chapter five.

When Will You Come Back? (Sequel to WWYWU)

After the concert, you stopped by In N Out because you were starving. You haven’t had anything to eat all day. As you took a bite of your burger, Jisoo took a picture of his food first. You laughed at him. “What?” he glared. “It’s for my Instagram, since you said I don’t post that much,” he sassed. “I’m gonna miss this when I’m gone anyways.” He stuffed an animal fry in his mouth as he uploaded the picture.

tumblr_nt3e4hFexI1tuco5po1_500.png (rip my poor editing)

“You better post more stuff when you go to Korea,” you said before taking a sip of your milkshake.

“Of course, but only IF they let me. I heard the company’s policy is strict.”

“Not if you’re just a trainee,” you said.

“I don’t know. I guess we’ll see.” Jisoo took a bite of his burger before asking, “Do you have Skype?”

“No, why?”

“So we could see each other and stuff," he explained. "It's better than buying a phone card. Just make sure you make one before I leave.”

“Oh yeah…right.” You nodded and thought, does this mean he wants to stay with me? You tried to hide your smile as you chewed on your french fry.

Jisoo noticed you smiling and asked “What is it? Wait, is there something on my face?”

You shook your head. “No,” you giggled.

“Then why are you smiling?” he furrowed his eyebrows at you.

Of course you didn’t want to tell him the real reason, so you just said, “I…I just had so much fun at the concert. It was the best!”

“Yeah I know, you looked like you were having fun,” he laughed and took out his phone. “I had lots of fun too, watching this girl…” he played a video on his phone and showed it to you. It was a video Jisoo took of a girl singing along to Lucifer. The girl had a loud and annoying singing voice. It took a moment for you to realize that the girl was you. Suddenly, your face turned hot in embarrassment.

“Oh my gosh, delete it!” Before you could take his phone from him, he snatched it away.

“No, I’m keeping this,” he chuckled.

“You better not post that!" you snapped and heard him laugh. "Wow, I can’t believe you recorded me. I told you I'm bad at singing,” you covered your face with your Taemin fansign.

“At least your Korean isn’t that bad,” Jisoo added.

“Now you know why I’ll never sing for you.”

“You’re right. I should be the only one singing from now on,” he teased.

“Rude,” you glared and stole a french-fry from him.

 

“Oh gosh, it’s already eleven o’clock?” you said when you saw the time in Jisoo’s car.

“It’s still early. Where should we go next?”

“I don’t know. I’m kinda sleepy,” you yawned.

“Sleeping’s for wimps.”

“Says the guy who slept through senior year,” you pinched his ear.

As Jisoo drove around downtown LA, you both agreed to just go for a walk. You told him you wanted to walk around Koreatown, which was a place full of Korean restaurants, shops, and more. “I’m going to Korea in three days and this is the place you want to walk?” he whined as he opened the car door for you, offering his hand.

“Come on, this is where you first took me,” you explained to him, taking his hand. You remembered this same scenario happening just three months ago, except you were in your cheap prom dress and he was in his pizza guy uniform.

“You’re right. This place does bring back memories.” You held hands as you walked along the sidewalks of Koreatown. Since it was late at night, there were some shady people roaming around the street. Jisoo would pull you closer to him whenever you passed someone suspicious. “Make sure you hold onto your purse. I might not be fit enough to chase the guy if he snatches it away,” he said, making you laugh.

The weather at night was cool and breezy. It felt so refreshing to breathe in the air. “Aren’t you going to miss this?” you asked him, as the light wind blew against your face.

“Definitely,” he sighed. “I can’t imagine what it will be like without you.” You felt your face get warm again. That wasn’t what you meant, but you let him continue anyway. “Who will I walk with in the streets of Seoul? Who’s going to come with me to get Boba? Who will tell me if I have food on my teeth? ______, I’m going to be miserable without you.” He looked at you with wide, panicky eyes. “Wait, why are you looking at me like that?” he asked you.

You smiled. “That wasn’t what I meant, but go on,” you told him.

Jisoo was shocked and suddenly embarrassed. “Oh, what?  I thought you asked if I was going to miss you.”

“No, I was talking about the weather, but never mind,” you chuckled, punching his side.

“Ow,” he stumbled to the side, letting go of you as you laughed at him. At that very second, you thought felt something tug onto your skirt. It wasn’t Jisoo though. He was too busy laughing at the ground to notice a man standing close behind you.

“Nice skirt,” a raspy voice crawled behind your ear. You turned your head and shrieked, making Jisoo realize what was going on.

“Walk faster,” Jisoo told you. Even as you quickened your pace, the man was able to catch up behind you and tug onto the strap of your purse.

“Let go!” you screamed as you pulled your bag with force. You looked at Jisoo who just stood there with his eyes open in shock. “Don’t just stand there!” you screamed at him.

“Your puny boyfriend’s not gonna save ya honey,” the man said, finally snatching the bag away from your grip.

“No!” you screamed, trying to take it back, but he pushed you and tried to get away.

“Hey! Give it back!” Jisoo said in a tone opposite from his usual friendly voice. You found it kind of scary but attractive at the same time. He tried to be tough and cool, like those guys in the dramas, which made you fall for him all over again. The man turned around, but before he could get away, Jisoo blocked him and kicked him once on the leg. The man stumbled for a second but didn’t fall down. He could tell the man was angry at him. “Sorry,” Jisoo apologized to the man. The man just pushed him back on the chest. At this time, you approached the man once again and kneed him in the balls, making him fall to the ground this time. You then took your bag back, grabbed Jisoo’s hand, and started running. After a short while, making sure no one was behind you guys, you stopped at a park bench and sat down.

“I can’t believe that just happened,” Jisoo said, catching his breath.

You laughed. “Me too. I’m happy I got my bag though.”

“Are you okay? He didn’t hurt you did he?” Jisoo checked your arms and legs for any scratches or bruises. Since it was too dark outside, he used his hands to feel your skin.

“I’m all good,” you assured him, stopping his hands from going any further. “Thanks,” you giggled.

Jisoo smiled back. “You did great. I could have done better though,” he said, rubbing his chest.

“But you tried!” you said patting his back. “By the way, you’re not supposed to apologize to criminals,” you chuckled.

“I don’t know why I said that. Maybe cuz I’ve never hit anyone like that before.”

“But you did…for me,” you met eyes with him and smiled. “You okay? Need some water or something?”

“No, I’m fine,” he said, still catching his breath from running. “Told you I wasn’t fit enough for this.” You laughed at him and rested your head on his shoulder. “I think I remember this place,” he said as he observed his surroundings. “This is where we sat down that one time wasn’t it?”

“Oh yeah. This is the park where we ate BBQ and tteokbokki that same night,” you said, remembering as well. “Oh, and those are the swings we sat on!”

“Wow, it seems like it was just yesterday,” Jisoo sighed and closed his eyes as the breeze blew on his face. “Your right_____. The weather is pretty nice.” He tried to soak in the moment as much as possible again, with the wind blowing on his face and you by his side. “Sing me a song,” you heard him say softly.

“My throat still hurts from the concert. I think I’ve sung enough for the night,” you told him. Before he could respond, you suddenly remembered something. “That’s right. Since you heard me sing, you know what that means…” You lifted your head from his shoulder and turned to face him. He was pretending to sleep again. This was like his way of ignoring you. “Tell me what you said earlier to my dad!” you whined, shaking his leg. “I wanna know!”

He opened one eye. “Why?”

“It was part of the deal!” you exclaimed.

"What do you mean?"

"The deal we made earlier! You said you'd tell me."

Jisoo opened both of his eyes this time and asked you, “What do you want to hear?”

“I just want to know what you said to my dad…about us,” you fluttered your eyelashes at him.

“Why not just ask him? I’m tired,” he yawned.

“I wanna hear it from you, please Jisoo!” you begged, shaking his leg. He chuckled at how desperate you looked.

“Fine,” he sighed. “I just told him how we get along really well. Stuff like that.” After he said this he put his feet up on the bench and laid his head on your lap.

“Is that all you said?” you asked, playing with his hair.

“Yeah, pretty much,” he said. “You look nice at this angle by the way.”

For some reason you didn’t believe him. You were expecting him to say more and perhaps reveal some feeling that he’s never shown before. You thought he did express more to your dad, he just didn’t want to tell you. You were willing to get it out of him though.

When you saw his eyes close, you pinched his ear to wake him back up. “Don’t sleep! I’m not done with you yet.”

Jisoo winced. “What?”

“Is that really all you told my dad? Why was he acting so weird earlier then? Why does it seem like he trusts you with my life now?”

“I don’t know. We just got to know each other better, I guess.”

You still didn’t believe him. “So you told him we get along well. What did he say when you told him that?”

“He seemed to believe me. He actually didn’t seem so scary today.”

“I wonder why he was in such a good mood then. I thought he would ask you stuff like ‘have you done this or that’.”

“What do you mean? What would he ask?”

“Like if we’ve held hands yet...or if we’ve been to the beach together...stuff like that, you know?” you explained.

Jisoo nodded and added, "Or if we kissed yet?"

Your body froze after hearing him say that. “H-he asked you that?”

Jisoo laughed. “No, but if he did, we would have been safe anyway.” You avoided eye contact as he smiled looking at you. You knew what he said was true and the only reason why he brought it up was to mess with you. Jisoo lifted his head back up from your lap and sat his back straight up on the bench again. “_____,” he said your name, but you didn’t turn your head when you answered him.

“Yes?”

“_____, look at me.”

You slowly turned your head and faced a handsome-looking boy, who also happened to be your boyfriend, staring straight at you. “What do you think of me?” he asked you.

You were taken aback by his sudden question. “Um…you know.”

“No, I don’t,” he shook his head. “I actually can’t tell if you have serious feelings for me.”

You felt a sensation in your chest that burned after you heard him say that. “What? R-really?”

He nodded. “That’s why I’m asking you now, so that I know before I’m gone. Otherwise, I’m just wasting my time with someone who doesn’t feel the same as I do.”

Suddenly you found it hard to breathe. “Jisoo, you know how I love being with you. You know you’re the only one who I talk to on the phone till 2am or pull all-nighters with watching anime. Even since high school, you’re the only one I’ve ever taken notes for. You know how much I care,” you explained, trying your best not to get emotional. You couldn't believe you had to explain this to him. You thought he knew how much you cared.

“Really?" he looked down and paused. "Then how come I can’t feel it?”

This questioned shot you like a bullet. “Can’t feel it? Seriously? Is it because I haven’t let you kiss me?” you exclaimed.

"No, _____. It's not like that," Jisoo argued, but you didn't let him explain.

“If that’s all you really want from me, then I don’t think we share the same feelings for each other,” you snapped before standing up and walking. Jisoo grabbed your arm and pulled you back.

“Is that the kind of person you think I am? You think that kissing is important to me?”

“Yeah! You’re just like all the other guys! I should have known!” You slid your arm out of his grip and started walking away from him. You never thought you would talk to Jisoo like that, but you did.

“Where are you going?” he followed behind you down the sidewalk, leading back to Koreatown. You quickened your pace and ignored him calling out to you. Your throat started to hurt from holding back your tears. You didn’t want him to see you cry. You just wanted to go home and pretend none of this happened.

 

A few minutes later you made it to Jisoo’s car alone, without him by your side. You pulled on the passenger’s side door, but it was locked. He had the keys with him. You looked out to see if he was close by, but you didn’t see anyone. At this time, you wiped your tears away and tried to forget everything. After a few more minutes, he still wasn’t there. You remembered how exhausted he was after running a few blocks earlier. You looked out again and started to worry when you didn’t see anyone. “Jisoo!” You heard your voice echo.

Before you could shout his name again, you were startled by someone who walked out of a dark alleyway. “Quiet! I’m trying to get some shut eye!” The person emerged from the darkness and made eye contact with you. You gasped when you realized it was the same guy from earlier. He recognized you too. “Oh, it’s you again,” he said in his raspy voice, walking closer toward you. “Did your wimpy boyfriend leave you, honey?" You were speechless, you couldn't even scream. "Well, don’t worry. I’ll take care you from now on.”  You saw him smirk and raise his arm. You took a few steps backward and bumped into something. You turned around and saw Jisoo, who without hesitation put himself between you and the man. “Aw, I guess your boyfriend isn’t a coward after all," the man said when he saw him.

“Leave her alone!” Jisoo raised his arms, in effort to protect you. You were surprised he was actually brave enough to do this for you. You thought it was very gentleman-like but still quite peculiar. In reality, Jisoo had no idea what he was doing and was scared out of his mind. He definitely found him a lot scarier than your father. You looked over his shoulder as the man chuckled and took a few steps toward him. You felt Jisoo’s body start to shake.

“What are going to do? Kick my leg again?” the man scoffed.

“Please, just leave us alone. We’re sorry about earlier.” Jisoo said nervously.

The man just looked at him and lit a cigarette. After exhaling smoke in front of both of your faces, he reached his hand out to touch your hair, but Jisoo stopped him by clenching onto his wrist. The man glared at him angrily, but before he could do anything, Jisoo spun him around and kicked his back with all the force in his body. You covered your mouth in shock. “Oh my gosh! It actually worked!” Jisoo said, astonished and proud of himself. He’s never felt so alive. The man fell on his knees and shouted curse words at him. Jisoo turned to you and laughed at himself for actually round housing someone like that. Once you saw the man get back on his feet behind Jisoo, you knew there wasn’t any time for laughing. You yanked Jisoo’s arm and started running again.

 

Jisoo quickly started his engine and drove off before the man could catch up with you guys. “Man, what a rush! That was awesome!” Jisoo said, still catching his breath. You didn’t respond. You were impressed, but you weren’t in the mood to ‘celebrate’. “I was so scared he was going to pull out a knife or something. It’s a good thing he didn’t though!” you heard him laugh, but you didn’t say anything. He glanced at you and saw how you weren’t as amused as he was. He put a hand on your thigh and asked, “You okay? You aren’t hurt are you?” You shook your head and stared out the window, away from him. “_____, what’s wrong?”

You crossed your arms and mumbled. “I don’t want to talk about it right now.”

Jisoo sighed and remembered what happened earlier at the park that made you run away from him. He didn't understand why you were mad at him, but he was still upset about what kind of guy you accused him of being. He thought you knew him better than that. He took his hand off your leg and focused on driving.

The whole ride was silent until you made it to your house. “Thanks for the ride,” you said in monotone before stepping out of his car. Jisoo didn’t respond. Out of all the things he’s done for you that night, he was surprised you only thanked him for the ride. He felt hurt because it just wasn’t like you to act that way toward him. After waiting for a response and getting none from him, you got out and closed his car door without saying goodnight like you both usually would. He’d usually wait for you to get inside the house before leaving, but this time he drove off right before you even made it to your doorstep.


Comments/thoughts/concerns? Let me know below!

Sorry again for any spelling/grammar errors. Thanks for being patient guys!.