Chapter Six

Unrequited

Kyungsoo sits in his room thinking over the events that have happened the last few days. He still feels the sting of unrequited love, but the last time he saw Jongin, he was happy, despite being injured. Taemin was the one who put that smile on his face, and in a way, Kyungsoo did too. Granted, Taemin and Jongin would have gotten together eventually, but both were too afraid of being rejected. Who knows how long it could have taken if Kyungsoo hadn't intervened. Besides they all went through so much heartache. There was no reason to let that continue. 

He feels better knowing that Jongin is happy and content, even if it's not with him. Kyungsoo finds that it is way easier to let go of the tension that's been gnawing at him now that there are no questions in the air. Taemin loves Jongin. Jongin loves Taemin. It's practically cemented in concrete now with the way Taemin is always by his side. It may seem a little bit depressing, but now that Kyungsoo knows there is no hope of him being with Jongin, he can let go. 

Besides he's starting to get the sneaking suspicion that there is more behind Joonmyun's words of comfort. He may not quite be ready to go down that road just yet, but the fact that Joonmyun is patiently waiting, not pushing him to make a decision, makes his heart soften. Joonmyun's always been a great leader, but now, Kyungsoo sees more than just that. He sees the possibility beyond friendship. He can see all the good qualities in him that would make him the perfect boyfriend. 

But Kyungsoo is not going to try and rush into it. Not really for his sake, but for Joonmyun's. He doesn't want to start a relationship with him as a rebound of sorts. He can do the rebounding without someone distracting him. 

He smiles softly at the empty bed next to his. Jongin's concussion isn't as serious as the doctors originally thought. Apparently, he stayed unconscious for so long because of a combination of dehydration and lack of sleep... both of which were easy fixes. And Jongin's knee surgery went well. He should be back to normal in a few weeks. The doctors said there was no reason to worry. They also said that there might be some pain and discomfort for a while, but he would be okay to dance again. To Jongin, that's all that matters. And while everyone is concerned about the pain, Kyungsoo knows that Taemin's there to keep him in check. 

A strange laugh bubbles past his lips. Since when did he rely on Taemin? It's amusing, in a weird way, but he's thankful for it. 

He stands up and shakes off his thoughts. He needs to pack a suitcase for Jongin. It's already nearing the time he's going to be discharged. Kyungsoo digs around under Jongin's bed and finds his navy blue carry on suitcase. Jongin's part of the closet is always a mess, but it makes it easier for Kyungsoo to find what's his. 

He agrees wholeheartedly with Taemin's choice to have Jongin stay with him. Not only does it give Kyungsoo the space he needs, but it gives Jongin the space he needs, too. Jongin has never enjoyed being babied. With the recent events, everyone has been fussing over him. It makes him visibly uncomfortable, but he clearly doesn't have the heart to turn them away. Kyungsoo thinks it will be good for him to stay with Taemin who has absolutely every right to fuss over him. 

It's also apparent that Jongin only listens to Taemin. Kyungsoo doesn't think he could stop Jongin from pushing himself too hard. Taemin is the only one who would have any luck with that. 

So Kyungsoo finishes folding his clothes nicely and neatly in the suitcase. Even though he was more than willing to do this, he doesn't really want to be the one to drop it off with them. He leaves the room to go find Sehun, who's been eager to tease the two of them. After all, he's close to both of them.

"Sehun," Kyungsoo says, tapping his shoulder.

"What is it?" the younger asks as he turns around. 

"Take this to Jongin and Taemin," he instructs, handing the suitcase to him. 

"When did I turn into your errand boy?" the younger asks. 

"Shut up. You know you want to," Kyungsoo quips with a roll of his eyes. Sometimes the amount of sass Sehun gives him is as annoying as hell. Right now, though, it's all in good fun. The atmosphere is far more lighthearted than it has been in the past week. The change couldn't be better. 

"Fine, but only because you asked so nicely," Sehun retorts with a grin on his face. 

Kyungsoo says nothing as he watches him leave. Despite trying to stay positive, right now, he knows that Jongin is going to stay with Taemin. The pain he feels still lingers in his heart. He wants Jongin to be happy, and though he has accepted that it won't be with him, it still hurts. That pain won't just disappear with logic and good intentions. 

