Sheet 21

Broken Music

Sheet 21

Return of the White Rabbit

 

            The day was long and all Sung Gyu wants to do is lie down and rest. Though rest doesn’t come easy, he finds himself back in the attic staring at ancient books he never paid much attention. He runs his fingers on the books spine feeling them come alive at his touch.

 

            One mistake and all this would be compromised. He made a promise to the books that as long as he exists they’ll have his protection.

 

            “Aren’t you supposed to be asleep? Your companions are snoring their way into oblivion in one of the guest rooms and you’re here being all emotional.”

 

            “It’s just... I don’t understand all this. What is she really planning to do? It’s my book too, shouldn’t I have a say on it?”

 

            “If you doubt her that much, you shouldn’t have chosen her in the first place. It would’ve been better if that Anta has gotten to her first...”

 

            He can’t imagine Soo Jung wanting to work with that Anta, her knowing what kind of person the Anta is. Nor would he let Soo Jung write for that person.  He’ll never let it happen.

 

            “You’ve grown attached to her, huh?”

 

            Without realizing, he’s been saying his thoughts out loud.

 

            “She’s been learning about us a lot. Taking out books from the olden shelves and absorbing knowledge as much as she can. I hate to admit it but she knows more than you... maybe more than me when I was your age.”

 

            He worries about involving Woo Hyun in this. The latter isn’t aware of the dangers he’s going to face. All he knows about is the adventure. It’s the same as he was when he first started book jumping. He wishes he could warn him of what’s to come too bad he himself doesn’t know what it is.

 

            “The plan—“

            “Stop worrying... I think the plan is great. I’m sure she’s thought of it quite thoroughly. The journal I gave her only works for those who are trustworthy. It never worked when I first gave it to you as present.”

 

            “Grandmother!”

 

            “Relax. Go sleep, you’ll need it.”

 

            “About the white rabbit...”

 

            “You have no idea what it is, do you?’

 

            He makes a face.

 

            “As expected of my grandson...” His grandmother laughs, slowly pushing him out of the attic library. “Get some rest, I’ll tell all of you tomorrow...”

 

            As much as Sung Gyu wants to pester his grandmother with questions about the plan, his body is feeling the exhaustion from the past days. Maybe some sleep would help him clear his mind.

 

~0~

            The morning brings so much noise to the household that he has never heard for a long time. Who would have imagined the ancestral house being so loud like this? The last time he remembers was when he was little and his grandfather was still alive.

 

            Jang Dong Woo’s laugh reverberates around the walls, you wouldn’t know that he has been captured and disowned just a few hours before. His laughter must be so infectious, he could hear his grandmother cackling and reprimanding the latter at the same time.

 

            He finds the odd trio in the kitchen regaling each other with stories Sung Gyu can’t picture being true, well coming from Woo Hyun since he never really book jumped so him talking about pirates and stuff seem to be just him bragging. He realized his best friend reads too much crappy materials for an antique store owner. He thinks it’s about time he recommends ones with more sense to him.

 

            Worry still eats at him, the thought of their charades being found out by the Anta makes him anxious. The repercussions would all be on his Narra while he would be here safe.

 

 

            “Ya! Sung Gyu, it’s too early to be brooding. Come eat. Your grandmother’s been entertaining us with stupid stories about you...” His best friend motions him towards the table, mouth full of bread.

 

            “There’s no such stories to tell...” he says as he approach the breakfast table, sitting adjacent to his grandmother.

 

            “Oh there is. There’s a lot...” the head of the Kim household looks at him with raised eyebrows. “You didn’t get enough sleep, your eyes looks smaller...”

 

            “It’s too early to be teasing me, grandma...”

 

            “Fine... Eat. We have a long day today...” She turns her attention to Woo Hyun who’s currently exchanging manhwa recommendations with the Anta. “You...” pointing at Woo Hyun’s direction. “Why do kids these days insist on colouring their hair the most unflattering colour? Your hair makes you look sullen. Stick to blacks and dark browns, they suite you better.”

 

            “But they said this is for a mission...”

 

            “I thought the exchange—“

 

            Grandma Kim shakes her head. This lot takes things quite literally. “Yes, the exchange. If you’re all done, I’ll introduce you now to the white rabbit.”

 

            Jang Dong Woo looks up with his mouth full, grinning uncomfortably.

 

            “The adventure begins then...” Woo Hyun stands up, enthusiastic about the coming events.

 

            ‘Yes, adventure is coming’, Sung Gyu thought to himself. One his best friend has never imagined or read before.

 

~O~

 

            They’re back at the attic; sitting at odd chairs except for his grandmother who’s standing at the dais where what he has always called the feature book is sitting on top of a podium. He figured his grandmother chose that spot just to be intimidating.

 

            Time seems to be moving at a snail’s pace. Sung Gyu isn’t sure if it’s to their advantage.

 

            “The books are no longer hostile towards me...” Dong Woo observes, looking around at the books on the shelves.

 

            Kim Sung Gyu knows that the books are being cautious. They have learned to get used to the Anta’s presence but they haven’t really accepted him.

