Closure 1 (Le Restaurant)

Cook for me,For a Last Time

Jing Yi perspective:

The scar he gave,will always remain.

Actually I am glad. I am glad to have Wei Li as my first love. We shared a lot of memories,the good and the bad. But I don’t want to live in those memories anymore since he doesn’t treasure them as much as I do.I’ve decided.Zhen Kai will be my medicine. He will remove all the pain that Wei Li gave.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3/3/2011

Time flies.Every second was painful for me for the past two years. Not anymore. I put on lipsticks and dressed as beautifully as I can. In that way,I can prove to everyone,and maybe to him if we ever meet,that I am a happy woman. I stepped out of my apartment and went down the spiral staircase. Zhen Kai was leaning his car,waiting for me.Our eyes met and he smiled at me.

“You know,I celebrate my life.Because I am with you now.”Zhen Kai told me sweetly.

“I too,celebrate my life because I will be curing my sickness.Prove me your love.”

Zhen Kai smiled radiantly upon hearing my request.

I asked Zhen Kai to bring me to ‘delizioso’,an Italian restaurant. It is selfish of me because it is actually a place where Wei Li brought me 5 years ago on our first anniversary.We came here every year on 3rd March.Then after break up,I came here alone on same dates,hoping to see him.He didn’t even appear. Nevertheless,I didn’t give up.Today,I want to give closure to this love.Today should be the last time I should go  there.Today is the day when Zhen Kai will prove that he is better boyfriend than Wei Li was.Today I will also prove that I am living the better life than ever.

 

The smell of lavender perfume refresh my mind.The dimly lifted restaurant reminds me of the past.The smile face of Wei Li and the laughter of mine.”Always.” the promise that he made.

I stopped subconsciously at entrance. A warm hand gently linked my hand. Zhen Kai then interlocked his fingers with mine.

 

“So my lady is unable to let go her past love huh?” Zhen Kai joked.

“Let’s go in.It’s okay to give closure” He continued.

 

Sometimes,not saying anything is the best solution.We both started our dinner quietly.I gulped down  the tasty white wine,which accompanied the delicious food. I can feel that Zhen Kai glanced at me a few time. He must be checking if I am crying or if I am still eating.Somehow,I am glad he was with me.The understanding that he give me,it was more than enough.

“HUH!I can’t stand this silence. Talk to me”

“No. I am here to be your listening ear. And...your love councillor. Tell me anything and I will give you support.Jing Yi.”

“Can’t stand you being serious.Because you are never serious. Huh.Heheh..Oh ya.Desserts.Let’s order desserts. This restaurant provides free brownie on every 3rd March. It is so delicious!”

 

“What nonsense...You are drunk Jing Yi. For whatever reason they will provide free brownie?It is their signature dish too!”

 

“I ammmm tipsy but not drunk.I came here every year.I know it more than you. Waiter!Waiter!”

It is true. I am not drunk.

 

I told the waiter to serve me free brownie ,like they always do.Somehow,he stared.Why? I remembered eating it.Why is he giving me that face? Zhen Kai face turned red from embarrassment.He was trying to signal the waiter to just bring and he will foot the bill later.The blur guy didn’t get it.But I believe there is no need to.It is supposed to be free.

"You know,the free browine that you guys always give on 3rd March?" I asked.

Then the boss of this restaurant  approached us.

 

Oh Mdm.You are here again...with?”

 

“My new boyfriend.I threw away previous one.Remember.I threw him away not opposite.Why is this guy so blur?’I pointed at waiter.The boss stared at me with regretful eyes.Then he finally answered.

 

“Free brownie,Mdm.Every 3rd March.I remember.I mean...It is our restaurant tradition.Ya..right?Hah.”the boss shuttered.

“That’s nice of you sir. I thought she was drunk and joking."

"Yes..There is supposedly... free brownie for all."

"Thank you.Can I have one too?"Zhen Kai asked politely.

 

The sweetness of brownie melt into my mouth.The alcohol has made me a little bit tipsy but it is for better.This somehow numbed my pain and allowed me to have heart-to-heart talks with Zhen Kai.The topic ranged from my college days as poor medical student to his life as a manager of insurance company. He is bubbly.His eloquent nature makes every topic interesting.

 

“Did he talk to you like this when you two were together?”He asked out of sudden.

I was stunned for awhile.Then I answered.

 

“We started dating when I was 21.He was 26.I was medical student while he was first year fellow. I was still carefree but he is more serious.No.He is forever serious. The first time,he came here,he didn’t eat.He said he had an operation and the bloody image still lingered his mind.HAHHA.Stupid right? Not even brownie even though it was free.He always carried that sophisticated image.I was the one who tell jokes while he laughed.The situation was totally opposite.But somehow,he always responded well.When I talked,he looked at me with those mesmerizing eyes and smile gracefully…”

 

“Let’s go.I want to show you something.”Zhen Kai dragged me out of the restaurant.

 

When we are outside,he placed his hands gently on my eyes.

 

“there are darkness in life and there are lights. I want to be your light. Treasure your dark past because they are memories and anticipate the lights that you are going to see.”He said.

 

A loud bang is heard and then he removed his hands.I look up the sky,the dark sky was filled with beautiful fireworks. The green,the blue,the red.It is so alluring that I could not take my eyes off.Zhen Kai hugged me kissed my cheeks softly.You don’t have to live forever,you just have to live.I am living my life right now.I am sure of that.