Sheet 20

Broken Music

Sheet 20

Time Stands Still

 

            Most things aren’t understood just by way of talking or for the most part trying to up each other of who’s the better idiot than the other.

 

            Unfortunately, Dong Woo is a witness of this specific human triviality for half an hour now. It doesn’t seem like it’s going to stop any time soon. So he does what he thinks a normal person would do to avoid going insane.

 

            “I’m hungry.”

 

            The two arguing idiots stopped and stared.

 

            Dong Woo smiles triumphantly, that phrase is highly effective for many other things, mostly to his parents. Thinking of it now, he is hungry. They’ve been locked up for almost 16 hours now. Is Myeong Soo not planning to feed them? How cruel, he laments. Then he remembers; he’s no longer on good terms with him, so much for childhood friendships.

           

            “Do you think he’ll come and feed us or something?”

 

            He shrugs. Dong Woo doesn’t know. Other than him, there is no one else in the house to boss around. He doubts that Myeong Soo would bother feeding them. Of course Lee Soo Jung is a different case. “He might have someone else bring her food though...” He points at the Narra grudgingly.

 

            “Sorry...” Soo Jung whispers. She doesn’t mean for people to suffer because of her.

 

            “I didn’t... I should be the one saying sorry. I was aware that this was crazy from the beginning and I didn’t do anything about it. None of this is your fault.”

 

            “Well, I wouldn’t say that...”

 

            The Narra thinks she reserves the right to be utterly pissed at the statement.

 

            “What? Have you actually read the chaos that you wrote? I mean, I know that you were under the influence but still...” He let the sentence hang. It would be better if she finds about it herself.

 

            “I did what?!” She rushes towards the writing table in the room, there are a few sheets of paper with a familiar writing on it and as she reads what she has written in the past, she feels guilty all over again.

 

            “You know what dude; I now know the reason why someone can easily make her turn against you.”

 

            Sung Gyu frowns, he was about to retaliate then he remembers. While glancing at his Narra who’s currently looking through pages of disaster, he asks his cage companion. “When you said I triggered a bad memory, what do you mean by that?”

 

            Dong Woo sighs, “Antas are programmed for chaos. We have the ability to find out a person’s inner weakness, hatred. Kim Myeong Soo just happened to find one in your Narra.”

 

            “That’s impossible; I haven’t really known her that long but Lee Soo Jung holding a grudge on someone? I don’t think—“ He looks at Dong Woo for clarification.

 

            “You annoy her.” Dong Woo says bluntly. Rolling his eyes at how dense this Protos is.

 

            “I do?”

 

            “It’s a very trivial grudge, but have that thought constantly repeated in her mind. With a bit of malice, it’s gonna go deep...”

 

            “I annoy her?”

 

            “Dude, it’s the teasing. It’s odd that you haven’t realized it. You can get over the top with the ‘useless Narra’ jokes.”

 

            “Hey.” Kim Sung Gyu pretends to be offended but in truth he recalls the time that he teases his Narra and she just either stays quiet or roll her eyes at him. Has she been enduring the teasing all this time? He did observe that she looked somewhat affronted the few times they’ve met to discuss the story’s progress. The thought of it actually hurting her never once crossed his mind. He makes a mental note to himself to be careful next time and maybe apologize for past grievances so this wouldn’t happen again.

 

            He turns his gaze towards Soo Jung whose current position (now face planted on the desk, groaning) is making him guilty of ever mentioning the chaos in the first place. Maybe now would be the proper time to apologize.

 

            “Lee Soo Jung...” he calls out. He gets ignored though the girl looks up and starts writing so perhaps the apologies would have to come later.

 

            A couple of minutes pass, Soo Jung stands up approaching their glass cage. Sitting as close to them as possible. “I have a plan...” she declares, handing out what looks to be paper dolls. “Pass that around...”

 

            “There’s just—“

 

            “Pass it around, please.”

 

            Kim Sung Gyu passed around the two paper dolls in his hand. He stares at the miniature him suspiciously.

