Sheet 11

Broken Music

Sheet 11

Nocturne

 

          It’s too early in the morning to whine, but everybody knows Nam Woo Hyun isn’t a morning person. Especially his mother, so her calling at 7 in the morning is definitely odd. He trudges towards their second-hand bookshop, half asleep and still pondering about the reason of his Mom’s call.

 

          All she said was to make a visit. It’s not like he doesn’t make an effort to look after their business when his Mom is away, it’s just that he’s got other things to do. And besides isn’t that what the shop assistants and part-timers are paid for?

 

 That makes him a bad son, he sighs. Finding Kim Sung Gyu is now a priority, he hasn’t heard from him since last night. Woo Hyun wonders where he hangs out lately, other than their gook shop. He feels a bit suspicious.

 

          He arrives at the book shop only to see a note taped on the shop’s front door addressed to Kim Sung Gyu. This day can’t get any weirder, he thinks.

 

          He’s expecting something to spring in on him once he opens the door, but the shop looks perfectly normal. There are piles of boxes by the counter that needs to be sorted. He decided to start with the work because he expects his Mom to send a message of the tasks that he needed to do at the shop.

 

          On his way to the stairs he hears a loud thud, like something falling from the ceiling. Did the attic ceiling just give? Did someone enter from the attic? Thinking carefully, he hesitates a bit. Maybe it would be safer to call 119 first instead of heading in unprepared.

 

          Listening carefully, the noise stopped. Feeling braver, Woo Hyun decided to find out what it was that’s making a noise. The first thing that he heard is a strange sound. One of the music boxes, someone must’ve left it playing. Why would someone do that though? The tune is giving him goosebumps.

 

          “Who’s there?” he calls out.

 

          He hears more rustling and the sound of someone groaning. Stepping into the reading room with caution, Woo Hyun tries to look for the source of the sound. He can see someone’s leg sticking out from behind one of the bookshelves. Did the new part-timer faint? Was she here since last night? Panicked, Woo Hyun silently moves behind the bookshelf.

 

          “Soo Jung-ssi, wake up...”

 

          Hearing that familiar voice, Woo Hyun peeks through the shelf. Seeing his friend looming over the part-timer, he exclaims.

 

          “What the—“

 

          “I’ll explain later. Call an ambulance for me; I think she has a concussion...”

 

          “Blood...”

 

          “I’m aware of that Woo Hyun, so can you just call an ambulance for me please...”

 

          Nam Woo Hyun is still confused but followed his friend’s request. What are they doing in the attic? And why is the part-timer bleeding?

 

~0~

          The doctor has informed them that the girl is fine. Head injuries bleed a lot, but it’s nothing serious. She’s still asleep and needs a few more hours of rest. Kim Sung Gyu is relieved that she’s safe. He still has things to do but he thinks it’s better to be here when the girl wakes up. He wonders if her aunt knows where she is at this time. He totally forgot about that detail, she’s probably going to get in a lot of trouble because of him.

 

          “So...what are you two doing there all evening?” Woo Hyun inquires.

 

          “I need to go to my grandmother’s house....”

 

          “Ya... Why are you changing the subject? What have you been up to anyway?”

 

          “I’m running errands...”

 

          “Ha! You always say that when you’re book jumping...”

 

          Kim Sung Gyu looked shocked. All this time he thought Nam Woo Hyun is clueless of what he does.

 

          “I found out a while ago... Your grandmother has been boasting about how proud she is that there’s still someone in her family who inherited the gift of book jumping. Just so you, know I really don’t have an idea what she was talking about, then I remember seeing you disappear while holding ‘Little Mermaid’ in your hands when we were 8...”

 

          His friend nods in understanding, he feels too exhausted to explain the dynamics. He just wants to finish this story and maybe get some rest.

 

          “Is the girl also a jumper?”

 

          “Kind of, I guess...”

 

          “Don’t tell your grandmother... She’ll scare her...” Nam Woo Hyun jokes. He feels his friend is exhausted. This must be an adventure book. He envies the girl though; he’s wanted to come along with Sung Gyu ever since he found out about it. Too bad he’s ordinary.

 

~0~

 

          “When did we get back?”

 

          Lee Soo Jung finds her companion with his friend sitting outside her hospital room. She feels relief now that she’s back in the real world and that the only injury she had was a small wound to the head. It feels different than when she was held captive, like she’d never be able to come back again.

 

          She woke up in a panic but hearing the familiar sounds from outside calmed her, relieved that she’s back. She’s been rescued.

 

          “Earlier... I’m glad you’re fine now... I think it would be better if you go home first. Your aunt and cousin are probably worried about you...”

 

          “No, I’m good...I told them I’m overnighting at the shop...”

 

          “And they let you? Wah, daebak...”         Sung Gyu elbows his friend, tack isn’t one of Nam Woo Hyun’s strong virtues.

 

          “I’m going to my grandmother’s house today... Do you want to come?”

 

          “Wait, is this like meeting the parents? Are you introducing her to your relatives now?”

 

          “Nam Woo Hyun...”

 

          “Kidding! Anyway, there’s a note for you, saw it sticking on the shop’s door...”

 

          Sung Gyu opens the note, the message was ominous. Something intended to rattle him. He doesn’t know who it is from though he sure he’ll be able to find out when he talks to his grandmother. Standing up, he thanked his friend who decided to look after their shop this time. Woo Hyun understands how important this is to Sung Gyu so he lets them go without further questions.

