boys for the first time. “I think it’s kind of sweet that they care so much about you, Joshua, that they would spend an afternoon just to watch you. They probably just wanted to check up on you but didn’t want to interrupt anything. I’m sure it was all out of good faith.” 

This is how Joshua discovered Jeonghan’s angelic side that was far too forgiving and positive. This was also how Jeonghan got officially accepted into the friend group of the six boys. Although the other five boys were kicked out of the house a few moments later when the couch collapsed due to the extreme amount of weight on it, they still look back and remember that day as the day that “Yoon-Angel Graced Them”.  


A couple of weeks went by and now Jeonghan was an official member of their group. He sat with the boys at lunch, he met up with them after school, and the annual Friday night sleepovers turned into annual group nights to the movies or the mall. Everything was good, everything was well. Except for one person. 

Seungcheol couldn’t figure out what was bothering him for the past couple of weeks that Jeonghan joined their group. It was nothing against the boy, he was the most kind hearted kid on the planet. But there was something bothering him, he just couldn’t put his finger on it. 

At first he thought it might be how the boys hair got in his food when he ate. He would use one hand to hold it back while the other was used to shovel mass amounts of food into his face; however, there was one section of hair that always seemed to fall directly into the food right as he ate it. Seungcheol found himself countless amounts of times reaching over to hold the others hair back for him just to make sure the “food hair occurrence” never happened. But when the boy came to school one day his hair nicely tied back, a small section hanging loosely out of the hair tie (still makings its way into his food every once and a while) Seungcheol realized his hair wasn’t what was bothering him. It was bothersome (and confusing because it always looked good no matter what) but it just wasn't it. 

Next he thought maybe it was his laugh. Everytime the boy laughed it always felt so sincere and honest. You could just tell he was having fun without even looking at him. He laughed at stupid things that didn’t deserve to have his breath wasted on but even those sounded genuine. But Seungcheol decided quickly that that also was not what was bothering him about the boy. 

Then one day at lunch he finally noticed it. It had taken a month but he finally discovered what exactly it was that bothered him about Jeonghan. He wasn't sure if the other boys noticed it and just chose to ignore it or if only he had realized it. But one thing for sure, he for one couldn't let it drop. 

Jeonghan still continuously stared at Joshua. 

And if no one else was going to mention this or question it, well, it look as if it was up to Seungcheol to get to the bottom of this staring ame.