Mirror

Running Gajok

           Traffic's moving slow. Every driver trying to avoid the jam. Even the passengers on the bus are getting impatient, including Gary and Haha.

                    “How many vehicles are there on the road?" Gary asked, looking through the window.

           Haha ignored his friend, plugging in a pair of earphone into his ears, putting his MP3 player into shuffle mode. 

           Irritated that he was ignored, Gary gave a 'why' glare to his friend. He thought about pulling out one of the earphone and shout something into his ear, but his attention were stolen away when he saw the black coloured music player.

          “Nice MP3! And it looks new. I thought they're sold out years ago. Of course, your mother's capable on buying one anytime." Gary continued talking on how lucky Haha is, even though he knew he can't hear him.

           One thing that he doesn't know was Haha has been listening to every word his friend said. He's not the type that would put the volume into full blast. He stared at the MP3 player. His mother didn't bought it. He lost his a few years ago.

        “Oh yeah, Haha. Jong Kook hyung and I won't be around for the next 2 days."

           “Say what?!" 

---

          “What do you mean you have to go to Ilsan tomorrow?" Jae Suk was shocked with Suk Jin's statement that he almost dropped his cup of cola.

          “Sorry, Sukkie. Family matter. But don't worry, I'll be back the day after tomorrow." Suk Jin replied, closing the refrigerator door shut.

           Ji Hyo entered the kitchen, taking out a bottle of strawberry milk from the fridge and say,

          “Oppa, Kwang Soo and I won't be around for at least two days. We were selected for a field trip. I heard that Jong Kook oppa and Gary oppa were selected too. Just saying."

          After telling them the news, Ji Hyo skipped away with her beverage in hand. Jae Suk started doing a bit of math and was suprised with the result.

          “That means..."

---

          “Why are we the only one here?" Haha asked, annoyed with the current situation.

          The house is now empty, with everyone out for a few days, leaving two behind. Silence, except for the sound transmitted from the TV.

          “How would I know. What do you think I am?" Jae Suk replied, hugging the sofa's cushion tight. Without him realising that Haha was doing the same thing, pouting and all.

          “So..." their voice chorused together,

          “You first..." again,

          “No, you..." and again,

          “Stop copying me! Yah!" and again.

           "Jinx!"

           Feeling irritated, Haha inserted the earphones, turned the volume of his MP3 to its maximum, get off the sofa and went straight to his room.

          After closing the door shut, he quickly took out the earphones and threw the MP3 player onto his bed. He rubbed his ears that was injured due to the sudden loud reggae music, letting himself fell onto the comfy mattress.

         “Sudden loud music is not good, Roro! Stop hurting your ear." he said to himself. That's when he realized his mistake.

         “Did I just, took out the music player, in front of him? He didn't noticed, right? I mean, I was hugging a cushion." he questioned himself.

           He has yet to tell Jae Suk that he's currently using the music player that he gave. Neither did he say thanks. The funny thing was, it has been a month since he received it from Jong Kook.

          “I hope he still hasn't notice."

---

          Current time, 2345. Haha was still not sleeping. He kept hearing weird things from outside the window. Plus, the only person on the second floor was only him. Hair were standing. Heartbeat getting louder. Only waiting for the right time to explode.

          “I can't sleep with all these. I'm going to sleep in the living hall. If Jae Suk ask, I'll just say that, I'm watching a movie marathon. Yes, that's it!”

          He quickly got off the bed, switched off all the lights and heater, and exited the room. He slowly crept downstairs, hoping that he won't get caught.

            “Dong Hoon?"

          Unfortunately, he was caught once he reached the last step. Jae Suk was just in front of him, with a bottle of mineral water in hand.  Getting caught was not in plan. He quickly acted cool, figuring out what excuse to use.

          “Aigo ya... hyung. Getting thirsty in midnight? What a coincidence, I felt the same. But weird, I don't feel thirsty now.”

          The fourth year student just look at him with a poker face. “Haha, you want to sleep in front of the television, right?" he guessed.

          “What? No, I'm not. I mean...” Haha said, trying to cover the truth.

          Jae Suk shook his head before walking past him until...

         Click!         

          Total darkness attack! Haha yelled, shocked. Jae Suk quickly enable a torchlight from his phone.           

          “Weird. I thought this house uses solar energy...” Jae Suk said, heading toward the main light box. Feeling terrified, and because he left his phone upstairs, he followed him from behind.

           “Maybe one of the switch got 'kicked'?”

           “Too bad I'm not good with electricity. We have to wait for Suk Jin hyung. For now, let's sleep at the living room.”

          Haha don't really know what to say. He wants to sleep at the living room. That's the main reason he went there. But in th dark?

          “What? You need a night light to sleep? Just, pull the curtains and let the moon light to enter, easy." Jae Suk said, walking to the living hall.

          “Who says I sleep with night light? And besides, I'm sleeping on the longest sofa!"

           Even though he doesn't like it, Jae Suk gave up and sleep on the two-person sofa.

           Like it or not, Haha still needs to sleep, even in the dark.

         A minute passed. Silence evaded the hall. None of them said a word.

          “Hyung...” he called. However, Jae Suk didn't answer.

          He's ignoring me? Or, he's already asleep? Boy, he sleeps fast...

         “Sorry dear, Jae Suk couldn't make it again today..."

        Words were playing in his head. He wasn't even aware with the current time. He lets his imagination run wild.

