Getting Hurt

The Morning Star, Venus

A fifty year old man paced back and forth in front of his office window, overlooking Ao Quan who had just managed to send another one of his “Black Thunder Hands” towards the main gate, causing black marks on the wall and a terrible shake to the building. Over the years of being a martial artist as well as a teacher, never once did he saw a power like the one he demonstrated. It was odd and weird, and yet after all those years of training in different parts of the world, he still did not know what kind of power is that.

A knock in his office door snapped him from his deep thought. Moments later a boy came in. The way he carried himself was full of charisma and humility. His eyes were dark and intense. His broad shoulders and visible muscles in his arms showed how much effort he put in his training. His dark brown hair was cut in a simple way, remaining short and tidy, but still stylist.

“Dean Thomas, you called?” he asked, his deep voice echoing inside the hollow room.

“George, finally you arrived,” the old man said. George just nodded. “So what do you get?” he asked.

“These are the files regarding the new transferred student, Sir.” George said while laying a folder on the Dean’s desk.

The Dean walked away from the window towards his desk and flipped open the folder. Inside, there was a picture of Wang Zi with few other details about him.

“His real name is Qiu Sheng Yi, but he preferred to be called Wang Zi,” George started.

“Wang Zi?” Dean Thomas asked while raising his eyebrow.

“Yes Sir. He was the top fighter of in his previous school, Yi Sheng University. And he is the oldest in the Qiu family. This is why many called him Wang Zi. His little brother, Qiu Yi Cheng, or more commonly known as Mao Di, has now taken over his territory,” George explained further.

“You said his family name is Qiu?” Dean Thomas asked again.

“Yes Sir.” George said while nodding his head.

“Qiu is not an honorable family or a family from high class. How can he enter Dong Wu Academy?” Dean Thomas asked.

“His martial arts skill is something that people cannot look down upon, Sir. I say that his skill is not far off from mine. Although his skill is not as strong as mine, but it is unique. And combine with his incredible strategic ability; it makes him a tough opponent. That’s why the board of the campus gave him a scholarship to study here.”

Dean Thomas just nodded upon hearing George explanation. “Then, what’s the deal between him and that guy in front of the main gate?” he said in concern.

George handed out another folder to Dean Thomas. “His name is Ao Quan. In short he was Wang Zi’s rival in his previous school. When Mao Di took over his territory, Ao Quan was determine to take over but lost. He was not willing to give up and thus he came here to challenge Wang Zi. I believe that perhaps this Ao Quan thought that if he defeats Wang Zi then Mao Di’s territory will be automatically became his.”

“If he has problems with Mao Di why he attacks Wang Zi and our campus?” Dean Thomas asked while shaking his head. ‘Kids these days, all they think about are pride and nothing else,’ he sighed.

“Well, since Mao Di is Wang Zi’s little brother, he will obey him. Thus if Ao Quan wins, Mao Di’s territory will be his. If he defeats Mao Di, Wang Zi will still be able to take over again, but if he defeats Wang Zi, Mao Di will have no choice but to obey him.” George explained again.

Dean Thomas just let out a sigh. “I don’t care what he wants or who he wants to fight. I just don’t want him to destroy our campus.”

“WANG ZI! HURRY UP AND FIGHT ME! WANG ZI! YOU COWARD! WANG ZI! COME OUT AND FIGTH ME! WANG ZI!” Ao Quan shouted.

Dean Thomas let out another sigh. “Isn’t he tired? He’s been shouting for almost thirty minutes now. And his voice hasn’t died down a bit. This is getting more annoying by the second.”

“What are you proposing we should do, Sir?” George asked.

“You and the rest of Wu Hu Jiang fight him.” Dean Thomas said sternly.

“I’m sorry, Sir, but the other members are unavailable.” George answered.

“What do you mean by unavailable? Do I have to make an appointment just to see them?” Dean Thomas asked back. He was getting anxious by the minute.

“I’m sorry that you take it the wrong way, Sir, but they are not here. Bo Yan is in the capital to attend his sister’s engagement party. Benji is still in America due to numerous demonic attacks towards his father’s army. Shao Xiang is helping his mother in threating the wounded soldiers. And Hong Zheng is in China to pay respect to his deceased master.” George explained.

“Then you go.” Dean Thomas said.

“I’m sorry, Sir. But I’m still in my meditative state. My powers are locked away until later this week.”

“Then what are we going to do? It’s obvious that Wang Zi is not going to fight. I just can’t let some lunatic destroy our campus.” Dean Thomas said with concern.

“I maybe can’t fight, but I know someone who can.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Him? Are you sure?” Dean Thomas asked while pointing at the guy in the distance.

“Positive.” George said while nodding his head.

The both of them were standing across the campus park. Across them, lay a guy that was apparently sleeping under the big tree, right in the middle of the park. Whether he was really clueless to all the commotion, or he just acted that he does not hear them, no one knows.

Dean Thomas let out a deep sigh before finally walked towards the sleeping person under the three. He had been sighing a lot today. This kind of stress was not good for a man of his age.

As George and Dean Thomas finally stood in front of the said guy, the guy kept still as if he did not noticed their presence. Suddenly George coughed, letting him know that he got himself a visitor.

“I was waiting for you to speak up. What do you want? You better have a good reason for interrupting my sleep,” the guy said still with his eyes closed.

“Is this your way of speaking to the dean?” Dean Thomas asked.

“Shakespeare said ‘What’s in a name?’. I don’t care if you’re the dean or the King himself, bless his soul, you’re just a person and I treat everyone the same,” the guy replied.

“Calvin Chen, please be respectful for once,” George said.

Calvin sighed and opened his eyes to see his visitors. “President Hu, what do you want?”

“We need you to handle Ao Quan, the guy who has been attacking our campus since thirty minutes ago,” George said.

“Why don’t you do it? What is the purpose of having a combat team like Wu Hu Jiang if at the end it was the students that have to take charge?” Calvin said back.

 “The rest of Wu Hu Jiang is away right now and I’m still in my meditative state,” George stated.

Calvin took turn on staring Dean Thomas and George. George stayed calm, while Dean Thomas anxiously tapping his foot. After a few more seconds of intensive staring, Calvin finally stood up and faced his two visitors.

Calvin immediately towered the two of them. He was taller than them and he was quite skinny too, though his biceps are still visible through his clothing. At glance, he might seem like a model, especially with his long neck, high bridged nose, flawless white skin, and his short dark hair that stylized in a messy way.

He let out a sigh and then cracked the knuckles of his fingers and his neck. “Might as well get some exercise.”

“STOP!” someone shouted just before Calvin walked towards the main gate.

Calvin, Dean Thomas, and George immediately looked up to see the person who was stopping them. It was none other than the person who caused all this mess in the first place, Wang Zi.

“If there should be a person fighting Ao Quan, then it should be me.” Wang Zi said.

Calvin just smirked upon hearing this. George on the other hand, kept his cool. The dean, however, was left dumfounded. Dean Thomas then shook his head. ‘Kids these days and their mood swings,’ he thought while letting out a gentle sigh.

“The dean and President Hu had just asked me to take care of this matter, and I’d already agreed. Where were you when he first arrived here and shouted your name?” Calvin said while walking closer to him.

“I had some things I need to take care of first. In which it is none of your business. Now, let me just handle Ao Quan for now,” Wang Zi answered.

“Up to you. At least now I have more time to sleep. And besides, I think it would be unfair for that Ao Quan guy if I’m the one dealing with him. He might not last three second against me,” Calvin said with his usual smirk. Yes, he was quite obnoxious, but hey, with the amount of power he has, flaunting it is already in his nature.

And as Wang Zi, George, and Dean Thomas left the campus park, Calvin went back to his original position and continued his nap, ignoring all the commotion that was about to happen.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Two men were standing face to face in front of the main gate of Dong Wu Academy. They had not even started fighting but the intensity in the air could kill. Even though they were standing four meters from each other, but their gaze was just so intense that when people look a bit closely, they could see the lightning struck cause by the friction of their gaze. They were that powerful.

While the two rivals were busy sending death glare at each other, the others were busy watching them. Some girls kept saying ‘Handsome’ towards both parties, some boys kept chanting ‘FIGHT!’, and the others just quietly watched; which was exactly what our heroine, GuiGui, and her best friend, Pets, were doing.

“Ao Quan, Yi Sheng University is no longer my territory. If you want to rule, you have to fight my little brother, Mao Di, not me,” Wang Zi said.

“SHUT UP! I’m going to deal with the territory after I finish you!” Ao Quan replied.

Wang Zi stayed quiet. It was a typical routine for the both of them. Ao Quan went to see Wang Zi and challenged him, acted all tough and trying to win. But at the end, everything always fell into the same place, in which Ao Quan usually went home all beaten up by Wang Zi. And after all this time of the same result in fighting each other, Ao Quan had never shown any indication of giving up. He was that determine, or he was that stupid to not know his own limit.

Wang Zi kept his eyes locked at his opponent before him. Something about Ao Quan was different somehow from his usual presence. Something odd that Wang Zi could not put a finger on.

“What? No nun chucks? No daggers?” Wang Zi asked suddenly.

Ao Quan suddenly moved his left foot forward and opened his arms, he was ready to attack. But before he did that, he let out a smirk. It was unusual for Wang Zi to see that smirk. Yes, Ao Quan was also cocky and over confident like he was, but he had always been serious when it came to fights, and that smirk clearly showed that Ao Quan was not as serious as before.

“I don’t need any of those to defeat you,” Ao Quan said.

And before he knew it, Ao Quan had already moved forward with his fist ready, attacking him. Luckily for Wang Zi, he finally managed to dodge it, a split second before Ao Quan’s fist made contact with his flesh.

The fight had now officially begun. Ao Quan kept throwing punches at Wang Zi, while Wang Zi kept dodging and blocking them, and occasionally punches Ao Quan. Everything went so fast that to the eyes, it just looked like a blur. As if that was not enough, they began to use their legs to. Punches, kicks, blocks, everything happened in lighting speed. The fight was so intense that the friction cause by those punches and kicks had managed to create sparks, literally fire sparks.

As the battle between the two intensify, the sparks grew bigger and bigger. The fight had looked like big blur before, and then it looked like a ball of light, a moving ball of light. The both of them kept punching and kicking each other while trying to avoid the other’s punches and kicks that they moved in circular motion, creating a spinning ball of light.

It was intense. And honestly, no one saw that coming, especially Wang Zi. As for the other students and faculty members that were watching, this was so much better than watching an action movie. This fight was so interesting that even Calvin, the guy that had no care for the world, had spent his sleeping time to take a glance at it.

Just as the audience was expecting something amazing for the , the ball of light suddenly disappeared. The two boys finally jumped away from each other, both were out of breath. It seemed that no matter how many punches and kicks one throws, the other would not give up and kept dodging.

Wang Zi and Ao Quan just stared at each other while catching up their breath. The intensity in their eyes had never left, and seemed to intensify for each second that passed.

Wang Zi wiped away the beads of sweat on his forehead, while still staring at Ao Quan. Never once in his life that he thought he could get so worked up over fighting against Ao Quan. Sure he was a great opponent, but Ao Quan’s ability was far below him, and even below his brother, Mao Di. It was his determination that made Ao Quan a great opponent, not his skills. However, after fighting with him, he noticed that Ao Quan had improved his skills, a lot. He was faster, slicker, and stronger than before. If Wang Zi did not take this seriously, he was sure going to get beaten up in a matter of seconds.

It did not stop there; Wang Zi noticed something else that was different about Ao Quan beside his strength and speed. It was his aura. Wang Zi could not explain it but somehow his aura was completely different than it used to. His aura changed his fighting style and everything. It was like Ao Quan was a completely different person.

But before he came up with the conclusion to all his thoughts, Ao Quan had already begun to charge towards him. Just meters away from him, Ao Quan suddenly jumped. Wang Zi knew that he was going to attack him from above, and he would not just stand and be in the receiving end of Ao Quan’s kick or punch. He quickly jumped up to the sky with his fist high in the air, targeting Ao Quan.

Ao Quan on the other hand, was already floating in mid-air. Seeing that Wang Zi followed him, he immediately forced himself down. With his right leg facing straight to Wang Zi, ready to kick him any time.

And when Ao Quan’s kick finally met Wang Zi’s punch, the friction of energy was so massive that it created an explosion of light that temporarily blinded everyone in sight. Everyone was forced to turn away from the bright light cause by the two.

And yet, the bright light did not affect the two enemies. They just kept fighting. Hitting, punching, kicking, everything. The frequency of each attack was so fast that no one really knew who punched whom. The two was just a big ball of light floating and spinning in mid-air. It really looked like they were seeing a second sun. That was how bright it was.

Just as the audience was anticipating for something big to happen, the two suddenly jumped away from each other again. After a couple of twirling in mid-air, the two finally landed safely on the ground, with their back facing each other.

Even though fighting in mid-air requires more strength and power than fighting on the ground, the two seemed to breathe more at ease than before. While still in his pose, without even turning his head to look at Wang Zi, Ao Quan let out a smirk, a smirk of victory.

And sure enough, on the other side of the battle field, Wang Zi still held his poise when blood slowly started to stream down from the corner of his mouth. At that moment, he knew that he has to step up his game to be able to defeat the new and improve Ao Quan.

And the two rivals finally turned around to face each other once again. The intensity in their eyes had never left and in fact it kept getting stronger by each attack they use.

“Surely the great Wang Zi is not giving up now, is he?” Ao Quan mocked.

“Not in this lifetime, you dog.” Wang Zi replied while wiping away all the blood from his mouth.

“Black Bursting Punch!” Ao Quan suddenly shouted.

Without warning, a black fist-shaped ray moved directly towards Wang Zi in lightning speed. It was lucky for him that he was able to see it moments before the powerful attack hit him, thus he was able to avoid it by leaping to the mid-air. Because if he was late for just a split second, he might end up like the tree behind him, all got burnt to ash.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While the two boys were busy throwing punches, kicks, and attack rays towards each other using numerous spells, the other students were busy watching the whole show. And not just the students, even the faculty members joined the fun.

Everyone was quite surprise on how intense the battle was and how unique both fighting skills were. Even Pets, who normally did not care one bit about the ordeal on other people’s business, felt drawn upon the incredible fight and just simply could not refuse to watch.

“I guess that Wang Zi guy found someone who matches him.” Pets suddenly stated. Her eyes were glued to the battle in front of the main gate. It was rays after rays, punches and kicks, force field, everything. The fight was so amazing that Pets herself could not describe it.

Pets kept quiet to wait for GuiGui’s responds. She finally realized why Wang Zi was so cocky when he first arrived. He was good, really good. Another black ray directed to Wang Zi, but Wang Zi was able to block it with his own powerful attack.

“Blue Dragon Shield!” Wang Zi shouted. And with that, blue ray in the shape of a dragon comes out from each of Wang Zi’s hand. The two blue dragons tangled together in spiral motion. And when Wang Zi’s blue rays finally hit Ao Quan’s black rays, the impact was so great that it caused an explosion that forced everyone to look away and shield their eyes. Not only that, the explosion was so surprising that the two was thrown back by it.

“Who do you think is going to win Gui?” Pets asked after Wang Zi and Ao Quan resumed their position.

However, GuiGui did not respond.

“Gui?” Pets asked again while turning her head to see her best friend. And to her shock, GuiGui was nowhere near her.

“Dammit! Where is she?” Pets asked herself.

