#Drabble 7 - Guide Wolf

blehmeh's book of drabbles

Title: Guide Wolf
Dedicated to: Allison
Date: 160708
Pairing: Baekhyun/Chanyeol
Rating: PG-15
Word Count: ~2.7k
Description: Blind!Baekhyun loses his guide dog one day & Chanyeol an alpha wolf decides to help the poor boy.
Warnings: none
Prompt: same as description
Message from Author: Thank you for donating~

 


Sometimes being blind is such a nuisance.

It’s annoying because you always need to depend on someone, or something, to be your eyes. Without it, you’re lost.

It doesn’t help either when your guide dog seems like a normal, bubbly, restless dog that instead makes you feel even blinder.

“Jongdae!” Baekhyun calls, blind hand reaching out for the leash that he knows is not there anymore. “Jongdae, come back!”

Where had Jongdae gone now? Baekhyun sighs, not even angry. He will be happy if Jongdae returns at all.

“Silly puppy.” Baekhyun frowns. “I wish you’d stop looking for female dogs to impress. I need you.” He sighs again and falls to the floor, tired from calling out.

All around him, he hears the soft buzz of people talking and the sound of leaves rustling. He knew he shouldn’t have taken Jongdae to the park! After all, there are bound to be heaps of dogs there to flirt with, and he’s sure Jongdae would want to hit up any female dog he sees.

Lost in his thoughts, he doesn’t realise that something soft and warm had pressed up against his thigh until he feels a something slick and warm up his hand.

“Jongdae?” Baekhyun whispers, but already he knows it’s not Jongdae from the way the fur and the tongue feels different.

“Are you here to accompany me?” Baekhyun asks instead, unfolding his legs and spreading them to led this dog in. When Baekhyun wraps his arms around the fur, he realises that this is too big to be a normal dog, and should be around the size of a wolf.

Still, wolves wouldn’t be this friendly, right?

“You’re a little big, aren’t you?” Baekhyun leans in and nuzzles his nose against the fur of what he believes to be the dog’s head. “I don’t know when Jongdae will come back … Man, I’m kinda hungry. I don’t know where to go though.”

The dog in his arms moves away from his grasp and barks.

“Huh?” Baekhyun feels the dog nuzzle against his legs, as if wanting him to stand. He stands. “You’re going to take me there?” Bark of approval.

“Oh… Okay …” Confused, Baekhyun blinks. “How are you supposed to guide me though?”

Bark.

Although Baekhyun doesn’t know what he’s saying, he somehow understands.

Feeling the tail around his feet, Baekhyun takes each step forward, waiting until the dog’s soft bark to stop moving. Then, when turning, the dog would move somewhere else so that Baekhyun’s different parts of his feet would be covered with its tail. Baekhyun would have to change his direction until the same foot would be touching the dog’s tail, and then they would start moving again. Baekhyun doesn’t know how he knows the mechanisms of the dog’s mind, but all he does is he swears the dog acts almost like a human.

Eventually the dog barks loudly and Baekhyun knows to stop. He reaches out before him, feeling the glass door, and then he pushes it open. The store bell sounds cutely and Baekhyun walks in slowly. The smell of fresh breads and cakes waft into his nose. He continues walking until he touches the smooth surface of the counter.

“Excuse me.” He calls. “Can I please have a sandwich? Or anything of the kind. Thank you.” The moment he speaks, he hears gasps of fear all around him. The swishing of the dog’s tail is comforting to his skin.

“Just a moment.” He hears fear in the girl’s voice at the counter. He nods and then bends down. Naturally, the dog steps into his arms.

“Don’t worry.” He says softly. “He won’t bite anyone.” Eventually, the girl hands out the bread, calling him timidly, and Baekhyun straightens himself again, reaching towards his pocket and grabbing a handful of notes. Normally he would count his money, but today he doesn’t feel like it, so instead he passes a few notes to the girl, who eventually returns the change to him. Grabbing his sandwich in one hand, he walks out slowly, following the swish of the dog’s tail towards the exit.

“Let’s go back to the park.” Baekhyun says as he takes a bite of the bread, feeling the dryness of the dough but the juiciness of the tomato. “I still need to wait for Jongdae.” The dog says nothing, but the swishing if its tail at his feet is still there, as if reassuring him that it’ll take him there.

After realising that it’s taking longer to get to the park than it had been going to the bakery, Baekhyun frowns and stops.

“Are you sure …?” The dog barks, as if in approval, and then Baekhyun swears it is bounding further and further away because the warmth of its tail is gone and his barks are fading.

“Wait!” Baekhyun calls out, and then takes hasty steps after the dog. “Where are you -” he cries out when his shoe catches on what he believes to be a crack in the pavement, and he falls down, scraping his knee in the process. The sandwich falls out of his hand.

