Sheet 23

Broken Music

Alarm The Alarm I

 

Three Weeks. That’s how long she has been cooped up in this dungeon. Life has been monotonous since then. The accidental arrival of the new comer was a welcome distraction. The sight of somebody familiar is soothes her restless heart. It’s not the same person she knows but nevertheless a comfort.

 

She has forgotten how it was to speak to someone else other than herself. It’s a relief to know that she still exists to the outside world, that no one has forgotten about her and her plight.

 

A revelation.

 

The fact about her existence or she could say, the lack of it. Everything she thought a part of her was a lie. Her existence is a make-believe, something someone has decided for her. The words she utters, the things she does, her thoughts were never hers.

 

The family and the Kingdom that has become so beloved to her, even the fiancee she longs to see was a product of the imagination.

 

She never thought of a truth like this. It shakes you, renders you immobile.

 

 How cruel of someone to inform her in a way that made her doubt everything that she had believed. The person who calls himself ‘L’ has taught her that people cannot be trusted. At first, him taking her doesn’t make sense. He was never someone she was familiar with. Her Kingdom has had conflicts with other Kingdoms. Her betrothed’s to be exact but their union was meant to end that conflict.

 

Then strange things started to happen. It’s as if every unfortunate thing that was to happen occurred in the span of a few days. She wasn’t privy to everything that is happening outside her cage though L was never selfish about sharing details. How he wants everyone to know that they exist, that it has been so long since they were given the limelight.

 

She never understood any of this, not until now.

 

She was a pawn.

 

The very idea disgusts her. She doesn’t want to be a damsel anymore.

 

And Lady Soo Jung is helping her discard that moniker.

 

~0~

 

As far as plans are going, Kim Sung Gyu is in a pinch. He could think of a 101 ways why this entire idea is never going to work. Last time he checked, they’re dealing with someone crafty, for the most parts evil but very intelligent he would have to admit.

 

He has never needed to make strategies. His stories were never planned, the characters mostly has a mind of their own and he lets them drift wherever they want to. Having a Narra makes things complicated. Not that he doesn’t like having his around.

 

“You getting a Narra signals the Antas that you’re being serious with the story thus we come into the picture to plant conflict, make it difficult for both of you. That’s how adventures and true magic are made.

 

“Narra’s are often solely for the Protos. We don’t see a need for one since the story isn’t ours. Unfair as it is, we’re never given chances to start our own stories. We jump newly opened one’s, stories that your kind has opened.” Dong Woo explains.

 

Kim Sung Gyu somehow understands why L is doing whatever it is that he plans to do. It is unfair.

 

“It’s the rules, we’re bound to it. It’s not like you chose to have it that way. If there was anyone to be blamed for all this, it’s our ancestors...” The Anta counters when Sung Gyu suggested for them to break the rules and start their own.

 

“Then I think it’s about time that we, this current generation of jumpers, amend those rules.”

 

Jang Dong Woo smiles that gummy smile. Sung Gyu thinks for the first time that he wants in when his grandmother attends Council Meetings.

 

“For now, kindly convince my Narra to stop torturing me by letting me stayed locked up.”

 

The Anta laughs, shaking his head ‘No’.

 

At least some things remains constant. He hasn’t known the laughing guy (who’s now out of his cage) beside him for a long time but he knows he can trust him. And would probably like to share adventures with him in the future.

 

The door to the room opens. Kim Sung Gyu can’t help but glare at the person who entered. This Anta gets in his nerves. He’ll make sure he sees reason.

 

L approaches Soo Jung without glancing at him, he notices Dong Woo out of his cage sitting on the side. “I don’t remember letting you out...”

 

“I let him...”

 

The Anta raised his eyebrow in inquiry.

 

“I’ve convinced him to... help...”

 

“Did you?”

 

“Right, Dong Woo-ssi?”

 

“Anything you wish for me to do, Soo Jung-ssi...” Dong Woo says as if in a trance.

 

The Protos scoffs. “And here I thought you were less stupid.”

 

L stares at Sung Gyu amused. “Well done, my Narra... I guess this person is of use, somehow...”

 

“Of use my foot. If you think you’d be able to do things just because you have... these two. You’re clearly mistaken.”

 

Lee Soo Jung glares at him. L’s smile widens.

 

“I have the prince...” the Narra continued glaring at Kim Sung Gyu, L observed. Maybe he’ll keep the Protos around, for progress sake. He looks at the Narra this time. “Take me to him...”

 

Soo Jung nods, walking towards the door. L takes one last triumphant look at Kim Sung Gyu and drapes his arm across the Narra’s shoulder.

 

“Hands off, you!”

 

His frustration makes the Anta elated.

 

 

A/N: So here's a long and boring excuse why I have been MIA for a whole 5 months and more... The first few paragraphs of this chapter has been written the same day I posted the last update. I intended to write and post the following week though unfortunate circumstances prevented me to do so. For the same reason that I have stopped writing entirely. Something that left me in a daze for a few weeks that turned to months and I wasn't able to function properly.

 

I figured my writing will be affected by my current status.Since I prefer writing happy (regardless of how sober the story I am writing is), I decided to not push it. I'm not entirely in that place where it's easy to write things and experiences but I'm getting there.

 

Thank you for hanging in there with me.

 

To anyone who is experiencing difficulty recently, we can do this. Hold someone's hand and never let go, even if something in the back of your mind tells you to do so. Don't.

 

If you're unable to find someone to hold your hand physically, know that I won't. We might not know each other but rest assured I won't let go.