Revelations

The Guardians

Street lamps lit up the bus stop my new friend and I sat at. We sat in silence after finishing the letter he wrote. It was a lot to take in all at once and only guilt was building inside of me the more reality sunk in. Just before I received the letter, I was only a normal girl studying in the library. My interests were only a hobby and I was nothing more than just a loyal fan. Before all of this, I only knew Exo as an idol group—but now, after reading the letter resting in my lap, it was all different. 

 

[10 minutes ago...]

 

"You...." I stared up at the handsome, tall man who just removed his mask. "You're..." Eyebrows furrowed, eyes nearly popping out of my head and a finger pointed at his face—his name was at the tip of my tongue, but it wouldn't come out. I don't know why, but I kind of just...stopped functioning completely.

 

I stood there in the same position for quite some time, completely frozen. Even the man noticed my shock. His eyes went from sad to concerned as he waved his hand in front of my face to get me to respond, but I was locked in some sort of weird trance. "Hey..? Hey... are you okay? Hello?" He gulped as his wave gradually became more sporadic. 

 

His entire body suddenly went tense as he turned to scan the area like he was looking for help. Heat surrounded me and I noticed his entire position changed. Bending his knees slightly, a foot behind him and two open fists. I realized he was not looking for help, but rather looking for someone... anticipating someone.

 

I wasn't afraid, I was just shocked. I couldn't say anything, I wasn't thinking of anything either, I wasn't even sure if I was even breathing. As a matter of fact, I wasn't breathing, I was suffocating! ...BREATHE! I silently demanded and with that, I snapped out of it and took a deep breathe. It almost knocked me backwards, but he grabbed my arm before I could fall and pulled me closer to him. His hands were not as hot as they were earlier, for the moment. Once I regained balance, I looked up at him and we stared at eachother. I don't know if I was blushing because of the heat or because of this close proximity. His ears turned a bright red and the blinding heat in hands returned.

 

"Ow! Ow ow ow!!" I screamed and pushed him away as I rubbed the spots where he held me. His eyes were wide opened as he stumbled backwards apologizing. "Oh! Oh... I'm sorry! I'm so sorry! Ugh! I'm such an idiot! I hurt you... I'm so sorry. Are you okay?" He said as he cautiously approached me.

 

I giggled, it was kind of cute. "It's okay, it's okay. I understand. Don't worry, I'm okay!" I insisted trying to comfort him. He rubbed the back of his head with an embarrassed expression on his face.

 

"Are you sure? Should we go to the hospital? I know someone who could fix that for you, we could go see him." Pointing a finger behind him at nothing and no one in particular. "Seriously! I'm okay! No need!" I giggled and smiled brightly at him. His face turned a bright red and the corners of his lips rose.

 

"So..." I started, wanting to change the subject. "...you wrote me this letter, huh?" I asked in an almost teasing manner. The slight smile on his face turned into a smirk as he glances at the little red envelope in my hand. "Should I read it now?" Taunting him.

 

His eyebrows raised as he caught onto my teasing. "Well, I guess. Sure, if you must." He said nonchalantly as he turned his head upwards and to the side. Not letting me win over him. I walked over to the bus stop nearby and sat down. He almost didn't notice that I wasn't standing in front of him anymore, but he quickly followed and sat down before me. He really is competitive.

 

I tore open the envelope and the glimmer of clean white paper made me blush. Is this really a confession? I've never gotten one before... The thought alone was exhilirating. I looked up at the man. His eyes still on the envelope. He looked like an excited puppy waiting for a treat, but when he noticed me, he went back to acting all chic and uninterested. I shook my head and laughed as I reverted my attention back on the letter. 

 

"My favorite Lullaby,

This is a letter I've written and re-written hundreds of times by now. Fought the internal battle of whether I should confess or obey the Rules, but love triumphs. I've tried to find the right combination of words to accurately express my feelings but it's difficult—because I know your heart and I know that the person it belongs to... is not me. I am perpetually stuck with a silver medal. It pains me everyday as I wake up and see the image of your loving face looking towards someone else. Towards someone else that I, myself, treasure as well. That someone else... reciprocates your heart. The jealousy inside of me ignites with the heat of a thousand suns, I admit, but my love is 10x more intense. These words do not come easy for me, but they are sincere. 

My angel, my sweet sweet lullaby—whose smile is more beautiful than the bouquet you hold, whose laughter is the sweetest song. Whose love is rare and forbidden to me—not only one, but in two ways. Is it too late to win your heart? Is it too late for you to come to me? Or have you already crowned your king? 

 

Please look at me. Please let my fire burn for you. 
 

Park Chanyeol"


I woke up feeling like I slept for days. Not exactly feeling sick, but not exactly feeling well-rested either. I grabbed my phone to check the time and had 48 missed calls—all from mother dearest, of course. I laid in bed listening to the twelve voicemails she left me and started to notice a weird trend. "Message received July 2nd at 9:43pm... Message received July 3rd at 11:27am... Message received July 3rd 2:05pm... July 4th... July 5th...." What? I hung up and looked at the date on my phone. July 6th!?! What is this?!! How is it the 6th already!? It was only the 2nd yesterday?

 

I tried getting up but my body was sore and stiff. Ugh! I was so frustrated and even more confused. I just couldn't understand how I slept for three days straight. I tried to recall the last thing I could remember before I fell asleep, but my memory was fuzzy. I looked through my phone for clues, but there was nothing out of the ordinary so I slammed my phone onto the bed out of frustration.