 

~ 0 ~

 

          The subway only has a few passengers at this time. Glancing at the girl standing beside him, he figured she must either be really brave or as insane as his grandmother is to continue with this, assuming that she still wants to be part of this story. She must want some answers. Sung Gyu isn’t really good at giving perfectly logical explanations. He doubts that his grandmother would do a better job at it but he thinks his grandmother’s good at telling people what to do and convincing them to do it.

 

          The note is burning a hole on his jean pocket and it’s disturbing. The person who sent it is clearly aware that he’s a jumper, the message is a threat. Who and how he got found out is a mystery to him. He’s been told that same as with the books he ventured into, there would be evil. Villain’s whose sole purpose is to ruin happily ever afters.

 

          There were a lot of those in adventure books, not that he’s expecting nothing (or in this case no one) in fairytales, he should’ve been well aware that most evil resides in good books. This person though is taking it to another level. If he’s able to figure out who it is then they’d be in an even playing field.

 

          He chances a glance at the girl standing beside him, only to find her staring. Raising an eyebrow in query, he felt her gathering her resolve, shifting from where she’s standing to directly face him.

 

          “Thank you...” she whispers, avoiding his stare.

 

          He decides to be playful, melt the tension. “You’re welcome...” giving her a teasing smile. And to startle her even more, Sung Gyu grabs her hand. It would be a lie if he says he’s not amused by the confused expression on her face.

 

          “Our stop...”

 

          The silent ‘oh’ is a satisfying reward.

 

~0~

 

          House #27 is located up a hill, a vast lot spreading both sides of two blocks. It’s an imposing sight for those seeing it the first time. To Kim Sung Gyu, it’s been home for 15 years and one filled with unforgettable memories. Yes, it’s scary, something that someone needs to get used to.

 

          Leading the way inside the house, Sung Gyu warns his visitor to not wander about. There are things and places and rooms that even he is not allowed to touch or enter.

 

          Well, it’s really not the case, but she doesn’t have to be aware of it, does she? Besides, the hand that he’s holding has just clutched his tighter.

 

          It felt oddly comfortable, Kim Sung Gyu thinks.

 

          “I can’t believe I’ll see the day when you actually bring a girl home and not that best friend of yours...”

 

          The most terrifying part of the house just made her appearance.

 

          “It’s good to know that my grandson is not allergic to girls...”

 

          Sung Gyu reminds himself to not make a face, or bear the consequences. It’s better to change the topic than retaliate. “Lee Soo Jung, meet the head of the Kim Household, my grandmother, Kim Soon Hee...”

 

          The old woman in front of her has a pretty smile, though devious. It’s eerily similar to the one she’s been seeing lately.

 

          “Before you jump into conclusions, I think you’d be more delighted to know that I’ve found a storyteller...”

 

          “Nonsense, they haven’t existed in a while...”

 

          Lee Soo Jung feels offended. She realized she’s a rare kind of weird. One out of a million, who would’ve thought she’s unique.

 

          “I’m currently holding the hand of what you’re saying doesn’t exist...” Raising their entwined hands to make a point.

 

          As if a bucket of cold water was suddenly spilled over her head, it quickly registered that they’ve been walking from the subway station to the ancestral house hand in hand.

 

          “Sorry... I...” Lee Soo Jung immediately lets go of the others hand. Keeping hers in her pocket wishing it would stay there, as if it has a mind of its own.

 

          She caught wind of a silent chuckle; it took all her will power not to glare. After all this is his house and there’s an elder, she doesn’t want to appear impolite.

 

          “She? A storyteller?” the old woman rounded on her, looking for a sign that her grandson is telling the truth. “But, she’s tiny...”

 

          Lee Soo Jung is dumbfounded, what exactly does that have to do with her being a storyteller?

 

          “Ancient accounts have a concrete description of storytellers... She doesn’t... Her aura doesn’t strike me as one...” and the scrutiny continues.

 

          “Grandma, I don’t think what you said made sense. I mean no offense, of course. She made the music box react to her. Plus she’s helping me with the missing princess tale, I haven’t seen the effects of her writing yet but I think she’s fine as she is... “

 

There’s irritation in Sung Gyu’s voice. Lee Soo Jung doesn’t know how to react, she’s more than grateful. “I have more pressing matters to discuss with you though... I think I received a threat...” he continued, this time he sound more restrained.

 

          His grandmother’s face suddenly turned pale. Kim Sung Gyu doesn’t believe it is possible for her grandmother to be afraid; this might be more serious than he thinks.

 

          “Ms. Storyteller, if you don’t mind. I need to speak with my grandson in private...”

 

          Two house helps have appeared from an annex, ready to Soo Jung to the family room, where everybody expects her to wait.

 

          “I mind... I mean...”

 

          Did she just oppose the Kim Head? Sung Gyu is impressed. Anticipating what the girl would say next.

 

          “I’m as much a part of the story as he is... I think I have the right to know.”

 

          There’s a pause. He’s expecting his grandmother to explode. No one has actually disagreed with her for a long time.

 

          “Very well...” She gives her consent, walking towards the stairs. “Follow me, the both of you...”

 

          Lee Soo Jung just won his grandmother over and he couldn’t be more proud.