Too perfect

Dinner Surprise

 

The guys knew her well, so they knew how much she loved twinkling lights. She loved being surrounded with lights, flowers, and everything that would make her feel warm and fuzzy all over. They got some silver and gold lights and scattered those all over the rooftop. There were swirls of white and gold ribbons by the table. They added some white fabric over the table so it looked like we had a private tent all to ourselves. Then there were candles on the table as well. It all made the rooftop look like she was walking among the stars. She turned slowly, taking it all in. When our eyes met, there were tears in hers.

“It’s so beautiful.” She breathed. “Thank you, really.” She got her phone out of her bag and took pictures of what was around her. I took the few steps separating us and hugged her. “Look at the camera, okay?” She said as she held her phone above us. I was sure she was smiling even if she was close to crying, but I kept my head down, wanting to bury my face in her neck. When she looked at the picture, she pouted a little. “I said look at the camera, not at my neck, idiot.” She said. She tried taking another picture, but I pulled her towards the table.

“I thought you were hungry?”

“I am.” She was about to say something else but then she saw the food. Her eyes widened, and a smile formed on her face. “You cooked all this?”

“Yes. I had a lot of help from Ryeowook. And the rest of the guys have a taste the first time I made them, and they all think it went well.” Her smile widened even more. She took a picture of the food.

“I’m so surprised. I can’t believe you went through all this just to make up for the time we’ve been apart.” She kissed me on the cheek. “Thank you.” She joined me at the table and we ate right away.

She loved the rooftop because of three things.

First, it’s one of the few places where she can clear her mind. She loves the open space and the height of it. She told me that it was “the perfect hideout especially when I couldn’t stand being too normal.”

Second, it’s where she gets to yell all she wants. It has a pretty great echo, which is perfect for when she wants to let out a lot of stuff.

And third, it’s where she said yes to me becoming her boyfriend.

“Remember the day I asked you to be my girlfriend?” I asked her.

“Yes. It was a miraculous day free of schedules. And then you called me up and made me rush here to the rooftop. I was so worried at the time. I thought you were hurt or something.”

“I know. Siwon said that you looked really pale when you passed him by the elevator.”

“But still, seeing you standing out here on your own only made me worry more. And then you turned around with a smile on your face.”

“Don’t forget the rose I held out for you.”

“How could I forget? It was a peach rose, right?”

“Yes, your favourite.” I reached over to the cheesecake. I placed it on the long table next to our table. I made sure she was looking elsewhere. I cut out a slice for her and took a box from my pocket. There was a ring inside the box. I put it on top of the slice and placed it on the table. “Dessert?”

“You’re making me fat, Kyu.” She said with a laugh. She looked right at me. The candles made her face light up differently. She really was so beautiful. “Will you please stop staring?” She said as she hid her face in her hands.

“Go on, taste the cake. I worked hard on that.” I urged her.

“Fine.” She picked up her fork and started to eat, but then she saw what was on the cake. I heard an audible gasp come from her. She dropped the fork. New tears sprung to her eyes. “I can’t believe this.”

I knelt in front of her, picked up the ring, held her hand, and looked at her. She was crying silently, holding onto my hand tightly, fighting to keep from sobbing right then. The ring was a simple diamond ring with a thin silver band. I had asked her parents for their blessing, even her closest friends. I had thought about it for a long time. I talked to the rest of the guys about this early this year. I knew the time was right. I had never been so sure of anything else, since the moment I knew I was in love with such a wonderful lady. I held the ring up where we could both see it clearly. I cleared my throat, my own tears threatening to spill.

“I love you. Will you marry me?”

She looked at me, then at our hands, then at the ring, and then back at me. Her face lit up. She smiled at me. She took a deep breath, and held my hand tighter.

“I love you, too. Yes, I will.”

I slipped the ring on her finger and kissed her hand. She was mine now. I couldn’t believe it. She said yes. She stood up to her full height and wrapped her arms around my neck. She was really crying now. I hugged her back, my own tears flowing onto her shoulder. Everything was too perfect. I wiped the tears from her face. She held up her hand to look at the ring. I was sure she was still feeling overwhelmed.

“This is the best surprise ever.” She said.

“Happy fifth anniversary.” I said before leaning down to kiss my fiancé, our hands intertwined, our hearts beating as one.