 

Everything in my room looked exactly the same, the ceiling fan above me oscilating as always. The afternoon sun peaking through the blinds, the window slightly opened letting in the breeze, the other side of the bed still untouched. My eyes now fixed on that spot of the bed. I was starting to remember something... Yixing—Zhang Yixing was there! It was hard to tell if that was just a dream I was remembering, but it felt so real. I remembered my favorite spot on the mountain, I remembered the edge of the cliff, I remembered the big bright moon. I remembered I wasn't alone... Was all of that real?

 

I was propped up in bed trying to sort out my memories from dream and reality when a tray of food floated into my room followed by a slim and tall broad-shouldered man covering his eyes. I watched in shock as the tray landed in my lap and the lid removed itsself to unviel the steaming pot of ramyun and poorly assembled peanut butter and jelly sandwhich on the side. My jaw dropped as I looked down at the food and back towards the man.

 

"Are you dressed?" He spoke in a calm, slightly annoyed voice. I jumped at his sudden question. "E-excuse me?" I asked hesitantly.

 

He let out a long sigh. "I said, are you dressed? I can't introduce myself if you're laying there , can I?"

 

I quickly looked down and I was wearing my most modest set of pajamas— a onesie, as a matter of fact. That's when I noticed that underneath the onesie, I still had the same clothes I was wearing when I was on the mountain with Yixing. "Of course, I'm not !" I hissed slightly offended as I grabbed the blanket to cover my upper body.

 

"Good." He removed his hand from his face, looked at me and smirked, and began to casually introduced himself. "As you probably already know, I'm Sehun." He reached out a hand. I thought he was trying to shake mine, but he grabbed half of the sandwhich off the tray instead and sat down in a chair nearby.

 

"I'm here... because Xing hyung... had an urgent...mission... he had to... take care of and blah blah blah." He explained in between bites as he enjoyed the sandwhich. All I could do was stare speechlessly.

 

"Basically...Xing hyung put you to sleep on the mountain...with the intention of waking you up the next morning..." He paused to peanut butter off his fingers. "...but I guess he used too much of his power and it apparently knocked you out for a few days."

 

He looked up at you. "Don't worry...that happens to...weak mortals, don't feel too bad." Was that an insult?

 

He got up, pointed a finger upward and continued. "Hence! Why I am here!" He headed towards the other half of the sandwhich, but I slapped away his hand. "Ow... is that any way to treat the Guardian who has been taking care of you for the past three days?" 

 

I ignored him and decided to just pig in. He watched me eat in disgust as I ate the entire pot of ramen and downed the water bottle. He was sitting in the chair situated at the foot of my bed. He was leaned all the way forward with his hands propping up his face as he studied you. "What? I haven't eaten in 3 days!" I scowled.

 

"Hm.. it's not that...Yixing hyung just said you were supposed to be an Angel—but I don't see it." I grabbed a pillow and threw it straight for his face, but he held up his hands in defense and the pillow stopped midway and was floating in between us. We simultaneously bursted out in laughter and the bickering ended.

 

After we shared a good laugh, I asked. "Sehun... I thought your ability was wind?" 

 

"Ah~ well... that's what Headquarters tells the public, but our leader says it's for the best because if others knew about our real abilities then we'd lose the element of surprise. Sounds stupid to me—I wish headquarters didn't make me sound like a wuss..." He mumbled the last sentence. "Anyways! My abilities are much more complicated than just simply creating wind. If I had to explain it more accurately, I am a master at air manipulation."

 

I didn't really understand so I squinted at him. He rolled his eyes and continued, "It's not like telekinesis if that's what you're thinking. I can do a wide range of things, from manipulating the air in an enclosed space or around specific items, to increasing or decreasing the air pressure. Which is why it seems like I can control objects with my mind, but it's really only just controlling the air around it."

 

"That's awesome!" I screamed with widened eyes. The volume in my voice increased and I began spitting out questions. "So all of your powers are slighty different? I mean Exo... you're all Guardians, right? What about Yixing? How are his powers different?"

 

His face went flat again at my excitement. "I know I'm awesome, but please calm down." I scoffed, but decided to listen and settled down.

 

"Well as you know, Xing hyung is a healer... and Headquarters only make him seem like he heals stuff and brings wilting flowers back to life, but that's not the case." I noticed he got annoyed every time he mentioned Headquarters. "Yes, Yixing is a healer. He has the ability to heal things he can get his hands around, but it wears him down and will need to recharge between healings. Not like the small one's, but like... let's say one of us lost a finger or something like that—that's when he has a cool down period." I shook my head as he explained. "But what's really cool about Yixing hyung is that any wound or ailment he has healed.. he can undo it!" Sehun excitedly explained and waited for my response.

 

I thought about it for a while before I asked, "So... what did he do to me that knocked me out?" 

 

"Do you not know what healing is?" I wasn't sure if his question was rhetorical or not so I didn't respond. "Healing is cell manipulation! He rapidly speeds up the healing process by a trillion times the regular speed!" He had this annoyed tone like he was explaining common knowledge. "Which means he could rapidly decrease the production of cells in your body... he basically made you faint by lowering your blood pressure and increased the melatonin in your system! Duhhhh." 

 

I rolled my eyes again, but it made a lot of sense now. No wonder I was knocked out for so long. I've never even taken a sleeping pill in my life so an increase of melatonin surely would've knocked me out. "But why didn't he just wake me up the next morning?" I asked. 

 

"You don't listen, do you? He was going to, but like I said he had to leave! He's part of the Rare Four, you know? He's in high demand!" He proudly stated.

 

"The Rare Four? What's that? Wait Sehun... won't you get in trouble for being here and telling me all this? I thought Guardians had to obey Rules?" I suddenly grew concerned for Sehun since Yixing emphasized the Rules so much and how forbidden all of this was.

 

"Don't worry. Our leader doesn't even know I'm here. Plus Xing hyung isn't the only one breaking the Rules..."