Gathering his legs up to his knees, Baekhyun winces when his fingers glance over the blood that is flowing out of the cut on his knee. Hoping the dog will come back, but at this moment knowing he might never see it again, Baekhyun sprawls his hands out onto the rough pavement and tries to push himself up.

“Need help?” A smooth, deep voice asks as a hand grips onto his elbow. Without waiting for Baekhyun’s answer, the man pulls him up.

“Thank you.” Baekhyun gasps, and when the man lets go, he doesn’t expect it, and accidentally falls towards him, into his arms. The man is taller than him from the way Baekhyun’s forehead briefly touches his chest, and strong hands reach out to touch him again.

“Are you all right?” The man asks softly, and Baekhyun smells the scent of fresh grass and the woods on him. Just like the scent on the dog.

“Yeah, I-I’m fine.” Baekhyun stammers. He doesn’t even know why he’s stammering … and is he blushing?

“Here, I’ll take you back home.” The man offers, hand gentle at his arm; soft, comforting. And very warm.

“Uh … Thanks.” Baekhyun flushes again. “My house is on Bay Street … Number 6 …” Without waiting for Baekhyun to finish, the man starts pulling him.

“Watch your step.” Comes his deep, soothing voice. Baekhyun stops, carefully pushing his foot forward until it touches the risen concrete. Carefully, he lifts his foot up, moves it forward, and lets it land on the first step of the stairs. It feels familiar, much like his own set of steps to his front door.

It can’t be. His house is that close?

Could the dog have tried to take him home?

How does the mysterious dog know where he lives?

His suspicions are right when he reaches out after his fourth step and feels the familiar wood of his door. His hand fumbles for the knob and eventually he finds it, twisting it before he pushes it open and they step inside.

“You should lock your door.” The man muses, and even though they’ve stopped moving, his hand doesn’t falter.

“I should,” Baekhyun admits, “but I don’t. I guess it’s because there’s nothing in my house. And no one would stalk me anyway.” He laughs.

“By the way.” Baekhyun twists his head around, as if looking for something even though he can’t see. “Did you … Perhaps … See a dog anywhere? A really big dog?” The man pauses.

“…No.” He replies eventually. There is silence. The man’s warmth is seeping into his arm. Almost hot.

“Should I look for him?” The man asks.

“N-no, it’s fine.” Baekhyun shakes his head quickly, and moves out of the man’s grasp as if he had just been slapped awake. “A-Anyway, thank you for everything! Thank you so much.” He bows deeply. He hears footsteps towards the door, and eventually the door closes, and silence engulfs his house.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Jongdae!” Baekhyun calls for the next few days on the front of his doorstep. “Jongdae! Where are you?” Sighing in defeat, giving up for the day, Baekhyun shuffles back in his house, closing the door soundly behind him before slowly sinking down on the floor.

It had been silent in his house ever since Jongdae went missing. Baekhyun doesn’t dare go to the police station to file a missing report for fear he might bother the other people with his blindness or he might get hurt … and still bother people with his blindness. He sighs. Somehow, it hadn’t been as hard to do things without Jongdae as he thought. When things fell, he used to take a long time searching for it until he had to ask Jongdae to help him, but now, he could find it next to his hand almost every time. Maybe it’s the luck that comes after a tragedy (aka losing Jongdae). When walking around his house, he would always bump into one of the things lying around, but now it’s almost as if his house is empty, with the exception that he bumps into corners of the walls. Maybe it’s because Jongdae messes things up too much.

Still. The strangest thing though, is that all Baekhyun had been thinking of for the past few days is the man that had helped him up. He doesn’t know why, but somehow he wouldn’t mind having that man replace Jongdae. In fact, he’d like it very much.

“I want to meet you again …” Baekhyun whispers longingly as he remembers how it felt to have that man touch him. Then shakes out of it. What is he thinking? Someone can’t possibly spend the rest of their lives caring for a crippled person! People have potential. Why is he even attracted in the first place? It’s crazy strange.

As if on cue, he feels something soft and warm cuddle up to his leg.

“Jongdae?” Baekhyun whispers, but the longer he feels the fur, the more he’s convinced it’s not Jongdae. Heart in his throat, a little disbelieving, Baekhyun stretches out his arms and lets the furry thing walk into them. His suspicions are right - it is the huge dog that led him to the bakery last time. The one that suddenly ran away and never came back.

“It’s you again.” Baekhyun whispers. “Were you here this whole time? Taking care of me?” There is no answer except the nuzzling of the dog towards his hand, and somehow Baekhyun has a way of understanding what this dog is saying.

“Why didn’t you show yourself to me? I thought I was alone this whole time …” Honestly he should question how the dog got in here and was so silent for the past few days. After all, he’s sure dogs can’t be that silent, right? But maybe because he’s been so lonely lately that he doesn’t mind it one bit and so he doesn’t question it one bit. Still, he can’t help but feel a little disappointed that it’s not the man …

“Do you want to live with me?” Baekhyun asks courteously, hopefully. “And be my guide dog?” Bark of approval. Baekhyun smiles as the dog steps into his lap and begins his neck fervently.

“You’re so affectionate.” Baekhyun chuckles. “Hand?” The dog obediently places its paw on Baekhyun’s hand, which Baekhyun grips gratefully, impressed.

“Aw, I don’t know what to call you though …” Baekhyun whispers. “And I know you have a name, so I don’t want to randomly call you something else.” The paw in his hand suddenly shifts.

Baekhyun at first doesn’t know what’s happening, but suddenly he’s not holding a paw anymore. He’s holding someone’s hand.

“Call me Chanyeol.” It’s that deep voice again, the one he kept dreaming about, and his hand is large and warm as he clutches Baekhyun’s hand. Baekhyun flinches, but Chanyeol’s grip is too strong and he can’t move away. Instead, Chanyeol inches closer until Baekhyun can feel his lips next to his ear, his breath fanning his neck.

“Don’t be scared.” Chanyeol whispers, and Baekhyun shivers. “I’ve been inside here ever since we last met, and I’ve been here doing everything for you.”

“But … Why?” Baekhyun chokes, feeling the hand slowly move up to pin his wrist against the wall. He can hardly breathe.

“Because I want you.” Chanyeol’s voice sounds more like a growl now, lips ghosting over his neck. “I want to claim you.”

“You’re …” Baekhyun whispers, heart beating so fast that he’s shaking.

“An alpha wolf.” Chanyeol’s smooth voice replies before Baekhyun feels lips press against his neck.

He’s heard of these kinds of wolves before, the ones who can shapeshift from wolf into man. He always thought they didn’t exist, or they were too rare for him to ever meet one. Or maybe he had the impression that they liked to live in the forest. Then again, the park is connected to the forest so that’s probably where Chanyeol came from.

“Will you let me?” Chanyeol’s beautiful voice sounds again like music to Baekhyun’s ears. At this point, Baekhyun is panting softly.

“Let you what?” Baekhyun breathes.

“Let me be your guide wolf.” Chanyeol whispers, and then the lips leave his neck. Baekhyun somehow feels empty without them. He’s not sure why he’s so strangely attracted to this stranger.

“Yes.” Baekhyun replies, voice soft. He gasps in surprise when he feels a strong arm wrap around his back and then he is pulled to what he believes is Chanyeol’s chest. And he swears his cheek is pressed against skin.

Was Chanyeol this whole time in his house?

“You … Might want to put on some clothes if you’re going to live here.” Baekhyun says genuinely as he lets Chanyeol pull him up from the floor.

A humorous laugh answers him. “Sure.” Chanyeol is still holding his hand as he leads him further into the house.

“Where are we going?” Baekhyun asks, heart fluttering.

“To get me some clothes.” Chanyeol chuckles. “And then to get you to the market.”

“How … how do you know I go to the market on Tuesdays?” Baekhyun whispers. Chanyeol doesn’t reply, but Baekhyun can already imagine it – imagine a Chanyeol watching silently over him every day, knowing him like the back of his hand. Just how long had Chanyeol known him?

“Let’s go.” Chanyeol grasps his hand again once he finishes changing, and Baekhyun lets the other lead him.

“You’re not going to shift?” Baekhyun asks.

“Do you want me to?”

“N-no.” Baekhyun replies timidly, and he feels Chanyeol’s hand squeezing his own. He feels the cool morning breeze when Chanyeol opens the door, and his bare feet search blindly for his sandals. Chanyeol’s hand then leaves his, and in a moment, he feels a warm hand grasping his foot and then his sandal is sliding onto his foot.

“Here you go.” Chanyeol says, and then that hand is clasped around his again, like Chanyeol really means it when he says he wants to be Baekhyun’s eyes.

“Are you … really going to guide me? For the rest of my life?” Baekhyun whispers, heart thumping both in fear and anticipation.

“If you’ll be mine for the rest of your life.” Chanyeol replies, and Baekhyun feels the air shift until he smells the fresh grass and wood on Chanyeol, so close to him. He holds his breath. “If you’ll be mine, then I’ll protect you forever.”

“O-Okay.” Baekhyun breathes, because suddenly Chanyeol’s scent is stronger now, and then he feels Chanyeol’s breath on his skin. The thought of having someone permanent by his side, always looking out for him, is comforting. Then, as expected, he feels lips press up against his, and naturally he presses them back. When Chanyeol pulls away, Baekhyun is breathless.

Chanyeol laughs. Baekhyun can detect the happiness in his tone.

“Let’s go!” Suddenly Chanyeol is enthusiastic, and Baekhyun can feel it from the way Chanyeol is holding onto his hand. He never knew Chanyeol would have that sort of energy, and this man is still such a mystery to him.

But it’s okay, because he has the rest of his life to find out.