It will take time to heal. He knows that. He also knows that he has the potential to be happy again, too, so he'll let his heart take its time.

---

The past few days have been rather chaotic for Taemin. His sleep schedule is messed up from his first night of no sleep. He ended up napping throughout the day until Kyungsoo sent him home to "freshen up." He reluctantly left and came back as soon as he could. The nurses eventually gave up on trying to kick him out. Maybe Jongin had a say in that, too. He's spent almost as much time as Jongin has in the hospital.

Whenever Taemin was awake for the doctor visits, he always did his best to support Jongin in little ways. An encouraging nod here and there, sometimes linking their hands together. There hadn't been much time to talk about their relationship and how open they should be. Not yet. Both Taemin and Jongin were too busy recovering from the reality of the whole situation, and other things took priority. 

A day after being admitted to the hospital, Jongin went in for the knee arthroscopy. The surgery went well, according to all the doctors. Taemin paid close attention to the after care details. A plan immediately began to form in his mind. With Kyungsoo's agreement, it became set in stone. 

Taemin almost scoffs thinking about how they interact now. There used to be unbridled jealousy on both of their ends. Now... it's not like that. Kyungsoo is the one who pushed them together. Now Taemin and Kyungsoo are working together to help Jongin. It's still a new dynamic and it'll take some time to get used to, but he's relieved. He thinks that somewhere down the line, he could be great friends with Kyungsoo. He seems to be a genuinely good person, and he's just a little bit in awe of him for what he did to bring them together. 

With a small smile on his face, he begins walking to Jongin's room, glad to be leaving the sterile monochrome of the hospital. He's thankful for a lot of things right now. He's thankful that Jongin's going to be okay, most importantly. It very well could have been the opposite. Guilt still eats at him if he thinks about it for too long, so he shoves that thought back to the recesses of his mind.

Jongin's being discharged today. Helping him and taking care of him is going to be Taemin's priority for the next few weeks. He'll get to fully devote all of his time to Jongin. He already got approval from his managers to cancel his schedule for the next month. Nothing can get in the way. No interviews, no variety shows, no photo shoots. Just him and Jongin. The thought brings another smile to his lips as he pushes open the door to Jongin's room. 

His heart clenches slightly when he watches Jongin struggling to stand. "Let me help you," Taemin says, watching the tight line of Jongin's lips. Jongin stubbornly shakes his head no, but Taemin ignores him. He extends his hand and looks at him expectantly. "Come on," he insists.

Jongin reluctantly accepts it. "You don't have to," he says.

Despite that Taemin knows he hates being babied, he's not going to put up with it. "I want to," he replies, pulling him to standing. "I care too much about you, so just let me help." 

Jongin looks shy, and Taemin tries not to smile or laugh, but it's too cute. "Jonginnie, you have nothing to be shy about. Besides, you're going to have to get used to it."

The younger between them furrows his eyebrows as he adjusts his crutches. "Why's that?" he asks, straightening up.

"You're going to stay with me," Taemin answers, pursing his lips. He's just the slightest bit shy about this, too.

"Wait, what?" Jongin asks, clearly surprised. 

"You heard me. You're staying with me, and that's final," he states, looking to meet Jongin's gaze.

"Taemin, you don't have to do this," he says slowly. "I wouldn't want to intrude."

"Intrude on what? Jongin, I live alone. Besides, I worry about you too much when I'm not around. You're going to stay with me until after you've recovered from the surgery. If not for your own good, then for mine."

This does the trick. Jongin's resolve crumbles before his eyes. Taemin's main concern with leaving Jongin in the EXO dorm is that he'd try to walk without the crutches too soon. Jongin's tendency to push himself makes Taemin a little nervous. This way, Taemin can make sure he takes his time with his recovery and that he isn't overwhelmed by the rest of his band mates' concern for him. 

"Fine," Jongin agrees. A mischievous smirk begins to stretch across his face. "I'll do it on one condition."

"And what might that be?" Taemin asks bemusedly. He thinks he knows where this is going. 

"You have to kiss me," Jongin says sweetly as he moves closer to him. "Properly."

