Lights

The Guardians

The next morning, I rolled towards the center of the bed facing the window as sunlight warmed my room. My eyes still shut as the light beamed brightly on my face, it felt like a soft hand caressing my cheek. A light breeze blew through the window and the wind carried the sweetly scented after-the-rain air that made me unintentionally smile. I was suprisingly calm after what had happened the night before. I wondered if it were even real to begin with, but either way, I felt at peace.

 

I started to daydream about who it could've been, who could've been sending these messages. A part of me felt like it was some sort of elaborate roleplay, but how would they know so much? Shim Changmin... or maybe Kim Soohyun? Oh, I know! Won Bin!!! Pfft...yeah right. My daydreaming continued as I imagined this person laying beside me, facing me, watching me sleep—tucking loose hairs behind my ear. Actually, I could almost feel it... I slowly opened my eyes and I swear I could actually see it—see someone! My vision was still adjusting to the bright room and the sunlight in my eyes so I blinked a few times and within those blinks, I saw him smile! When my vision was clear, he was gone. 

 

Saturday passed as it normally would: breakfast, grocery shopping, cleaning, lunch, sit on the couch and watch tv, dinner. Another eventful weekend I joked to myself. The sun began to set through the blinds and I wondered if the anon would come back tonight. It'd be nice if they did. I tried to remember the last time I felt excited talking to someone—the last time I was actually interested in someone—aside from falling in love with Exo. It'd been so long since my last relationship ended and even longer since I started dating. It's not that I'm opposed to the idea of dating, but I wasn't looking either.

 

I became reminiscent and looked through old photos and videos on my laptop. Mostly memories with friends and family... until I got to a folder labeled "Do Not Open." I buried this folder so deep in my computer, I thought I'd never come across it, but there it was—taunting me.  Before I even considered opening it, the contents of the folder had already filled my head. I was consumed with mixed emotions. The happiest times I spent with him were all hidden away in this folder, but they were vibrantly replaying in my head. I smiled as tears filled my eyes, but as the history of our relationship played on—the happy memories began to fade and the sad memories became overwhelming. Frustrated with myself, I slammed my laptop shut not wanting to get any more emotional than I already was.

 

Times like these were always the most difficult. I was never quite sure what to do with myself now that I was in between terms at school and lived alone. My friends were taking summer classes so I couldn't spend much time with them anyway. After the trip down memory lane, the upbeat and chipper mood of the day died down to a very solemn one. In fact, I had forgotten all about last night because of how emotional I was just moments before. I decided to get some air to clear my head. The sun had just reached the horizon so there was plenty of time to head to my favorite spot to watch the sunset. There was an area on the mountain near my apartment complex that I frequent. Only a three minute hike up the mountain is a rock formation that is perfect to sit and watch the sunset. I always thought it was a perfect place for couples to go, but I didn't want to share this place with anyone. I wanted to keep it a secret. My secret. 

 

Since I always had my phone with me in case of emergencies, I pulled out the headphones from my pocket, stuck an earbud in my ear and my ballads playlist. I wasn't feeling romantic or anything—I just wanted something mellow and soothing to listen to while I stared out at the city below me. Everyone loves to watch the sunset then be done with it, but my favorite part is what happens after. The sun dipped below the horizon and the city awoken... the soft lights from the buildings and lamp posts filled the air as if they were actual stars on earth. The night is when I thrive, I close my eyes and take a deep breath of the clear air. Moonlight by Exo-K filled my ears as I welcomed the moon. Unlike the night before, the sky's were clear and the moon that was slowly ascending illuminated the dark black sky.

 

I could spend hours there watching the moon rise to it's highest position if I could, but the wind began to pick up again. On the other side of the city I saw lightning shoot across the sky. Another thunder storm, I suppose. I decided to head back down before it got worse when I heard a threatening crack behind me. What was that? Is someone there? An animal? The phone on my lap lit up—a text message from an anonymous number.

 

"Do not move, my angel!"

 

Not a moment later a gust of wind slammed onto my back. I shut my eyes and held my breathe. I wasn't sure if I should turn around or not, but I decided to listen to the text I just recieved. It terrified me not knowing what was happening but I obeyed. There was a silent struggle behind me as dirt and rubble was tossed around. Moments later a flash of light lit up the area and I heard a pack of coyotes retreat farther and farther down the mountain. Everything happened so quickly and I wasn't exactly sure what that everything was but I felt safe again. Whatever it was... had saved me. Whoever it was... was there.

 

"Is someone there?" I whispered cautiously, not sure if danger was still near.

 

At first, only silence replied until a soft voice filled my ears. "Yes, my Angel, I am here. But you must not turn around."

 

I froze. The hairs on my neck stood pin straight. I wasn't sure if I was afraid or shocked or confused or a combination of everything. I collected my thoughts and asked, "W-who are you? How did you find me?"

 

"I cannot tell you that, but I have always known about you." He sternly replied. I listened to his voice. He sounded so familiar. I know this voice.

 

"Wait what? W-why can't you tell me? It's you, isn't it? The one whose been sending me messages. Right? It's you... my guardian, right?" The tone of my voice became slightly elevated in excitement.

 

He answered hesistantly. "Y-yes. Yes, that's right. I am your guardian. And as you know, I cannot reveal myself to you. There are rules and this is forbidden."  Again with this forbidden stuff, I thought to myself. I grew frustrated looking down trying to figure out what this all meant until I heard him step closer. 

 

"Wait! Don't come any closer!" I demanded. There was still doubt in my mind about whether I could trust this man's words or not. He immediately moved back. I could hear the shock in his voice as he spoke.

 

"Forgive me! I am sorry... It was not my intention to frighten you. It is just...." He trailed off into thought.

 

I raised an eyebrow and curiously asked, "It's just what?" Time felt like it stood still for a breif moment and the air around us seemed thinner. The foliage seemed to breathe louder than any other living thing. I took a deep breath waiting for a reply.

 

"It is just that... this is the first time we have ever spoken. The first time you have known of my presence." He paused not sure if he should continue. "I... there has been many times I have wanted to talk to you. Many things I have wanted to say."

 

A million thoughts passed through my mind and I was having trouble trying to comprehend everything all at once. This feeling was new, it was exciting and scary all at the same time. I wanted to know what he meant but I didn't know where to start. I felt warmth build up in my cheeks as I recalled his last few sentences.  The breeze rustled the foliage around me and my hair naturally moved around on my shoulders. I turned my head slightly to ask, "What do you want to tell me?"

 

He was silent at first as he arranged his thoughts. "I have always admired you from a far. Especially when you are here—your favorite spot. You stare out looking over the city, admiring all the lights... and I am here—looking over only you and admiring only you." He began getting lost in dialogue as if all his thoughts were spilling out of him.

"You love the lights. The sunlight that presses on your eyes in the morning. The fire that burns in your fireplace or from your favorite amber scented candle. The way the sun paints the sky with warm reds and oranges during sunset. You love watching the city light up below you, street by street, building by building. And your most favored light of all is the moon. The way the moon shines brightly in the dark sky. If only I had the ability of light, you would love me the same way you love the moon. This spot, where I stand, is my favorite spot because I get to gaze upon what I lov—" He stopped himself and silence filled the air.

 


A/N: WHO IS IT!?!?!?!? Any guesses yet? Theories? What do you guys think?!

I was originally going to reveal his identity in this chapter, but it started getting a little too long so now you must wait til tomorrow :) Stay tuned! Also, I'm going to update my other fic with the first chapter! I've only posted the character analyses so far so if you want to read that it's right here <insert shameless promotion here>.