Backwater Blues: Chapter Two (Suho)

The Stone Chronicles: Rise of the Undead
Please log in to read the full chapter

Suho had been walking around the small house, admiring the flowers for several minutes before he realized that someone was moving about inside. He contemplated returning to the manor, but wasn't ready leave the garden or to see Constance again, so he decided that introducing himself would be the proper thing to do.

“I’m sorry to disturb you, but may I rest in your garden for a short while?”

Esme tore out of her house surprisingly quickly, clapping her gloved hands together, dirt flying about freely. Though her face was also dirty, Suho was immediately caught off guard by her bright and friendly expression. 

"I'm sorry, miss. Are you the grounds keeper here?"

“I am."

She tilted her head slightly.

"Ah! You’re to be the the new lord here soon, aren’t you? I apologize for the state I'm in, but I’m really very pleased to meet you, my lord.”

He winced.

“When Constance isn’t about, just Suho would be preferred.”

She bowed comically.

“Just Suho, then. What on earth brings you wandering into my personal garden? I hope I haven’t made any problems for you at such an important time. I’ve finished my duties for the day, unless I'm mistaken.”

He shook his head vigorously.

“Oh, please don’t misunderstand, I didn’t mean to disturb you. It’s just, the flowers around your quarters are nothing short of stunning.”

Esme instinctively puffed her chest out proudly. Since she’d come to the large manor, no one had taken any interest in her personal garden. Her future employer doing so was quite a compliment, though she wouldn't likely admit it.

“I've always been fond of gardens where the flowers are allowed to grow more freely; to forge their own path through the soil." 

She was visibly surprised. 

“You favor a more wild garden? If you don't mind me saying so, you look like a person who would prefer a more orderly and well-manicured floral arrangement.”

He clasped his hands behind his back and leaned toward her playfully.

“Yes, well, let that be a lesson to you; looks can sometimes be deceiving.”

"Frankly, when I've seen you walking about the grounds with the Mistress, you always look so stern. I though you were about to reprimand me, which proves your point exactly, I'm afraid."

They both chuckled.

"I've always found that flowers have the unique ability to reflect the nature of those who nurture them. Therefore, I knew that as soon as I laid eyes on them that whoever grew them had excellent character.“

“Oh? How so?”

“The arrangement of the garden is open and welcoming; comfortable but not boring; wild, but with a sort of intention. As I said, your garden is nothing less than stunning.”

Esme felt suddenly embarrassed and lowered her eyes slightly. Suho noticed her discomfort and changed the subject tactfully.

"I know I must have burdened you quite a bit by coming here, but it’s been some days since I’ve had the opportunity to relax."

"Of course, lord; ah, Suho. Please make yourself comfortable.”

She retreated into the house and returned with two large mugs full of a fragrant liquor, offering him one.

"Dandillion wine, I made it myself."

He took a drink and smiled.

"This is precisely what I needed. Thank you."

They spoke very comfortably for a while, before Suho furrowed his brows and looked at her curiously.

"I've been wondering, what brought you all the way out here? The nearest village is many miles away. There are only werewolves around here, so I know you mus

Please log in to read the full chapter