When It Rains, It Pours

The Guardians

A loud pop filled the room and a figure appeared at my door way. "Sehun! We have to go now!" The man was clearly frantic as he strided towards Sehun. Sehun barely got to react as Kai grabbed his collar and teleported out of my room. It happened so fast that I couldn't fully process what had just happened—I was stunned. Sehun and I were in deep discussion just a moment ago and now I was alone.

After fixing up a tall glass of water and fruits, I soaked in a warm much-needed bath trying to organize my thoughts and absorb everything I'd learned in the past few days. It still amazed me that Exo really had powers and their idol boy group visage was merely just a disguise for a greater cause. "A guardian protects the lands. We are tasked with regions and try to maintain the peace within those regions." I could hear Yixing's voice ringing those words in my ears again. So every country they've been to... whether it was for a photoshoot or filming or a concert... they were on missions? What kind of missions? The questions continued to pop up when I'd realized that every bit of news that came out publicly has been propaganda. I didn't necessarily feel betrayed, but the small bit of deception definitely increased my curiousity.

I sat in the bath for a while recounting every event, every schedule, every word Exo has ever done, said, or been involved in. It was interesting... the louder the noise they created, the more happened. So even ...the ex-members? I wanted to dive deeper into it but another thought struck into me like lightning. The thought hit me out of nowhere and made the hairs on my skin stand straight... Did something bad happen when Jongin came earlier? Why didn't I think of this earlier? I jumped out of my tub, wrapped a towel around me, and ran to my phone. 

There were a few new messages from friends, but I was the least bit interested in them at the moment. Was there anything from Yixing? Why did Jongin look so exasperated? How did he know Sehun was even here? I scoured my messages to see if I had anything from him, but there was nothing. I opened up Twitter and Tumblr hoping there'd be some sort of event or schedule the boys were at, but nothing. There has to be some sort of clue as to what's going on right now! I was worried to death and frustration from not knowing and not being able to do anything about it overwhelmed me. 

After a while, I stood up and got dressed just to lay back down and stare at the ceiling fan. I really hope they're okay. My phone lit up at the thought and it was another message from Lulu... 

"Angel! Why aren't you reading my messages? I am coming over now!" 

I wasn't in the mood to socialize right now. Even though Lulu is probably the only friend I have—aside from my older sister, Mimi, who's working in Seoul right now—she can be way too hyperactive sometimes. Plus I was too shaken up by everything that's happened in the past few days. I was writing my reply when I saw the other unread messages.

"Coming over in a bit."
"Sorry I might be late"
"OMFG I HAVE TO TELL YOU SOMETHING"
"SOMETHING HUGE HAS HAPPENED!!!!"
"WHY AREN'T YOU ANSWERING WHERE AR EYOU"
"Angel! Are you okay!?"


Not a minute later the doorbell rang. No way she got here so fast. "Ughhhhhh," I let out a hoarse groan and pulled myself out of bed. "Coming!" I yelled from my bedroom as I trudged my way towards the front door. My phone vibrated in my hand and recieved another text from an anonymous number.

"Do not open the door!!!"

Chills ran through my body and my phone dropped to the floor causing the back cover, battery, and memory card to fly out. That had to be from Yixing... right? Who's at my door? Questions filled my head as I dropped to the ground trying to recover my phone. The door bell rang again, and again, and again and I got more and more flustered.

Tears started to build up in my eyes from fear as I waited for my phone to turn on. The person began banging on the door so I ran back to my room and shut the door. I looked down at my phone to see if I'd gotten another message but there was nothing. It sounded like they were going to knock down the door but a few seconds later there was silence.

I pressed my ear against my bedroom door listening for any movement for a few minutes but was only met with silence, I let out a sigh of relief. They must be gone. I slowly turned the door knob and was greeted by a great flood of water gushing into my bedroom, knocking me to the floor. The stream began to die when I heard foot steps approaching.

"He has broke the rules. He now must suffer the consequences." The voice was thin and insidious. A soaked Suho stood underneath the frame of my bedroom door. His clothes drenched and tattered, his hair dripping a mixture of blood and water. "Love is forbidden. And now he will be punished." 

 


...

Sehun and Kai rushed my limp, lifeless body into what seemed like a private infirmary at a hospital. I felt myself dip in and out of conciousness as Yixing hovered his hands over my chest and I coughed out the river water I nearly drowned in from the restaurant. I was trying to figure out if I was just suffering from a really long and elaborate nightmare or if this was reality. Exo actually having super powers, their leader confessing to me and drowning me in the same day, being rescued by the youngest members, and having an actual healing unicorn heal me,—it all just seemed ridiculous.

Sehun kept speaking to me as I was being moved into a bed, I couldn't feel the stretcher beneath me. In fact, it felt like I was floating in thin air and not being wheeled in. I couldn't quite make out what was being said, but I think Sehun was saying something along the lines of "Don't worry" and "You're going to be alright!"

My eyes began to focus on Sehun's hands as they'd motion to the bed and blankets. He wasn't touching anything...everything just moved on its' own. I blinked my eyes incessantly, but my eyes weren't playing tricks. This was really happening!

I could hear Yixing and Kai's voices. The tone of the conversation was full of worry and concern. It sounded like Kai was telling Yixing about what happened at the hotel restaurant, but I couldn't tell since Sehun was trying his best to keep me awake.

"Hyung! Her head!!" Sehun's eyes widened as he shouted at the appearance of blood. My eyesight blurred as a trickle of blood leaked from my forehead. Yixing hands moved from knee to my head to heal the large cut when a third voice entered sounding the most distraught of them all. It was Chen. My ears began to ring and suddenly I could hear clear as day again. "Yixing! You need to go now! He's going for Angel!" He shrieked to his older counterpart.

Sehun looked up at Yixing and assured him. "Go! We'll look after her!" Yixing's face went pale... He didn't know what to do as he stared at the boys for a few seconds then back at me.

"But her head...I haven't healed Mimi's h—"

"Let's go!" Kai pulled Yixing up and they teleported out of the room.

I lifted my hand to my head and the felt the mixture of cold water and warm blood on my forehead. "Angel...my sister?" I said weakly before the room went black again. 

 


...

"Thanks for walking me, Chanyeol." Chanyeol and I spent a lot of time together after that night at the bus stop. We talked a lot about the Guardians and Kai and he even promised to arrange for us to meet one day. Even though it hurt him, Chanyeol and I became really good friends. 

"Hey... what kind of friend would I be if I let you walk by yourself?" He said bashfully. "So, who are you visiting today?"

"Angel! She's one of my best friends!" I stated proudly. 

Chanyeol lit up. "Ah! I know her!" He stated even more proudly. "Well, I know of her. She's a.... friend of a friend." 

"Wow really!? Small world! Well, she hasn't been answering my calls or replying to my texts lately so I'm a bit concerned." I omitted the part about feeling bad for canceling on her the other day. But I've been hanging out with Exo's Chanyeol! I'm sure she'll forgive me once she hears the news, I optimistically thought to myself.

Chanyeol stopped in his tracks. I didn't notice so I'd walked a few steps in front of him before backtracking. I didn't think much about it and asked, "What's wrong? We're almost there." Pointing up at Angel's building. He wore the very same look on his face as he did the night we when I couldn't breathe.

"Baekhyun... did you hear that?" Chanyeol inquired in a deep low barely audible voice. My face unintentionally contorted and looked around skeptically at his sudden question. Baekhyun? I'm not Baekhyun.

Not a moment later, another voice replied. "I did.. Something's wrong." A light illuminated in the shadows and Baekhyun stepped out from behind us.

My jaw dropped. Baekhyun was there the entire time? Why is Baekhyun here? How long has he been here? How did he get here? He walked towards us. Their eyes fixed on Angel's building. I wasn't sure if I was excited or anxious because the boys were so serious. Was there danger nearby? Were we in danger? Wait... no way. Could Angel be in danger? 

"Let's go..." Baekhyun commanded as he made eye contact with Chanyeol then darted ahead into the shadows. Chanyeol was about to follow when he remembered I was still standing there.

"Lulu, you have to go home. It's dangerous here. You could get hurt." He ordered.

"I don't understand! What's happening? Is Angel okay?" I ranted. I didn't want to leave. Angel is my friend... and so is Chanyeol. I can't just go home! "I'm going with you!" 

"Lulu, please! If there is something wrong, I might not be able to protect you. You have to leave!" He pleaded. His voice trembled. "Please, Lulu!"

His hands firmly holding my arms as he pleaded. I could see the desperation in his eyes, but I couldn't obey. Just like his heart, I couldn't accept leaving them behind. I shrugged off his hold and ran for Angel's apartment. I could hear him grunt in frustration from behind but he quickly followed behind me.

"Just stay behind me!" There was anger in his voice, but I nodded my head in agreement. I'd went against his wishes of not coming with him, I could at least do that much. Not to mention breaking his heart just a few days prior. The stairs were oddly wet and slippery. "Be careful..." He said as he grabbed my waist helping me up the stairs. I could feel the heat rise in his body whenever we made contact.

We arrived at Angel's floor. Baekhyun stood just outside the wide open door looking in. I ran up beside him to see the damage from the flood. "ANGEL!!!!" I screamed as I ran into her disheveled apartment. "ANGEL! WHERE ARE YOU?" We searched the entire apartment for her, but she wasn't there. 

"How did this happen? We're eight stories up, how did only her apartment flood? It's impossible" I tried reasoning, but it just made no sense. Tears started to well up in my eyes. I was absolutely terrified for her. I lost the all strength in my legs and leaned up against a wall to hold me up while Baekhyun and Chanyeol investigated.

Baekhyun clenched a fist as he stood by an open window in Angel's room. "He took her."