Dreams of You

Until I'm Yours Again

Please note: This is a double update! If you have't already read chapter 12, you might want to do that first!


25 years later...
August 20, 2015

The glass of dark buildings downtown reflected streetlights and neon signs of the many bars lining the streets. A ghostly pale man with jet black hair mussed and styled to fit the club scene stalked the pavement leading him downtown. People were staring at him, he already knew this. They always watched him and so he dressed the part. Tight, black jeans and a well-fitted, white, v-neck shirt clung to his body beneath a smooth grey blazer. He caught a glimpse of himself in the reflection of one of the windows as he walked down the streets. White fangs glistened in the light and bright red eyes pierced his own appearance. He was so tired of this life, but he had a promise to keep.

There was a buzz coming from somewhere that startled him when he remembered that he had a cellphone tucked away somewhere in one of his pockets. Bloody contraptions, he doesn't think he will ever get used to them. His hand slipped into his pocket and produced the small, black cell as he quickly swiped his finger over the screen to answer.

“Hello?”

“I heard you were back in town,” the voice chuckled and the deep laugh is all too familiar to him.

A smile tugged on the corners of his lips as he brushed back his hair while staring at his own reflection, “Heard or saw?”

He could almost see the smirk from the other end of the receiver, “I don’t see and tell.” there was a hearty chuckle, “When are you coming to visit me then, hmm? We’re dying to see you.”

“I’ll be there shortly.”

“I’d better see you soon, Byun Baekhyun.”

Baekhyun sighed deeply, a sad smile curving on his lips. His heart felt suddenly heavy with regret and remorse for all the things he’d said and done. He hadn’t been here in years and the only thing that was on his mind since his return from Europe was him. Tears glistened in his eyes at the thought of his lost love, hands clenched into fists as if to stop himself from crying out the pain he had held in for all these years.

***

There was a knock on the door that startled Yixing who was busy dusting a bookshelf. Though he had adapted to the curious ways of the vampire King by now, he’d still been unable to shake the restlessness that came with the job. He straightened his shirt and fixed his cuffs carefully before pulling open the door, bowing deeply to greet the stranger at the door. When his eyes met with those of the guest’s, he immediately dropped the duster and threw his arms around the man’s neck.

“What are you doing here?” Yixing exclaimed, “We haven’t seen you since - ah.” he cleared his throat and dropped his arms to his sides, “It doesn’t matter. You’re here now! What brings you back?”

Baekhyun chuckled and opened his mouth to respond, but before he could, a deep voice broken the silence between his thoughts and his reply. Yixing and Baekhyun both turned their eyes to Chanyeol who stood at the top of the stairs, a mildly gloomy Kyungsoo off to the side. Baekhyun smiled warmly and Chanyeol grinned obnoxiously in return.

“Now, Yixing,” he laughed, “Shall we harrass our guest at the door or invite him in?”

Yixing blushed and moved aside to let the vampire enter the house.

“It’s been too long, Baekhyun,” Chanyeol smiled as he wrapped an arm around the shorter, “We’ve all missed you. Come up to my office and we’ll talk?”

Baekhyun nodded and followed him hastily after turning to say to Yixing, “I’ll tell you all about my trip once the giant lets me go free!” There was a soft giggle as a response.

Chanyeol stretched out behind his desk, propping his long legs upon the tabletop and crossing them over at the ankles. He reclined back, arms stretching behind his head, hands linked at the back of his neck as he settled himself. Baekhyun snorted quietly at the typical actions and sat across from him, taking comfort in the large chairs. The office hadn’t changed even a little bit.

“Are you ever going to get yourself a decorator? This place is lost in the 90’s.” Baekhyun chuckled.

Chanyeol huffed, “I like this decor, alright? Why change it if isn’t broken anyway? Everything is in proper condition.”

“If you say so…” Baekhyun rolled his eyes, “Nothing seems to have changed aside from your hair. What’s with this silver nonsense?”

“Excuse you,” Chanyeol scoffed, “Kyungsoo happens to like it.”

Baekhyun could only laugh, “How are Junmyeon and Jongdae?”

Chanyeol smirked, “They’re still annoyingly in love. Can’t keep them off of each other, to be honest. It’s ridiculous. I don’t think they’ll ever come out of their honeymoon stage.”

Baekhyun laughed again, louder this time, wiping at fake tears, “How are you and Kyungsoo then? Things relatively well? He looked pretty gloomy when I got here.”

“He’s just tired. I kept him up all night long, if you know what I mean,” Chanyeol wriggled his eyebrows and winked over-dramatically.

“Oh God, ew. Too much information, Yeol.”

“Don’t be jealous, Baek.”

He laughed, only half-heartedly, “Of course not. Don’t be disgusting.”

Chanyeol snickered before he sat up suddenly, “I would like to reiterate Yixing’s question from earlier though. What are you doing back here? I thought you swore this place off.”

Baekhyun smiled to himself wistfully and sighed heavily, “I just… I miss him.”

Chanyeol hummed, “I’m sorry.”

He shook his head in response, “It’s not your fault. I’m the one who killed him, Chanyeol. I just wish I’d had my time back... I don’t know what I’d have done differently, but I’d have done it.”

