Back Through The Lightbox

Through the Lightbox
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I'm blind, Kris thought. 

"Kris..." Suho said. A hand, Kris assumed it was Suho's, grabbed his hand and folded it. "There's something else I need to tell you," Suho started. "Y-you were underwater for a really long time...not just several days...but years..."

Kris tilted his head. Okay, so now I'm blind and was underwater, presumed dead, for several years? "How long?" Kris asked.

There was a pause. 

"Y-you were found after nine years..." Suho said, almost whispering. 

Nine years...I should now be around...twenty five?! Kris was silent.

"But the scariest, or I guess strangest thing was that you haven't aged at all...you're exactly the same from nine years ago!" Kris could hear the incredulousness in Suho's voice.

So he hadn't aged...and still looked like a teenager...Wow, Kris thought. "What about you Suho?" Kris asked. "You should've aged by now as well, how has your life been? Tell me so that I can picture what's happening."

Suho was silent, thinking about what he should say. "Well, Kris," Suho said. "After I left you, I found a way out of the lightbox. It definitely wasn't easy, especially since I would be leaving you. But the world inside the lightbox is not a separate universe, it's a parallel world of Earth's. So I discovered a way out when I ran upon the place where we had first entered after falling into the lightbox. Then suddenly, I woke up. Like I didn't wake up in this world and the weirder thing was that I never out or fell asleep. I just stood in the place where we first entered then suddenly I was sitting up in bed in a house, somewhere else. At first I was so confused, was this entire experience a dream of sorts? What was it? From the theories that I've formed, this parallel world was where dreams and reality mingled. You were real, but I was a dream. When I touched the lightbox, I wasn't transported to the parallel world. I was transported back to an urbanized location, the place where our orphanage used to be. Apparently I had been a coma and in my dreams I was transported to you, our friendship was too strong. So after I discovered the theory, I decided to live a new life. I went to college and graduated, I'm a writer now. I got married to someone as well, maybe I'll introduce her to you Kris. We're currently expecting our first child together."

Kris could hear the happiness in Suho's voice. He smiled sadly. His friend seemed to be living a great life, even so, without him. He was okay with that. As long as his friend was happy, Kris was happy. 

---

Suho had left some time before. Kris was alone. He thought for a while about what Suho had told him about the lightbox. It was controlled by one's imagination and used one's fears. It was also the place where reality and dreams collided. 

Kris suddenly jolted up. He had to get back to the lightbox. He had almost died there, but what? It was controlled by one's imagination. Maybe, Kris could be able to open his eyes and see again if he went! He would lose everything that he had now and his best friend...but he had to go. He had to. He felt guilty towards Suho. His friend had finally seen him after nine years and seemed

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter