Part One

Staring Contest

     "The long haired kid is staring at you again." Soonyoung whispered as the group of boys sat down at their usual lunch table. Joshua slowly turned around to make perfect eye contact with the new transfer student. His long hair and pretty face constantly caught Joshua off guard--even more so when the boy had been staring him down every single lunch since he'd arrived at the school two weeks ago. 

      "I say you just go up and talk to him," Jihoon said. Jihoon had been the first to notice the kid staring at him, and was the one most annoyed with what little action Joshua was taking towards it. "The kid obviously has something against you." 

    "Or something for you," Seungcheol cut in, wiggling his eyebrows. Jihoon made a face of pure disgust at the boy before shoving him into his seat beside him. 

    "If the kid liked Joshua, he wouldn't be glaring at him. He would at least look a slight bit dazed with love," Jihoon explained as if it was the most obvious thing in the world. 

    "That's true. This kid just seems upset," the tall boy, Mingyu, added as he and another boy, Wonwoo, came to join the table. "Have we even figured out long haired kids name?" All the other boys shook their heads and Mingyu sighed. 

    "Then let's figure out his name. After that we can figure out what exactly he has against Joshua-hyung," Wonwoo explained. 

   "Or we could just ignore him. I mean, I'm the victim in all of this and you guys seem more affected by it than I am." Joshua sighed. He really didn't want to get to know the long haired boy. Sure, it was kind of interesting as to why he constantly chose to stare daggers into his back but he didn't see the point in trying to befriend him. If the kid really wanted to be his friend he could come up and talk to him. 

     "What's the fun in ignoring him when this is obviously a drama just waiting to be played out?" Soonyoung practically yelled. Soonyoung could never understand how the American boy never wanted to partake in anything the slightest bit interesting. 

     "Joshua, what if he loves you?" Seungcheol reasoned, to which Joshua just shrugged and continued eating his sandwich. "He could be the love of your life and you don't even care. What kind of human being are you?"

      "What if I don't believe in love at all?" The table was instantly filled with gasps and then followed by a deafening silence. 

      "Are you the anti-Christ?" Soonyoung breathed after a while earning a sharp kick under the table.

      "I just don't believe in all the romantic stuff like love at first sight or anything." Seungcheol shook his head and Mingyu and Wonwoo "pretended" to cry on each other's shoulders although a few actual tears were shed as Soonyoung just continued to stare at him with his mouth wide open and shin throbbing. 

       "I get that," Jihoon shrugged nonchalantly.

       "Well of course you do. You're practically Satan with all your built up aggression in that tiny body," another kick was placed strategically on Soonyoung's shin. 

       All the while the said group of boys failed to see one long haired bystander giggling to himself at the scene he was witnessing.

 

     "Look there is he!" Soonyoung pounced on Joshua after the final bell ended. The six boys usually met up outside of the front gates to walk home together since they all lived close and Joshua instantly regretted not going on ahead. "Let's go talk to him!" Joshua quickly maneuvered away before the boy could get ahold of his wrist. 

       "Who are we trying to go talk to?" Mingyu asked up, his hand quickly latching onto Wonwoo's who showed up a few seconds later. Joshua quirked an eyebrow at the two since they usually didn't hold hands in which Mingyu responded with, "We're trying to see if love is real." And Joshua felt the sudden urge to slap him. 

       "I was trying to get him to talk to long-haired boy." Soonyoung explained once the others arrived. Long haired boy still stood a good walk away in the same spot where they saw him before talking on his cell phone. 

       "Are we still on that?" Jihoon asked sounding extremely bored. 

       "You're just jealous because Joshua is finding love and you aren't," Seungcheol joked, poking the younger boys cheeks. To which the boy stepped on the others foot without the slightest bit of regret. 

        "Listen, it would be perfect. Joshua could casually bump into him and knock his cell phone out of his hands. And then you could quickly add your number and boom, your true love now has you on speed dial." Soonyoung explained. Wonwoo was the only to react with an unenthusiastic "ahh" making Soonyoung frown. "It was a good plan." 

        "No. No, it wasn't. Not even in the slightest." Jihoon commented flatly to which Soonyoung ignored and continued frowning. 

       Joshua would of laughed except he suddenly felt a weird sensation. He looked up to see the long haired boy in the same spot, but now staring at him like normal. They made eye contact and neither one looked away. Only after a few seconds did the other boy smile slightly and Joshua's mind was made up. "I'll be back," 

      As quickly as he could he strolled towards the other boy. The boy had a look of utter shock when realized Joshua was standing right in front of him. His cheeks grew red and he instantly looked away, letting his long hair fall slightly in front of his face. 

      "You stare at me a lot," Joshua started bluntly. "I'm not going to ask why but I would like to be formally introduced to my staring contest partner before we continue these silent games." 

      The boy couldn't help but laugh loudly catching Joshua off guard. "Jeonghan," and for the first time being close to each other the two boys made eye contact. "Yoon Jeonghan."

      "Nice to meet you, Jeonghan. I'm Joshua. I hope we can talk some other time besides just glaring at each other. I have to go now. I'll see you tomorrow" and with that Joshua jogged away leaving Jeonghan stunned and slightly amused at his pun. If he could have squealed he would of. 

        Joshua slowed his pace as he reached his friends who were frozen in place where he left them. He argued mentally with himself if he should just continue walking home but decided they at least deserved to know the boys name. The boy that blushed when he spoke to him. The boy that he actually sort of found himself wanting to get to know better. The boy who which he made the most idiotic pun to. Yes, they at least needed to know his name. 

       "Um, what was that?" Seungcheol said as Joshua slowly started leading the group home. 

       "Just making a new friend, that's all." Joshua grinned. The other boys couldn't hide their amazement. 

        "Are you sure you're the same quiet boy I've come to know and love? Are you really sure you're the same Joshua Hong who barely spoke for the first few months of moving to Korea?" Mingyu asked, instantly shaking Joshua down. "Are you sick? Do you have a fever?" His hands flew to Joshua's forehead, relieved when they found out the other boy was perfectly normal. 

       "Mingyu, I'm fine. I just figured out the boys name so you guys would stop pestering me about it." 


    
       The pestering however did not stop. The staring didn't stop. And everything in Joshua Hong's life seemingly got more annoying for him. His friend continuously bugged him to see if he had spoken to Jeonghan again, which the answer was always a polite "no". Jeonghan continuously stared at him, if not more than ever now, making Joshua slightly regret not telling the boy to stop when he asked his name. 

      Finally one day he decided to do something about it. 

      It had been the day that the friend group couldn't meet up after school. Seungcheol had basketball practice, Mingyu and Wonwoo had a "first date" for their love experiment to see if love was actually real (which all the other boys agreed was a pretty lame excuse to get together seeing that the two boys were obviously head over heels infatuated with each other but refused to admit it), Soonyoung had dance practice, and Jihoon was just sick of everyone. This left Joshua to walk home alone, finally letting him escape the teasing. 

     Jeonghan was a few paces behind Joshua when he noticed the boy walking alone and not stopping to wait for his friends like he normally did after school (not like he'd know or anything). It was this very moment that Jeonghan felt adrenaline race through his body and before he knew it he was walking beside the American boy. "Want to walk together?" He asked, a broad smile breaking across his pale face. Joshua could only manage to nod his head. 

    Walking together turned out not to be as awkward as either of the two imagined. They walked in silence but it was comfortable. Until Joshua started thinking about the silence and then about how it wasn't awkward thus a new level of awkward arose because the whole situation was indeed not awkward.   

    "Wow, we must live close together it seems." Jeonghan pointed out after fifteen minutes of not awkward awkward silence. Joshua nodded and the silence began to engulf them once more. "I just moved here so I don't really know who lives near me but we should hangout sometime since we live so close together!" Jeonghan mentally slapped himself for saying all of that. It was way too forward for his liking and probably freaked Joshua out. 

     "Yeah sure, that would cool." Joshua smiled and Jeonghan thanked the lord for making him such a nice boy. "Want to come hang out now?" This time it was Joshua mentally slapping himself. Who the hell asks a boy they don't know at all to hang out at their house with them? No one, that's who. 

