Sheet 17

Broken Music

Sheet 17

Chaos

         

     If you find it trying to start stories with the usual ‘Once upon a time’ let’s begin with...

 

     There was once a great clan whose only wish is equality for all. One kingdom decided to oppose the structure so they were punished. Another kingdom though is trying to save them regardless of an ancient rift.

 

     For that they needed to be punished.

 

     There are marriage plans for the unification of both Kingdoms. They’ve made plans to have the princess visit so that the people of the country would be familiar with her and to gauge their reactions as well.

 

     A knight from that Kingdom has decided to sacrifice dignity to be able to save his beloved country. So he began plotting.

 

          L is pleased; he never for once doubted this Narra’s abilities. Ever since the first time he spotted her at the Seoul Public Library writing nonsense on a notepad. She’s too immersed in what she’s doing that her surroundings is of no importance to her.

 

          Narras are described as someone who gets lost in their own worlds as they write. They don’t get distracted no matter what, even with a tap on the shoulder or a nudge. They could only be pulled back into the real world by either a Protos or an Anta.

 

          “I was looking for the second part of this book... Do you happen to know if someone has already borrowed it?”

 

          The part-time librarian looked at the book without even taking a glance at the person who’s asking. She gets up, situates herself at the librarian’s desk and looks up the book that was being inquired. As soon as she finds out where the copy was, she jots it down on a piece of paper and hands it over to the person who made the query.

 

          That was the time that L knew, he wouldn’t be able to get his own Narra in this story. The lack of reaction was disappointing, considering a lot of people has told him his looks can make people stop and stare.

 

          He tried a second time, with magic. A book he’s sure would interest her that one rainy day before she decided to take a leave. Bumping into her at the building entrance wasn’t even enough to gain her interest.

 

          But that was in the past, she’s writing for him now. He’s going to change the way people looks at villains in their books. He’s going to make them root for his kind.

 

          This is just the start of their rule.

 

          “Sir!”

 

          One of his trusted servants comes running in the throne room, a look of panic on his face.

 

          “The princess disappeared from her prison.”

 

          “Calm down, Dong Woo, we’ll get her back. We’re re-writing the story...”

 

          “But sir...”

 

          “Dong Woo, patience. I have everything all planned out.”

 

          “Lady Ji Ae hasn’t returned too...”

 

          “Don’t worry about her; she doesn’t need to be here anymore. I don’t have any use for her. She’s just another Anta.”  

 

          “Yes sir...”

 

           L can see the fear in the other’s eyes. He sighs. “Leave, I have more important things to attend to.”

 

           Fear is a nice thing to see in other people’s faces, although it get’s tiring seeing it all the time. He wants to be revered, one people thinks highly about.

 

          The fact that he’s working with useless people makes him feel relieved that he now has the upper hand. Lee Soo Jung will write for him as long as he needed her to. He hasn’t felt this complacent in his life.

 

          Since he was a child he’s been told that this is the way of the world. That all they need to do is make a small effort, nothing they do will change their fate. It was hard to go into a story you love and find out someone else will get the victory.

 

          He’s been book travelling and all he could take back was disappointment. He’s lived with that not questioning anything.

 

          “You can rest anytime you want Soo Jung-ssi... Take your time writing the story I believe you can make it interesting.”

 

          “Yes.”

 

~0~

 

          The entire plaza is buzzing; the news of the Flower Kingdom’s princess’ arrival is being passed on to anyone who’s keen to listen. A few town folk looks at the entourage with disdain. Not everyone is in favour of the union between the two kingdoms, though they have little say about it.

 

          Kim Sung Gyu looks outside the window of the left wing tower; he’s confused at the source of the commotion in the square.

 

          “My friend, my beloved has arrived. Do you wish to accompany me in welcoming her and her entourage?” The prince beams as he fixes his collar.

 

          “What are you talking about?”

 

          “Do you not remember? She arrives today.”

 

          “She?”

 

          “You’re being funny again, the princess arrives today. I’ll just see you at the feast later...” the prince taps his shoulder and proceeded to go down and meet the princess’ entourage.

 

          He stares outside the window, wondering why the princess is here. How did it happen that the princess is just arriving to Nam Country, this doesn’t make sense. It’s like the entire story is being altered.

 

          “Lord Sung Gyu...”

 

          The appearance of one of Soo Jung’s spies still startles him. This time it’s Lady Myeong Eun.

 

          “They’re re-starting the story...”

 

          “What do you mean?”

