Sheet 5

Broken Music

          Sheet 5

The Story So Far

 

          The ground is shaking like crazy and Soo Jung is being dragged here in there by a character in a book she hasn’t read but should have. Is there an exact scene like this? Would she have avoided it if she did advance reading?     

 

         “Over here, Young Master!”  A voice sounded from a hidden alcove underneath an old tree. Soo Jung looks to see it stretch up so high and so wide it covers almost half of the shaking forest.

 

         “Sung—“

 

         The man hiding in the alcove puts a finger to his lips. A reason to stay quiet? Is the forest going to start to shake again if they made a noise?

 

         The thought was interrupted before she could even voice it. The prince tugged at her hand and they trudged through vines and low hanging trees to go into the alcove.

 

         “How did you get here?” Prince Woo Hyun asked the stranger. He’s wearing the same ensemble as the prince, so Soo Jung assumed that this person must be his right-hand man.

 

         “I should be the one asking questions...” Sung Yeol is looking at her but he’s clearly not going to address her properly. “How did she get here? Judging from her clothes, I could say she’s not a local…”

 

         “Manners, Sung Yeol… She’s my guest, treat her with respect… And besides, she came from the world of abundant books.”

 

         “Same as that friend of yours…” There’s that tone again, it’s obviously full of disdain.

 

         Soo Jung is more confused now (and scared— something that she really doesn’t want to dwell on as of the moment). Someone from her world came here too? Is that person still n this world? Are they going to be stuck here forever?

 

         “Yes. I believe you are here to rescue us, not give me a sermon…”

 

         “I apologize, Young Master. This tunnel here leads us back to the castle. It’s a long walk but this way we’ll arrive back safely.”

 

          “Thank you, Sung Yeol…” Prince Woo Hyun looks at Soo Jung’s direction offering his hand. The man named Sung Yeol eyes her suspiciously.

         

          She scowls at him. She didn’t wish to be here as well. She doesn’t take the offered hand but proceeds to walk towards the tunnel. If she’s going to stay here, she’s not going to be a damsel in distress. She’s read a lot of novels where the female lead waits for a rescue. She’s determined not to be one of them.

 

          She sighs, looking around as she walks. There are torches that lights up the tunnel. Droplets of water falls off the ceiling and a few stray vines line the way. The novel will end eventually, right? She’ll get out of this. She just needs to stay alive.

 

          The walk back to the castle took hours. It was evening when they finally arrived.

 

          There’s a welcoming party at the castle’s entrance. A man stepped forward and bowed towards the prince. His gaze fell on Soo Jung as he was straightening himself up. Soo Jung was slightly taken aback by the irritation on the man’s face.

 

          Well, it’s not her fault that she’s here. Why is everyone looking at her like she did it on purpose?

 

          “Your Highness, where have you been. The King is looking for you.”

 

          “Thank You, Ho Won. Can you ask someone to my friend here to a vacant bedchamber? I believe she needs a change of clothes and food too.”

 

          “I’ll let Lady Ji Ae attend to her. Also your... other friend is here as well. He wishes an audience with you; he says it’s about an important matter. He’s waiting at the library…”

 

          “Is that so? Tell my father I’ll see him before dinner. I think I’ll go speak with my friend first. Lady Soo Jung, I would wish for you to join us at the library for tea.” 

 

          The prince exits along with his entourage, sneering sidekick Sung Yeol included. Ho Won bows and takes his leave but not before shooting another death glare at Soo Jung.

~0~

          Soo Jung looks around the palace. It was, as all palaces should be, grand with the Kingdom’s coat of arms hanging on alternate beams of the tall ceiling. Soo Jung walked aimlessly, not having a particular destination. The guards won’t talk to her and she hasn’t seen anyone else except them standing in a straight line on the corridors.

 

She heard footsteps running from the end of the hall. She stopped to see who it was. A girl with long light brown hair and a very pale face halted in front of her, catching her breath.

 

          “Lady Soo Jung, is it? I’ve been looking all over the castle for you. You need to get changed. You have tea scheduled with the prince and his guest in a few… Follow me, please.”

 

          The lady was dressed prettily. It was a simple dress, free of ruffles or lace. She was expecting something extravagant even for ladies-in-waiting. But the simplicity of the dress made this lady prettier. The ocean-colored dress fits her perfectly. If she was to be given a similar dress, Soo Jung wishes for it not to be yellow, or else she might expire.

 

          She was lead to a very spacious bedchamber; a dress is laid out on a huge canopied bed. It was yellow. Whoever it is that’s writing (or have written) this book must’ve hated unexpected characters popping out.

 

~0~

 

          The library was atrocious. Books with gold engravings lined the floor to ceiling shelves. This is a bookworm’s dream come true. She runs his hand on the books she could reach and could only stare at the how prettily they were binded. Definitely handmade and covered in authentic leather, she could almost smell the ink that was used to write whatever stories it was in those books. She could stay here forever and read. She’ll never mind the outside.

 

          “You should never think of such things like that, not when you’re here.”

 

          A guy was standing by the door, hands inside his pockets. Unlike everyone she met today, he’s wearing a weirdly printed dress shirt and ripped jeans. “Are you…”

 

          “We were waiting for you. Didn’t they tell you we’re having tea in Woo Hyun’s personal library?”

 

          “Did you come from outside too? I mean… You’re not from this book?”

 

          “What are you talking about? But you know what; it’s a good thing you weren’t there…” he trailed off, pretending he didn’t hear Soo Jung’s questions.

 

           “Ya! It’s obvious… You’re not from here. Judging from the way you’re dressed. How did you get here? How do we leave?” The guy is staring at her with a blank expression. It’s kind of unnerving.

 

          “I have an advice for you though…” continuing as though Soo Jung never spoke.

 

          The creepy silence is getting on her nerves. She’s not usually a confrontational person, but this guy is irritating.

 

          “You need to wake up…”