     Jeonghan stopped walking, practically freezing on the spot and forgetting how to breathe. "Really?" Joshua nodded sheepishly sending a wide smile across the long haired boys face. "I'd love to-" Jeonghan coughed, brought his voice down an octave or two. "I mean, that would be cool man." 
      
      They arrived at Joshua's house about five minutes later and Joshua began to really wonder if he wanted to let this strange boy know where he lived. But then he figured that if this boy stared at him all the time, he was basically a harmless stalker, and would figure it out for himself sooner or later anyways. Upon letting Jeonghan invade his house, Joshua sent a quick text to his mom saying a friend was over since she always worked late and wouldn't be home. 

     "Wow, your house is so clean!" Jeonghan breathed out in awe. He was right, everything in the house was very orderly making it seem that if you were to move one thing it would offset the entire house. 

      "Yeah, my mom likes things to always look nice in case we have a guest over." Joshua explained, putting his and Jeonghan's shoes in the shoe cabinet by the door. 

      "I guess we can go hang out in my room. I don't really know to do," Joshua said, more to himself than the boy in front of him. He lead the way up the stairs, trying to figure out anything to do. In the short amount of time it took to make it to his room the only thing he came up with was doing homework. 

      "Wow, your room is so nice!" Jeonghan clapped his hand at the sight of the others room. It was pretty plain like the rest of the house without a single item falling out of line. The blue bed was in the center of the majority white room with a guitar lying on top of it. Joshua sat his bag down next to the instrument and then picked it up and placed it on its stand in the corner. "Do you play?" 

      "A little bit," Joshua grinned after his humble statement. This boy had no idea how much music meant to him. This guitar was his baby (a baby the Jihoon had multiple times almost broken in attempts to murder people, namely Mingyu, and now Joshua had anxiety every time his friends entered his room).  

      Jeonghan smiled, taking a seat at the desk chair in front of the bed. "That's cool! I wish I could play guitar." He pouted a little and both boys laughed even though it wasn't funny. The not awkward awkward atmosphere was back, and Jeonghan needed a way to fix and fix it fast. "Hey, this might be kind of weird to ask, but could you help me with my English homework?" 

       Nailed it. 

      "Are you having trouble in English?" Joshua asked surprised. Since English was his first language it shocked him at first when people had great trouble with it. ("Not everyone is a bilingual god like you, hyung" Mingyu had joked many times before forcing said God to do his work by offering to buy him chocolate afterwards). 

      "Yeah, I'm kind of failing hardcore." The long haired boy muttered under his breath. So what if that wasn't completely true, anything to make this hang out last. 

      "Don't tell me you've been staring at me just to try and make me your tutor!" Joshua laughed way too loudly. Jeonghan grinned and shook his head, that wasn't the reason at all but it could be a good start. "Sure, let's start now." 

       These weekly Friday study sessions quickly turned into weekly Friday sleepovers that quickly became Saturday hang outs as well. The two boys grew rather fond of each other over next couple of months (not to mention Jeonghan's English grade became a solid B+ from the "hardcore failing" C it date at before) however they never hung out besides these study sessions. In fact, the rest of the week they just went back to staring at each other from a far although the game was more toned down now, only lasting for a few seconds each day. 

   Some might find this relationship dumb or counteractive. The boys found it perfect. It was like their own secret friendship. And now when they were staring at each other they were doing mental check ups on the other. Seeing if they were happy or sad, just making sure they were okay. 

     "So I guess long haired boy is giving up on you, Joshua." Soonyoung commented one day at lunch. Joshua shrugged. He hadn't bothered to mention that he had been tutoring Jeonghan for the past three months to his friends. They would try and invade their friendship ruin the peace and balance of it all. 

     "This is so sad." Seungcheol murmured, resting his head on Jihoon's shoulder who promptly shoved him off. "The one person who slightly had interest in you gave up." 

     "Maybe he's just taking a break?" Mingyu asked, reaching to steal Wonwoo's cookie who quickly shoved it in his own mouth. Mingyu pouted at his "sort of boyfriend but not because it's all just an experiment" until the other boy rolled his eyes and handed him his other cookie. 

      "What do you mean he's 'taking a break'?" Jihoon asked, eventually giving up to Seungcheol persistent head resting. "It's not like they were dating or anything." 

      "You know, he just taking a break from stalking Joshua with his eyes. It's probably hard work having to stare at him all the time," Soonyoung laughed. 

      "Who wouldn't want to stare at me all day long though?" Joshua commented under his breath earning a tableful of eye rolls. 

      "I'm so upset that Joshua let this relationship fade away." Soonyoung sighed again. If only they knew. 

 

   "Joshua!" Jeonghan pounced on his back after school like every other Friday, just a little bit too excited for his liking. "Guess what!" The boy could barely contain his excitement. Before Joshua had a chance to speak he quickly shouted out, "I got a perfect score on my most recent English test!" 

     "You didn't even let me guess," Joshua stated after a few seconds making the other playfully hit his arm. "I'm kidding, that's great Jeonghan! I'm so proud of you!" 

     "It's all because of your teaching skills!" Jeonghan laughed. "I never expected you to be such an amazing teacher. Thank you so much!" Joshua smile at the boy widely, watching his new friends eyes glitter with pure happiness. He'd never seen Jeonghan so happy and he had to say, it was a beautiful sight in the most manly way possible. 

     Another person a few feet away behind a bush watching the two wouldn't quite say it was a beautiful sight but moreover a peculiar one. And he knew his friends would think so as well. 

 

     The two boys walking towards Joshua's house had no idea that five others were following a few feet away. "Why would Joshua never tell us that he's friends with long haired boy!" Soonyoung whispered, extremely upset over this entire situation. 

     "Probably because he didn't want us ruining another friendship," Jihoon stated to which Seungcheol put a hand quickly over his mouth. 

     "No no. We never ruined any friendships. That Hansol kid just wasn't tough enough to handle our group," Seungcheol explained. 

     "We scared the only other English speaker in the school away from our American friend. That's pretty much what ruining friendships is." Jihoon muttered dryly. 

     "Okay, enough talk about that kid. Let's focus on this one," Soonyoung said, trying to ease the tension between the two. 

     "When do you think they started hanging out?" Wonwoo asked, hand grasped firmly within Mingyu's. 

      "And what are they doing now? I hope they aren't having a sleepover because then I'll have to join in," Mingyu commented with a serious laugh. Mingyu couldn't help it, he just really liked sleepovers. 

       "We could always go and ask them." Jihoon murmured. "Not creep behind our friend like some stalkers," 

       "No!" Soonyoung yelled, making the two boys in front of them slightly glance over their shoulders. Luckily the group behind was fast enough to hide behind a strategically placed near by tree. "No, we can't! It'll ruin their natural atmosphere!" He hissed quietly as the two boy continued walking. 

       "What do you mean?" Jihoon asked in a regular voice to which Soonyoung instantly hushed. 

      "I mean, they won't act like how they usually do together if we're there. It'll all just become awkward." 

      "So when they walk inside Joshua's house in a couple of minutes how do we plan to watch them?" Jihoon's eyebrows raised. He had always been good at finding the flaws in the others plan. 

      "If we go into his backyard in the old treehouse we'll have a clear view of his bedroom window since he doesn't have curtains." Mingyu said suddenly. 

      "That's how we'll watch them! Stop trying to ruin all of my fool-proof plans, Jihoon." Soonyoung laughed triumphantly. 

    They continued creeping behind the two boys before something clicked in all of their brains. "Mingyu?" Wonwoo started, releasing their hands. "How did you know how to peep into Joshua's window?" 

    Mingyu, completely unaware at how uncomfortable everyone else was, shrugged. "Jihoon knows why." Jihoon raised his eyebrow for the nth time that afternoon and quickly wished he hadn't. "That's where the upperclassmen Doyoon used to live before he moved. Remember when you dared me to get a picture of him for you and if I did you would pay me fifty bucks? I followed him home and used the treehouse to see into his room to get that picture of him shirt-" A hand was placed firmly on his mouth. 

     "No no... Don't speak any more." 

      And that's how the group of friends found out of Jihoon's unhealthy obsession with an upperclassmen and Mingyu was surprisingly really good at stalking people. 

 

Mingyu had been right. As soon as the boys went inside Joshua's house the group following them quickly jumped the backyard fence even though the gate was unlocked (it made the mission seem more dangerous) and sprinted over to the treehouse. One by one they made their way into the old structure, finding the perfect view into Joshua's bedroom. 

     All they could see was Jeonghan working hard in some book and Joshua watching him with an unreadable expression. "So Joshua is tutoring him?" Wonwoo asked as Jeonghan finished writing and handed over the book to the other boy. Joshua seriously read over the book and handed it back with short, inaudible words. 

     "And you know what happens when people study together." Soonyoung's eyebrows wiggled. 

     "Shut up idiot." Jihoon placed a firm smack on the back of Sooyoung's head. "Besides, knowing our friend he would be way too shy to make a move even if he liked him." 

      Mingyu made a disappointed 'tsk' sound before adding. "I mean, you never know. Joshua did keep these tutoring session a secret," he wrapped an arm around Wonwoo's waist and pulled him away from the doorframe of the tree house, afraid that his clumsy non-boyfriend may fall out. 

       "It is kind of irritating that he kept it a secret," Wonwoo's sighed, resting comfortably on Mingyu's chest. 
       "What's irritating is that you two lovebirds are ing for an experiment instead of just admitting you're dating!" Jihoon had to quickly be held back from murdering the two smug boys in front of him. 

       "It's all purely for educational purposes. Much like these tutoring sessions," Mingyu beamed. 

        Luckily Seungcheol had yet to release his younger friend from his firm grip. "If the purge was real you best better believe that I would murder you two first."  

     The boys in the treehouse waited another agonizing ten minutes before some "action" finally started to happen. Jeonghan closed the book, seemingly defeated by whatever material he had been studying. Joshua was giving him his "don't give up yet, I believe in you" face as the long haired boy laid his head face down on to the bed he occupied. Awkwardly, Joshua picked up the book and sat it aside before sitting down next to Jeonghan since he didn't know what else to do. 

       "Finally they'll do something besides study," Soonyoung stated excitedly. Out of all of the boys he was the most emotionally invested into this whole thing. If they left that tree house without even seeing a hug the poor boy probably would have spontaneously combust. 

        Jihoon however was quick to shoot down all his hope and dreams. "Nothing's going to happen. It's Joshua we're dealing with. They'll probably just sit and awkwardly talk for the next half hour." Soonyoung shot his friend a look of pure disgust. 

         Sadly, the unenthusiastic boy had been right. For the next thirty minutes the two study partners sat in the same spots they started in and talked until Jeonghan's phone rang. The phone call only last a few seconds but Soonyoung made it seem as though it lasted for years (cutting into his "otp's most crucial moment" and all). Jeonghan hung up and turned to Joshua with a bright expression. They exchanged some words and then started to get up. 

          "Do you think they're going to the front door to say goodbye?" Mingyu asked, looking up from his phone. All of the boys, except for Soonyoung, had occupied themselves with their phones about eight minutes (not that anyone was counting) into this whole thing. Honestly, Soonyoung was surprised they lasted as long as they did. 

        They did not go to the front door to say goodbye. In fact, they did the complete opposite. They walked straight up to the window and opened it. Joshua started waving at the treehouse catching his stalkers so off guard that they didn't have time to actually react and hide. The smile on his face seemed genuine as he yelled for his friends to "stop spying and come sleep over" but his voice sounded forced and his eyes showed pure fury. 

        And that fact alone terrified the boys confined to that unstable wooden box within that old tree almost to tears. 
        But not enough to make them deny the offer of course.

 

~~~~~

I don't even know guys. This is my first Seventeen fic and I really tried my best to be funny but I just don't even know right now. There's more to come so please be sure to subscribe, comment, and upvote this story so I know if it's worth continuing. ^-^ Thank you for joining me, this fic will be an adventure for both of us!