Nightmares of You

Until I'm Yours Again

I’ll never forget those eyes… So sad, so dejected, so hurt.

“Where are you going?” He asked, reaching for my hand. Our fingertips brushed briefly.

I pulled my hand away from his touch angrily, “I’m leaving.”

“When will you come back?” The heartbreak in his voice was almost too much for me. My feelings weren’t supposed to get involved in this.

“I’m not coming back.” My voice cracked. It was barely a whisper. I lied to him again. Every ‘I love you’ up until now was always a lie… They were supposed to be lies. When did it become the truth? This wasn’t supposed to happen.

“B-But Kris… Please don’t leave me…” Tears slipped down his cheeks.

I had to turn my back to him, I couldn’t look at that man in the eyes, couldn’t see the damage I had caused. I’m not sure why I left. Maybe I knew that deep down I wasn’t the one for him. Maybe it hurt me to hurt him. I don’t know. This is his fault. This wasn’t part of the plan.

“Don’t make this harder than it needs to be, Minseok.”

“You said you loved me! You said I was the one! You said forever!” He wept.

“I lied.”

I gritted my teeth and stormed out, my chest heaving with sobs. When did I start crying?

A sigh passed through the lips of the tall man, blond hair parted to the side. He crossed his long legs and slumped back against the chair he had been sitting on the edge of. He was tired and these memories were giving him a headache. He stared out at the city, a blank expression painting his face as he gazed at the blackness of the night.

His plan had failed... Again. He hadn’t been expecting those awful vampire hunters to come out of nowhere yet again. Should’ve known better. He cursed the monarchy under his breath, Chanyeol and his visions mostly. A cluck of his tongue and a tap of his black shoe on the cold floor pulled him deeper into his own thoughts. He knew that he’d have to hurt him again. The thoughts made him feel weak.

His eyes focused on the reflection of himself in the window. He remembered taking a certain someone up here with him on nights like this. Peaceful, still, just the two of them. A blush threatened to tint his cheeks when he shook the thoughts from his head. Shouldn’t have gotten involved. He shifted his fingers through his hair tugging at random strands and struggled with the conflicting emotions running through his mind.

“Kris, Sir?” a voice interrupted his thoughts and he turned his head to look at the vampire standing in the doorway.

“Yes?” he asked, uninterested, still consumed by emotions he never wanted to have.

A voice in the back of his mind almost startled him, he hadn’t heard it in so long: “Leave him out of this.

Kris laughed darkly, “No.” was his simple response.

“Sir?” the man in the doorway cocked an eyebrow in confusion.

“Nothing,” Kris sneered and suppressed his laughter, “What were you saying?”

“We’re ready when you are.”

“Ah,” Kris sighed once more and stood from his chair lazily, the amused and vile smirk not once leaving his lips, “So it begins.”

***

A movement under the sheets broke the stillness of the room as morning settled in. Baekhyun fluttered his eyes open when the room started to brighten. He blinked several times to regain sight and a small smile formed when he saw Minseok in front of him. The human was still asleep. The vampire took that moment to take in Minseok’s features. How smooth his skin was, how peaceful he looked in his sleep, how soothing the sounds of his soft breathing was… He was just as beautiful as when they first met and he felt himself falling deeper in love. Baekhyun was all too thrilled to be able to have this again, to be with the one he loved again.

I’ve missed this so much.

However, as soon as that thought passed through, a frown settled on his face. His mind started to form images of Minseok’s body being covered in bruises, cuts, gashes… The vampire shivered and he reached up to brush a few strands away from Minseok’s face. His fingers ghosted over Minseok’s cheek and he let out a light sigh. The memories of Minseok's deaths disturbed him to his core and they were always because of... Because of himself.

I can’t do this.

Baekhyun couldn’t shake away the thoughts of Minseok getting injured. The blood, the screams, the tears... He couldn’t bare having to lose his lover again. He couldn't allow him anymore suffering. Another sigh escaped his lips. He didn’t know what to do. He wanted to protect Minseok, but how could he? The human was already involved so much and Baekhyun had fallen so hard again. Avoiding him didn’t work and neither did wiping his memories.

I tried nearly everything… How can I protect him from me...?

Minseok’s mindset was too strong. Baekhyun stared at the sleeping face as if he was waiting for the lips to start moving and tell him what to do. Minseok slept talked in a few of his other lives, Baekhyun wouldn’t be surprised if he did in this life. The vampire smiled slightly to himself. He always felt a bubbling feeling whenever he remembered the past. The way he would remember each lifetime, each small habit Minseok had, each way they found each other, each personality that always attracted Baekhyun. He always remembered…

Baekhyun’s eyes widened when an idea popped into his mind. He was always tied to the past, always tied to the many lives of Minseok. It was because of him that he always seemed to run into Minseok in each life. He needed to forget. If he forgets, Minseok couldn’t possibly get involved with him again.

