Stormy Weather: Chapter Three (Chen)

The Stone Chronicles: Rise of the Undead
Please log in to read the full chapter

They watched as Rhoslyn strode away confidently, then studied each other curiously for a moment. Just as Chen began to speak, Kaya suddenly gasped and smacked herself on the forehead.

"I've been standing here chatting, and I have so many weapons to complete. I'm happy to speak with you about whatever you like, but would you mind doing so while I work?"

"Oh, of course-"

"It's just, I have so much to do and-"

"I understand completely."

He followed her inside and explained the need to find the origin of the stone she placed into Rhoslyn's sword, taking care to stand where he would be well out of the way.

"I see," she said thoughtfully. "I have some unfortunate news for you. That stone was left with the belongings of the man who left me this shoppe.'

Chen's expression fell. 

"Oh, that is very unfortunate."

"However, I may be able to ask around a bit for you. It will be difficult given the current situation in the village, but I'd still like to try and help, if I may."

His expression changed instantly, and he flashed a smile that she found almost cat-like.

"That would be very kind of you! Really, any infomation you could give us would help."

"Do you think you could come back again in a couple of days? I may be able to learn something by then."

“Of course, as long as you don’t mind me coming around and interrupting your work.”

She laughed.

“I would be disappointed if you didn’t. What I mean is, a distraction from work will be welcome.”

He smiled again, more slyly this time. Very cat-like indeed, she thought.

 

 

Rhoslyn soon returned, and the pair said their goodbyes and began the long walk back to the cottage. 

"Did Kaya provide you with any useful information?" 

He shook his head.

"No, I'm afraid not. She's going to do her best to ask around the village for us, though. I'm going to return in a couple of days, hopefully she can tell us something helpful by then."

"I'm sorry, Chen."

"Someone must know something. I just have to keep believing that. How about you? Did you accomplish what you came for?"

"Yes, I did. Unfortunately, that means that I'm going to have to return to the village tomorrow and resume my duties. I supposed as much."

"Do you really want to? With everything going on, I'd be concerned for your safety. Xiumin won't be happy about it."

"I'm not happy about it myself, but it's my duty as a knight to defend the village. It's what I've trained to do, and I'm certainly one of the better fighters left in Cholerny. I'm also curious about the men who have come to help us. Something about them isn't right. I need to keep a keen eye on them, and I need to be in the village to do that."

"I see. Well, I don't think my brother will allow you to return on your own."

Rhoslyn smiled.

"I suppose I can deal with that."

 

 

Chen's brothers did not take the lack of new information well.

“How can she not know anything? She made the sword!”

“She doesn’t know, Chanyeol. The man who owned the blacksmith

Please log in to read the full chapter