 

            “That’s a great miniature ‘you’, she even got your eyes right. And the hair... and the—“

           

            He speaks up before Dong Woo could make fun of him more. “What are these for?”

 

            “Diversion. Since you’re locked up—”

 

            Kim Sung Gyu eyes her suspiciously. “You’re trapped as well. That was why I’m here in the first place, to rescue you.”

 

            “I appreciate the rescue attempt, truly. But with the current situation we’re all in, you’re more trapped than I am. You’re in a glass cage while I could move freely, which is why going through with this plan would make sense.”

 

            He looks at Dong Woo for support although he knows the latter doesn’t have the slightest idea. And truth be told, he doesn’t either. Whatever she’s planning, he wouldn’t let her sacrifice herself for his sake. It’s overly dramatic to think that way without listening to the entire plan first but he assumes he knows his Narra enough to believe that this plan would only go well for him.

 

            “These would act as your substitutes. We need to turn the story around; it’s a temporary solution until we finally find an actual way out.”

 

            “You’d still write for him?” the words came out harsher than he wanted. However the thought of her writing for the Anta makes his stomach churn and he’s aware that it has nothing to do with the lack of food.

 

            “I’ll be writing, still... Just trust me...”

 

            Kim Sung Gyu frowns, he does trust her. It’s their enemy he doesn’t. “I’m just worried you’re... I worry for you, ok?”

 

            Soo Jung suppresses a smile, this is better than the apology she didn’t think she’s been waiting to hear.

 

            “I’m not trying to be funny. I’m serious... What if somehow he finds out and you’re the only one left here and that ‘Me’ won’t be able to protect you...”

 

            She slowly puts her hand in his, unable to look him in the eye. Soo Jung whispers a ‘thank you’.

 

            He’s taken aback by the sudden change of mood but he doesn’t move, averting his gaze towards the hand that is currently on top of his.

 

            It feels warm and comforting.

 

            “C’mon love birds... Don’t make this awkward for me. I still exist and the clock’s ticking...”

 

~0~

 

            Nam Woo Hyun wakes up to a sudden surging pain in his right leg and a realization that someone (make that two someones) has attacked him in the middle of night. As much as he thinks he’s all for this life of adventure, he hates his sleep being interrupted by it.

 

            “Woo Hyun-ah, wake up!” As if hurting his leg wasn’t enough the intruder also intends on annoying him.

 

            “Shut up! I’ll forgive you for whatever you did to my leg. But if you disturb my sleep further then you better be prepared to suffer the consequences...” he muttered in his most menacing voice.

 

            “Wake up, you idiot!”

 

            He was forcefully dragged out of bed by, he soon discovers, none other than his best friend.

 

            “Ya! Have you been dreaming again? Sit up properly; I need to ask you something...”

 

            Contrary to his initial observation, there is only one other person in his room though he thinks the other one might just be in hiding somewhere. He let his eyes adjust to the darkness, scanning the vicinity for any threats.

 

            “STOP.BEING.DRAMATIC!” Kim Sung Gyu emphasized as he was beaten using his own pillow.

 

            When Kim Sung Gyu was sure that his best friend was fully awake he let out a loud sigh and presented his request. “I need you to be blond.”

 

            The stare his best friend gives is one of puzzlement then his eyes grew wide, “Is this a kink? I mean what—“

 

            He didn’t expect the painful smack in the head that followed. “Get your head off the gutter. I need your help. I’m aware that you know about my book jumping and as much as I avoid getting non-jumpers involved, we need all the help we can get.”

 

            “So... Me being blond will help?”

 

            “Immensely...”

 

            “Who...”

 

            “There’s no time for introductions, we need to get to my grandmother’s so dress up.”

 

            Woo Hyun can’t help but stare at the guy standing in his room, though he can’t see him very clearly the wide grin he has on his face is making his skin crawl.

 

            “I’m Jang Dong Woo at your service. I come in peace but I do bite...”

 

            “Who...”

 

            “A fellow jumper... Dong Woo, this is Woo Hyun my friend...”

 

            Nam Woo Hyun hates being scrutinized in the dark, so he claps his hand to activate the lighting in his room. “Do I dazzle you?”

 

            The other guest just stood there gaping at him.

 

            Kim Sung Gyu can’t help but to slap some sense into his friend. “I told you to stop being overly dramatic!”

 

            “That wasn’t necessary...” Woo Hyun rubs his sore head. Seriously, being awaken like this isn’t ideal.

 

            “C’mon, wipe that drool off your face. We’re on borrowed time.”

 

            He doesn’t understand exactly what is going on but Nam Woo Hyun definitely likes this adrenalin rush. Finally he gets to go on an adventure.

 

            The trip to Kim Sung Gyu’s grandmother’s house is like a dream. He’s been there a couple of times before but everything after that intrusion in his room felt surreal to him.

 

            His hair is now the colour of a wheat field, a sort of damaged blond that he never would’ve thought suited him. The new colour giving him more confidence than any other dye jobs he had in the past. Now he feels like a prince. He’s more than ready to rescue a princess.

 

~0~

            The welcome they received was unexpected. There’s an ominous air in the house that he has never felt before during his visits. Sung Gyu must be doing something pretty important or else his grandmother would be presenting them with cookies instead of this deathly glare.

 

            “What is a fictional character and an Anta doing in my sacred room?”

           

            “C’mon Grandma, this room is hardly sacred...”

 

            The Head of the Kim Household fixed her grandson with a stern look. “This is not the time to be joking around, Sung Gyu...”

 

            Her grandson bows his head in apology. Whatever it is that’s happening in her grandson’s current storybook has alarmed the Council. She needs to know how much of a threat the Anta named L is. “Where is your Narra?”

 

            “Ummm... that. She’s currently in some sort of predicament. So, it’s just me and Woo Hyun... He’s the second-hand bookstore’s owner’s son. You remember him, right? And this is... Jang Dong Woo.” He waves hesitantly at the Antas direction. Kim Sung Gyu isn’t sure what his grandmother would do to an enemy nevertheless he promised Soo Jung he’d protect the other.

 

            “What is it that you’re planning to do now that your Narra is held captive—“

 

            “That’s not what—“

 

            “Don’t make a fool of me, Sung Gyu. As for this Anta, I don’t feel the need to be hostile with him. He doesn’t seem to pose any threat. Though you being here in my attic is making the ancient books unsettled.”

 

            Dong Woo’s face is the picture of guilt.

 

            “You and this person you’ve decided to follow have done a lot of awful things to books. Your presence alone makes them wary of you.”

 

            “I’m not sure if my apologies would make any difference at this point. But I’m here to help right the wrongs.”

 

            “You’re Dong Woo of the infamous mischievous Jangs of the northeast?”

 

            The first son of the notorious Anta Family nods his assent, relieved that he’s not being ostracized because of it.

 

            “I had the pleasure of your grandmother’s acquaintance. We’ve made quite a big show in one of my adventures back in the days...” Sung Gyu’s grandmother recalls of days when things are more orderly and less complicated. When everyone enjoys the stories they stumble into.”

 

            An image of peaceful times lingers in her mind. Things like these never happened before. The world has gone extremely odd for her liking.

           

            “So... where do I figure in all of this?” the sole non-jumper inquired.

 

            Kim Sung Gyu decided it’s time to let his grandmother in on his Narra’s bizarre plan. “We’re bringing out the white rabbit.”

 

 

A/N: I’ve been gone for awhile... and I apologise for the lack of updates. This time I’m not going to say ‘I promise...” to do this or do that coz I figured I’d only renege on it eventually. What I can give my word on is that I’ll finish this story regardless of how long it takes me to sit down and write and update.

I feel like the more I prolong writing this the more my way of writing it changes. I’m not sure though if it’s going into a bad or good direction. I’ll probably read the story and revise it again and again and again coz every time I read it after a while my feelings for it changes. Maybe that’s just me getting older or weirder lol

 

So, I hope you enjoy this and thank you for still hanging on to this. XD