Ignorance

Running Gajok

Jong Kook has been lying on his bed for a whole day. Not really 'whole day´, but he's been in his room for a while, gazing at the ceiling. The music sheets on his bed started to flew off due to the gentle wind coming from his window, yet he left it alone.          

“Yoo Jae Suk," he mumbled softly, putting his hands under his head to act as a pillow. He still remembers the bitter look Jae Suk gave him when he exited the eldest's room two days ago. Before he could say anything, Jae Suk already descended the stairs, exiting the house in a rush. “He must have overheard what we talked about. Or maybe something happened earlier..."            

It would be an honour if you're close to the CEO's son.          

 “I doubt that very much..." 

---          

 “Hyung! Over here!" Haha called his favourite sunbae from his table at the cafeteria, hoping that he'll joined him for brunch. Without thinking twice, Jong Kook headed straight to the table as the cafeteria was almost packed with students.         

  “My dongsaeng! Where's Gary?" he said after placing his bag on a chair. He then took another chair and sat on it, facing Haha.           

“He's still up to something, I guess. Don't you want to get something to eat?"          

 “Nope. I brought my own lunch." Jong Kook replied, taking out a small container from his bag. He carefully opened the lid containing chicken porridge, letting the warm steam escaped. He then asked whether Haha would like some.           

Haha politely reject, taking out a sandwich from a plastic that he bought earlier.          

 “Excuse me. Are you, Kim Jong Kook and Ha Dong Hon?" a girl suddenly interrupted their meal. Both of them nodded, facing her.            

“Then you must know who's Yoo Jae Suk, right? My name's Suili and I... I... Can you give this to him?" said the girl named Suili, holding out a small white box.           

Haha showed a sign of rejection. Jong Kook on the other hand, spontaneously took it, promising that he'll pass it to him.           

Suili thanked him, bow and quickly left the duo alone.

          “Yah, why do you accept her request? You could just let her find him herself?" Haha said in an uneasy tone. He took another bite from his bread, looking at the package.          

 “What's wrong with helping her out? This dude live under the same roof as us, so it's easier."        

  “After what he did to us..." he muttered, looking somewhere else.         

  “That's like, years ago. And besides, are you still blaming him for everything?"           

“Well..."           

“Just because he noticed someone else, doesn't mean he ignored those around him." Jong Kook said, staring at the white package decorated with musical stickers.           

He's not that Ignorant

========================           

“It would be an honour if you're close to the CEO's son, Kookie darling." That's what my mother would say, after finding out I'm in the same elementary school as him.          

 Who is this boy you asked? Who else if it isn't Jae Suk, son of the main Yoo family. It's not that my parents want to exploit their riches, no. Considering that I'm from the second best family in Seoul.           

It's just that, they're the type that like to compare people and brag about it. If Jae Suk got a higher score than me in an exam or quiz, they'll be like “try to beat his high score, will you?", even though he scored a perfect 100%.(My highest score was 99%, tough luck.)           

And whenever I beat him in a specific sport or something, they'll be like, “our son can lift a 10 kg weight despite his age." (I heard Jae Suk could only lift one 5 kg dumbbell, what to expect from a 10 year old?)           

 However, I do want to have his attention. Not as rival, as close acquaintance would be nice. Because, from my point of view, I can senses that he's tired of being Mr Perfect too. Tired on being heir and all.            

So I tried whatever I can to make him notice me. (which is weird since that we're from the same class and level.) Even my favorite hoobae, Haha tried getting his attention.           

We managed to make him noticed us and be in his friend circle. But whenever we hang out, his attention were never with us. Haha said that he owns another friend who's not even in the same level as us, addressing that guy Mr Farmer. Well, I nevet met him in person so I don't know what to expect.             

Everything went perfectly, until...          

 “I'm s-sorry..." Jae Suk pleaded to us one day. Our face was red that time, furious with what he had done.            

“What do you mean you're sorry? First you broke my MP3 player, then his smartphone and now this?" Haha explode in anger.           

“You really are a dream stealer, aren't you?" that's the only sentence I could come up with.         

 Jae Suk remained his pose like a praying mantis, apologizing multiple time.          

 “Is that farmer boy more important than us? He's just a farmer, what can he do for us?" Haha said, using Jae Suk's friend as the main subject. Jae Suk's face turned red.          

 “Yah! Who are you calling farmer? It's not like you've met him or anything."           

“If this the aftermath of everything, then why would I meet him in person." those words spontaneously exited my mouth.          

 Our volumes were getting louder and louder. Jae Suk no longer apologizing, Haha keeps on blaming the farmer, and I keep on shouting. There were no stopping that our parents have separated us themselves. That was the last time I saw him.           

I entered Arts Academy the year after that. So as Jae Suk. Haha still needs to graduate from elementary.           

I'm still upset with what happened. I'm still wondering, who is this farmer. He couldn't be in this school, right?          

 I don't know why, but I felt that my question were being answered during an end year performance, performed by the second year students. That's when this sunbae take the stage with an acoustic guitar, singing a song he wrote. A song about ignorance!           

It took a song, to make me realized, that Jae Suk is trying to fix everything back. But do we noticed that? No! Haha kept yelling him off. I ended up chasing him like a cat and a dog, around the campus.           

 “On Jae Suk's behalf, I would like to say sorry, for, whatever he'd done." a sunbae said one day on our second year. Jae Suk was hiding behind him, panting.          

 I recognize him as the one that received the limited edition guitar. But seeing the broadcast emblem on his coat, I thought he was someone else.          

 “Kim Jong Kook changed a lot..."

========================         

  A knock fell on Jae Suk's door. After having his permission, Jong Kook entered the room with the white box in hand.            

“What is it, Jong Kook? I'm suprised it was you." Jae Suk exclaimed, sitting on his bed properly.                     

“What's with the pink skin? Oh yeah, your sensitive skin." Jong Kook said, remembering the wail he heard the other day. He walked closer to the bed. “A girl named Suili wanted to give you this."            

 Jae Suk took the box and examined it. He then get off his bed, walked towards his table and gave something to Jong Kook; both the package and a paper bag. He looked confused.           

“The box is for you. The bag is for Haha. Mind passing it to him. Say, I'm sorry for being a troublemaker."           

Jong Kook took the items back, giving a why stare at him. Jae Suk crossed his arms before continuing,

            “I'm sorry for being a dream stealer. Money can't buy anything. But you guys are so insist. Like Haha said, the MP3 player and your smartphone are the last one in Seoul. I had to keep looking for it. Suili's my cousin, and she's willing to skip a year to get it because, my parent will be furious if I go."           

“Wait! You're saying that these..." Jong Kook was suprised with his explanation. Jae Suk gave a slow nodded, releasing a slow sigh.        

 Jong Kook stared at the item in hand. He then took a peek at Jae Suk who's playing with his hoodie.            

“Jae Suk ah. Do you want to restart?"           

 “What do you mean, restart?"         

  “I don't know about Haha, but I'm tired of chasing you everyday at school. Can we, stop that?" Jong Kook explained.          

 A smile was drawn on Jae Suk's face. “Sure, but can we start slow? I mean, I don't like experiencing 'cultural shock´."         

  “Agreed. Now, let's put the cliche drama aside and have supper. I heard there'll be a Die Hard movie marathon and I missed how you imitate Bruce Willis." Jong Kook said, walking towards the door.           

“Sure. Let's watch Sparta afterwards. I think I want to tease you tomorrow." following his steps out of the room, acting like nothing happened in there.


Author's note:: finally! HaHa's next!