Pets looked around to see where GuiGui is. She roamed the hallway quickly, but her best friend was nowhere in sight. She wanted to keep looking, but the uproar from the audience outside made her curious.

She stopped looking for a second and went to look at the window. Her eyes widen to see what just happened that made the crowds went wild. And in an instant she shouted “GUI!”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ao Quan attacked Wang Zi once more using his signature black attack. He had been doing this for a while and it seemed that he was still as energize as before. It was as if he did not lose any energy while fighting. Wang Zi on the other hand, was trying so hard just to maintain his energy. He kept thinking the best way of firing back to Ao Quan, but everything he came up with had been successfully blocked.

It was lucky for him that his defense maneuver was still good and his attack maneuver managed to serve as a defense mechanism too. Because if not, he would already been dead by now.

Those black rays are dangerous. Much more dangerous than Ao Quan’s previous attacks that he usually used. The rays were not only powerful in term of energy, but it was very fast that when the rays passed him, he felt like knives were thrown at him.

But, unfortunately his luck had finally worn out. As he was thinking a way of defeating Ao Quan, he lost his concentration by a millisecond. But that was enough time for Ao Quan to attack him yet again.

“Black Dragon Attack!” Ao Quan shouted. And with that rays in a shape of black dragon come out from each of Ao Quan’s hand. The dragons tangled in spiral motion and charged directly towards Wang Zi.

Wang Zi’s eyes widen upon seeing it. That was his signature move and Ao Quan copied it! The difference between his attack and Ao Quan’s was only the color! All the thought upon how Ao Quan managed to copy that move distracted Wang Zi for a second and in that second, Wang Zi had already lost the fight.

Wang Zi quickly regained concentration and created a force field around himself. However, the attack was so powerful that even with force field; he was still thrown back by it. And the friction of his force field and Ao Quan’s attack caused a bright light that forced him to look away.

Seconds after Wang Zi was able to see again, he was caught by surprise to see rays of black hands coming towards him. Wang Zi knew that he could not give a counter attack to defend himself, so instead he lowered his head and quickly crossed his hands in front of his body to reduce the impact.

Just as he thought he was going to feel pain from the black rays, something happened. He did not feel anything at all. It was as if the black rays suddenly stopped attacking him. And then he heard the uproar from the crowd.

He slowly looked up and was surprise to see the girl that ignored him, GuiGui, standing in front of him and holding on to a force field that she created around the two of them.

“Hey! That’s not fair!” Ao Quan shouted.

“Not fair? You cheated!” GuiGui shouted again.

Ao Quan did not reply further and kept attacking GuiGui. Wang Zi immediately walked to her side and looked at her. It was not that he was not grateful to her, but being the damsel in distress really hurt his pride. And the worst part about this, a girl was actually the one rescuing him. Talk about being manly.

“Thanks, but I can do this by myself,” he said.

GuiGui did not respond and kept holding the force field around them. Ao Quan on the other hand, did not want to quit. Rays and rays kept heading towards their direction, but GuiGui’s force field was strong enough to withstand all of those attacks.

Wang Zi could not stand quiet while a girl was defending him. So he went to position and began to collect energy to fire the next attack.

“Blue Rays---“

“Don’t,” GuiGui cut him off.

“What?” Wang Zi asked, stopping his attack.

“Your attacks are useless against him. The best way to withstand them is using defense,” GuiGui answered.

“And how do you know?” Wang Zi asked back.

“Just trust me, okay?” GuiGui said again with a smile.

Everyone gasped, including Pets and even Calvin. Everyone that had known GuiGui from the day she started to study in Dong Wu Academy knew that GuiGui had never ever smiled, ever! And there she was, in the battle field, smiling, and to an unknown guy like Wang Zi to add.

Wang Zi did not know why, but he just followed what she said. Instead of sending out attacks, he created another force field to protect the two of them

However, Ao Quan did not give up. In fact, he was even more determined than ever to win.

