Immune

Immune
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jessica paled, unsure of what to say. How did this man, Kris, know that she might have ISC? "I-I don't know" she stammered. "My sister contracted it today and I ran away from the officials..."
Kris swept his hand through his already unruly hair and sighed. "Has your sister been living with you for at least a week before her death?"
"Y-yes, we've always lived together."
"Then you should be sick or dead by now!" His eyebrows slanted downwards, outraged because Jessica had remarkably survival. "We're going to have to do a blood test to see if you have the pathogen or not," he said, pulling out a small kit from the folds of his black clothes. He opened it; inside, there was a pin and a small, scanner-like machine. "Give me your index finger," he commanded. Jessica hesitatingly complied and before she felt any pain, he had jabbed the pin through her skin. Blood dribbled out and fell onto the scanner; it lit up, bright green. 
"W-what's that supposed to mean?" Jessica asked, her voice becoming shrill. "D-do I have it? Am I going to die?!"
Kris was silent. "The air here is contaminated with the ISC virus."
"I'm going to die," Jessica whispered, all the color leaving her face. 
"No," he said. "You're immune. You and I," he paused. "Are the only people in the entire world known to be immune to this disease."

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter