Blood on Our Hands: Chapter Three (Lay)

The Stone Chronicles: Rise of the Undead
Please log in to read the full chapter

"There's no doubt that they've returned because of our foolishness. They were too strong to be completely destroyed, even at the time, everyone knew it. But still, once we turned the tide of the conflict, we became lazy and overconfident."

She lowered her head.

"That includes myself."

“We were successful in driving them out once, but we are not as strong as we were then. I don't think we've ever been able to recover completely, if I'm being truthful. We lost so many good people. Also, as I'm sure you've guessed, our relationship with the werewolves deteriorated completely afterwards. I don’t think that anyone wants to believe that the same thing could ever happen again, but I don’t think there’s any use in denying it any longer."

Beatrice looked at her mother in disbelief. She looked at her daughter and sighed sadly.

"I'm sure it goes without saying that the outcome of the conflict would have been very different if not for the involvement of the wolves. It’s my belief that the ghouls would have destroyed the village and growing stronger, would have continued their rampage throughout the countryside. Some of the more powerful members of the community, however, wanted nothing to do with the wolves after all was said and done. With nothing to fight for, they became an inconvenient eyesore and a reminder of just how much we had lost. Much of the material goods promised for their assistance was never given, but what’s worse, they were chased out of the village like vermin and their ability to come and go as they pleased was revoked indefinitely. After that, they scattered. Many packs went their separate ways, unfortunately."

She glanced at Lay, but could not read his expression. He gripped the book very tightly. 

"That never sat right with me, or with many of the other villagers, but I was young and selfish and focused solely on fighting my own battle. At that time, women were given the freedom to fight alongside their friends and loved ones to protect the home that we al held dear. When peace returned, the so-called learned men of the council not only chased away the wolves, but they took many rights away from their own villagers, when we’d already lost so much. Women were shamed back into the home where the council felt that they belonged. Like many weak men throughout history, I guess the level of automony we had over own lives and bodies made them uncomfortable."

"We were instructed to tell the younger children that many lives were lost in a battle with bandits, but that’s not true in the least. Unfortunately, the fight to destroy the ghouls left many with broken families. There were many who didn't feel right the direction the village was headed, and the way the wolves were treated, but you have to understand. There was so much loss. So much grief. We lost so many. Broken spirits make an excellent target for those in charge who crave absolute power."  

She shook her head.

"I'm not sure if this means anything to you, but the wolves that fought so bravely beside us were lead by two that posessed highly unusual powers that are very much like the ones that you have."

He looked up quickly.

“Oh yes. It was a man and a woman, if I remember correctly.”

The color drained from his face. Beatrice went to him, putting a hand on his shoulder.

“Lay? Are you feeling alright?”

Flashes of long forgotten memories were racing through his head.

"I'm sorry, yes. I'm fine."

Beatrice's mother interrupted.

“Now, pay attention, both of you. I haven't yet finished my story. Of the two wolves, the woman is known to you, Beatrice.”

"What?"

"My child, Brunhild is a werewolf."

"Brunhild? The grocer?!"

Her mother nodded.

“It’s a sad story, really. She cut ties with the werewolves in order that she not be parted from the man that she loved, and she’s lived here ever since.  Surprisingly, she was allowed to stay. Maybe the council were too ashamed to force her out after all she'd done for the village. Or possibly they were afraid of pushing the villagers too far. She lived her for years, but unfortunately, when the blood sickness returned, she fled the village and took her family with her. I have no idea where they are now, but I believe her son may in the mountains, training in the village guard.”

The amount of information that her mother just gave her made her head hurt. Beatrice rubbed her temples.

"I had always expected that you were keeping secrets from me, Mother. Since the sickness came to our village, even more so, but this is a bit more than I was expecting."

Please log in to read the full chapter