"Maybe I will," he says softly. "Or maybe you'll have to earn it." Jongin shoots him a signature puppy dog pout, and Taemin gives in with a laugh. "Fine, fine. You earned it."

He gently cradles his neck, careful to avoid his head injury, and tilts his head to the side. He closes his eyes and touches their lips together. This is their first time kissing, even chastely, and it sends butterflies to his stomach. After a few moments, Taemin grows confident and nibbles Jongin's lower lip. They deepen the kiss, and Taemin's tongue explores Jongin's mouth. A tiny moan escapes Jongin's throat, sending blood rushing to a place it shouldn't while they're in public. The younger of them is the one to pull away, now suddenly shy. Taemin chuckles and stands on his toes to kiss Jongin's forehead. He didn't expect Jongin to be the vocal type, but he finds it adorable and hot at the same time. 

"Get a room." The unexpected voice from behind startles them both. Taemin jumps and looks back to see Sehun smirking at them. "Hey," he greets, amusement glinting in his eyes. "Kyungsoo told me to drop this off for you." He gestures to Jongin's old carry on suitcase in his hands before setting it down. 

"Thanks," Jongin says, trying to hide the flush in his cheeks from their kiss. 

"Not a problem. Get better, okay? We can't do this without you," he says sincerely to Jongin, losing the smirk for a few seconds. To Taemin, he says, "You better take good care of him."

"Believe me, I will," Taemin replies. "I'll make sure he rests all day."

"Mhmm," Sehun agrees, his tone somewhat sarcastic. "You do that." He winks before he's out the door again.

Taemin begins to laugh, and Jongin joins him.

"This is a little different," the younger comments with a smile.

"It's a good different, though," Taemin adds. "I'm used to being teased for so many other things. I don't mind this one." He smiles warmly and picks up the suitcase. "After you."

Jongin begins to move forward slowly. Taemin knows how much he hates the crutches, but it's for the best. His knee needs time to heal from the arthroscopy. Crutches may hurt Jongin's pride, but ultimately, it'll get him back in top shape sooner rather than later. So Taemin does his best to ignore the frown etched into Jongin's features as they make their way to the parking garage. When they reach his car, Taemin has to help him in. The frustration is written all across Jongin's face. Taemin's heart feels like it's being squeezed.

"I'm sorry, Jongin. It must be hard for you," he says sympathetically as he takes the crutches to put in the back. Jongin doesn't comment. It goes without saying that it's hard. Jongin hasn't ever had to deal with crutches before, and no doubt the pain isn't easy, either. He can't help but wish that Jongin was never injured, and he can't help but feel like it was his fault. He tries to push the thoughts of guilt away because he knows nothing good can come of it. He does his best to keep his face neutral.

"Now you look upset," Jongin mentions as Taemin gets in the driver's seat.

Taemin takes a deep breath and looks over at Jongin. Maybe it would be better to vent off some of these feelings. Keeping them locked away hasn't been doing him any favors. "I feel guilty, Jongin. It's stupid and I know it's the last thing I should be thinking about, but... I can't help but feel like I should have been there when you heard about Tao. We had plans for that evening, and I... I cancelled them. If I'd been there, maybe you wouldn't have gone to the studio. You wouldn't have been injured..." 

Jongin sighs softly as he grabs Taemin's hand. He gently rubs circles into his hand as if he's trying to comfort him. He doesn't meet his gaze, though. "Taemin, you can't blame yourself for this. This... I'm ashamed to say it, but this was my fault," he says softly. It's clear he's been thinking about this. "I need to take better care of myself. Pushing and overworking myself as a distraction isn't healthy. I need to learn better. So don't blame yourself, okay?" Finally, his chocolate eyes meet Taemin's. 

Some of the uncertainty in his chest subsides, and he feels like he can breathe easier. It does nothing to ease the guilt, but it eases the worries he has about Jongin pushing himself too hard. The guilt will probably go away after Jongin's knee is healed completely. 

"Thank you," he murmurs. The words are genuine, but he doesn't elaborate. Jongin knows him well enough to understand what he's saying thank you for. 

"You're welcome, Taemin," Jongin replies softly. A smile stretches across his features as he leans in for another kiss. 