 

            Magical books like people can hold on to grudges for a long time. He bets Dong Woo would only be allowed to look; opening the books would entirely be a different matter.

 

            “Forgiveness would still be a long way. Though you’re starting to make amends and the books have acknowledged that.”

 

            Hearing that from a respected member of the council, he nods in understanding. The path he has chosen isn’t always the easiest. What he knows for sure is that he has chosen without outside influence. For now, he’s truly making amends. And he’ll start by making things right again. L wants to tip the scales, he’ll have to convince his friend that by doing so would not only get them hate from the society they have belonged all their lives but more from the books that they have promised to protect.

 

            It’s time they bring everything back to the correct order.

 

            ‘Thank you...’ he whispers to no one and everyone.

 

            “So... Now that all the players are in. I’ll explain to you the true meaning of the white rabbit...

 

            The white rabbit in stories represents the guide. Alice for example was led by the white rabbit into Wonderland—“

 

            “Wasn’t curiosity the main reason why Alice was in Wonderland in the first place?” Woo Hyun interrupts. He knows he hasn’t been reading Nobel Prize books as of late but Alice in Wonderland is something that he has grown up hearing.

            “That’s what published books make you think. Louis Carroll is one celebrated Narra; he made adjustments to his stories when he decided to publish it. No one in the real world needs to know of our secrets. You just happen to be chosen by a Narra to be the white rabbit...”

 

            “How can someone without knowledge of my stories—“

 

            “And you think that’s my fault? For a best friend you never share...”

 

            “Woo Hyun can you please stop with the interruptions for a second. I never told you because you wouldn’t understand—“

 

            “I would have tried to if you explained it... I sell books for a living if you aren’t aware...”

 

            “Kids fighting would not help your cause. Kim Sung Gyu, your Narra is still in trouble in case you’ve forgotten...” Kim Sung Gyu’s grandmother reprimands.

 

            “I’m sorry... Woo Hyun... being here means danger. I never told you, well anyone really because as much as its fun, it can be pretty risky as well.”

 

            “I can take danger... although not every day. I didn’t mean to be antagonistic.” Woo Hyun looks at the Kim Head, determined to help as much as he can. “How can I do the guiding from here?”

 

            “You look exactly like the prince...” Dong Woo butts in. “I’m not... I’ve never heard it used like that before...”

 

            “Used like what?”

 

            “Sung Gyu, do you remember the paper dolls that Soo Jung substituted for us?” Dong Woo walks up to the dais right next to Sung Gyu’s grandmother. “That was a start; we are technically guinea pigs in the white rabbit plan. This is a test and you my friend...” Dong Woo points at Woo Hyun, “... would be the actual white rabbit.”

 

            Kim Sung Gyu and Nam Woo Hyun definitely did not get what Jang Dong Woo was aiming at. They could tell the latter has finally figured out what the plan was but he’s still talking in riddles to them.

 

            “To the two still clueless people in the audience, what this Anta meant was that Nam Woo Hyun here would work as a decoy. Since he’s not part of the story and neither an Anta nor a Protos, he cannot be influenced by anything Soo Jung writes. He’s the best candidate to be the white rabbit.”

 

            “How is it possible for Woo Hyun to be included in the story if he can’t get into the story?”

 

            “I’ll give your Narra the honour to discuss that with you...”

 

~0~

 

            Prince Woo Hyun is at a standstill. Everything that has been happening to his Kingdom is his fault; the country his family has sworn to protect. What he abhors most is that he (and his family) has lost control of the situation. The explosion has frightened the citizens, made them question their safety. It made them lose trust in the current regime. Trust he knows he can easily win but for the frightened citizens, that one instant when there was an absence of peace will haunt them.

 

            As he sat on a chair opposite his parent’s hospital beds, he ponders on his own role in all of this. He believes his insistence to marry the princess is the root. If only he has listened to his people none of this would have happened.

 

            How can he assume the throne when he himself is not sure he’s worthy?

 

            “Your Highness...”

 

            “Have you found anything, Ho Ya?”

 

            “Lee Seong Yeol is nowhere the Kingdom’s vicinity. I had my men scour the land, no signs of him has been detected.”

 

            “That’s a good thing for now. What are we doing as precautionary measures?”

 

            “We have men posted on all entrance and exits to the Kingdom. The castle and the all outposts are well guarded. I’ve ordered my men to have anyone who goes in should be searched. We’ve also doubled security in the villages.

 

            “Man Mi Joo’s forest. We cannot risk it being used again...”

 

            “Understood, your majesty.”

 

            Ho Ya lingers by the door, clearly not yet done. “Is there anything else you need to report?”

 

            “Your friend, the one named Kim Sung Gyu. I want to inform you that we will search him as well when he returns.”

 

            “If he returns. I haven’t seen him in a while. I do not trust his return.”

 

            “Awaiting for further instructions, your Highness...”

 

            “Make sure the people in the Kingdom safe.” And Woo Hyun too will make sure to avenge everyone.