“You can’t escape your fate,” Chanyeol laughed quietly, “As much as we’d all like to. Things are the way they’re supposed to be right now. There’s no changing that.”

“I know, but-”

“There’s nothing you could do then that would have affected the now. I’m sorry you lost him… I know what he meant to you. He’s your only reason for breathing.”

“These last twenty-five years have been suffocating,” Baekhyun choked on the tears that were now threatening to fall once again, “I don’t know what to do with myself without him.”

He’d spent so many years just travelling Europe. He’d done everything he could to escape the thoughts of him, but nothing helped. He picked up piano and mastered pieces that took others years of practice. He played in orchestras that held concertos in countries and cities all across the continent. Every piece of music he studied, he poured his soul into. Thoughts of him always in the back of his mind even as he would glide his fingertips across the ivory and ebony.

He moved from music into art after nearly ten years and quickly regretted the decision. He barely stuck with it for two years before discovering that it was nearly impossible for him to get the hang of a paintbrush. It didn’t help that every painting was always of him either. After that, he took to studying and reading. Trying to lose himself in books and history, but he found images of him from old texts and articles. Eventually, he studied about every book in the British Library.

Those hobbies occupied him up until last week when he felt a longing to come home. He bought a plane ticket and arrived shortly thereafter. He rented an apartment, which shocked the landlord after he’d seen how wealthy the man was, and then found himself a small job at a local university. He took up a position on a marking board for English exams and was paid a hefty sum for the small amount of work. He didn’t mind it.

All that time spent, searching for an escape from him. There was no way out of it. He belonged to him and vice versa. Their hearts were connected even across the void. Nothing would change the fact that Baekhyun was deeply in love with him. He was trapped, but he didn’t mind it. After a while, he felt himself smiling at the memories, despite the pain of missing him. He decided that he would keep his promise and wait.

“I wish I could say that you’ll find him again, but-”

“Don’t say that, Chanyeol. Please, don’t say that. I promised him to make him mine again. I promised to find him in his next life. And I’ll keep promising it until the end of time.”

“That’s just it, Baekhyun,” Chanyeol said, chewing on his bottom lip nervously, “souls don’t always return. Sometimes, their journey on this earth comes to an end and we just have to accept that.”

“I can’t.”

“As your best friend, I’m going to give this to you straight. His soul might be done on this earth and he may never come back. You might not see him ever again. I’m not telling you to stop loving him, but I’m suggesting that you stop putting your hopes up. It’s already been twenty-five years since his death and I’ve seen no signs of him… Kim Minseok might have been the end.”

The words were laced with only honesty and concern, Baekhyun knew that, but it still hurt. Truth was, Baekhyun hadn’t found any signs of his past lover either. Chanyeol was correct, he may never return… That meant the only thing he had left to live for was… Nothing. He shuddered at the thought and felt himself sinking into the chair, hoping that the cushions might swallow him whole.

“I can’t stop holding onto him… If that’s the only thing that keeps me going then… I’ll take it. I promised him, Chanyeol. I have to find him again.”

Chanyeol wasn’t paying attention. His eyes were trained on Baekhyun’s, but his focus was not there. His mind hazed over with a vision that made a grin break out onto his face.

“Another vision?” Baekhyun groaned, “What an inconvenient time to have one. With that grin, I’d say it’s got something to do with you and Kyungsoo later on tonight-”

“Can you do me a favour?” the taller vampire cut off the latter’s ramblings completely, he sounded as if he were lost in a dream.

“What?” Baekhyun asked, taken aback by the outburst.

“Can you do me a favour?” He asked, leaning back in his chair, this time his voice was more clear.

“I guess so?”

“Perfect! Can you run to the nearest coffee shop, it’s called The Jumping Bean, and pick up a latte for me?”

Baekhyun gave Chanyeol a puzzled look, “You don’t drink coffee.”

“No, but our guest does.”

“What guest? Me? I don’t drink coffee either.”

Chanyeol chuckled, “I know that. I meant our other guest. He isn’t here yet, but when he does arrive, I’d like for him to enjoy a coffee.”

Baekhyun shrugged, “Alright.”

“Thank you, Baekie. Take your time!”

***

The streets glistened from a recent spill of rain that came and went rather quickly. A young man huffed, pulling his jacket from down over his head and back onto his shoulders. His brown hair was messy and unkempt, definitely from more than just his hood being up. He looked as if he never knew what sleep was and as though his fingers had passed through the strands of his hair from stress more times than he could count. He looked both ways before taking short strides across the street and into a corner coffee shop.

A little bell above his head jingled and signalled his entrance to the shop. The small store was relatively quiet, no one in sight except for the two men behind the counter and the couple snuggled in the corner booth. The young man blinked sleepily. He had a paper due in the morning for the end of his summer semester program and he’d only just started the editing process.

“You’re out late,” one of the men, a vampire and the taller of the two, behind the counter noted nodding his head in the direction of the young man, “What brings you here at nearly 1 am?”

The young man quirked an eyebrow, “University final papers,” he looked up at the illuminated board above the counter and squinted into the dim lighting trying to read the menu.