Taemin tilts his head to make the kiss easier. He enjoys the way Jongin's lips feel against his own. They start off slow and hesitant, getting a feel for each other. Jongin gently nips at Taemin's lower lip, making him shiver slightly. Taemin tries to keep himself from tangling his hands in Jongin's hair by wrapping him in a tight embrace. Jongin experimentally does what Taemin refrains himself from doing. The fingers tangling themselves into his locks feel wonderful against his scalp.

He leans into Jongin and pulls him closer simultaneously. Jongin eases his lips open and slides his tongue in. Taemin's kissed people before, but it's so much better with Jongin. He's only dreamt about this before. This is real. The situation feels a little dreamlike when they pull away for air. 

Jongin presses his forehead to Taemin's. "I can't believe this is happening," he murmurs, echoing Taemin's thoughts.

He's reminded that Jongin feels the same way he does. He has wanted this just as much as he has. The thought brings a smile to his lips. "Neither can I." They stay like that for a moment or two before they pull apart for Taemin to drive.

---

Jongin follows Taemin into his apartment with a smile on his face despite the fact that he's using crutches to walk. Taemin's apartment has always felt like a second home to him, but now, he can actually consider it that. Being here with Taemin like this is a dream come true.

"Are you tired?" Taemin asks, turning around to close the door behind Jongin.

He nods slowly. He feels tired almost all the time, like he's drained of energy. He was told that it's normal, given his surgery and his concussion, but that doesn't mean he has to like it.

"Then come on, let's go to bed," he says, gesturing for Jongin to take the lead to his room. As he begins moving, Taemin rests a reassuring hand on his shoulder. The touch encourages him, and a new wave of thankfulness washes over him. If he went to the dorm, he would be so overwhelmed right now. Taemin knows just how to keep him calm, and that alone means so much. 

As Jongin settles into Taemin's bed, he can't help but feel like he's home. It's a feeling he's almost forgotten living as an idol. He's always on the go, from one city to the next, so he never really feels at home. Even the dorm doesn't quite have the same feeling. But right now, he feels like he's exactly where he belongs. Something just feels so right being with Taemin. 

He scoots over in the bed and looks up at Taemin with a smile. "Join me," he says, curling his fingers around his wrist. 

Taemin smiles and climbs down into the bed. He tangles himself in Jongin's arms, and the way they're positioned, Jongin can hear his heart beat. He closes his eyes and listens for a few moments. The sound of it is so intimate and personal... and he's allowed to do this. Taemin wants him to be close like this. A warm feeling settles over his heart as he continues to listen to the soft thudding.

He never thought this was going to be possible, and now that it's a reality, he can't help wanting to be closer. "I love you," he whispers, opening his eyes to look at Taemin's. They share a look for a few moments, and Jongin knows Taemin feels the same way he does. The thought is foreign to him still. He believed so strongly that his feelings were one sided... and the thought that Taemin used to think the same makes him want to reassure him that they aren't. 

"I love you, too, Jongin," Taemin murmurs, bringing a hand to caress his cheek.

Jongin savors the touch. He knows Taemin isn't going anywhere, but the feelings are so new and so strong that he feels the need to commit them to memory. He snuggles closer to him without jostling his knee too much. With Taemin here, he feels well taken care of. It's a feeling he never thought he'd want, but now that he's experiencing it, he feels elated. Taemin taking care of him like this is exactly what he needs. 

Exhaustion begins to take over, and his eyes remain heavy and closed. Taemin's steady breathing and the gentle thudding of his heart lull him to sleep. 


It's so weird to write such fluffy stuff, after all the angst in this. Anyway, I hope you're enjoying their happy ending so far! Thanks for reading. I always love hearing your thoughts.

Oh, and before I forget, a few things. One, I posted a Taekai oneshot called "What is Love?" (Not based on the EXO song, btw.) It has just a little bit of everything. Angst, , love. It's up to you if you want to read it.

Two, I posted another TaeKai oneshot called "Something New." This one was to fill a request through my tumblr. (And it's just ~)

And yes, I am accepting requests through my tumblr! I'm currently working on a vampire/wolf TaeKai oneshot to fill another request. (My tumblr is exoel88)

Thanks so much for reading and showing support for this story. Nothing makes me happier~

(P.S. The next chapter is the Epilogue.)