Doing the right thing

Dinner Surprise

 

After three more months, it was the wedding day, at last.

The rest of the guys, your friends, and some other staff of SM took care of everything else.

You’re in the comfort of your hotel room. The bridesmaids left you to have some last minute arrangements done. One of them was your best friend, who had been tasked with keeping you calm for the big day. You stood in front of the windows, breathed in deeply, and took in everything. You fixed your gown, careful not to crease it, or even move it around when you walked around.

“Okay, relax, this is it. A few more hours. Just a little more.” You told the girl who was now in front of the mirror.

“What a beautiful bride.” A familiar voice called from the door’s way. Your dad managed to get past the door silently. He looked at you. It was obvious that he was crying. “I always thought of whether I’d still be able to walk with you down the aisle.”

“Well, here we are, Dad.”

“Are you happy?”

“I’m more nervous about forgetting my vows, but yes, I am happy. Are you?”

“I’m also nervous. But look at you, you’re all grown-up. You finished the course you wanted. You’re about to marry the man of your dreams. No father wouldn’t be happy for his daughter.” He held your hands as he said the last line.

“Thank you, Dad. How’s Mom?”

“She’s fine. Your friends are busy making sure that she’s not going to faint later at the ceremony.”

“Oh, right, has she stopped crying since you got here last night?”

“A little.” Your dad admitted. “But not to worry, she’ll calm down soon enough. You, my dear, are you ready?”

“Most certainly, Dad. I sure am.” You smiled at your father. Looking into the eyes of the man who has taught you what there is to life, love, to care and work for. The eyes of the man who protected, loved, and prioritized you and your mother above everything else. The eyes of the man who you loved before anyone else. The eyes of your father. “Can this princess get another hug, Dad?” You asked, happy tears forming in your eyes.

***

 

“Will there be anything else?” The hotel staff asked Kyuhyun.

“No, that’s all, thanks.” Cho Ara answered for her brother. She closed the door, walked over behind him, and put her arm on his. “Little Kyuhyun’s all grown up and getting married today. I can’t believe it.”

“Noona, you’re not helping.”

“Excuse me? I’m not helping? I have been here since the other night, helping you finalize everything for this very day, and you say I’m not helping you?” Ara put a hand on her hip.

“I mean I am too nervous and you being here is adding to it.”

“Kyuhyun, believe me, it’s all in the mind, I would know.”

“But what if something goes wrong?”

“Like what?”

“Like if I forget a line??” Kyuhyun threw his hands up in the air as he said it. He sat down on the bed. “Noona?”

“Yes?” Ara sat down next to her brother.

“Are you sure I’m doing the right thing?”

“Kyuhyun, I trust you. With all my heart, I do. The question is, are you sure that you’re doing the right thing?”

“I love her.”

“And she loves you. And you’ll be the happiest couple alive starting today. What else is there to think about?” Ara let her little brother rest on her shoulder. “Kyu, listen to me carefully. I see the way you look at her. I see how you’ve gone from a stalker to a devoted suitor to a patient boyfriend and now, to a wonderful husband-to-be. I can feel how much you love her. I can see how wonderful your marriage will be. And most of all, I believe in the two of you. You’ve lasted this long. Five years is not to be taken lightly, young man, trust me.” Ara looked at her brother, who was now holding her hand. “So if you’re asking if I’m sure if this is right, I’m more than sure. I believe that this is the right thing, Kyuhyun.” Ara kissed her brother’s cheeks before letting him hug her tight.

“Thank you, noona.” Kyuhyun said to his sister.