Sheet 7

Broken Music

Sheet 7

Work In Progress

 

          Today the weather reports say it would rain. Summer showers aren’t rare but it gets chilly in the attic when it rains. He doesn’t really like cold weather. It’s almost 3 in the afternoon, why isn’t that new assistant coming? Doesn’t her shift start at 3?

 

          Kim Sung Gyu is bored and a bit impatient. Why isn’t she here yet? He has the urge to drape himself across the counter but doesn’t look very dignified.

 

          The front door chime finally rings; he needs to make a good impression.

 

          She looks so much in a daze that Sung Gyu has a hard time suppressing a laugh. He wonders if she could really be of help. One thing’s for sure, she loves books. And she probably has everything he needs.

 

          “Annyeonghaseyo, Auntie— Oh… why…”

 

          “I’m too young to be called an aunt… I’m sure you can see how manly I am…”

 

          Up fronted is too strong of a word, but it’s the most dominant emotion that lingers on her face. He doesn’t think he was being too much though.

 

          “Umm… I have to start working now…”

 

          “Aren’t you curious? I work part-time here when the owner isn’t around. I’m sure that’s not what you want to know, right?”

 

          “I don’t know what you’re talking about…”

 

          He’s been told that he was crazy ever since middle school. The things he knows and the realities that everyone believes differ. He must really be insane, but he knows another reality. Finding out someone knows and exist in both realities is a relief. At least he’s not the only one who’s insane.

 

          Seeming to want to avoid discussion, the new part-time assistant makes her way towards the stairs to the attic.

 

          “Ya! If you don’t want to cooperate, give me my necklace back.”

 

          “What?”

 

          “My necklace, you probably picked it up at the bus station. I’m sure I dropped it there. And the book, I know you have it. Also, if you don’t wish to help, I suggest you steer clear of the attic.” He’s got her attention now.

 

          “Why? I work here. The attic’s my work station. I was asked to sort books there.”

 

          “You don’t want to be there… You’ll be pulled in… Again.”

 

          “Pulled in? I… Seriously, what are you on about?”

 

          “You’ve received my note. We’re the only ones who can help.  I usually work on these things alone; unfortunately I don’t have a knack for romance…”

 

          “You were really there? It wasn’t—“

 

          “A dream? It might be… It’s weird to be dreaming of the same thing though.” Kim Sung Gyu looks at her and predicts a change of heart. “Readers find it boring to read only dialogue, should we give them action?”

 

          “I don’t know much about rescuing…”

 

          He smiles. “Leave that to me. All you need to do is be cheesy…”

~0~

 

          The attic looks the way it was when he left last night. The girl has a decency to put everything back in its place. Not that it’s going to look the same way when the prince arrives.                 

          The new girl sat at one of the bean bags farthest from the display shelf. He’s anticipating questions. The explanation would be something from a book. He knows it will be hard to make her understand. No one believes, none at this day and age. Who even believes in magic?

         

          “What do I write? I mean, where do I even start?”

 

          “I was expecting a different question… for starters, aren’t you curious what this is all about?”

 

          “I am… But I really don’t want to know the details. I already think all of this is crazy… I don’t want to know anything else…”

 

          “I see... You’re going in blind. But you do have to know a few things before diving in. There are three important items that we always have to keep with us…”

 

          “This book, your necklace and the music box…” she says casually, ticking off a finger for each item.

 

          “Right. That was a dead giveaway…”

 

          “There’s something I’m curious about though. I have both the necklace and the book. I’m thinking as long as the music box is playing, I’d be inside the book. So I don’t have to physically bring it. But you’d only have the music box. How are you able to get in?”

 

          This was the question he’s a bit uneasy to answer. “I… You don’t really leave. It’s more like falling asleep. So, even if you see the prince grabbing you inside the book you’re body technically stays in the attic…”

 

          “You saw me in the attic? How did you… If you took the book and the necklace, how come it’s still with me? Did you just have to touch one of the objects? It only needs to be in the same room, is that it?”

 

          “Ah yeah… right… That’s… Just…” He doesn’t even know how to explain that a certain skin ship was necessary to be able to go in together. They probably haven’t anticipated that there would be two. As far as history was concerned it only runs in their line. He might need to tell his grandmother about this girl, what was her name again. “Who are you?”

 

          “Huh?”

 

          “Your name… Do you want me to just call you ‘ya’?”

 

          “You’ve heard it from the store owner... You don’t remember? It’s Lee Soo Jung… ”

 

          He rolls his eyes at the sass. He never liked remembering trivial things. “Soo Jung-ssi… Should we start?”

 

          “Wait, you didn’t answer my question… How do we come together?”

 

          He ignores the question, she’ll find out soon enough anyway. “We need to do something first before we go in. You’ve probably noticed the blank pages. You need to write a prompt of some sort... We can’t just do the rescuing. The book wouldn’t accept it. We need to start from the beginning...”

 

          “You mean like ‘Once Upon A Time?’...” she takes the book out from her bag and opens it to a blank page.

 

          “No... The story’s been started, prologue and all, so there’s no need for that. Story so far is... Prince Woo Hyun’s engagement to Princess Mi Joo was planned to be announced. A few days later, Prince Mi Joo went missing.”

 

          Soo Jung looks through the pages again; words started forming as if an invisible hand is writing.

 

          There was once a prince in a faraway land who is famous for his striking good looks and his pure heart.

 

       The King and Queen are very proud of their only son and solely want what’s best for him. The entire kingdom has seen him grow from a mischievous toddler to a very gallant young man.

 

       The announcement of his engagement to a princess is a cause for celebration. But upon finding out that it’s the princess of the neighbouring country they are at conflict with; the people are divided into two opposing opinions. A few are happy that somehow the conflict would be resolved. The rest are suspicious of the intention of the other kingdom. But seeing the prince happy is their main priority, albeit the oppositions. They have heard a lot of good things about the princess and they can’t wait to be acquainted to her.

 

       The day of the formal engagement was set and everybody was busy with preparations and the excitement in the whole kingdom is palpable. The entire palace staff is b with energy. This was a very happy occasion.

 

       The day of the engagement is fast approaching. Everyone is busy doing last minute preparations, when a messenger from the neighbouring country arrived with the most shocking news.

 

       Princess Mi Joo is missing.

 

          She reads the rest of story’s progress, Prince Woo Hyun volunteering to look for the princess. He’s been everywhere (literally), jumping from one book to another. Trying to find out where the princess went. Who could’ve possibly taken her, or if she had runaway.

 

          Sung Gyu looks at her with anticipation, she probably thinks he’s cool. Of course what else would she expect from someone like him? He thinks the book jumping was a genius. No one ordinary would have ever thought of that.

 

          She looks up from the book she’s holding. Here comes the praises...

 

          “You call this writing?”