Contaminated

Immune
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Somewhere, in an isolated village located in Burma, doctors swarmed around a patient, infected with a severe case of ischemia*. The patient's limbs were swollen and black due to blockages found in the major blood vessels supplying the body parts. The doctors were operating on the patient's neck, desperately trying to dissolve a clot found in a carotid artery* to allow the oxygenated blood to flow to the brain. It was a race against time; if the brain died, the patient was as good as dead. Suddenly the heart monitor* beeped, signaling that the patient's heart had stopped beating. Murmurs spread through the doctors as they removed their operating tools from the patient's body. Never did the doctors realize that their diagnosis of ischemia was incorrect. 

A virus, originally affecting the Myanmar snub-nosed monkey, had transferred hosts due to the frequent contact between the monkeys and humans. The extremely contagious and airborne virus invaded the human body through any gateway that it could find. After a week of dormancy*, the virus unleashed its fatal attacks.  Deadly and potent, the virus attacked the cells lining the blood vessels, creating dangerous blockages that prevented blood flow. As a result, the heart pressure was dramatically increased, exhausting the cardiac muscles* and eventually causing death as well as kidney failure. Doctors usually diagnosed the patient with a severe case of ischemia due to the similar symptoms; however, they never took a sample of the patient's blood to check for any pathogens. Resulting from incorrect diagnoses and the potency of the virus, no survivors have ever been discovered.

Scientists desperately experimented in their lab, searching to obtain a vaccine; however, due to a lack of live victims, their work resulted in failure. Eventually, the scientists sent a request to the government, pleading to use a human to test their experiments. It took several years for the request to reach the president, who, at that time, was in his last year of office. He denied the scientists their wish, causing great anguish and anger in the scientific community. By this time, the virus had spread from Burma to other parts of southern Asia, devastating almost all the affected countries. Eventually, the airlines were shut down and traveling was prohibited. The fearful citizens of the Earth helplessly and desperately trusted that their governments would discover a method to prevent the human race from succumbing to death. 

Suddenly, the death toll rose exponentially. The airborne pathogen, now nicknamed ISC due to its similarity with ischemia, had diffused across all of Asia, even reaching Europe. Scientist were failing to discover a cure and vaccines. People started to panic, causing chaos and disorder on a global scale. 

In this dark time, a glowing figure stood up, promising to save the people and providing light to all those who stood with him. His genuine plans for the future and generous personality were quickly recognized and he rapidly gathered supporters, eventually becoming the 69th and youngest President of the United States, a country globally recognized for its power.

★★★

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter