Part Three

Staring Contest

Seungcheol arrived early to lunch that fateful day mainly because he was starving, but also it was time. Today was the day he got behind what this “Jeonghan staring at Joshua for way too long and way too much” drama was. He had arranged a plan and it was sure to be a success. Unlike Soonyoung’s plans, Seungcheol had thought of anything and everything that could go wrong and made sure to have multiple backup plans just in case.

 

The plan went as followed, make sure to get to lunch earlier than all of the other boys (check) then as the boys arrive make sure they sit in a way that Seungcheol was directly in front of Jeonghan. This way he could watch the others movements and pick up precisely when the other started his staring. Next he had two things that he could do depending on the mood of the table and what he felt up too. He could A.) bring up the staring casually to the entire table towards the end of lunch or B.) bring it up directly to Jeonghan in their next class that they surprisingly had together this entire year without knowing it. He felt as if option B would suffice better, but decided to leave it all up to the moment. Next, after he chose his route, Jeonghan would either admit it or deny it. If he denied Seungcheol would back off and spend the next couple of days collecting picture evidence that would make the other boy admit that he stared at Joshua (he had decided long ago to do anything and everything in his power to get to the bottom of this). If he admitted it right off the bat then all Seungcheol would have to do would be play the part of the caring and interested friend to make Jeonghan explain himself. There was nothing that could ruin this artwork, this masterpiece, this glorious plan. It was, as Soonyoung would say, completely and utterly foolproof.

 

“Wow, you’re here early.” Jihoon commented as he walked up to the table, taking the seat next to Seungcheol like he normally did. “How long have you been sitting by yourself?”

 

“A while,” Seungcheol commented not really listening to the younger boy. He loved Jihoon, even if he was unsure if the other loved him back at times, but right now he was far too focused to have a legit conversation. Jihoon didn’t know it, but Seungcheol was about to crack the case of a lifetime and didn’t need any interruptions.

 

Soonyoung showed up a few minutes later to a silent table. He took the seat in front of Seungcheol but was quickly picked up and placed in chair next to it. Soonyoung thought about questioning the older boy, but decided it would be better to stay quiet and just observe. There were very few times that their table was ever silent and honestly it was quite startling to the occupants that were slowly arriving. Soonyoung made sure to point for Wonwoo and Mingyu to sit anywhere but in that one chair as they showed up and was going to do the same for Joshua and Jeonghan when Seungcheol interrupted him.

 

“Jeonghan, I saved you a spot.” The other boys could have choked on their food at that moment. Seungcheol ignored them as he pointed to the seat in front of him which Jeonghan gladly took, oblivious to the gaping stares. It took a lot of work but Seungcheol mentally checked off portion two of his plan.

 

“I’m going to get food now. Don’t talk about anything too interesting without me!” Mingyu said, glad to get away from the weird behavior Seungcheol was displaying. He patted Wonwoo on the head as he walked by causing the other to smile up at him.

 

“God, will you two just date already?” Soonyoung said once Mingyu was out of earshot. “It’s actually beginning to become painful watching you two do this little ‘experiment’ or whatever you like to call it.”

 

“It’s all just for fun. Mingyu doesn’t really like me like that.” Wonwoo laughed. He failed to admit that it was just as painful, if not more, for him as it was for the other boys.

 

Jihoon sighed loudly, bringing the attention to him. “Could you be more dense? Mingyu obviously has a thing for you or else he wouldn’t of kept this thing going for so long.”

 

“Wait, you two aren’t dating?” Jeonghan tilted his head, completely taken aback. “But you two hold hands and hug for extended amounts of time and say sweet things that are way too cute to be said and have pet names and are my otp and-”

 

“Whoa, put a filter on yourself will you?” Jihoon snapped. Lovey dovey romantic stuff wasn’t his thing in anyway, form, or fashion.

 

“We’re just playing a game. It’s all Joshua’s doing anyways.” Wonwoo murmured. Jeonghan turned his head to the boy on his right demanding an answer (Seungcheol didn’t know if this counted as staring but decided it did and made a mental note of it).

 

“I just don’t really believe that much in love so-” Jeonghan turned white as a sheet and fell straight to the floor.

 

“Did Joshua Hong really just say that he doesn’t believe that love, the number one form of happiness, is real?” Actual tears fell from his eyes when the said boy nodded. “That’s it. You sad, unfortunate boy. I’ve unfriended you. You can no longer sit with us. Leave.”

 

“Jeonghan, are you having a mental breakdown right now?”

 

“So what if I am? I didn’t realize I was friends with someone so heartless.”

 

“Anyways,” Soonyoung who was currently comforting the longhaired boy started in an effort to stop the fight. “Mingyu and Wonwoo started their whole fake-lationship to see if ‘love was real’. Speaking of which, how does the game end?” All boys turned their attention to Wonwoo, extremely curious.

 

“If we don’t fall in love then love isn’t real. If we fall in love, then it’s real.” Honestly, those words "fall in love" made Wonwoo cringe. And it made him cringe telling his friends the details of the game. Just thinking about it gave him the chills.

 

“And, have you fallen in love?” Jihoon asked, rather bored by this whole conversation. The deep voiced boy turned a shade of bright red that no human should ever turn. “I take it that you have. And what about the giant?” Wonwoo shook his head. “Well, just make him love you. No big deal.”

 

“What do you think I’ve been trying to do for the past two months.” Wonwoo muttered. “It’s not that easy. Mingyu is pretty dense”

 

“Not my fault you’re in love with an idiot.”

 

At that moment Mingyu appeared with a tray overflowing with food. He looked around and was ultimately taken aback by a crying Jeonghan. “I told you guys not to talk about the good stuff without me!”   


 

Due to the Mingyu and Wonwoo's love struggle at lunch (which all of the boys vowed to help Wonwoo out with) Jeonghan didn’t stare all that much at Joshua. Seungcheol figured it was probably due to Joshua pronouncing that love is false and decided to use that to his advantage as he walked with the long haired boy to class. “Hey, sit by me today!” He smiled to which the other seemed over joyed by.

 

“We never sit by each other in this class and I don’t understand why.” Jeonghan laughed as they walked into the room, taking two seats in the back. “I normally sit up front. This is so different!” Seungcheol rolled his eyes at how over the top excited the other was. That was such a Jeonghan thing to do.

 

“So, lunch was interesting.” He started.

 

Jeonghan’s face visibly got dark way too fast. “Don’t even get me started on it.” Seungcheol could only awkwardly laugh as Jeonghan frowned so deep it was sure to give him wrinkles. Who knew someone so angelic and happy could be so scary?

 

Seungcheol sighed. How was he supposed to talk about the staring contest going on if Jeonghan was upset with his staree? He decided to test the waters a little bit. “So I take it that you’re pretty upset about what Joshua said?”

 

“Joshua? Whose Joshua? That name is irrelevant to me.”

 

All hope seemingly vanished. He had not planned for this. “Look, Jeonghan,” the boy looked at him with completely pure and innocent eyes. The change was frightening. “It’s not that he doesn’t believe in love. He just hasn’t found love yet. I’m sure he’s actually super romantic if he could just find the right person.” Jeonghan nodded slowly, comprehending what had been said. “And if it makes you feel any better, Jihoon doesn’t believe in love either.”

 

Jeonghan busted out in his usual laughter. “That’s your problem not mine.”

 

“My problem? How is Jihoon’s views on love my problem?”

 

“You both obviously like each other.”

 

Well, this has taken an unexpected turn yet again.

 

“No no, I think you’re mistaken. I do not like Jihoon. I mean I like him sure, but I don’t like him the way you implied.” He didn’t like Jihoon like that. He would know if he had stronger feelings than friendship for his younger friend and he’s checked, he definitely did not.

 

“That’s okay. You just haven’t realized it yet.” Jeonghan gave a reasurring smile as he started to unpack his bags. Was this kid for real right now? Did he not hear a single thing Seungcheol had just said?

 

“You’re mistaken. I’m straight.”

 

Jeonghan gave another genuine laugh. “Sure.”

 

Seungcheol was more than angry now. He was furious. And being furious he spoke without tihnking. “Well, if we’re gonna accuse people of stuff then I bet you like Joshua!”

 

“Yeah.”

 

Seungcheol blinked.

 

Then blinked again.

 

And blinked one last time.

 

Did Jeonghan really just say “yeah” to liking Joshua? Did he really just openly admit to something this dramatic with the single word “yeah”? Did Seungcheol just crack the case? “Wait, what did you say?”
 

“That I like Joshua?” Jeonghan asked. “I thought you all already knew. I mean, I stare at him a lot.”

 

“I noticed! I noticed the staring! You’re not as sneaky as you thought you were Mr. Yoon because, ha ha, I caught you! I cracked the staring case!” Pumping his fists in the air Seungcheol gave one last holler before being shushed by his classmates to quiet down.  

 

“What? I just told you. You literally did nothing.”

 

“Don’t deny it. I’m an expert detective. I clearly set you up for this one.” Seungcheol couldn’t be more thrilled at his discovery. Sure, it hadn’t followed the plan precisely but he did it. He found out why Jeonghan stared at Joshua. Now what to do with the information.

 

“So, now that you know and you aren’t freaked out by it at all, thank goodness, do you want to help me?” Jeonghan whispered a few minutes after class started. Seungcheol carefully considered his options before answering.

 

“What do you mean by ‘help’? I don’t really like putting a lot of effort into things that don’t have a direct benefit for me.”

 

“What I mean is help Joshua realize that he actually loves me of course.”

 

This was not what Seungcheol signed up for when he decided to become friends with this group of losers. He was now stuck helping two sets of people get together and he honestly never felt more overwhelmed in his life. But he accepted to help and never backed down from a challenge. Especially when the challenge involved embarrassing his friends in front of their crushes and receiving ice cream once they all got together.

Let the games begin.     

~~~

Whoop there it is.

So... whose seen our new background and cover art? Actually in love with it! Click Here to get your own from Summer Breeze Graphic Shop!!

Anyways, thank you all for your support! Please make sure to subscribe and comment so I know if this is worth continuing or not. I update at least every three days so see you guys soon! Thank you all and have the most wonderful day!