He spread out his legs and then moved his hands in circular motion. Black rays in a shape of a dragon were coming out from his hands and the circular motion caused them to tangle together, creating a ball. The ball grew bigger and bigger by the second. And when it was big enough, he immediately pushed the black ball towards GuiGui and Wang Zi’s direction, and shouted “Black Dragon Ball!”

The impact of Ao Quan’s other attacks was nothing compare to the impact of the black dragon ball. GuiGui and Wang Zi altogether were thrown back. Their force fields were gone because the impact was so great.

Just as Wang Zi was helping GuiGui to stand on her feet, Ao Quan threw them another attack. However, Wang Zi was still aloof that he had not managed to fire a counter attack. Luckily for him, GuiGui was still alert.

“Black Rays of Death!” Ao Quan shouted while pushing both his hands in front of him. Black rays appeared and immediately charged GuiGui and Wang Zi.

“Reverse!” GuiGui shouted when she saw what was coming for them. White rays quickly comes out from her left hand in spiral motion, enveloping Ao Quan’s black rays and immediately went inside of Ao Quan’s body before he got a chance to fire another attack.

However, even if GuiGui was able to fire an attack, Ao Quan’s black rays managed to get to her and cause her to fall down.

“HAHAHAHA!!!” he laughed. “Your silly little attack is no match for my death rays! Look! Your attack went straight to my body and I don’t feel a thing!” he shouted proudly.

“You bastard!” Wang Zi shouted while looking at GuiGui who still lies on the ground. “Dragon---“

“Stop,” GuiGui said while holding his hand.

“Okay. You need to stop doing that.” Wang Zi said while looking at her hand that still holding his. GuiGui slowly let go and just looked at him.

“What now? He hurt you. You can’t expect me to do nothing,” Wang Zi said again.

“Just watch,” GuiGui said.

Both Wang Zi and Ao Quan did not understand what she meant, but Wang Zi just went with his guts, and his guts told him to follow what she said. Ao Quan on the other hand, did not want to stop until he wins. So he immediately fired another attack.

“Explosive Black Hands!” he shouted. But nothing came out from his hands this time. It was as if he was just shouting it.

Ao Quan was shocked but he did not stop. He kept shouting numerous types of his attacks, but everything ended up the same, nothing. Everyone except GuiGui was so surprise with the thing that just happened that they could not figure out what caused it and how. They were all baffled by it, especially Ao Quan.

GuiGui just looked at him while trying to stand up. And when she was finally on her feet, she slowly walked to Ao Quan who was still trying to fire attacks towards her.

“Go now,” she said with her usual cold tone, “go now before the whole campus beat you up for disrupting our peaceful day.”

“Like they can,” Ao Quan said sarcastically.

And in an instant, the whole campus was silent. Ao Quan felt his goose bumps started to stand out. When he looked around to see what happened, he saw numerous death glares were directed at him. He gulped what was left of his saliva and suddenly scribbled away from that place. His speed was so fast that after a few seconds, he was nowhere on sight.

“Thanks for helping me,” Wang Zi said.

“No problem,” GuiGui replied.

“What did you do to him anyway?” Wang Zi asked.

“I put a reverse force field in his body to lock his power. Thus he is now powerless,” GuiGui explained.

Wang Zi’s eyes went wide. Whoever thought a girl like GuiGui had such devious power like that. Sure it was a simple attack, well if you can call that an attack, but he never knew anyone that used force field in that way to win them advantages like that in battle. Of course, attacking your enemy was far more powerful, but making them powerless, it was just damn cruel!

“But I’m not that evil. I just put it to make him powerless for a month or so. I just want to teach him a lesson, not to mess in our campus,” she explained again.

Wang Zi just nodded. He made a mental note to himself not to get on GuiGui’s bad side.

As the two walked back to the building, they could see Pets, Calvin, George, and the dean walked over to them. However, everything slowly became a blur in GuiGui’s eyes. And the last thing she saw was Wang Zi’s beautiful face before everything suddenly went black.