“The usual?” the other man, also a vampire, offered with a bright smile.

“Usual?” The young man scrunched up his face in confusion, “This is my first time in this shop…”

The man behind the counter coughed awkwardly, “Sorry!” he said quickly, covering up his mouth, “You just look like someone I know. Though he never quite had a piercing like that,”

“Ah,” the man mumbled, reaching up to tug at the earring dangling from his left ear, “I’ll take a latte.”

“Just a moment there,” the man grinned and turned to the other man who was making a mess with the coffee beans. The taller shrugged in response to the glare he received.

A hushed silence filled the room, besides the humming of the coffee machine, but the young man could just barely make out the chatterings of the couple in the booth. He peered over his shoulder and caught a glimpse of their hands on the table, fingers linked and both wearing matching black bands. One man had blonde hair, pushed back, and wore a perfect suit. His style was impeccable. It took a moment for the young man to finally recognize him.

“You’re Kim Junmyeon!” he exclaimed, walking across the room, “You own one of the biggest publishing companies in the country! What are you doing here?”

“I, uh,” Junmyeon stuttered, jaw dropped when he turned his head towards the voice, “My husband insisted we come here tonight.”

The other man gaped, “I’m friends with the bartender. Ah, barista. The barista. I’m friends with the barista,” he managed to say, pointing at the taller man behind the counter who was grumbling while sweeping.

The young man looked behind himself and gave a firm nod, “I’ve always dreamed of working for you in your firm,” he smiled and reached his hand out to give a strong shake, “Please keep a spot open for me when I’ve completed university. I promise I could be a valuable asset to your company in the future.”

Junmyeon grinned and chuckled to himself, “I’ll keep my eyes out for you, you can guarantee it.”

Before the young man could say his name, he was interrupted by the shouting of the shorter barista, “Latte!”

“Coming!” the young man rushed towards the counter and grabbed his coffee taking a quick sip. His eyes widened in surprise, “This coffee…”

“Is something the matter?” the man asked worriedly.

“It’s the best coffee I’ve ever had.”

He grinned, “Then I hope you come again.”

“I will,” he laughed, “I definitely will. Thanks for this.” He took another sip before his eyes widen in realization. “I never paid, how much do I owe you?”

“It’s on the house,” the man chuckled, wiping down the counter with the towel previously draped over his shoulder, “Since you’re working so hard on your paper.” he said with a wink.

***

Baekhyun grumbled as he turned down the street, catching a glimpse of the sign to the coffee shop. It had suddenly downpoured on his way to get this damned coffee and it wasn’t even nearby as Chanyeol had said. He’d seen three other coffee shops on his way to this one, but the taller vampire was very stern when he said that the coffee had better have The Jumping Bean’s logo on the side of the cup.

His hand rested on the handle and he tugged hard, the bell jingle noisily as he did so. He barely made it inside when he felt a small frame bumping into his chest. He looked down and felt his breath hitch at the sight.

“I’m so sorry!” the young man squeaked, “I didn’t get any coffee on your clothes, did I, Sir?”

Baekhyun fell into silence. He opened his mouth to speak, but he couldn’t form any proper words. Fingers twitched anxiously, nervously, as he resisted the urge to reach out and wrap his arms around the boy before him. His muscles tensed and he could feel the tears pricking in the backs of his eyes. This is why Chanyeol sent me, the bastard

“Minseok,” Baekhyun breathed, the only sound that would come out of his mouth.

The boy looked up into the red eyes, “Pardon? How do you know my name?”

“I…” Baekhyun’s voice trembled and he had to sink his teeth into his bottom lip to keep himself from saying anything more and from crying.

“Do I know you?”

Baekhyun almost choked, “No, but I know you.”

The familiar sentence left his lips before he could stop it. He wanted to say something else. Anything else. But he couldn’t. He felt an uneasy feeling tighten in the pits of his stomach and across his chest as his heart hammered just below. Every part of him ached and yearned to touch the boy. To make sure this was real. To make sure this wasn’t another dream.

“Well, if you’ll excuse me, Sir…”

Minseok pushed past the strange man, his words still ringing in his ears.

Do I know you?
No, but I know you.

The familiarity of them washed over him. An inexplicable peacefulness. There was something calming about that vampire’s voice… Something comforting about his face… It bothered him that he couldn’t place the vampire. A nagging feeling, more nagging than that of his urgency to finish his paper, consumed him. He knew him from somewhere… Deep down, he knew…

Minseok stopped dead in his tracks.

Byun…?

Byun Baekhyun...?

Minseok his heels and watched the vampire’s retreating back, “Baekhyun!” he screamed, the name tearing from his throat with heavy need and desperation. His voice carried over to the man, forcing him to stop in his tracks.

A small smile fluttered onto Baekhyun’s lips as he glanced over his shoulder, breaking out into a grin at the sight of Minseok in tears and shock sparkling in his eyes,  “Do I know you?”

FIN.


Tasha: ... We made it. WOW. We finally made it to the end. And I'm just so speechless right now... I can't stop crying, help.

Silver: It's done! :-) *wiggles arms to the next chapter because most of the words I want to say is over yonder* hahaha~