Love is...

Cook for me,For a Last Time

For Wei Li,Jing Yi was a world.He revolved around her.

 

Being grew up in orphanage ,being outcasted for most of his life,he was like an empty bottle,yearning for love. Jing Yi was the first one who gave him warmth .She filled his empty heart with her love.They met when He was 25 years old,final year resident while she was 20 years old,first year medical student.A spark ignited a fire of love.Their relationship quickly advanced from being senior-junior to lovers.Like a fire,their love burnt passionately.Then they knew that the are serious.The were inseparable. Both of them decided to move in together with the aim of marriage.

 

“The bedsheet should be blue.” Jing Yi said.

 

“Blue.Colour of calmness. It will make you drowsy easily. Do you think we have time to sleep?”

 

“What the hell are you talking? Prevert!”

 

“I meant both you and I have a lot of stuffs to study!We don’t have time to feel lethargic.We use red?The fighting spirit?Fighting!”

 

Jing Yi seized him by the waist and pulled him against her.He then cuddled her in the folds of his arms.The both sealed the kiss on each other lips.He loved her the most in his life.

~ ~ ~
 

The Restaurant

 

Both of them barely made ends meet every month. Jing Yi focused on studying while Wei Li foot the bills and student loans. But they were happy.They had each other and depended on each other. On 3rd March 2006,it was their first anniversary. Wei Li wanted to celebrate at the high-class restaurant.He took her to ‘delizioso’,an Italian restaurant. Seeing the smile of Jing Yi was enough for him.Even if he didn’t eat,he felt full. He lied Jing Yi that he didn’t want to eat as he only had cash enough for her only.

 

The smell of Brownie was very appealing. Whenever the waiter served that to other table,Jing Yi would stare at it.Wei Li noticed that.He wanted to buy for her but there was not enough cash for that.The brownie,being signature dish,is an expensive dessert.

 

“Want Brownie?”

“yes..erm No.It is expensive.More expensive than the main dish..” Jing Yi whispered.

Wei Li looked at Jing Yi.He knew she want that.

 

“I need to go restroom.Wait for while?” Wei Li told Jing Yi.

Jing Yi innocently nodded her head.Wei Li then quietly sneaked towards the counter where the cashier was.

 

“Can I meet your boss?Quick.” He whispered.

 

The cashier stared at him before bringing him to a small room behind.

 

“Mr Lim here.What can I help you Sir? Any problems with food?’

 

Wei Li.No Sir.No Everything is fine.Great.Just want to request you something.My girlfriend is with me and I want to buy brownie for her but I don’t want her to know that I am buying for her.”

 

“Oh...I get it.I will ask my waiter to serve her immediately.’Free’ right? Hahaha.No worries.”

 

“No.There is more than that. I don’t..I don’t have enough money to buy brownie..”

                                                                     ~ ~ ~

Wei Li slowly approached the table and sat down in front of Jing Yi.She asked him why he took taking so long. He didn’t answer.Then a waiter brought the Brownie to their table.

 

“Sir.I didn’t order that..” Jing Yi stated.

“It is free.Mdm. Every 3rd March we serve free Brownie.It is our tradition.Enjoy.”

 

Upon hearing that it was free,Jing Yi eyes sparkled.She was escalated.She didn’t question and quickly digged in.Wei Li smiled. He rejoiced at her happiness.For her to happy,he can do anything.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

So How did he pay the boss?

 

He left his Identification card with Mr Lim and brought the cash the next day. Wei Li skipped lunch for next one month.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

2nd March 2009.Wei Li trundled towards the entrance of delizioso’.Every step that he took drained his energy. Nevertheless he didn’t stop.Broke in cold sweat,he was panting heavily once he reached the entrance of restaurant.Luckily,Mr Lim at the counter instead of other.Upon seeing almost-fainted Wei Li,he rushed to give him a hand.

 

Oh My God. Wei Li.What with you?Come Come.”He helped Wei Li to his office and offered him a glass of water.

 

“ I can’t.” Wei Li answered and smiled regretfully.

 

Mr Lim accompanied him until he was stabilized.Wei Li had lost a lot of weight.He met him a year ago with Jing Yi on their third anniversary.He was perfectly fine then. Mr Lim didn’t know what happened but he knew Wei Li needed someone to take care of him.

 

“What are you doing here if you are unwell? Where is your girlfriend? Isn’t the ‘free’ brownie supposed to be on 3rd March,tomorrow?”Mr Lim asked.

 

Wei Li didn’t answer and handed him a check.$1000.

 

“She will come alone.Maybe with someone.Or with her children in future. No matter what,please continue to tell her that the Brownie is free.I am giving this to pay for that in advance.”

 

Tears welled in Mr Lim's eyes. He didn’t know anything but he feel that he was losing him.

 

“ $1000 is too much.The dessert is only $80.And she only come here once a year.Do you think she will come here for 10+years? Wei Li,be it she come here or not,by herself or with other,I promise you I will give her free Brownie on 3rd March.So take it back.”

 

“I have too much money to spend.” He joked.Sorrow lingered around his eyes.

 

He then stood up unsteadily.Mr Lim sent him off to the entrance.Wei Li slowly wobbled away.Mr Lim looked at him until he was out of sight.

 

2.jpg