If… If we can’t erase his memories… Then maybe…

He snapped out of his thoughts when he felt the bed start moving. Baekhyun watched as Minseok yawned and blinked away sleep, stretching like he was a cat. There was a wince and Minseok curled slightly back into himself, rubbing the bottom part of his back. The human blinked up at the vampire and put on a tired, lopsided smile.

“G’Morning.” Minseok mumbled, his voice still thick with sleep.

Baekhyun hummed in response. He was about to lean in and place a kiss on Minseok’s lips but he stopped himself and settled with a smile instead.

I have to make it easier to let go…

Minseok sat up and winced again, nearly falling back into the bed. However, Baekhyun was quick and caught the human before he could hit the pillows again. He gave the human a smile but never leaned in to kiss. Baekhyun really had to start being distant again. He needed to get to Junmyeon as soon as he could…

Minseok pouted childishly, "Where's my morning kiss, Baekhyun-ah?" He teased.

Baekhyun chuckled, "I lost it, you'll have to find it, Baozi."

"Baozi... What's that?"

"Ah, a nickname I gave you in one of your lives, I don't remember which one." He lied, he knew exactly which life and knew exactly which moment he started calling him by that name, but he wanted to forget.

"Did I ever give you a nickname?" Minseok asked cuddling into the vampire's cold embrace and shivering in delight.

"I think you called me stupid once or twice."

Minseok laughed and the sound made Baekhyun's heart flutter. Every little thing this man did was angelic in Baekhyun's eyes. He gently kissed the top of Minseok's head without thinking, the action was just so natural, so routine, so perfect. After realizing what he'd done, he stiffened a little. I can't just distance myself from him if he's always next to me.

"I've missed this so much," Minseok sighed, "I know I can't remember any of it exactly, but I know how it felt... To be held in your arms and to feel so loved by you. I'm sorry I can't remember," He frowned, "But I promise to make new memories with you, ones that we will both remember for a long time."

Baekhyun almost choked, "Okay."

"Just okay?" Minseok laughed punching his chest playfully.

Baekhyun laughed half-heartedly, "That's what I said!" He pressed a cool hand against the man's exposed back that made him shudder under the touch, "Let's get dressed, shall we?"

Minseok nodded placing a chaste kiss on his lover's nose before scrambling off the bed to gather clothing strewn about the room. Baekhyun felt himself mesmerized by the sight, he felt overwhelmed and yet completely calmed. Being with this boy... This man... It was everything to him. He swallowed the lump in his throat and decided then that, as hard as it would be, he needed to seek Junmyeon to help him... To make him forget.

***

Kyungsoo leaned against the counter of the kitchen and crossed his arms over his chest, an annoyed expression on his face as Chanyeol blabbered about something to his dismay. They were waiting on Baekhyun to join them so they could discuss what their next move would be. They both knew all too well what would happen if they didn’t try to protect him soon. Kyungsoo groaned at the supposed joke Chanyeol had just made and mentally started praying that Baekhyun would come faster.

His prayers were granted.

“Ah!” Chanyeol exclaimed with a knowing smirk stuck on his face, “How was your night?” he asked with a wink.

“Don’t.” Baekhyun muttered as he entered the kitchen with Minseok trailing behind, Yixing quickly offering him a drink that he refused. Instead, Minseok took the coffee he held out in his hands and smiled appreciatively at the butler.

“Finally,” Kyungsoo said exasperated as if he’d been waiting for this moment all of his life, well at least for the past hour anyway, “Shall we get started?”

Chanyeol hummed, “I suppose we should. Considering Kris has already made his first move.”

“Excuse me?” Baekhyun asked startled, “Kris has already made a move? What… What’s happening Chanyeol? You have to tell me. I need to know. I need to-”

“Shush,” Chanyeol said waving his hand to silence the rambling vampire, “I know what you need to do, I understand your concern, but please calm down.”

“Spill it, Yeol.”

“Aye,” he groaned, “Kris has an army.”

“He’s always had a following.”

“No, not a following, Baekhyun. A full army.”

“How?”

“The way any other vampire would build their army.” Kyungsoo said, his expression stoic.

“He turned them...” Baekhyun breathed out slowly.

“Them?” Minseok asked, feeling lost in the conversation.

Humans.” Kyungsoo deadpanned, “Regular people like me and you.”