 

          “The Antas are controlling the story now. They have Mistress Soo Jung writing for them.”

 

          “But that’s impossible... She wouldn’t—“ He paused. “How did you know of this?”

 

          “The mistress controls us, we all felt out of touch with her all of a sudden.”

 

          He feels like someone has pulled the rug beneath him. This happened because he was careless. Were they torturing her? He can’t imagine anything that the Antas could’ve done for them to be able to take control of his Narra. Lee Soo Jung is more formidable than her size dictates. He needs to find her.

 

          “Trust her. That’s what she said. I’m sure she’s got this all figured out.”

 

          Frustration is an understatement, the only task that he was assigned to do and he’s not able to make progress. “Have you found Lady Ye In yet?”

 

          “Unfortunately we don’t have anyone named that in our ranks. I’ll try asking around again today...”

 

          The door to the tower room opens for the 3rd time that morning. This time a tall lady with long ash coloured hair came dragging Lady Ji Ae with her.

 

          “I came to you since you can’t seem to find me. I’m Lady-In-Waiting Ye In.”

 

Find a lady-in-waiting named Ye In, she has the doll

 

          “Lady Ji Ae, you’re the doll?”

 

          “Do you people think there’s only you existing in the world?” she screams, trying to loosen the hold the taller girl has with her.

 

          “Hey, what’s with the defiance? You told me you’re here to confess...”

 

          “Confess? You tricked me into going here.” Lady Ji Ae looks at all of them with disgust. “The story is on reset. We already have an upper hand. It’s not me you should be worried about.”

 

          “You do know that he doesn’t have any use for you. I’ve heard it from a very legit source.” Lady Ye In supplies, a false smile plastered on her face. Kim Sung Gyu figured out she most likely been here longer than any of the other spies.

 

          “It doesn’t matter... I’m of that side; don’t expect me to offer you help.”

 

          “Oh you will, a confession if absolutely necessary.” Kim Sung Gyu threatens. “There would be a trial; I’ll make sure you and whoever it is that you’re working with would be punished. And I’ll eventually find out.”

 

          The Anta glares at all of them, they’re known to be hostile but he’d never expect them to be this defiant even when outnumbered.

 

          “Lady Ji Soo has lost connection...” Lady Myeong Eun announces, interrupting the glaring contest.

 

          Kim Sung Gyu glances at the book of deception, there’s a new parchment sticking out. He wants to laugh at the absurdity, he’s the Protos and he’s not even aware of what’s going on inside his own story.

 

          He takes the paper out, expecting the usual one line information that he frequently gets. There’s a whole paragraph written in a familiar hand.

 

A bad omen will come when a flower falls;

A faithful knight will stand tall and reveal his bad intentions.

There would come a time for trust.

If asked, take the hand that’s offered.  

Everything will become clear in due course

 

The girl is aware that help is on the way. She isn’t moved.

 

          Kim Sung Gyu takes off running towards the banquet room as soon as the paper disappeared, ignoring the calls and the protest of his companions inside the room. If a knight is supposed to wreck havoc, he needs to inform the prince about it. The rest of the letter would have to be deciphered later on.

 

          He needs to find out which knight the letter is talking about. He has several suspects how to find the right one. He can do this; it’s about time that he does something for the story and not rely too much on somebody else.

         

          Telling the prince would be of outmost importance, there’s a crisis that’s going to arise and he’s the only one who can warn them. He just wishes that Soo Jung would slow down on the hate writing so he’d be able to put solutions, one problem at a time.

 

          The prince and the princess are busy looking lovingly at each other, he hates to interrupt the moment but he has a rabid knight to stop.

 

          “Your Highness... Princess Mi Joo...” he bows.

 

          “Lord Sung Gyu, I’m glad you’re able to join...”

 

          “I have something really urgent I need to tell you...”

 

          “The party has just started, join the festivities first. We’ll talk later...” The prince guides them to the ballroom, introducing the princess to anyone of importance. It’s obvious that he’s smitten. The princess takes a curious glance at the prince’s visitor, assessing him.

 

          Kim Sung Gyu stands at the side, smiling politely at everyone he’s introduced to. The prince and princess starts the dance, someone urges him to ask one of the princess’ companions, he doesn’t have a choice but to consent.

 

          The ballroom is filled with laughter, Prince woo Hyun’s being the loudest.

 

          This re-written Woo Hyun is no better than the be lovesick one. He wishes the party to be over. The longer he waits, the more dangerous it is for his Narra.