Musician or Emcee?

Running Gajok

 The music instrument shop that's located in the Musical Art campus are always busy. But for some reason, not today.

          Suk Jin was busy browsing the guitar displayed on the shelf.

           “Want to buy any of these guitar?" the shop lady asked as she approached the teenager wearing checkered t-shirt, jeans and a guitar case at his back.

           Suk Jin smiled, shook his head and say,“I'm looking for guitar strings actually."

          “Oh! You should've told me earlier. We keep those things at the counter. Come with me." said the shop lady, leading Suk Jin to the counter.

          “May I know what type of guitar you're using?" she politely ask. Suk Jin took out a guitar from its case as a reference.

          “What a nice guitar! I heard that this guitar is limited due to its design." she said, amazed by the red coloured guitar. She then checked the counter for the perfect guitar string for it.

          “Here's the perfect one." she took out a plastic with the right string.

          After paying for the item, he quickly leave the shop before any broadcast students his age saw him.

          “Hyung! What are you doing around here?" a voice came from behind.

          “Oh, Jong Kook. Didn't expect to see you here. Even though, this is your campus."

           Jong Kook walked closer to him so that they'll feel comfortable when talking.

          “Hyung, can I ask you a favour?" Jong Kook asked with his hands clasp. Suk Jin made an okay sign before Jong Kook continue,

          “You mind coming over to our music practice at the studio tomorrow?"

         “ 'our'? And why me? I'm not even a music student." Suk Jin wonder.

          “Fourth and third year will be there, including Gary and Haha. And for your second question, I have my own reason. Please." Jong Kook answered while trying to be cute.

         “There's no need to be cute, Kookie. I'll think about it and let you know soon." Feeling irritated, Suk Jin exhaled a big breath trying to forget about Jong Kook's face expression just now.

          “Planning on going anywhere soon?" Jong Kook asked, putting a grin on his face. Suk Jin shook his head, saying that he has unfinished homework that needs to be complete.

          “See you back home." he said, walking the opposite way.

          Suk Jin remembered something as he reached the house. He promised Jae Suk something tomorrow.

          “What should I do now?"

-----

          “No! Not like that!" Jong Kook scratched his head, looking at the mistakes his hoobaes are doing. Music instruments are not his forte. But the fourth year teachers aren't around, and the third year teacher wanted everyone to cover music instruments today.

          “Music instruments are not really my thing…" Haha complained. Gary nodded, saying that he agreed with him.

          Jong Kook let out a sigh, not knowing what to do. He started looking at everyone else, who's also struggling. His eyes suddenly caught on someone at the main door, carrying a guitar case at his back. He smiled, get up and went to fetch him.

          “Glad you could make it." he said, pulling him to his group. “I know who can help us." said Jong Kook to his group as they got closer.

          “Suk Jin hyung?" Gary said in disbelief. The others just look at him, confused. Jong Kook ignored him, offering Suk Jin his seat as he took another chair to sit next to him.

           “Why is Suk Jin here? And how's he gonna help us? He's not even a music student." Haha asked.

          Suk Jin sat awkwardly on his chair, putting his guitar case next to him. Everyone just looked at him, causing him to feel more awkward.

          Until he saw the various instruments the students are holding.

          “You… need help on musical instruments?" he finally spoke up.

          They remained silent, not feeling confident about a broadcast student teaching them. Not wanting his sunbae feeling uncomfortable with his hoobaes action, Jong Kook rose up his hand.

         “I… have a problem with this cello." he said, pointing to the cello in hand. Suk Jin asked him for the cello. As Jong Kook passed him the giant instrument, he started examining it.

          He tried playing it. The cello just made a screeching sound, causing everyone to cover their ears. He then took a look at the string. Then the stick that was used to play the tune. He suddenly smiled, like he knew its problem.

          “Any of you had a wax?" he asked. The hoobaes look at him, weird. Jong Kook took out a small cylinder-shaped wax and gave him.

          Suk Jin spread the wax onto the stick. He tried playing the cello again. It no longer gave out a screeching song.

          “Try playing it now." he said, giving the cello to Jong Kook.

          Jong Kook just do as told. He tried playing one of his favourite childhood song. He's still not getting it.

          Suk Jin corrected him by placing Jong Kook's finger to the right place. Didn't took long until Jong Kook finally gets it.

          “Can you help me with this flute?" Haha suddenly asked with a grin on his face.

          Suk Jin asked him to play the flute first. The flute doesn't sound harmonious, instead, screaming like someone's killing it.

         “HaHa, you need to blow into the flute steadily. Not too hard, not too soft. Then, your fingers need to cover the right holes thoroughly. Don't rush, stay calm and, try again."

           He tried again, with Suk Jin's advice in mind. The other students are getting more interested with Suk Jin's skill, asking him to help with their problem.

           Even other groups started to acknowledge his presence, begging for help.

           Two hours passed. Everyone's busy with their own instrument. Giving Suk Jin a chance to check his phone for incoming message from Jae Suk.

          “Jong Kook ah. I'm sorry but I have to leave now." he whispered to his dongsaeng. Jong Kook nodded and thanked him for helping them. Without another word, he quickly left the studio.

          Class ended 10 minutes after he left. While everyone's busy cleaning up, Gary spotted a guitar case not far from where he currently standing.

          “Who's guitar is this?" Gary asked as he walked closer to the black coloured case. He tried looking for a name tag on it.

            “Isn't that Suk Jin's?" Jong Kook said from behind.

            “ Let's see what's inside." HaHa said, ping the case.

         “Of course its a… woah…" Jong Kook words went hanging in the air once he saw what's inside.

          “Why would a broadcast student get himself a guitar? Not to mention that this is a limited edition type and cost a fortune."

          “I think I saw that once. But why..."

-----

          Suk Jin started to panic. He rummaged his room, trying to find his missing item. He tried tracking down the last time he saw it.

          “Hyung, may I come in? Besides, I think you left something." Jong Kook appeared at the front door.

          “Sure, of course you can… Oh my gosh! My guitar!" Suk Jin felt like passing out on his bed now. Jong Kook slowly closed the door and gave the guitar case back to its owner as he sat on the bed.

          “Thanks a lot, Jong Kook ah. Where did you found it? You didn't scratched it, do you?" Suk Jin carefully took out the guitar and checked it.

         “You left it at the studio. And no, no scratches." Jong Kook said, calming his hyung down. He then asked him to play a song for him.

          Suk Jin smiled and played a familiar song to Jong Kook. Jong Kook knew it was him.

          “You're a music student once, aren't you?" he asked. Suk Jin doesn't answer. He only showed a blank face, continued playing.

          “I'm not dumb, hyung. I know who you are. I'm your hoobae when you still are. That guitar. Every year, when a student passed the teachers expectations, they'll receive an award and special gift. 2 years ago, they gave out limited edition guitar to five lucky students. One of it was this guitar. One of the students were you!"

          Suk Jin still doesn't say a word. Jong Kook started throwing his guessing dart.

          “Jae Suk forced you, doesn't he?"

          This caused him to stop strumming. There was a long silence in the room before he said;

          “No, actually..."

          “There's no way someone would change their course for no reason."
           
          “Funny. It's not really Jae Suk's fault though. You could say it was mine."

==========================================================================================

          I met Jae Suk when I was 8. And by 8, he was 7 that time.

          We came from different family background; He's from a wealthy family, mine not so easy. Interestingly, Jae Suk's family accepted us more than their own friends.

           We attended different school. Because of that, he would always begged me to come over and play with him. Sometimes, I even slept there to keep him company. Causing my parents to worry about me sometimes.

          There was a time when I received a scholarship to America back when I was 12. My parents were proud of me. But when I told Jae Suk about it,

          “But, Hyung! You can't leave! I'll feel lonely. Please, don't go!" he would plead almost everyday.

           So, I have to reject the offer. Jae Suk was please but not my parents. When the Yoo family knew about this, they apologize and promise to help my family, including our expenses.

           They even paid for my registration fee for this school. Including my monthly expense.

          I started off as a music student. I had a lot of fun in that course. I'm a quick learner, that explains why I can easily pick up any rhythm randomly.

           The next year, it was Jae Suk's turn to register into the academy. He didn't know what course I took. He never really ask. He only found out during our mid-summer break.

           “I thought you're a broadcast student too. Bummer..." that was his comment. Doesn't sound much, but I knew he was upset with me, wanting me to change my mind.

          I thought about sticking to my current study. Only to end up changing my path at the end of the year.

          “You're serious?" that's what my teacher said. Surprised for my action, she asked if there was anyone disturbing me.

          “No. Please. I'm sorry if I suddenly change my mind. Its just that, I have some personal reason about it. And please, just put me straight along with the third year student." I bowed exactly 90 degrees, begging for her to understand.

          She let out a big sigh, pinching her forehead. “Okay then. If that's what you desire. Came to think that you just received that awesome guitar. Do take good care on it. But if you change your mind and want to return here, just tell me. You're always welcome to the campus."

           So, I started the new semester with a new course. I thought it would be easy. Only to end up struggling with it. My grades are failing me terribly. Way more worse than I thought it would get.

==========================================================================================

           “Does Jae Suk know about that?" Jong Kook interrupted. Suk Jin shook his head.

         “I never tell Jae Suk the difficulty I'm going through. I only shared the best one with him."

          Silence evade the room before Jong Kook asked,

           “Don't you want to return to music, hyung?"

           “I don't know. Maybe yes, maybe no." he answered with a sorrow tone, continue to play his guitar.

          Someone's at the other side of the door, eavesdropping everything from the start to the end. Tears begin flowing on his cheek, he quickly leave straight to his room.

          “I'm sorry, hyung."


Author's Note: Beware, Jae Suk's next...