#Drabble 10 - Awkward Misunderstanding

blehmeh's book of drabbles

Title: Awkward Misunderstanding
Dedicated to: Cassie
Date: 160710
Pairing: Baekhyun/Chanyeol
Rating: G
Word Count: ~2.5k
Description: Baekhyun sighs, face flat on the desk. Who would believe that THE Park Chanyeol has returned his confession?
Warnings: none 
Prompt: same as description
Message from Author: Thank you for donating!


“I like you.”

“I like you too.”

Baekhyun slams his face on his desk lightly again and again and again. He can’t believe it. THE Park Chanyeol just returned his confession. THE Park Chanyeol that he had a crush on for years!

Baekhyun sits up dazedly, knowing his hair is ruffled as the teacher walks in and starts the class. Just what the hell had happened?

The icy morning breeze blows into his face as he waits at the back of the school nervously, so nervous that he’s jumping lightly from foot to foot. Eventually, he sees his crush appear from around the corner, hands in his pockets and chin hidden beneath his scarf. Baekhyun gulps and contemplates running away – after all, Chanyeol hasn’t seen him, so he still has a chance to back out last minute …

All thoughts go down the drain when the taller looks up, face splitting into a smile as he removes his hand from his pocket to wave at Baekhyun. Baekhyun purses his lips, not knowing whether he should walk over or stay where he is. In the end, he decides to walk towards the taller, who has begun jogging towards him.

“What is it?” Chanyeol asks.

“I just … I …” Baekhyun’s voice fades away, and his mind is blank – rather, it’s a whole mess of thoughts and he can’t pick out one. “I … uh …”

Chanyeol is standing there, waiting patiently, blowing out puffs of warm air that comes out as smoke-like fog. Baekhyun notes his reddening nose, and he knows if he wastes more time, Chanyeol’s going to freeze to death.

“I … I like you.” Baekhyun blurts. Chanyeol blinks, looks down at him in surprise. Baekhyun shuts his mouth, waiting for it, waiting for a response that’ll forever reject him and make him feel so embarrassed he’d never want to look Chanyeol in the eye again. Instead, the taller breaks into a grin.

“I like you too.” He says simply. “Is that all? Then let’s go back inside, it’s freezing out here.”

“… Are you sure he understood what you meant?” Joonmyun asks. “He seems as if he misunderstood your entire intention.”

“How could he though?” Baekhyun argues. “I asked to meet him at the back of the school, alone! Just to say that! How could I do all that and not make it sound like a confession?”

“I don’t know, maybe he’s just really stupid?” Joonmyun suggests. Baekhyun groans and hits his forehead against the desk again. “Come on, you know it makes sense. After all, he’s bottom fifty at our school in academics.”

“He’s got the top mark in music though.” Baekhyun points out. Joonmyun sighs.

“And that means anything?”

“And academics mean anything?” Baekhyun argues back, sending Joonmyun a pointed look. His friend gives up, sinking back into his chair.

“Well, don’t blame me if you end up losing him as a friend because of your stupidity, Baekhyun.” Joonmyun says. “Oh, and his, too.”

“No! But …” Baekhyun sighs, for the first time giving in to his friend. “Fine. Then tell me how do I confirm he knows I meant it as a confession?”

“I don’t know …” Joonmyun falls into silence as he thinks. “Oh! Maybe you can try to do affectionate things with him? Hold hands, maybe? A hug?”

“No way, that’s too intimate – ” Baekhyun stops when Joonmyun sends him a look. He sighs, giving in.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Hey Baek.” Chanyeol greets when Baekhyun appears next to him in the lockers. “What’re you doing today lunch?”

“Uh …” Baekhyun looks backwards at a Joonmyun who’s hiding in the shadows. Joonmyun gestures for him to talk. He looks back towards Chanyeol. “Um … nothing much. Joonmyun skipped class today so, uh … I really have no one to hang out with …” He looks backwards at Joonmyun, who is sending him a thumbs up.

“Oh! Then how about you hang out with us?” Chanyeol asks, grinning. Baekhyun sneaks a glance towards his friend, who is nodding profusely. Baekhyun imitates his action.

“S-Sure.” He says as Chanyeol closes his locker and gestures for him to follow. Baekhyun looks towards Joonmyun again, and this time Joonmyun is clasping two of his hands together, mouthing for Baekhyun to do it. Baekhyun gulps, then hurries to catch up to his crush, who is striding a little too fast for his shorter legs. Eventually, Baekhyun is walking side by side with Chanyeol, and he knows by the way the hairs on the back of his neck stand up that Joonmyun is following them, eyeing them intensely. Baekhyun gulps as he looks down at Chanyeol’s hand, who is resting very close next to his as they walk. He shuts his eyes tightly – just ing do it!!! He tells himself, and reaches down to grab it.

Chanyeol looks down in mild surprise, and Baekhyun’s heart is racing so fast he almost doesn’t see it. At first, Chanyeol looks questioning, but then in the end Baekhyun feels his larger hand close around his, and then Chanyeol is pulling him towards the cafeteria.