          “If you're still mad about what happened, I'm sorry..." Jae Suk suddenly sounded. This caught Haha off guard.

         He's apologizing, idiot. For what? Haha, wake up! Remember that you're only third best! He's human too. He has his right.

          “No hyung... Sorry..."

========================================

          “Sorry for your lost, nae dongsaeng." Jong Kook calmed me down. I lost my father at the age of 10, an age that no kid would enjoy. I mean, who would?

          “It's already a month but I still missed him. Hyung!" I wailed, sobbing on his shoulder.

            He only let me drenched his shirt. He rubbed my back, didn't dare to say another word.

           “You know, crying won't bring him back. Well, at least that's what my friend told me." a new voice said, carrying a box of cookies. He held it out, asking whether we would like some.

           I took a few pieces before lifting my head. “Thank you... Jae Suk hyung?" I was suprised with the voice owner. He smiled, taking the box back and left us alone.

           “Y-Yoo Jae Suk ssi!" I quickly called. Luckily, he stopped. I quickly wiped off the excess tears.

          “What? You want more?" he said.

          “No, it's just that, you still haven't returned my MP3 player yet."

          “Oh, about that..." he flustered.

           “You know, you never attended one of my play date. Mind coming over this weekend? You can return it there."

           He thought for a while before answering with a faint smile. He nodded slowly and left us quickly.

---

           “Happy birthday, Dong Hoon!" a common speech that was heard every year. I like throwing birthday party. Not for the gifts or to tell it's my special day, but just to hang out with my friends.

          “Thanks, chingu, hyungnim, everyone!"

          “Anyone for cake?" my mom would made a special cake, secret recipe that only my family know. And it always get my friends to beg for more.

          The candle has been placed, everyone holding their plate, but someone's missing. 

          “Ma, where's Jae Suk hyung?" 

          She doesn't answered. Which was enough for me to understand. I let out a sigh.

          “Don't worry, Dong Hoon ah. You still have me." Jong Kook said, wrapping his arm around my shoulder.

          “He never attended one of my party. Plus, he haven't returned my MP3 yet. He must've been hanging out with that farmer again..."

           “Farmer? What farmer?"

            “Don't you know? He has another friend back home."

           “Well, he's human too. It's normal for someone to have more than one friend. Forget about that and blow the candles, now. I'm hungry."

---

           “What, what do you mean you dropped it in the river?!" I asked, furious.

          “I'm s-sorry. We fell, and he, and I, and then..."

          “Why not throw it to the land first?" I said, not thinking straight.

          “But... Life is more important than gadgets. Besides, none of us can swim well."  

           “That MP3 was the last of its kind. Is that farmer of yours are more important"

========================================

             “Don't take life for granted. Especially if it's your own friend. Gadget can be replaced with better one. Life, I don't think so..." Jae Suk said. 

           Haha looked at the ceiling, hugging himself. “I should not have snapped that day. Because of that, our friendship went hanging at the edge of a cliff."

           “FYI, the farmer that you kept teasing, it was Suk Jin hyung. Hearing that word from you, I was scared to introduce him to you and Jong Kook. Afraid with how you'll see me. But I was suprised that you befriended an orphan the year after."

           “He's more than just an orphan..." Haha answered softly.

           Jae Suk only grinned, taking off his glasses and close his eyes shut. “Same goes with the farmer."

           They were about to shut their eyes, when suddenly,

Screech... Pang!

           Both their eyes were wide open, trying to guess what was that noise.

          “Hyung, what was that?"

           Jae Suk shook his head as he get up, putting on his glasses. The lights were suddenly switched on.

             “You're, not sleeping yet?" a voice greet them at the living hall. Haha released a sigh of relief.

            “Suk Jin hyung? You said you'll be back in the morning." Jae Suk asked, suprised seeing someone who arrived earlier than promise.

           “Something happened..." he replied, taking something out of the bag. He then gave two small plastic packages to them as he sat on a single sofa.

         “Is that, cream puffs?" Haha asked as he smelled something.

         “Leftovers... You can have it. Now if you excuse me, I could really use some rest now. I hope you don't mind me sleeping here.” he replied, waving his hand.

         “Thanks hyung! I could really use a midnight snack!” Jae Suk said, teared off the plastic.

           Haha did the same thing, tearing the plastic, taking out the creamy bread and ate it like he never ate.

         “Funny... I thought I saw a reflection here...” Suk Jin joked with one eye open.

          Haha and Jae Suk looked at each other, confused. They looked at each other, scanning for what the eldest meant. Until Suk Jin told them that the way they enjoyed the food were almost similar. Not to mention the stains on their cheeks.

          “No we're not!” and once again, they said the same thing on the same time.

         “Stop copying me!” again,

         “I said stop!” and again,

          “Jinx!” and again. But this time, instead of yelling at each other, they just laughed. 

          Time passes and none of them were sleeping. Luckily, the weekend arrived.


Author's note:: Is this even qualified? oh well...

p/s:: I have a good news and a bad news. 

Bad news-> my mom might confiscated my phone... I mean, I have a big exam this year and its trial is just next month.(you had no idea how bad I am right now, being stuck in a class they say you don't belong)

Good news-> I'll keep on writing, don't worry. If I managed to find myself a computer, etc and an good internet connection, I'll update it ASAP and hopefully, more than one chapter.

The comment box is always open for opinions.

Thank you and Sorry...