chapter seven.

When Will You Come Back? (Sequel to WWYWU)

I'M BACK! SORRY 100000x for the delay...if you need a refresher, please read the chapter before this. on the other hand, enjoy!


Jisoo stopped by the bakery to pick up your favorite pastries along with your favorite flavored milk tea. On his way to your place he tried calling you multiple times, but you would not answer. That wasn’t going to stop him seeing you that day though. He was only a few blocks from your house when suddenly he heard his phone ring. He answered it right away, hoping it was you.

“Hello? ____?”                                                   

“Jisoo!”

“Mom?”

“Jisoo, are you busy?”

“Um…I’m on my way to _____’s house. Why?”

“The TV isn’t working…”

“Again? Did you ask dad to fix it?”

“He can’t figure it out either. Can you come home?”

Jisoo sighed. He had already parked in your driveway, but as the sweet and reliable son he was, he backed out and followed his parent’s orders. “Okay Mom, I’ll be there. Love you too.”

 

When he made it to his house, he noticed that the road leading to his house was full of parked cars. It wasn’t usually this crowded. He figured someone in his neighborhood was throwing a party. Luckily his driveway was still clear, allowing him to speed up and park into his garage. He felt the bag of pastries on the passenger’s seat, which was still a little warm. He thought of you and looked at the time. Hopefully he’d be able to make it before the food got cold and soggy. 

As he walked through the door of his house, it was eerily quiet. “Mom? Dad?” As he removed his shoes and walked inside, he started to smell something delicious – barbeque. “Eomma? Are you guys cooking?” His mouth began to water as the flavors of homemade samgyeopsal and bulgogi filled his nostrils. He made his way to the kitchen and was startled by a little boy who crawled from under the table. “Boo!” his squeaky voice gave Jisoo a heart attack. “Alex?! What are you doing here?” Alex was his little six year-old cousin.

Before he could figure it out, he was startled again by a burst of people who jumped out of nowhere. “SURPRISE!” They all threw balloons and confetti at him.

“What? It’s not my birthday.” Jisoo was more confused than surprised. He looked at his mom. “What’s going on mom? I thought the TV was just broken.”

She walked up to him and gave him a big kiss on the cheek. “Can’t you see? All these people came for you!” his mom explained to him. Jisoo’s eyes scanned the room and noticed his whole family was there, including the ones who he hasn’t seen in so long.

“Oh my gosh. Hi everyone!” He waved with a big grin on his face. He immediately made sure to greet every one of them. All of his uncles and aunts, countless cousins, and grandparents. Though he was the only child, he still had a pretty big family. He couldn’t believe he had more family in Korea. The fact that all these people came to see him was very touching and heart-warming.

He thought about his plan of meeting up with you that night. He figured that wasn’t going to follow through anymore. The pastries would have been cold and soggy by that time. He didn’t want to think or worry about it. It was family-time right now and he wanted to enjoy it to the fullest. Everyone in the room asked him questions, which he answered both in Korean and English.

“Are you excited to move to Korea?” his aunt asked him in Korean to test him.

“Yes, excited and nervous at the same time,” he replied back in Korean.

“Wow, your Korean isn’t bad,” she said, giving him a thumbs up. He bowed in thanks before being asked more questions in Korean all of a sudden.

“Okay everyone! The food it ready!” his mom announced. Everyone gathered around the table of delicious food and joined hands in prayer. “Amen! Let’s dig in!”

“Wow, this is a lot of food. Mom, did you prepare all this by yourself?” Jisoo’s mouth watered.

“Of course not! Your girlfriend helped me.” Jisoo looked at his mother, who wiggled her eyebrows at him.

Jisoo gave her a skeptical look. “Wait what?”

“Yeah, she’s been here since you left to go to your friend’s house.”

“You’re kidding,” Jisoo still didn’t believe her. If you stayed all day to make all this food, you would still be there, but he couldn’t spot you in the crowd of his relatives.

“She’s the one who wanted to throw a party for you in the first place, so you better thank her big time,” his mom exclaimed.

