Waiting

Running Gajok

          Kwang Soo stared at the screen of his laptop. The clock has struck midnight, the lights are off, but the screen illuminated the dark. Although he was frequently warned not to stare at a bright screen; especially in the dark, he still stubbornly stared at the rectangle screen, stubbornly fighting his heavy eyelids.

          “Jong Ki ah… I’m waiting…”

---

           Couldn’t fight the sleepy feeling inside, Kwang Soo give in to a big yawn. He quickly covered his mouth his right hand.

          “Kwang Soo ah, did you stay up late again?” Ji Hyo asked, taping his long arm with the edge of her pen. Luckily, they were just at their lawn, in the gazebo at the edge of the garden.

          “How did you know?” Kwang Soo asked an obvious question. He then let out another yawn.

          “You do know that this homework is due tomorrow and I regret not finishing this yesterday.” Ji Hyo reminded, hitting her dondsaeng’s arm with her pen. Kwang Soo only nodded, drinking his milk and went back to their homework. But he still felt sleepy that he’s not sure if he could stay up.

           That is until some loud music suddenly woke him up. It turned that it belongs to Jong Kook’s MP3, who was just standing in front of them.

           “Looks like someone need help on staying up. Let me help you with that.” Jong Kook said, pinching the youngest boy’s arm throughout the morning. It was painful enough to keep him awake until he’s done.

          “Okay, that’s enough hyung. I’m done here!” he said, slapping the big hand away. Even Ji Hyo has finished her homework thanks to Jong Kook’s help on solving some problem.

          “Thanks oppa! Oh, and by the way, can I ask you something?” Ji Hyo asked. Jong Kook only nodded, letting her to talk away.

          “If you excused me, I would like to go to my room now.” Said Kwang Soo as he put his stationery into his pencil case and piled his files. He carefully carried them up and slowly making his way into the house.

            The first thing he saw upon entering the living room was the music duo jamming on a keyboard. It was really loud and out of tune, Kwang Soo quickly left, but something his attraction when he reached the staircase. He could smell something from the kitchen. He slowly crept his way to the kitchen.

           There, he caught the broadcast duo, covered in flour and counter was a mess. He saw a mixing bowl, some bags, a tray and weight scale. They suddenly argued about something. But the thing that impressed him was that they were still laughing despite the argument.

           “What… What are you two doing?” he asked out of curiosity.

          “We are… baking something. Don’t worry; we’ll clean it up soon.” Jae Suk replied, wiping his face with a piece of cloth. He then wiped the flour off Suk Jin, who was busy mixing something.

          “Then… What’s the argument about?”

           “We’re just, deciding on what chips to use. Jae Suk wants chocolate chips while I want white chocolates. Decision, decisions…” Suk Jin reply, still stirring the mixture.

                   Kwang Soo only nodded before excusing himself to his room. Upon reaching his room, he put his files and stationery case on the table and took out his laptop. He quickly switched it on and sat comfortably on his chair. Logging in to his e-mail account, he clicked on the refresh button.

          There were some new mails, but not from someone he’s expecting. He then checked on the chat area, seeing who’s online. The person he’s looking for was still offline.

         “Jong Ki ah… You’ve been offline for 6 months by now…” Kwang Soo mumbled. He then moved the mouse over the ‘compose a new mail button’ and clicked it without hesitating. His fingers dance on the keyboard as he typed the mail. Clicking on the right contact, his mail was already sent less than a minute.

          “Please reply my mail… I missed you…” Kwang Soo begged as he stared at the screen. 10 minutes passed and nothing happened. He put on his headphone and placed his head on the table. He then tapped on the table, hoping that it would kill time until he reply.

I’m still waiting…

=========================================================

           “What do you mean you have to go London?” I asked to my one and only friend, Song Jong Ki. We’ve been friends for a long time. And just like me, he also skipped grade. Are clever or not?

           “I’m so sorry, Gilin. My father just got promoted and my mother already signed me up at a school for me there.” He answered.

            I looked at him with a pitiful look. “You can’t leave me alone here. You’ve promised that we’ll become schoolmates. Not just schoolmates, we even promised each other that we’ll become roommates and classmates together.” I complained.

          “Well, I’m disappointed too, you know? But don’t worry, I’m sure you’ll be fine.” He said.

           “I know I won’t…” I said, crossing my arms.

          Jong Ki held my arm and said, “You’ll be fine. If you’re fine, then I’ll be fine. Besides, don’t worry. Let’s send e-mail to each other.” He then suddenly chuckled. “You… do know how to send an e-mail, right?”

         I looked at him mischievously. “I thought I’m the one who taught you how to use an e-mail, right?”

        That was the last time I saw him. I couldn’t send him off at the airport due to an entrance exam, but he did send me a card and wished me luck.

          “Don’t worry Jong Ki. You don’t have to worry about a thing over here.” That’s what I said to myself a day before school begins. The real nightmare starts the following day.

           I was late so I’m the last one to sign in, I stayed in a room for only one person which I felt lonely and I almost lost my student card. All the students in my class were shocked upon seeing me and my height.

         I had a hard time adapting to the surrounding. The cafeteria serves nuts that I’m allergic to, I kept moving to the table at the back of the class so that I won’t disturb the other students and I…

=========================================================

You’ve got a mail! You’ve got a mail!

          Kwang Soo slowly lifted his head and look on the dim screen. The mail on the top list attracted his attention most.

Song Jong Ki replied your mail.

          Without hesitating, he quickly scrolled the pointer to the icon and clicked it.

-----

Dear Lee Kwang Soo,

Sorry that I haven’t replied to your last… 1000 mail. I mean, seriously… How do you have time to write all that? So, I only read the newest one. Why? Because I can. -  (0_0) - Just kidding.

So, based from your new 5 mails you sent me (okay, I actually read ten and I got tired so I’m just going to reply and continue later) seems like your life over there is interesting. Unlike here, everything is just too strict.

You made 6 new housemates huh? Interesting. Based on the details you send, I hope you don’t mind if I gave my comment here. (You can either tell them or remain quiet. But I recommend you to tell them because I think this is a little to mean…)

A hyung with a big nose? Kwang Soo ah, you’re mean…

A hyung with crooked teeth? That’s way more mean…

A muscle packed one? Can I meet him?

Short? Kwang Soo ah, you’re a giraffe. Everyone’s short to you… (Could you send me his picture? XD)

Kwang Soo ah… That’s even meaner than the first two…

A nona that always hit you? Interesting… Did you do something wrong in the first place? XP

But still, they’re still your housemates. And they sound interesting. I bet you never live in boredom. The students around here are little too… cold, if you know what I meant…

Would you look at the time? (Well, the time around here is 18 hours late than Korea) I need to sleep before my father finds out. I promise that I’ll take revenge for the 1000 e-mails you’ve send to me. Prepare Yourself! XD

Yours Truly,

Song Jong Ki

-----

        Kwang Soo only smiled while reading the mail he received. He then looked at his clock, trying to guess the time over there. He noticed that Jong Ki went offline 2 seconds ago.  Which was a bummer since that he thought about chatting with for a few hours first, but he understands if he need some sleep.

        Kwang Soo slowly folded the laptop to close it. He then remembered about Jong Ki’s promise on flooding his feed with tons of mails. Instead of feeling frustrated, Kwang Soo was more to expecting that coming.

I'll be waiting…

         


Author’s note:: Finally… Time for the pairing chapter! Which, probably be too long, so I’ll just post it in parts. (Of course… After my big and frustrating exam…)