Suspense

Dinner Surprise

 

Friday couldn’t come around any sooner.

“Kyuhyun, we’re done setting everything up, we’re leaving now. You sure you’ll be okay?” Donghae said outside my door. I opened the door and smiled at him.

“Yeah, I’ll be fine. Thanks a lot, hyung.” I said. “Where are the rest?”

“At the living room. Come on, I think they all want to say something.” He pulled me along. We got to the living room where the rest were gathered in a wide circle. They were all smiling at me.

“Kyuhyun, we’re really proud of you. You cooked a great dinner. We’re sure she’ll be so happy when she gets here.” Sungmin said.

“Thank you.” It was all I could say. It was in these moments that I can really feel the support and love from all of my hyungs. They waved at me and walked out of the door. I turned to the kitchen and put finishing touches to the cheesecake. The dinner’s not the only surprise I have for her.

She arrived around seven. I knew it was her when I heard the sound of the elevator arriving on our floor. I turned off all the lights and stood in the living room. She knocked and I walked over to let her in.

“Kyuhyun?”

“I’m here.”

“Where? Do you intend to surprise me by playing hide and seek?”

“No, I have a surprise, remember?”

“Oh right. Sorry.” She laughed. “Well open the lights already, please?”

“Okay.” I opened them and when I saw her, I just couldn’t help but stare. She had on a simple white dress. Yet it made her look like a princess. She had little make-up on, but it was enough to light up her face. She doesn’t really like taking her hair out of its ponytail but tonight, it all fell down beautifully. I was so happy. And when I saw the huge smile on her face, I knew I was doing the right thing.

“Wow! You did all this?” She was talking about the rose petals all over the place, I suppose. Donghae and Eunhyuk did a good job of scattering the petals. It was like a soft carpet. She took the few steps towards me and I handed her a red rose. She took it with a smile. “Well aren’t you such a sweet boy.”

“Seems to be my new nickname.”

“Keep it up. It might be more popular than EvilKyu or GameKyu or what.” She suddenly hugged me. I hugged her back, letting my arms go around her body. She melted into my chest. “I’ve missed you a lot.” She said.

“More than I’ve missed you? I doubt that.” I said.

“Just because you’re pulling this off it doesn’t give you permission to be all smug.” She pulled away to pull a silly face at me. And then she leaned around to survey what else I did to the dorm. “When are we eating?”

“You’re hungry already??”

“I have a big appetite and I’m still a growing kid, if you don’t mind. Mr. Cho.” She had a hand on her hip as she said it. I shook my head lightly.

“I’m gonna have to ask you to close your eyes first.”

“Seriously?”

“Yup. Go on, closed, now.” I reached over and held my hands over her eyes. “You do trust me, right?”

“As much as I choose not to right now, I do.”

“Good. Go on and walk. We’re headed to one of your favourite places.”

“Lotte World?”

“No.”

“Museum?”

“No.” I kept one hand over her eyes and one hand in one of hers. I was leading her to the elevator. “Keep guessing.”

“Ah, I got it.”

“Really?”

“Yeah.”

“Then where are we headed?” She didn’t answer instead she squeezed my hand lightly. She wouldn’t tell me anyway. The elevator opened and I led her to the steps towards the rooftop. “Ready?” She nodded. I lowered my hand and let her go out first. I stood back to let her look around.