He blinked in shock. “Jinja? Are you serious?”

“Yes, I’m serious!” his mom said in English. Jisoo smiled to himself as the thought of you planning this whole celebration out crossed his mind. He wanted to find you and wrap his arms around you.

His mom scanned her eyes around the kitchen and called out your name. “_____-ah? Where are you?”

“I’m here!” Jisoo heard your voice but didn’t see you until you got up from behind the counter. He had no idea you were here the whole time. Seeing you again after a couple of days was so refreshing. He just wanted to pull you close to him so he wouldn’t lose you again. He smiled at you, but you didn’t respond. You didn’t seem as happy he was to see you.

“What are you doing down there?” Jisoo’s mom asked you.

“There was a spill,” you explained with a paper towel in your hand. You locked eyes with Jisoo for a second and then immediately looked away.

“Don’t worry about it. Come and eat with us,” Jisoo’s mom offered you a plate.

You smiled as you took the plate from her. “Thanks Mrs. Hong.”

“Call me eomma from now on, okay?” she said, patting your shoulder.

Mrs. Hong’s remark made you feel honored, like you actually meant something to her. You gave her a warm smile in return, then made your way toward the food. You headed straight toward the tteokbokki, without acknowledging Jisoo as you passed him. You still felt guilty for yelling at him a few nights ago. Deep down you knew that under his smile too, that he was thinking about what happened too.

As you picked your food, you could feel Jisoo standing behind you. “Hey,” he greeted you. “Did you help make all this food?” You kept a blank expression on your face and just nodded. “Impressive.” He followed you as you worked your way around the table to put more food on your plate. “Wait, since when did you learn how to make Korean food?” He tried looking at you but you wouldn’t look at him back. You didn’t even answer his question.

He wondered why you were being so hard on him. He thought you would have soften up by now after the couple days you haven’t seen each other. It didn’t feel right seeing you like this. You never ignored him. He tried to think of something that might make you blush since that always happened to you easily. “Uh, you look nice today,” he complimented you, waiting for it to change your expression, but you were still left un-phased. “So you’re gonna play the quiet game? I see how it is,” he said playfully.

“Aren’t you going to eat?” you suddenly snapped at him.

The sass struck him in the face like a frisbee. He thought he was going to be ignored by you all day. “Oh y-yeah,” he said, taking a plate for himself. He smiled after you finally opened up to him, even though he knew you were still salty.

"Is everything okay?" Mrs.Hong asked from behind.

"Yes, everything's just fine Mrs. Hong," you said with a smile.

"Eomma~" she corrected you. "Eom-ma, say it."

"Eomma~" you said embarrassingly, not wanting to see how Jisoo reacted at all. Mrs. Hong smiled and pat your shoulder.

"Your girlfriend's so cute!" she told Jisoo in Korean before walking off. Jisoo looked at you and saw that you were still trying to ignore him as you got your food.

“Wahh, everything looks so good. I don’t know where to start!” You heard him say obnoxiously. This was just another one of his attempts to make you smile or at least get some words out of your mouth again. "There's a lot of food that I haven't see before. Which one should I try?"

“Try the spicy udon noodles,” you told him.

“Ooh, is that the one that you made?” Instead of replying to him, you grabbed one of the noodles with your chopsticks and stuffed it in his mouth. "Mmm, this is good!!!" After a few seconds you saw his reaction suddenly change. "AHHH HAAHAH HOT HOT HOT!" You snorted at him as he ran to wash his tongue in the sink. When he came back, he glared at you as you tried to hide your grin and said, "you saw that coming didn't you."

After you both finished getting your food Jisoo asked you, “Hey, you should sit in the living room with all of us."

“Umm, I think I’ll just stay here.

“Come, I’ll introduce you to everyone!” Jisoo offered his hand for you to take, but you shook your head and refused again. Then you heard Jisoo’s dad call out. “Son! Where are you? Everyone wants to talk to you!” You saw Jisoo smile at them and tell them something in Korean before looking at you again.

“They wanna meet you. Will you come with me please?” He tried to take your arm but you pulled it away from him. “Come on _____. Talk to me.” He pleaded, but you didn’t say anything. “_____,” he said your name. “Look at me.” He gave a weak smile when you finally met eyes. He sighed, and with begging eyes he asked “Are you still mad at me?” You looked at him and saw how concerned he looked. You’ve seen him make a lot of faces, but this one was new. The solemnity in his eyes, you could just feel it. But is it real? You questioned yourself.

Jisoo wasn’t going to leave until a word came out of your mouth. You looked away from his intense stare to allow yourself to gather your thoughts.

You admit it. As you thought about how you acted last night, you admit that you overreacted. However, his words kept playing in your head, even until now. “Then why can’t I feel it?”  You didn’t know what he meant. Did he mean physically or emotionally? Either way, it made your heart clench. What if your own boyfriend doesn’t feel the same way you do for him?

When you looked back at him, you were surprised he was able to keep his eyes on you for that long. “_____,” your name rolled off his lips softly. “Please, tell me what’s on your mind?”

You looked at him and finally spoke, “Jisoo, I think we-” but before you could say anything else, you were startled by one of his aunts.

“JISOO-AH! JOIN US!” she obnoxiously yelled across the kitchen in Korean.

“I’ll be there!” he answered them back and then looked at you. “You were saying?”

You attempted to answer him again, only to be interrupted by his aunt another time. “BRING YOUR GIRLFRIEND!”

He chucked, “They really want to meet you.”

“Aw, can I just stay here?” you pleaded.

“Why?” he furrowed his eyebrows at you.

“What if they don’t like me?”

“They will, don’t worry.”

“But what if I embarrass myself?”

“You won’t!”

“What if I embarrass you?”

“You better not!” He glared at you and saw you crack a smile.

“Can I just stay here?” you pleaded once more.

“No, you can’t.” Jisoo grabbed your arm in attempt to make you walk with him, but you wouldn’t let him. He sighed at shook his head at you. Before you knew it, he took your plate from your hands and started walking off with it. Alarmed, you got up from your chair and chased after him. “Hey, what are you doing with my food?”

“It’s the only way I can make you come,” he explained with a goofy grin on his face.

You gave him a look and took your plate back from his hands. “I can hold my own plate,” you sassed at him. He smirked and you suddenly felt him grab your other hand to hold. When he did this, you felt butterflies flutter throughout your whole body. “W-what are you doing?”

“What? I can’t hold my own girlfriend’s hand?” you saw him have that goofy grin on his face again. Though your relationship with Jisoo has always been awkward, he still found ways to make you swoon. Jisoo felt better once he saw your cheeks turn rosy pink, he knew you were starting to warm up to him again (haha). “Don’t be nervous kay?”

“We hold hands all the time, why would I be nervous?” you said, shaking your head at him.

“I meant don’t be nervous when you meet my family,” he told you, letting out a soft giggle. “Just relax,” he whispered before entering the living room full of noisy people who resembled him.

 

You were relieved that most of his relatives only spoke Korean. All you had to do was smile as Jisoo did all the talking. As you watched him communicate with his family in Korean, you were amazed at how well he was able to converse with them. Even though you had minimal knowledge in the language, you could still tell he was pretty good at it for a guy who lived his whole life in the States.

In the midst of him talking, you found yourself imagining how successful he could become in Korea. Going on talk shows and radio shows, walking on the red carpet, travelling all over the world, singing in front of thousands of fans…and then it suddenly hit you. He was going to be thousands of miles away from you.

 “_____?” The echo of Jisoo’s voice snapped you out of your reverie. 


ahhh guys hellooo it's been so long i don't even know how long it's been!

I am so sorry to keep you guys waiting, but thanks for your continuous support for this story. it really gives me purpose to keep writing~

look-out for the next few chapters cuz it's gon be littt lol

please leave a comment about your thoughts so far and share with your friends!

p.s. there's a possibility that I will have to tweak the plot of this story so look out for that :)

p.s.s. love you guys~