Baekhyun looks backwards at Joonmyun, who is still following but is now grinning triumphantly. Baekhyun lets his heart rest, now more reassured that maybe Chanyeol had understood him after all.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Or not.

Baekhyun watches awkwardly as Chanyeol’s friend, Yixing, hovers especially close to him, always whispering in his ear. He watches Joonmyun from a few tables away, whose face had turned a very horrible sour. Yixing leans over to Chanyeol again, his hand casually resting on Chanyeol’s inner thigh as he leans over to whisper something in Chanyeol’s ear again. Chanyeol laughs and just as enthusiastically leans over to whisper something back to Yixing.

As if that isn’t enough, this time one of Chanyeol’s other friends, a girl called Luna, strides over, hand hovering on Chanyeol’s shoulder as she talks to him freely. Baekhyun is so into their actions that he doesn’t hear what they’re saying, but then Luna’s hand is reaching over to Chanyeol’s neck, and Chanyeol is smiling but shivering at the same time, playfully telling Luna to stop. Luna doesn’t, however, a cheeky smile hanging over her lips as her hand reaches up to his cheek instead, and in the end Chanyeol stands and hoists her off her feet, carrying her bridal-style as he runs like a madman throughout the cafeteria. When Baekhyun looks at Joonmyun again, Joonmyun’s facial expression is even worse than it had been earlier. Then, when Chanyeol is still running around carrying Luna, with Yixing laughing his off opposite Baekhyun, Joonmyun stands and grabs Baekhyun roughly, then pulls him out of the cafeteria.

“Um … so?” Baekhyun mumbles.

“He’s just affectionate with everybody.” Joonmyun hisses. “He probably had no ing idea what you meant when you said that to him this morning. Look at him, letting the others touch him everywhere without minding it one bit.”

Baekhyun sighs. “I guess I’ll just take that as a form of rejection then.” He says.

“No!” Joonmyun grabs his arm, startling Baekhyun. “We have to see if he’s more affectionate towards you than other people! Then we’ll know for sure whether he really likes you or not.”

“He didn’t even talk to me this whole time!” Baekhyun argues. “He was too into his own little world with Yixing.” Jealousy boils up inside him when he remembers how close Yixing’s lips had been to Chanyeol’s ear.

“You have class with him next, don’t you?” Joonmyun whispers fiercely. “This is your chance. You have to treat him like your boyfriend and see how he responds.”

“He’s obviously not going to respond right!” Baekhyun whispers back, deflating. “He’s going to let me hold his hand. Hell, I betcha if I kissed him he wouldn’t mind. He’d think that’s what friends do, because that’s how his friends are towards him.”

“Maybe if you kissed him on the lips?” Joonmyun suggests. “Maybe if you add a little … that, lots, of tongue, he’ll understand.”

“Ugh, this is so stupid.” Baekhyun groans. “What situation did I get myself into?” Right then, Chanyeol walks out of the cafeteria, his eyes widening when he sees Baekhyun and Joonmyun. He walks over to them, and Joonmyun’s eyes are wide like a deer caught in the headlights. He freezes in his place.

“Baekhyun!” Chanyeol calls out when he appears by their side. “I thought you said Joonmyun skipped class.” Baekhyun watches as Joonmyun shuts his eyes and curses silently, then spring up with a smile at Chanyeol.

“Oh yeah, I did, but I came here just to see Baekhyun.” Baekhyun blinks as Joonmyun links his arm through his, clinging onto him tightly. “So we’re gonna have our alone time together now, bye!”

“Wait – ” Chanyeol calls, but Joonmyun is already outta there, grabbing Baekhyun along with him.

When Chanyeol is out of sight, Joonmyun lets go. “You heard what I want you to do. You better do it, because I’m not going to be there to help you this time.”

“I can’t believe I got myself into this mess…” Baekhyun groans again.

“Stop complaining.” Joonmyun says as he grabs Baekhyun again, turns him around, and pushes him to his locker. “Okay, get your books and get ready for the next class. You better get this sorted by today or I’ll kill someone.” Joonmyun winds his arm around Baekhyun’s shoulder as Baekhyun reaches to get his books.

“Welp, Chanyeol’s here.” Joonmyun says, making Baekhyun flinch slightly in his spot. Give a poor man a warning, why don’t you? Baekhyun thinks, frowning as Joonmyun ruffles his hair affectionately and pinches his cheek. “Good luck!” Then he flies out of there.

“Is he leaving school again?” Chanyeol asks once he takes his place next to Baekhyun, taking his books out of his locker.

“Uh … yeah …” Baekhyun says, pulling his books to his chest as he wonders whether he should wait for Chanyeol. In the end, he doesn’t have the chance to decide, because Chanyeol closes his locker and smiles down at the smaller.

“Let’s go.” He says. Baekhyun nods violently as he follows Chanyeol, back stiff.

For today’s lesson, they’re working in groups to discuss an issue at hand. Baekhyun is sitting across Chanyeol, watching as the taller smooths out a large piece of paper in between them. Oh, what should I do now? Baekhyun thinks to himself.

“I think you should sit next to me so we can see this better.” Chanyeol suggests. Baekhyun gulps as he moves himself next to Chanyeol. When he looks down, the majority of the paper is blocked by Chanyeol’s shoulder, and Baekhyun wonders whether he should start doing what Joonmyun wanted him to do.

What do I have to lose? Baekhyun thinks to himself, shutting his eyes tightly as he leans forward and rests his chin on Chanyeol’s shoulder.

“Sorry, I can’t read it.” He mumbles, hoping he doesn’t sound too obvious. Chanyeol chuckles, and his chuckle rumbles throughout his entire body.

“That’s fine.” Chanyeol says. “Yixing says my shoulder’s too broad, so I understand.”

Baekhyun sighs inwardly at the mention of Yixing, and he wants to give up, but Joonmyun’s wide eyes are stuck in his mind, his threatening gaze forcing Baekhyun to keep going. So Baekhyun leans his head against Chanyeol’s neck.

No response.

At the end of class, Baekhyun is sighing again and again and again as he walks to his next class. When Joonmyun enters, he takes a seat next to Baekhyun.

“How was it?” He hisses. Baekhyun sighs and shakes his head.

“I think I’m better off being an affectionate friend with him.” Baekhyun sighs.

“No, it’s not over.” Joonmyun says. “You still have the end of the day. This time, you should ask him exactly what you mean to him.”

“No, Joonmyun, I can’t –”

Do it.” Joonmyun orders. Baekhyun wants to argue this time, but then the teacher enters and they have no more time to speak.

Hmph. Baekhyun thinks to himself as he sneaks a glance at his friend. As if I’m going to listen to you this time. You aren’t the boss of me.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

At the end of the day, Baekhyun hurries to his locker, grabbing his bag and stuffing all his books in, hoping he’ll be able to leave before Chanyeol comes. He closes his locker and mentally shouts in triumph, but the moment he turns around to leave, Chanyeol calls out his name.

“Baekhyun!”

Baekhyun silently curses as he turns around to meet Chanyeol, who is jogging towards their lockers.

“Uh, hey.” Baekhyun says softly as Chanyeol grins at him then opens his locker. The taller seems to be rushing, so Baekhyun stands, waiting for the taller to rush off. And then he’ll be free of the humiliation for the rest of the day, and Joonmyun can shut up and never force him to do embarrassing things again.

Chanyeol closes his locker, bag slung over his shoulder as he grins down at Baekhyun. “So? Going home?”

“Yeah.” Baekhyun mutters. Why isn’t he leaving? If he doesn’t, I will. “Bye.” Then he hurries off.

Turning around a corner, he sighs in relief, but then someone grabs his hand, and when he opens his eyes, Chanyeol’s wide ones are staring into his own. He flinches, but Chanyeol’s grip is tight, the taller chuckling as he begins to lead Baekhyun away and out of the school.

He’s playing me and he doesn’t even know it. Baekhyun sighs, but he admits he quite likes the contact they’re sharing. They’re out of the gates now, and Baekhyun briefly wonders why Chanyeol hasn’t said a thing. Then he wonders where Chanyeol’s taking him.

“Chanyeol?” He whispers. Chanyeol slows down until he’s walking side by side, slows down so much that each step takes seconds. Then Chanyeol stops, lets out a huge breath, turns to Baekhyun, and grabs his other hand. Then he grins.

“So?” Chanyeol asks, and Baekhyun loves and hates how handsome he is when he smiles. He blinks when the taller stands there patiently, waiting for him to answer.

“…So what?” Baekhyun asks stupidly.

“How was my first day as your boyfriend?”

Baekhyun blinks. He blinks again, looks down at their clasped fingers, then up at Chanyeol, then blinks.

“I thought … you didn’t understand what I said ..” Baekhyun tries to form his thoughts into words, but in the end he gives up. “Yixing? Luna?” Chanyeol’s smile fades away.

“Oh.” Then the smile is back, this time a sheepish one. “They, uh, wanted me to feel more comfortable with you. They know I-I’ve had a crush on you for ages s-so … I-I didn’t know what to say when you were around so …” Chanyeol laughs, and Baekhyun likes the way it sounds.

“A-And also!” Chanyeol adds. “You seem very comfortable with skinship, like with Joonmyun, so I thought … if my friends were like that towards me then y-you wouldn’t feel awkward …”

“So … does that mean you like me too?” Baekhyun asks. “Not in a friend way?” Chanyeol nods eagerly.

Hiding in the bushes not far away, Luna pinches Yixing on the arm.

“I told you Baekhyun misunderstood!” She hisses. Yixing rubs his head sheepishly. “You went a little too far, whispering in his ear like that.”

“Sorry …” He mumbles. “But you can’t say that, since you were touching his cheek and everything …”

“Guys.” Joonmyun cuts in. “Let’s just enjoy the scene of fresh little lovers before us, shall we?”