A New Challenge

The Morning Star, Venus

It had been a couple of week or so after GuiGui woke up. Everything had been going well in Dong Wu Academy, no more attacks and all. Well, of course who would be stupid enough to attack an academy where the second young mistress of the Cai Family went to?

The dean was more than happy to find out that GuiGui finally regained consciousness and not only that, he also gained two new amazing students, Xiu and Wu Xiong. Although Wu Xiong kept saying that she wanted everyone to treat her as Wu Xiong and not as the second young Mistress Cai Yi Zhen, most of the students and faculty members were having a hard time doing that. Luckily for her, the people closest to her, namely GuiGui, Pets, Wang Zi, Calvin, Xiu and Wu Hu Jiang, adapt this very quickly.

And in no time at all they had become good friends, especially Pets, Wu Xiong, and GuiGui. The boys, even though they were not that close yet, were at least they making progress. Every morning they walked to campus together, mainly because the boys said they want to protect the girls. Well, it was quite a reasonable excuse especially since the three girls lived alone and separately.

Wu Hu Jiang, who all lived together in a house they owned together, already invited the others to live with them since their house was like a mansion, but all of them refused. Well, Wang Zi and Xiu actually did not refuse, but they could not stay because scholarship students had to live in the campus dormitory, which ironically was next to Wu Hu Jiang’s house.

Calvin declined the offer saying that he still loved his house and also he prefered to live alone. Pets and GuiGui also refused because they already had their own house and said that it would be inconvenient to move because they had so much stuff. And since there would be no other girl in the house, Wu Xiong also refused by saying that her dad already provided all the accommodation she needed.

And now, there they were back in class. Wu Xiong was granted some privileges and was able to get into the same class as GuiGui and she also asked the dean to transfer Xiu to their class. So now, she, GuiGui, Pets, Wang Zi and Xiu were in the same class. 

Everything was finally return to the way it was. Nice, quiet, peaceful. Well, that was until…

BANG!!

And soon enough the school was filled with noises of series of attacks and sirens.

“What was that?” Wu Xiong asked.

“That was the warning siren. That means the campus has been attacked,” GuiGui explained.

“Not again,” Pets complained, “I was just beginning to enjoy the peaceful weather.”

Everyone quickly gathered around the nearest windows to see what had happened. From there, they could clearly see the view of the front gate. About twenty men or more were surrounding the area, but mainly the front gate. It looked like they are ready to start a gang war. And to their surprise, the one standing in front of those men was none other than…

“Ao Quan,” Wang Zi whispered.

“So that’s Ao Quan,” Wu Xiong commented.

“Hey, I thought you locked his power or something?” Wang Zi asked, turning his head over to GuiGui.

“I did. But it’s already more than a month so the lock is automatically broken,” GuiGui explained.

From the current floor they were at, they can see all the action that was happening in front of the main gate. Wu Hu Jiang, except Hong Zheng, was already standing tall in front of the main door, just after the main gate. Behind them was the student defense team. And now they just needed to wait for the first attack.

“Pets, wait!” Xiu suddenly shouted.

The moment they heard that, Wu Xiong, GuiGui, and Wang Zi immediately turned their heads, only to see Pets running around the hall with Xiu behind her.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“What do you want?” Boyan asked.

Being the strongest in Wu Hu Jiang, he sometimes had this tendency to be arrogant that could lead to his downfall. Luckily, the other member always reminded him of this attitude and managed to keep himself grounded.

“Boyan! Shut it!” George said softly while slightly shaking his head.

Boyan immediately went quiet, especially after he saw the intense glare Benji was giving him. Benji, the silent leader, he did not have to say much, but the other members understood him perfectly.

“As you can see I have the campus surrounded. Just give me Wang Zi and the girl, and I will leave in peace,” Ao Quan said.

“And what makes you think that we will just give them to you?” Pets answered out of nowhere.

Boyan, George, Benji, and Shao Xiang were completely taken by surprise. They sometimes forgot that Pets was a great fighter herself. And one of the key indicators of a great fighter was that she had very quiet steps.

Ao Quan’s henchmen suddenly went into position and so did the student defense team. Benji looked up to check the roof and finally got an okay signal from Hong Zheng who was monitoring from there, indicating that if battle suddenly breaks they were ready. As soon as he gave the signal, Hong Zheng immediately went to battle position, standing proud with silver bow in his hands and a case full of silver arrows slung around his waist.

“Benji, there is around 20 people surrounding the main gate, more if you count the whole campus. They have weapons, mainly chains, daggers, and darts. I think they will go for long range attack,” Shao Xiang informed.

Benji just nodded. Shao Xiang was the head intelligence of Wu Hu Jiang. He was known for his knowledge in weaponry and also his readings about other people’s powers. Well, reading people’s power was something that high level martial artist could do, and all members of Wu Hu Jiang were able to do it too, but Shao Xiang’s ability to do that was usually more detailed an accurate.

“Listen Miss, I suggest you move away or you’ll get hurt, or do you want me to take you along with those two rascals?” Ao Quan said back.

“Why you-” Pets started to march.

“Aren’t you a bit chicken to pick a fight with a lady?” Calvin said this time.

He slowly walked from the shadow of the trees, revealing his pale face and murderous gaze.  Everyone was completely surprise to see him. Where did he come from? He really was like a ghost that comes and goes without anyone noticing, really creepy.

“Calvin, you stay away from this! Let me deal with him and let me show him the true power of Ceng Pei Ci!” Pets shouted while running towards Ao Quan. (Note: Ceng Pei Ci is Pets’ Chinese name)

But to her disappointment, she was suddenly being pulled back by Wang Zi and Xiu on each arm. She quickly struggled and commanded them to let her go, but the both of them were not listening, especially with both Benji and George signaling them not to let go.

“Finally, the two of you showed up!” Ao Quan said.

“Ao Quan, I see you brought the whole gang around. Long time no see, Xiao Yu, Wei Lian, A Wei,” Wang Zi said, still holding the struggling Pets.

The three guys mentioned just stay still as if they did not hear him, hard to believe that they were friends before, best friends in fact, even with Ao Quan. But that was a long time ago. And just like any other friendship, they grew apart and soon best friends turned to rivals and eventually enemies.

“I’m not going to repeat myself. Either you and that girl come with me or we will force to use alternative ways,” Ao Quan said.

“What kind of coward are you?! Two against twenty and one of them is a girl! You CHICKEN!” Pets shouted.

“JUST SHUT IT! WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE? I BET YOU CAN’T EVEN DO A PROPER ATTACK! YOU’RE JUST A YOUNG MISS FROM A RICH FAMILY THAT CAN DO NOTHING BUT ORDER PEOPLE AROUND! SISSY!” Ao Quan shouted back.

And that was where Pets draw the line. No one, and repeat, NO ONE, called her like that. All of her anger was boiled up. Her face was all red and in a matter of seconds she was going to burst.

“AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!” she screamed in a very high pitch voice.

Everyone in the whole campus, including Ao Quan and his gang, immediately covered their ears, which cause Wang Zi and Xiu to let go of her. Her scream was not only high pitch, but it was also VERY loud as if she was screaming using speakers. But that was not the worst part. The frequency of her scream was so high that all the glass in the campus immediately shattered, causing everyone neared them to project force fields to protect themselves. It was true that there had been rumors that Pets’ strength was her voice, but everyone thought that those rumors were to be taken figuratively, as in she had a great singing voice, in which was true. So everyone was completely surprised to see that her voice was literally her strength.

“YOU’RE DEAD!” Pets shouted with all her might.

Slowly she spread her arms out and then moved them upwards. Her eyes were full with anger and the intensity of her stare was thousands more than when she stared at Wang Zi.  Her short hair was slowly standing up due to the electric current lingering around her body. She was fuming, literally fuming. Everyone was still shocked by her scream that no one noticed what she was doing, especially since they were all busy trying to make the ‘ringing’ sound in their heads disappeared.

What everyone did not notice was the fact that when Pets slowly moved her arms, the shattered glasses on the floor were also moving. At first they were just shaking on the floor, but then each piece of shattered glass was floating in mid-air.

GuiGui was the first one to recover, and then followed by the rest. However, it took time for them to realize what Pets was trying to do because all they saw was Pets who was still angry with both her hands in the air. And then, the realization hit.

“DUCK!” GuiGui shouted.

“FORCE FIELD!!!” Benji shouted after. Everyone was very quick that the moment they heard that, they immediately ducked and projected force field around themselves.

They could consider themselves lucky because second later Pets suddenly moved her hands forward with all her power and along with that, all pieces of broken glasses also moved with amazing speed towards them.  

While everyone else was busy protecting themselves to even realize what just happened, Hong Zheng on the other hand, watched in awe. From the rooftop he could see all the action. It was an amazing sight to see. It was like thousands and thousands of small glass arrows marching over towards Ao Quan and the gang.

What Ao Quan and the gang saw was the exact opposite of what Hong Zheng saw. It was not an amazing sight, it was terrifying for them. They had barely recovered from Pets’ scream when they saw thousands of small glass arrows marching towards them. And the fact that they could see Pets standing proudly with her arms open in the middle of it all made it even scarier, especially when they saw Pets’ murderous gaze towards them. That added a whole other level to their scare meters. It was like her whole body was covered with fire.

Luckily for them, even though they were scared to death, their reflexes were quick enough to form a joint force field. Ao Quan, Xiao Yu, A Wei, and Wei Lian who was standing in the front, quickly stretched their arms in front of their chest and then opened their arms to the side (something like opening a double door). Soon, a huge force field was created in front of them. However, this force field was a bit different. Yes it was transparent like everybody else’s but it is not colorless transparent, it is black transparent, which was odd.

It was true that the color of the force field may vary depending on the individual, for example GuiGui’s force field was colorless transparent, Wang Zi’s was bluish transparent, and Wu Xiong’s was purplish transparent. Almost every color was normal for a force field, except black.

And what was weirder about this force field was its power. Usually when arrows or glasses hit a force field, they would just stop and fall, like what happened when it hit a plastic membrane. But now, when the broken glasses hit that force field it suddenly shattered into tiny pieces. It was turning into grain of glass that eventually as smooth as sand.

“No way,” Pets whispered in disbelief.

“YOU THINK YOU CAN DEFEAT ME WITH THAT SILLY TRICK?!” Ao Quan shouted.

He looked over to his left to see Xiao Yu and then to his right to see Wei Lian and A Wei. He nodded to them and they nodded back. Soon they were doing a similar gesture like what Pets was doing earlier.

First, they positioned their hands on the side and close their palms. Slowly they lifted their arms up. Along with that, the broken glasses that were already transformed into sand slowly rise from the ground and forming small balls as big as a normal fist. When the balls of sand were high enough, they suddenly opened their fist and the balls of sand were quickly caught on fire.

Suddenly an arrow shot through one of the fire balls. But it did not do any damage. It just went straight through it and landed on the ground. Ao Quan saw this and quickly shifted his gaze towards Hong Zheng and let out a satisfactory smirk.

“No way,” Hong Zheng hissed after he saw his arrow being useless. He did not know what to do next and just stare blankly at the floating fire balls. If they started to attack he would not be able to do anything to help.

“TAKE THIS!” Ao Quan shouted.

And soon enough, the four boys motioned their arms forward, causing the fiery balls of sand to march towards Dong Wu Academy.

“FORCE FIELDS!” Benji shouted.

Immediately everyone projected their own force fields. Some were for themselves; some were also for the others. Everyone was already on their knees trying to defend themselves from the attack, everyone except Wu Xiong. She was standing tall in front of the others.

“What are you doing?!” Calvin shouted.

“Just watch,” Wu Xiong said while still focus on the attacks.

Wu Xiong stretched out her arms and legs, and then closed her eyes, trying to gather all the energy she needed. Cold air current suddenly rushed towards her and immediately circled her. At first from her feet and then moved upwards until it enveloped her whole body. The circular motion went faster by the second that with eyes it looked like a small tornado.

Seconds later, her eyes sprung open and she suddenly pushed her arms forward, pushing all the cold air towards the fiery sand balls. With her arms still stretched out in front of her body, she then moved her arms to cross each other and then formed a fist with each hand. This motion caused the cold air to envelop the fiery sand balls and immediately put off the fire.

After letting out a small smirk, she suddenly spread out her arms out with great amount of power while opening her hands. The floating sand balls in front of her suddenly burst out and fell slowly into the ground as nothing but harmless sand.

Everyone was at awe. Seeing a member of the Twelve Noble Family fights was completely different than seeing a normal person fights, not just in strength but also in skills and charisma.

However, it was not over. The sand suddenly lifted up to the air just like before, but now instead of small balls, the sand gathered together and created one gigantic ball of fire.

Wu Xiong’s eyes widen in horror. Sure she could manage hundreds of small fire balls, but one gigantic fire ball was hard, especially since her basic element was air. For small fire balls it was easy because the cold air could put them out. But it would be hard if the fire was massive because instead of putting them out, the cold air Wu Xiong usually used will only supply power towards the fire and made the flame even bigger.

“GUI!” Wu Xiong shouted.

“ENHANCE FORCE FIELD!” GuiGui shouted to everyone while running towards Wu Xiong.

Everyone did not even register upon what happened into their minds yet and quickly gathered together to join forces, making their force fields even stronger. All the front liners, Wang Zi, Pets, Calvin, Xiu, and Wu Hu Jiang, wanted to shout for both girls to just come back to the defense line, but it was too late. The two girls immediately linked arms, GuiGui on the right and Wu Xiong on the left. Not wanting to waste any time, the two girls immediately stretched their arms forward and opened their palms.

“COLD FORCE! / DEFENCE WALL!” Wu Xiong and GuiGui shouted together.

Soon powers from both their palms started to come out and join together, creating a huge cold defense wall. The cold air was lingering around them since the wall was so big. The others just watched, both in fear and awe. It was like looking the ball of fire marching towards them through a gigantic transparent wall of ice.

The temperature difference of the two forces was so big that as soon as the fire ball hit the ice wall, both the fire ball and ice wall shattered into pieces. But Wu Xiong and GuiGui’s work was not finished yet.

With arms still linked, Wu Xiong slowly moved her left palm from facing forward to face the ground. GuiGui, with her right palm still wide open, slowly moved her arms down. The two combining forces had forced the fire and sand to stay cool and stay on the ground so that the same thing did not happened again.

As soon as they were confident that there would be no more counter attack, both girls threw their hands to the side, which cause the sand to shattered all over the place. Feeling that the deed had been done, the two girls released their link arms which then followed by the others stopped projecting force fields.

Pets, Calvin, Wang Zi, Xiu, and Wu Hu Jiang immediately walked towards the two girls who were standing proudly, facing Ao Quan, Xiao Yu, Wei Lian, A Wei, and the rest of the gang. And from that point on the death glare begins.

“Let just end this once and for all!” Ao Quan started. He looked at them one by one before finally stopping at GuiGui and then moved to Wang Zi. “Come to the warehouse the day of the full moon. I’ll be waiting.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yesterday was a tiring for everyone. It was just full of surprises. Whoever thought that Ao Quan would bring the whole gang and ended up a lot stronger? Whoever thought that Pets could do something as powerful as what she did yesterday? Whoever thought they would have the chance to see a member of the Twelve Noble Families defended them? It was not fun and game for them, and yet after what happened they still had more serious matter to deal with.

What Ao Quan had said was most definitely a challenge, but what other students did not realize was that it was not just a one-on-one challenge for Wang Zi or maybe GuiGui, it was a whole gang fight between Ao Quan, Xiao Yu, A Wei, Wei Lian, and their henchmen, against GuiGui, Wang Zi, Xiu, Calvin, Pets, Wu Xiong, and Wu Hu Jiang. After what happened yesterday it would be impossible if Ao Quan only wants to fight with Wang Zi and/or GuiGui, especially after Pets’ attack and Wu Xiong’s counter attack.

After Ao Quan and his gang left the campus yesterday, GuiGui and the others immediately gathered and discussed strategy. They had to do it quick since they needed to gather information and train, and the fact that the day of the full moon was just 9 days away made it hard for them. However, before they could start upon anything, they could not help but to argue upon deciding whether the girls should join or not.

So there they were, on their way to the campus. It had been few days after the attack and less than a week to the duel with Ao Quan’s gang, but they still could not decide on anything because the girls were just too stubborn to just sit and do nothing, while the boys were also equally stubborn not letting the girls come with them.

After a long silence, Pets finally managed to say something to the others halfway on their way to campus.

“Did anyone notice that Wu Xiong is not here?” Pets asked.

“I thought you know where she is. Do you know where she is, GuiGui?” Wang Zi asked.

GuiGui did not say anything and just shook her head.

“Come to think of it, Calvin’s not here either,” Xiu said this time.

“Aishh. That guy is like a ghost. I was even more surprised that you realized that he’s not here,” Boyan said.

And then silence. It had been awkward for them to be together without discussing the duel. And if they were to discuss the duel they would get nothing as a conclusion and would end up fighting upon whether or not the girls should join the fight. The girls would keep saying that they also need to join to help them. As in for the boys, they kept arguing upon how men supposed to protect women, which then led to the whole ist issues. This was followed by the girls’ argument about the fact that when Ao Quan came with his gang to attack the school they were the ones who protected them, so their powers were not something that can be look down upon.

Of course the argument did not end there. The boys defended themselves by saying it was Pets who was short tempered and attacked first, and it was Wu Xiong who was overly confident in blocking the small fire balls which then ended up asking GuiGui for help. They argued that it was not them who asked to be helped because they are capable themselves, but it was the girls who were just reckless. And of course that argument led to another argument which then led to another one, and another one, and another one, and so on. And it was tiring to fight every time they discussed that because both parties were just equally stubborn.

And yet somehow after that long silence, they finally ended up in campus arguing over the same arguments they had been fighting for the last few days. Who started and how did that happened? Well, nobody knows.

Yet, something different happened to them today. Unlike the previous arguments in which they stopped because they were all tired and getting nowhere, this time they stopped because of something else. Something that was so shocking that they cannot help but to stop arguing and gasped in disbelief.