Baekhyun clenched his fists, his red eyes flashing with rage, “That bastard.”

“You know he won’t rest until he has you by his side though, right, Baekhyun?” Chanyeol asked, his face more serious than Minseok had seen it since they’d met.

“But why Baekhyun?” Minseok blurted, his face growing red by the sudden stares now resting on him, almost as if they’d forgotten he was in the room in the past few seconds.

“He doesn’t know?” Kyungsoo asked cocking his gun.

Baekhyun shook his head, “I never had reason to tell him, we only just got back together, mind you. And would you please put that thing away?" Kyungsoo grumbled and shoved the gun back into his holster.

“Vampires all have different powers, yeah?” Chanyeol asked, sliding up by Minseok’s side, “And most of those powers have something to do with the psych - there's something about our genes becoming mutated as the virus infects us that causes this.” Minseok simply nodded, gulping as Chanyeol’s hands came down to rest on either side of his head.

“For instance, I receive visions, though I don’t always know when those moments I view will occur, they always do. I can’t change it. I can also read every thought you’ve ever had and will have and are currently having. I know my hands are large, thank you. Yes, I just read your mind. Six. Blue. Stop doing that.

“The point is, Baekhyun has one of the most developed powers,” Chanyeol’s hands finally dropped to his sides, “The ability to control.”

“Like mind control?” Minseok asked looking at Baekhyun apprehensively.

“More like absolute mental manipulation of anything that lives and breathes.” Kyungsoo mumbled, “If he really wanted to, he could take over the World.”

“That kind of power can go to your head,” Chanyeol hummed with a nod, “But Baekhyun is different.”

“Could we all stop talking about me as if I’m not in the room?” Baekhyun grumbled in annoyance, “I have not used my powers in a very long time. I don’t want to force people into anything. It’s sadistic and immoral.” his voice was full of loathing.

“Well you would know very well what that’s like.” Chanyeol huffed.

Baekhyun shot him a deathly glare that made the King shift uncomfortably and divert his eyes quickly to Kyungsoo who simply rolled his in response.

“You’re not even getting to the point here, Chanyeol.” Baekhyun sighed, “The thing is, Kris wants me. I have an ability that he’s only ever dreamed of having and he’s disappointed in me. My potential is being wasted in his eyes.”

At the mentioning of Kris’ name, Minseok’s face flushed red and he had to look away. He felt embarrassed and ashamed. He felt the need to cover up the fact that… That he and Kris…

Chanyeol gasped, “Minseok! You and Kris?”

Baekhyun slowly turned his head to Minseok, “What about you and Kris?”

“Ah…” Minseok hesitated, “He and I… We dated briefly…” the words were rushed and his face turned bright red in shame.

“That’s how you know him?” Baekhyun asked through gritted teeth, “That jerk, he knew who you were too!” On the outside Baekhyun looked as if he were enraged, and he was, rightfully so, but on the inside he felt a pang of helplessness. Kris had already been close to Minseok in this life and hadn’t laid a single finger on him yet. He wasn’t sure if he should be worried or not… He looked at Minseok’s flustered expression and felt his heart melt, a frown accompanying the feeling. The sooner I see Junmyeon, the better.

“Now, now.” Chanyeol said in his calming voice, “All secrets are out now so - oh,”

“Oh?”

“Nothing!” he said hastily, “Our first priority now is to move Minseok to a private location. Somewhere he will be safe from Kris. Kyungsoo, can I leave you in charge of that?” The man nodded, “Good. We will hold a meeting tonight to discuss new tactics. And Kyungsoo, dearest, steer clear of the midtown area tonight, I wouldn’t want you getting hurt.”

Kyungsoo glowered at him, “Chanyeol, if you know that there’s going to be a strike there then why-”

“Hush,” Chanyeol smiled, “They’re not striking, their scouting. I don’t want you going down there just in case. I wouldn’t want to lose my lover.”

“Donor.”

“Whatever.”

“Let’s get you somewhere safe then,” Kyungsoo muttered to Minseok as he walked towards the door. Chanyeol couldn’t help but to grin at the sight of the faint pink blush starting on his cheeks. Minseok didn’t noticed, but merely nodded and followed in suit, Baekhyun falling into step behind him.

Chanyeol cleared his throat, “Not so fast, Baekie. I need to talk to you.”

Baekhyun stopped dead in his tracks towards the door. He wasn’t sure if it was because he was annoyed by the use of the old nickname ‘Baekie’ or if it was because Chanyeol’s voice sounded exceptionally stern. Minseok smiled at him and whispered a small goodbye before Baekhyun closed the door and turned to look at the King who looked a bit grief-stricken.

“Why?” was all he said and Baekhyun just knew that he’d read his mind.

Damn it, Chanyeol, can’t I be allowed some privacy?”

Why?” he reiterated, practically growling through gritted teeth.

“You wouldn’t understand.”

“Try me.”

“I have to, Chanyeol. I have to remove him from the equation. I don’t want to hurt him anymore. You know damn well that every single one of his deaths are my fault. Everything is my fault. I just want him to be safe. I tried to stay away, tried to make him forget… Nothing works, Chanyeol and I don’t know what to do anymore,” tears were starting to fall down his cheeks, “If this is the only way, then let me do it. Let me protect him. They can’t hurt him and use him if I don’t know who he is. They can’t use him to get to me this way… Kris won’t be able to lay a finger on him and he’ll be safe and that’s all that matters to me right now.”

Chanyeol chewed on the inside of his cheek and stared deeply into Baekhyun’s eyes. He searched, he prodded, he examined every part of his mind. He looked hard, burning holes into Baekhyun with his intense gaze so he could get a read on his feelings, his thoughts, everything. Baekhyun let him, never backing down, not faltering once. His mind was made up, this was already decided. He would do this to save the one he loves even if it meant he had to forget… This was the only way.

“Your resolve is strong.” Chanyeol said finally, his voice softening, “I didn’t realize you would be willing to go this far.”

“He’s done it for me countless times. It’s time for me to return his sacrifices. This time I’m letting go so he doesn’t have to.”

“Doesn’t Kris already know you’re together again though?”

“It won’t take much for Kris to realize that Minseok will be obsolete in his plans when I don’t even remember his name.”

Chanyeol sighed, “If you think this is for the best…”

“I do.”

“Alright.”

“Really?” Baekhyun asked surprised.

“If this is what you want to do, I can’t stop you. I can’t make you do anything, but…” Chanyeol’s eyes flashed with a great anguish as he stared off into space.

“But what?”

Chanyeol blinked a few times and smiled at Baekhyun, the goofy grin taking over his face, “But nothing. Never mind,” he chuckled, “I hope you see this through to the end, Baekie.”

“You just had a vision, didn’t you?”

Chanyeol winked, “I don’t see and tell.” Baekhyun huffed and was about to make his leave when Chanyeol frowned, “Is he still… You know… In your head?”

“He never leaves. He’s suffocating me.”

“You are his creation, after all.”

“I know. I wish I wasn’t.”

***

Somewhere in midtown, Kris lounged on a dusty couch in an abandoned apartment building set to be demolished. Little light slipped through the cracks in the walls and he avoided them like the plague it was to his body. He rubbed at his eyes sleepily, his thoughts going wild. Minseok wouldn’t be an easy target now, not with Baekhyun back in the picture. He felt that it was going to be harder this time, capturing Minseok and using him as bait. However, he could also feel deep down that Baekhyun was going to put up a much harder fight and that thought alone enthralled him.

Oh, Baekhyun,’ he chuckled, ‘It’s been no fun without you.’

Silence.

Not going to respond now, hm?

Silence still.

Alright, I’ll play your game a little more. You can’t deny me for long though, we are connected whether you like it or not.

Get the Hell out of my mind, Kris.’

There he is! The man of the hour!

Stop it.’

A wicked grin curled onto Kris’ lips, ‘I’ll stop when you join me.

Never.

Suit yourself, my love.

You have no right to call me that.

I’m sorry, I keep forgetting that term is reserved for someone else now.

More silence.

You ruined my plan, you know, with your emotions. I fell in love with him the way you did.

Don’t touch him anymore.’ The voice hissed.

Wouldn’t dream of it.

Kris laughed to himself and closed his eyes, letting his mind drift away from the other man’s. He wondered what life would be like now if he’d never sunk his teeth into the neck of the little boy who longed for death, the one whom he changed despite the weak and pathetic protests. The one who became his lover, the one who fled when he discovered what his true purpose was on this earth, the one who wouldn’t allow himself to be used anymore. He wondered what it would be like without his greatest opponent - Byun Baekhyun.


Tasha: First off, welcome back Silver!!! ^^ Ahem, so this chapter was really hard to write, because what are ideas? It took a lot of planning and writing and re-writing of this chapter so we could transition into our next idea... Ah it seems so rushed, but I hope you enjoy it anyway! Thank you so much for all of your patience <3 I can't wait to hear from you guys! xo

Silver: Guess who's back! Thank you for taking care of Tasha unnie while I was away and thank you for all the amazing support! We hope you enjoyed the chapter and we'll try to update as soon as possible! You guys are great! :-)