Smiles and Tears and Everything in Between

Dinner Surprise

 

I stood next to my father at the altar. My mother and sister sat at the front, smiling despite the tears forming in their eyes. I focused on the closed doors on the other end of the room. In a few seconds, she'd be out and she’ll join me here. These seconds would feel like hours for me. Her mother smiled warmly at me. I smiled back.

And then the wedding march started. Her three friends from her college days led the entourage. And then her best friend was next. Siwon walked in after the priest did. Next were Shindong with his wife, Nari. And then there was Donghae who was followed by Heechul and Sungmin. Ryeowook, Yesung and Eunhyuk were up next. Leeteuk walked in last. They all stood next to me. And then there she was, a vision in white, holding onto her father’s arm. She may have the veil on, but I could perfectly see the smile on her face. She looked so beautiful.

At this very moment, she still took my breath away. When they stopped in front of me, her mother hugged her tight. And then her father kissed her hand, and placed it on mine. He nodded at me once, and went to sit beside his wife. We faced the priest. She squeezed my hand. I looked at her direction.

What?I mouthed.

I love you.She mouthed at me. She looked up at me a little.

I love you too.I mouthed at her, squeezing back her hand.

“May we have the rings, please?” The priest asked.

We all turned to see my niece, my noona’s first child, walk in timidly balancing the rings on the case on her arms. My noona and her husband waited for my niece as she neared us. My brother-in-law took the rings and gave them to me. I smiled at him, and then gave my niece a thumbs-up sign. Ara placed her on her lap. She smiled at me again.

“You may say your vows. Would the bride like to go first?” The priest said.

“Thank you, Father.” She took a deep breath, and unfolded the paper tucked under the flowers she held. “Kyuhyun, I love you. The first time I saw you, I knew deep down that it wasn’t just some coincidence. The first time we went out, I knew it wasn’t just some fluffy butterflies that were fluttering around in my stomach. The first time you held my hand, it felt so right. I still remember how happy we were when we first started dating. But you have no idea how happy I felt when you got down on one knee and proposed to me. I still feel the same happiness up to now. Kyuhyun, thank you for choosing me to be with you forever. I trust you. I love you. And I wish to spend the rest of forever with you.” She looked right at me. She was happy.

“Honey,” I started, “~~~~-ah, you are perfect. You are perfect in every way. I knew you were the only one for me the first time I saw you smiling to yourself while writing on your notepad on that fateful day at the music hall. That smile is what trapped my heart. That smile is what filled my dreams day and night. That same smile is what made me love you more and more as time passed. Thank you for giving me the chance to be with you. Thank you for letting me be the one you can rely on. When I proposed to you, I didn’t doubt anything at all. And when you said yes, I knew I was doing the right thing. I love you so much. Let’s spend the rest of our lives together.”

We slipped on the rings on each other’s hands. We held on tight.

“With the power vested upon me, I now pronounce you, man and wife.” Collective sighs and intakes of breaths were heard all over the room. “You may now kiss the bride.” The priest smiled at us, lifted his hand from ours, and stepped back a little.

I lifted the veil. She was close to crying, I could tell. I leaned down slowly, staring at her all the while. I closed my eyes just as my lips touched hers. It was as if I could pour every drop of love I have for her in that one kiss. When we pulled away, she hugged me tight.

“You know this means only one thing, right?” She said to me.

“Maybe?”

“Oh come on, Kyu, you’re smart.”

“No, tell me.” I pulled away. She smiled warmly at me.

“This means I’m yours forever. And you’re mine. Forever. You wouldn’t have it any other way, right?”

“Never.”

“I love you.”

“I love you.”

She reached up to kiss me alongside the resounding applause of everyone in the church.