Better than nothing

Breakthrough of heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Chapter 2 – Better than nothing

 

 * * * *

 

There was a tang of sickness clinging to the air that took it into the lungs of people with every breath but if there was someone else, it might be normal, not with Jinri, her weak health almost couldn't take it, it was as if life was being out of her just by being there. The place was only marginally clean, nurses ran around, their once white aprons splattered with blood and other fluids that Jinri rather not think about. The nurses had a slightly vacant look about them, much like the doctor who was guiding them to a particular ward of the hospital, they all looked tired, overworked and under paid.

This place was a nun-run hospital to the poor in the country side. Earlier when the policeman who had arrived at the house, he had said that they had found a man fitting Minho description at this hospital. Jinri had tried not to get her hopes up but she still insisted to come and just by a matter of minutes they were making their way traveling down from Seoul to this country side. Everyone had tried to convince her not to go as it wasn't a place for her and now she understood it but even if she knew it wasn't good for her health, she would still insist to come.

"He just woke up a couple of days ago." Said the doctor. "He seems fine though he claims to have no memories at all probably due to the severe contusion he had when he was found. We have been keeping him sedated because he grows too restless otherwise."

Jinri nodded and clung to Mr. Kim, Minho's butler as then they followed the doctor.

"Well, here he is." Said the doctor as they walked into a poorly lit square room and pointed to a bed in the right.

Jinri came closer to the bed and saw a large body sprawled on the small cot, dirty black hair fell over a face that was bruised and swollen, his body was all wrapped up with bandages, especially around his ribs, scrapes and bruises covered most of what was visible of his skin and he smelled of the eter they had used to keep him asleep.

Jinri took her time looking at him. Something in her heart started to stir as she immediately knew that face and even that body. "This is him." Said Jinri though a knot of dread in . "Can I take him to Seoul today? Is there a reason why I can't?"

Doctor gave her a small smile and nodded his consent. "Take him, he's as good as he was going to get here."

"Thank you doctor." Said Jinri with a smile that brought along with tears running down her cheek. She looked back to Minho, lying unconsciously as she took his hand and squeezed it. Although she couldn't stop crying but a wide smile spread across her face as a huge relief flooding over her.

Still unconscious, Minho was taken to Seoul and straight home where Jinri immediately summoned the family doctor. While she waited, Jinri got Minho cleaned up, cutting away the dirty bandages and cleaning his body the best with could with warm, soapy water and a towel. Once he was all clean, he looked even more familiar now.

Dr. Park arrived just as they had settled him in the bed and he checked Minho for over an hour before he started to treat and re-dress his wounds.

"His body will mend." Said Dr. Park. "He's young and strong. I won't have a clear picture of what's going on with his mind until he wakes up and I'd talk to him. And for what I see the trauma he suffered was strong enough to cause amnesia. But if indeed is amnesia there is chance he'll recover his memory, but the mind is a tricky, delicate thing."

"Will he be okay?" Asked Jinri, worry washed all over her face. "I mean, let him admit to the hospital."

Doctor smiled. "Don't worry. He'll be fine. The reason I want him here instead of hospital because the place can possibly give him familiar feeling to get back memories little by little. He isn't as serious as it looks. Anyway, amnesia is the best diagnosis we have, if there is brain damage… he might never recover. At any rate, it's too soon to talk about that. Call for me when he wakes up from the eter stupor."

"I will, doctor." Replied Jinri.

"Keep the wounds dressed and dry, give him the medicine I noted if he develops a fever and give him the usual sickroom fare if he is hungry." Said the doctor and Jinri nodded. He looked at her and sighed softly. "And you take care of yourself, try to rest. Your health is famously bad, don't overtax yourself."

"Thank you doctor." Said Jinri with a small smile. Dr. Park had been her doctor for a while, but her dad didn't like his opinion that sunlight and a little exercise would do well for her heart, so he had been dismissed. But Jinri liked him and he was a very respectful doctor to her.

Jinri escorted the doctor to the door and then returned to Minho's bedside. She sat there, doing nothing but looking down at Minho with a heavy heart. Eventually she fell asleep there, with her head resting against the bed.

 

Minho stayed out cold until the next morning and he woke up, oblivious of Jinri who had remained in the same position all night. He looked around, not recognizing his surroundings, he wasn't in the same dinky room he had been in the previous times he had woken up. Now he was in a luxuriously appointed room that was completely alien to him and….with a woman who was a complete stranger to him.

"God, what's wrong with me?" Muttered Minho to himself, trying to force his mind to remember something, anything. His name, for God's sake.

"You're awake!" Said the young woman who had been blinking herself away, then she ran to t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter